Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

New Callaway SuperSoft Golf Ball

Tony Covey MGS

• SPY VIP

Haven't seen it, and I only know what's contained in the press release (we didn't do a Callaway visit this year), but the quick read on this is that it's Callaway's version of the Wilson DUO. 

Callaway SuperSoft 1.jpg

VAILABLE TODAY: Callaway SuperSoft Golf Ball

The main idea:
What do you get when you combine our lowest compression golf ball ever with a soft cover and HEX Aerodynamics? A long, straight distance ball that is incredibly soft. In fact, our softest ball ever. SuperSoft.

The main idea:
38 compression (not a typo!): this is the softest golf ball on the market. This ultra low compression reduces spin to give golfers that increased distance and straightness they're seeking off the tee. 

The R&D guy (Dave Bartels, Sr. Directory, Golf Ball R&D) says:
"SuperSoft is engineered with an incredibly soft core — actually zero on the PGA compression scale. It's easy to make a soft core, but it's really difficult to make a soft core that is resilient, and we were able to do that with SuperSoft. Because the soft core is so resilient, it enables us to put a soft cover on it and still achieve really good ball speeds. The soft cover is great for feel and control around the green as well."

"SuperSoft has a very soft cover over an extremely soft core that results in a ball that is only 38 compression points. That's a full 20 points softer than HEX Diablo, one of our popular two-piece balls." 

"When it comes to accuracy, SuperSoft may be the best ball on the market. It reduces hooks and slices so more golfers can get more distance and tighter dispersion."

Callaway SuperSoft2.jpg

The tech stuff:
The 2-piece ball has a polybutadiene core material and a trionomer blend cover material. A pattern of 332 geometries make up the HEX Aerodynamic technology that offers 100% surface area coverage.

The purchase info:
Available at retailers nationwide and on CallawayGolf.com TODAY, SuperSoft comes in both traditional white and optical yellow. A dozen is $19.99.

The web site:

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

I can only assume that since Wilson has 40 compression, Callaway is coming with 38 compression, Taylormade will come out 36.  Let the next innovation war begin!

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Interested to see who the ball is aimed for since they came out with the speed regimes that all have different compressions as well.  

Bag: :ping-small:  Hoofer Vantage

Driver: :ping-small:  G25 10.5 Aldila NV 65 S

3 Wood:   :cobra-small:  Fly Z+ 3 Wood 13.5*

Rescue: :adams-small:  XTD ti 18* set to 17* or  :adams-small: Pro 23* 

Irons: :callaway-small:  Apex Pro 4-PW, KBS Tour S, Standard Length and Loft, 2* flat, 

Wedges: :callaway-small: Mack Daddy 2 50* bent to 51*, KBS Tour S

:vokey-small: Spin Milled 56* bent to 55*

:callaway-small: Mack Daddy 2 60* U grind KBS Tour S

Putter: :cameron-small: Futura X5 MOTO

Grips: PURE DTX Green

• SPY VIP

I've actually been working on a prototype of a Super Soft ball for the last several months. I've managed to get the cover color exactly how I wanted it, but there's still a little work to be done on the aerodynamics and spin properties. I feel like I'm close, and when it launches, Callaway and Wilson's soft offerings are going to feel like stones compared to mine.

Here's a pic of the most recent version:

newball.jpg

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

I've actually been working on a prototype of a Super Soft ball for the last several months. I've managed to get the cover color exactly how I wanted it, but there's still a little work to be done on the aerodynamics and spin properties. I feel like I'm close, and when it launches, Callaway and Wilson's soft offerings are going to feel like stones compared to mine.

Sweet! How's the durability on that coming T?  ;)

• SPY VIP

Sweet! How's the durability on that coming T?  ;)

In dry conditions, it's exceptional...a little moisture and it starts to disintegrate. Working on that too, but I'm not keen on changing the cover if I can avoid it.

The Supersoft Marshmallow will burn up in Florida........we'll just need some Hershey Bars and Graham Crackers.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I'd have to buy those by the hundred....they'd all be eaten by the turn.

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

• 3 months later...

Played 14 holes with the SS this week, it felt like I was hitting what you had pictured. That said I kind of liked it, way back when I use to play a Noodle or the Wilson 50 but had gotten away from playing the soft ones.

Didn't score as well as I did with the SR1 and SR2 but I'm blaming my swing that particular day not the ball. I am going to give it more time.

Ball appears to come down into green very steeply which is where it get's its holding power, that said, I wasn't playing what I would call firm greens.

BTW the ball I've played the most the last couple of years is the Srixon Q-Star

Archived