Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Does golfsmith work on a commission?

Sluggo42

So I'm hanging out there hitting different clubs just goofing off. Anytime a customer looks like they might want to hit something I always instantly get out so they can try stuff out. So anyways, this elderly gent, probably my age dang it, walks up and the sales guys asks him what he is interested in.

So the guy tells him he just joined a local track and wants to start playing, and needs a new set of clubs.

So the guy hands him a rocket blade iron and starts the spiel. The guy starts swinging, and it's obvious the guy has no idea, no swing, nothing. I mean he would be lucky to break 140...

Not passing judgement, just the situation. So, the sales guys starts pimping the $900 TM's, and then rolls,out the R-1, and starts to tell him how forgiving they are etc....

My point is that the guy could have gone to Big-5 and got a full set of whatever's for $89 with a bag, and still shot the same score. I was almost feeling a bit dirty watching it all unfold, so I left as its none of my business.

But, seriously? The guy was trying to sell the poor guy $1500 set of clubs... Why?

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

First rule of sales...Don't sell out of your own pocket.

While I completely agree with your feelings it's hard to just the situation from the outside. Maybe it's just what the guy wanted to do.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

No worries if they go with commission, then I think I wanna get a job there in my retirement.

But whiskey, absolutely. A $300 set of big-5 clubs, and $1200 worth of lessons.

Which route breaks 100 first?

No worries if they go with commission, then I think I wanna get a job there in my retirement.

But whiskey, absolutely. A $300 set of big-5 clubs, and $1200 worth of lessons.

Which route breaks 100 first?

That would be a fun experiment to see played out

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Quick answer to the question in the title: Yes, they work on commission. Bonus info: No, it isn't very much.

Just to play devil's advocate: what's the benefit of a 30 handicap playing crappy equipment?

Not everyone who owns a Porsche is a good driver. Not everyone who owns a nice guitar is SRV.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

No doubt they are encouraged to push more expensive clubs on people. If you owned Golfsmith, which would you rathar sell: a $200 set of Snake Eyes clubs or $1500 worth of TM gear?

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

Their commission, at least at the local one that's shutting down, was even across the board percentage wise. That said, I've seen some distasteful stuff at the local GS before they discussed closing. Some poor information being given to customers by their newest fitter they had on more than 1 occasion. I didn't say anything to the fitter or customer, but after it happened the second time and I overheard it (separate occasions, same employee), I let the manager I knew know about what that fitter was doing and how poor the info was.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Look- if someone wants to get the best, mot popular stuff, it's your job as a salesmen to give them that. Otherwise he's just gonna go down the road and buy from someone else. It's no different than the way they were handing out mortgages 5-6 years ago.

No doubt they are encouraged to push more expensive clubs on people. If you owned Golfsmith, which would you rathar sell: a $200 set of Snake Eyes clubs or $1500 worth of TM gear?

You might be surprised by the answer to this... It all comes down to margins....

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

You might be surprised by the answer to this... It all comes down to margins....

Even if the margin isnt much, which is going to bring more people into your store? The latest TM driver or the latest Snake Eyes driver? :lol:

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Thank you - having worked in sales I know this beyond a doubt - the higher sticker may not be the highest margin and the store wants the greatest profit thus they will often pay higher commissions on less expensive items - its wierd I know.

Bottom line is I think this was a vent and I appreciate it - we don't really know enough about the entire incident to answer in an informed way. Maybe the guy said, "I'd like to see those Rocket Bladez that were in this guy JBones' bag when I was at the course the other day."

Like many places the big boxers have good, knowledgable guys that can help people and they have hacks that don't care one way or another or that think they know everything when they don't. Unless you know the store and the sales people its the luck of the draw and its always buyer beware - that's why we come here - to be informed about our purchases.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

They just opened up the new Golfsmith store in Myrtle Beach a month or so ago. They seem ok they have not tried to push me into anything. They did let me hit some clubs last week on their launch monitor but they were not pushy. They even let me bring in my Infiniti Irons I just built and compare. The people in that store are very polite and try to make sure that you find what you need. I think they did "import" (as we say down here) some people in from other areas. I do know the one club repair guy was brought in from New Jersey because he knows I have a small shop and we shoot the bull a lot. I think they are having supply problems though. I have put on quite a few sets of Medalist (their company brand) grips especially the velvets and they have been out for a week or so now. the repair guy said this morning that I put on more grips than he does. the manager went ahead and ordered the grips I needed for a customer direct so I went ahead and paid for them and they will ship them directly to me did not even charge shipping. Of course I am on their computer because I have ordered quite a bit from them in the past and have done substantial business with them through catalog sales. Truthfully I have not really paid attention to them selling new clubs to other people. I think in this area their club sales will be mostly to locals and they will mostly sell apparel and balls to the vacationers. Far as that goes that store has been outstanding so far. I know they have knocked a big dent in the PGA Tour Superstore and another local owned big box store that has 2 locations. I know it is really handy for me

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

People believe the advertising and word of mouth more than common sense and personal observation. As a matter of fact, that customer is more likely to derive satisfaction from the 1500 dollar set than the 200 dollar set simply because more experienced are more likely to look, touch, test and admire them. It's almost a sure thing that the guy with a shiny gew gaw is a trying to be new player who, at the very least, will get have a shot at the club house show considering he won't win any prizes on the fairways.

I think the salesmen do the buyer a favor by showing them the most advertised products.

Shambles

I dunno shambles,

A guy sporting $1500 worth of clubs throwing down a 138 isn't going to be getting much love anywhere, cept the salesman who ups old him. But if the guy can roll out a 95 with whatever clubs, he will have hit at least a few good shots that he will remember for a week or two.

I used to play with a guy who sucked and he just got drunk afterwards. He would pound his clubs into the fairway after his sixth clanked shot. It was brutal. He refused lessons as he didn't think they would do him any good... I never really understood why he continued week after week.

He bought a new driver and dented the crown the first day...

People believe the advertising and word of mouth more than common sense and personal observation. As a matter of fact, that customer is more likely to derive satisfaction from the 1500 dollar set than the 200 dollar set simply because more experienced are more likely to look, touch, test and admire them. It's almost a sure thing that the guy with a shiny gew gaw is a trying to be new player who, at the very least, will get have a shot at the club house show considering he won't win any prizes on the fairways.

I think the salesmen do the buyer a favor by showing them the most advertised products.

Shambles

I see those type of people all the time down here in this resort area. They tickle the heck out of me. They will be wearing $500 worth of clothes and will have $3000 worth of clubs 25 hdcp and still insist playing the furtherest back tees and cant break 100 with ball in hand from the women's tees. If you listen to them at night in the restaurant they will be talking---" oh that (insert name) course kicked our butts today we played from the championship tees I shot 115 and joe shot 125". We call them posers but to each his own I reckon.

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I dunno shambles,

A guy sporting $1500 worth of clubs throwing down a 138 isn't going to be getting much love anywhere, cept the salesman who ups old him. But if the guy can roll out a 95 with whatever clubs, he will have hit at least a few good shots that he will remember for a week or two.

I used to play with a guy who sucked and he just got drunk afterwards. He would pound his clubs into the fairway after his sixth clanked shot. It was brutal. He refused lessons as he didn't think they would do him any good... I never really understood why he continued week after week.

Dented the crown the first day too funny!! I actually had a clown call me the other day. He had dented the crap out of his new Rocketballs driver the first time on the range 3rd or 4th ball he hit. Wanted to know if I could bondo it and repaint it. I almost bit a hole in my lip to keep from laughing in his face. Told him there was nothing I could do that bondo would not stay in it after a few hits and as big as that dent was if the bondo stayed it would drastically affect the swingweight. He pulled out his credit card went to Golfsmith and bought him another one like it. A fool and his money will soon part as an old saying goes. Myrtle Beach golfsmith must really love him

G

I see those type of people all the time down here in this resort area. They tickle the heck out of me. They will be wearing $500 worth of clothes and will have $3000 worth of clubs 25 hdcp and still insist playing the furtherest back tees and cant break 100 with ball in hand from the women's tees. If you listen to them at night in the restaurant they will be talking---" oh that (insert name) course kicked our butts today we played from the championship tees I shot 115 and joe shot 125". We call them posers but to each his own I reckon.

Theres people like that all over. They cant even break 100 yet they dress like tour pros, have all the newest equipment and play from the tips. Ive always heard them referred to as, "parking lot pros".

Without me knowing whether the sales person was trying to take advantage of this man or not; this is another take on what happened and I will use myself as the example.

I took up golf in 1999 and my younger brother played Pings and after a little research on Pings I thought they would be for me. I bought a full bag of Ping ISI-Becu, the Tisi driver and a manganese bronze Anser2F IsoForce putter with the idea I would have to grow into them. As well I started right away with lessons (which are still going on). The clubs are still here looking pristine and only in the last while did they become backups when I got my Miura clubs.

The day might arrive when the Miura will not work for me because of age etc and guess what, the Pings will be back in play as they are much more forgiving than the Miura CB that I have.

So you never know the true intent and maybe this man just wanted to treat himself. Worse things to do with your money I believe.

The guys that play the championship tees are a very different story though.

So you never know the true intent and maybe this man just wanted to treat himself. Worse things to do with your money I believe.

The guys that play the championship tees are a very different story though.

I agree with this, I don't mind what people play or wear as long as they aren't playing the tips when they shouldn't and act like they are really good when they aren't.

Had a young guy a couple weeks ago come in and buy an Adams Fast 12 off the rack. I kid you not, he comes back an hour later with the head snapped off right at the hosel and said the club was faulty and seeing as he only had it am hour we took it as a return and he turned around and bought a RBZ stage 2 saying the taylormade is most definitely a superior club and yada yada. Little off topic but after reading bout the guy who dented the crown on the first day figured I'd share this little tale. These types of guys are everywhere and worse than that, I think some of them are reproducing. Lol

In Nick's Ogio Edge Stand Bag
Driver: Taylormade Rocketballz 9.5* Aldila Rip'd NV Stiff
Fairway: Tour Edge CB4 15* Rip Gamma Stiff
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro A12 18* KBS Tour X
Irons: Mizuno MP-53 3-PW DG X100
Wedges: Mizuno MP R-12 52* & 56* DG Spinner
Putter: Taylormade Ghost Spider Si 38"

Had a young guy a couple weeks ago come in and buy an Adams Fast 12 off the rack. I kid you not, he comes back an hour later with the head snapped off right at the hosel and said the club was faulty and seeing as he only had it am hour we took it as a return and he turned around and bought a RBZ stage 2 saying the taylormade is most definitely a superior club and yada yada. Little off topic but after reading bout the guy who dented the crown on the first day figured I'd share this little tale. These types of guys are everywhere and worse than that, I think some of them are reproducing. Lol

A hour? That's gotta be a world record lol

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

I agree with this, I don't mind what people play or wear as long as they aren't playing the tips when they shouldn't and act like they are really good when they aren't.

I heard the conversation from the beginning, they guy had no idea and wanted the fitter to work with him for a few minutes and suggest the proper equipment.

So the guy grabs the TM and some callaway x-hots. Tells the guys these two are the best for him. Then he boosts the monitor reabout 20% too! That was when I couldn't hang anymore...

How often do they do that anyways? When I went in with some different six irons I was hitting them about 210, and I asked the guy what was wrong with it, cuz I go 180 on a pure 6. So the guy says that somebody must have been messing with it, they aren't supposed to do that.

I never knew it could do that before now...

Anyways, I also don't care what somebody wants to buy, but that's typically people who know what they want. Tis guy was without a plan. So that's why I asked about it...

A hour? That's gotta be a world record lol

Theoo

I wasn't sure whether to laugh or cry when the guy brought it back in. Lol. It's still sitting in my office as I haven't quite decided what to do with it yet. Ill probably call adams to see if I can get a warranty replacement and send them this one back but of not i'll probably have to mark it out of stock and eat the cost on it. Or see if I'm allowed to buy it broke shaft head only for myself. But only at a ludicrous discount. It'd be perfect for my little brother if I can find the right shaft. Just hate to see the poor little thing sitting there all mistreated and alone.(the club, not the little brother. Well ok, maybe him too.)

Theoo

I wasn't sure whether to laugh or cry when the guy brought it back in. Lol. It's still sitting in my office as I haven't quite decided what to do with it yet. Ill probably call adams to see if I can get a warranty replacement and send them this one back but of not i'll probably have to mark it out of stock and eat the cost on it. Or see if I'm allowed to buy it broke shaft head only for myself. But only at a ludicrous discount. It'd be perfect for my little brother if I can find the right shaft. Just hate to see the poor little thing sitting there all mistreated and alone.(the club, not the little brother. Well ok, maybe him too.)

Lol I had something simmilar happen to me when i worked at best buy. It was during the holidays and I sold this kid a phone. Towards then end of the sale I mentioned our protection plan knowing good and well he wasnt going to get it cause he was an 18 year old kid getting a free phone. So of course he says no and I see him back in the store 3 days later with the screen shattered. The best part was his reasoning why it was broken was it got too cold in his car and the screen just cracked. I had to hold back the laughter so hard as I heard that.

I dunno shambles,

Personally speaking I hope I'm at least partly past the business of an item becoming a beauty because of price, but I'm pretty sure that for most people high cost means high beauty. How would you otherwise explain the gathering and close exams given to the more expensive bags ? You might play just as badly with a cheap set and be better able to sneak on the fairway, but you're a furtive fellow when you have to do so. It's a fact that the cost of your set does not impart skill, but that works both ways. Likewise it's a pretty good assumption that the most popular clubs are more likely to fit more people than the less popular so if you are looking to save some money and just starting out, visit the experienced bins and look for an old legend that is affordable.

Salesmen are in the store to sell you something and are the better ones are constantly assessing your reaction to the different items available. He really is there to help you decide on what you want to buy rather than what you truly, in his opinion, need. It's rare that a salesman is going to risk the ire of his boss and his job, and also your anger by trying to mold you into his idea of what your game is worthy of. That's a lot more ego than most good salesmen carry. He's there to help you decide in the direction you seem to already be headed and the indications are where you give your greater interest. Next time you go shopping, look at the customers and you're going to see what they are most interested in. A gentle bit of encouragement, all the while agreeing with the customer is all they really need to make an easy sale there because the customer is already almost sold on the product.

Shambles

Salesmen are in the store to sell you something and are the better ones are constantly assessing your reaction to the different items available. He really is there to help you decide on what you want to buy rather than what you truly, in his opinion, need. It's rare that a salesman is going to risk the ire of his boss and his job, and also your anger by trying to mold you into his idea of what your game is worthy of.

Shambles

This is probably the harsh reality. Maybe that's why I'm not in sales. I couldn't sleep at night, but then again, they probably just look at their paycheck.

This is probably the harsh reality. Maybe that's why I'm not in sales. I couldn't sleep at night, but then again, they probably just look at their paycheck.

That's the reason I'm not on sales anymore. Too much about numbers and not helping the customer gets what's best for them

But the point of the value of lessons vs clubs at this point, in my humble opinion, leans to lessons.

Don't you imagine tiger could still hit par with a set of big 5 clubs. But joe hacker will still never break 100 with rocket blades.

That's the reason I'm not on sales anymore. Too much about numbers and not helping the customer gets what's best for them

I don't mind the sales part as long as I'm actually getting a customer into something that will show them a real benefit. I actually turned a guy away the other day and sent him golfsmith/golf galaxy because he was looking for some gear for his son who is doing a lot of competing at the junior level but thinks equip is holding him back and I didn't have anything in the store that would really fit the kid or help him out. Yeah the sale woulda been nice but I told him to take the kid to someplace with a monitor and have him hit a few different clubs and recommended the used bins as a viable alternative. Granted they probably walked in a thrust a r1 into a 12 yr old kids hands but he'd definitely have more options than I could've provided.

Archived