Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Wedge High Spin Shafts

GolfSpy WD

Oddly, I'm testing a set of new Bridgestone XW-1 wedges out for a review and they came with DG Spinners. I've never tried them before, I have no problem stopping anything from a 4 iron on down and usually I'm worried about spinning shots back too much with s400, s300 and x100's. NOW, oddly with this brand new set of wedges...I cannot spin a shot back worth a crap. LOL.

Anyone else experience this?

I'm sure there's a reason a ton of tour players aren't playing DG spinners.....I wonder if there is a certain type of swing/load profile where DG spinners actually knock the spin off? The grooves in the wedges look great, milling marks on the face with similar lines across like a Cleveland wedge with zip grooves but usually a new wedge for me takes the covers off balls.

I've hit at least two shots right over flag sticks to decent greens licking my chops thinking oh baby this is gonna be nice when it rips back to the hole and instead it drop n stops.....Odd.

Now, I can't speak for the shafts, but I would like to ask if spin on your wedges is something you need.

If you still drop and stop then you hit your carry and it stops there. If you spin it back then you have a whole new element to contend with. How much do I spin it? Will it spin all the way down the hill? How much do I need to carry to get the spin right? If you just drop and stop then you eliminate all of those variables. I can spin my wedges back but I usually try to hit the carry and stop not spin it back. Yes, it looks cool but it isn't the best for scoring IMHO.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Years ago, I replaced the True Temper Dynamics on my Titleist DCI 962s with Aldila NV Pro 105 shafts. This was to relieve swelling in my hands when I played.  Instead of putting the Pro 105s in my wedges, however, i went with special wedge shafts--Aldila Lobster Pro 120s. 

The difference in feel between the 105s and the Lobsters was....non-existent.

And the Lobster spin seemed exactly the same as the TT Dynamic spin.

Put me down as a luddite and technology denier of the highest order. 

Look and feel are more dependable metrics for me.

And my 1990s flip phone still works fine.

Now, I can't speak for the shafts, but I would like to ask if spin on your wedges is something you need.

If you still drop and stop then you hit your carry and it stops there. If you spin it back then you have a whole new element to contend with. How much do I spin it? Will it spin all the way down the hill? How much do I need to carry to get the spin right? If you just drop and stop then you eliminate all of those variables. I can spin my wedges back but I usually try to hit the carry and stop not spin it back. Yes, it looks cool but it isn't the best for scoring IMHO.

Yea I love to drop and stop. That is usually the goal and I'm usually trying to knock soon off lol. I'm just saying usually with a new wedge I rip the cover off the ball and it spins like crazy but I'm unable to do this even when I want to with these. I can't hit the low checker. I can't hit the 1-2 hop n stop. I can't hit the full blast high past the pin suck it back either. It's like a these new wedges with this dg spinner shafts has taken 3 shots out of my repertoire because I cannot hit them any longer. But give me a ping or vokey and I can hit them all but it's hard to hit the drop n stop. Lol. I guess you can't hit them all the way you want. Either you get no spin or too much. In one way it's nice to swing hard and know it will just stop. On the other hand when you can't hit the 3 shots mentioned above it gets a little annoy sometimes.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Ben S
Hailing from N Aurora IL

WITB:
Putter: Mizuno by Bettinardi BC1 w/SuperStroke MidSlim 2.0 Flamed finish (1 Degree)
Driver: Ping G – Mitsubishi Diamana Blue 73 X (10.5 Degree)
3 Wood : Callaway Epic Flash – Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75 S (15.5 Degree)
3 Hybrid: Tour Edge CBX 119 – Project X EvenFlow Black 85 S (18 Degree)
3 Hybrid: Ping G – Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Blue HY 86 S (19 Degree)
4 – GW: Ping i210 - Oban CT-115 X (22.5 - 50 Degrees)
SW: Titleist SM7 S Grind - Tour Chrome - Stock S200 (54 Degree)
LW: Titleist SM7 D Grind - Tour Chrome - Stock S200 (58 Degree)
All Grips:  Winn Dri-Tec Midsize - Gray/Blue w/ 2 extra wraps low hand
Customizing:
Lime Green/Hot Pink Custom Paintfill - all clubs
White ferrules with Blue Stripes from Cell-Parts.net
Irons fitted & built by True Spec Golf
Custom Headcovers from Sunfish Golf
PING White DLX Cart Bag

Yea I love to drop and stop. That is usually the goal and I'm usually trying to knock soon off lol. I'm just saying usually with a new wedge I rip the cover off the ball and it spins like crazy but I'm unable to do this even when I want to with these. I can't hit the low checker. I can't hit the 1-2 hop n stop. I can't hit the full blast high past the pin suck it back either. It's like a these new wedges with this dg spinner shafts has taken 3 shots out of my repertoire because I cannot hit them any longer. But give me a ping or vokey and I can hit them all but it's hard to hit the drop n stop. Lol. I guess you can't hit them all the way you want. Either you get no spin or too much. In one way it's nice to swing hard and know it will just stop. On the other hand when you can't hit the 3 shots mentioned above it gets a little annoy sometimes.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Yeah, I could see that being annoying. I was just curious about you mindset with wedges. I am uncertain but I doubt the shaft would take that much spin off. I will let someone more knowledgeable about this particular shaft chime in.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Archived