Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Does a Master's Rookie win?

RoverRick

Jonas Blixt: The Swede's first PGA Tour win was the Greenbrier Classic, followed by an impressive fourth place at the PGA Championship.

Steven Bowditch: The Aussie's win at the Valero Texas Open a week ago earned him his second start in a major.

Roberto Castro: His swing isn't textbook but he narrowly missed a win at last year's AT&T National.

Brendon de Jonge: The burly 33-year-old Zimbabwe native had a career year in 2013 with four Top 10s.

Graham DeLaet: Canada's best player right now, DeLaet had three top-three finishes in 2013 and impressed in the Presidents Cup.

Victor Dubuisson: The 22-year-old is France's next great hope. A long hitter with plenty of flair and confidence.

Harris English: The two-time PGA Tour winner is a birdie machine. His great blend of power and accuracy should serve the Georgia native well this week.

Matt Every: The 30-year-old Floridian spoiled Adam Scott's bid to be No. 1 in the world with his first career win at Bay Hill.

Billy Horschel: When you wear octopus pants, you'd better have some game. Horschel won at New Orleans in 2013 and challenged at the U.S. Open at Merion in his first major.

Matt Jones: The last man into the field, the 33-year-old Aussie won the Shell Houston Open Sunday by draining a 46-foot birdie putt on the final hole of regulation before chipping in on the same 18th hole to beat Matt Kuchar in a playoff.

Patrick Reed: A three-time winner since last August, including at Doral, Reed isn't afraid to ruffle feathers with his bravado. He won an NCAA title at Augusta State so he's not going to be in awe of the place.

Jordan Spieth: Perhaps the most talented of this group, Spieth became the first teenager in 82 years to win on the PGA Tour at last year's John Deere Classic.

Kevin Stadler: The “Smallruss” joins his father Craig, the 1982 Masters champ, in the field after beating Bubba Watson by a shot in the Waste Management Phoenix Open. It will mark the first time it's happened in the same Masters.

Jimmy Walker: The 35-year-old went 187 starts without a win on the PGA Tour. But with three wins in his first eight starts of this season, the FedEx Cup points leader has accomplished what only Phil Mickelson, Tiger Woods and David Duval did before.

Copied from Daily News

I was looking at my picks for this weeks tournament, and I was looking at all these rookies in the field.  These guys have all been pretty hot at some point in the last year, although 3 or 4 of them have cooled of late.  But I would not be surprised to see this year break the rookie winless streak.

In 1979, Fuzzy Zoeller won in his first appearance.  I like Patrick Reeds chances, as well as Jordan Spieth.  I am not sure I would put all my money on one of them, but I a certainly considering some.

What do you think?  Will one of these "rookies" win?

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Personally I think there are way too many great players with major experience for a rookie to win.  I think it may be likely that we have a first time winner, but not a rookie winner.

I'd love to see guys like Kuchar, Day or Johnson win personally.  Or have Rory run away with it.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

In short, no, a rookie won't win.  The greens there are like putting in a bath tub.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Except its raining lots and they might not be as quick.....

I'm going to throw it out there and say either a rookie or someone who wins the par 3 tournament!

Rest in peace long sticks - I'll remember you

TM Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Regular

TM RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 14.5 stiff

Adams Blue Hybrid No. 3 stiff

Adams Super xtdHybrid 21.5 Stiff

Ping G30 4 and 5 Iron - Regular CFS Shaft

Ping i25 6 - PW Regular CFS Shaft

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG10 Sand Wedge

PingTR Piper Putter, adjustable shaft, SuperStroke Fatso

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Foot Joy City, Adidas Boost Boa and Adidas Superstar shoes

Pro V1x in the summer, Titleist Velocity in the winter.

It is really hard to play this course as a rookie, so I am going to go with Jason Day because he always seems to contend sunday at the masters.

Driver:  Taylormade 2017 M2 9.5 degree head played at 8 degrees.  Fujikura speeder evolution tour spec x flex shaft tipped 1/4 inch.  

3-Wood: 15 degree M2 tour.  Fujikura pro 73 tour spec X flex shaft.  

Mizuno H5 2 iron.

4 iron: mizuno mp h4 4 iron dynamic gold s300

5-pw iron: mizuno mp 54 dynamic gold s300

52, 56, 60 wedges: cleveland 588 rotex cavity

putter: 34 inch nike method 00 half circle mallet putter

Except its raining lots and they might not be as quick.....

I'm going to throw it out there and say either a rookie or someone who wins the par 3 tournament!

The rain is gone.  And they have subterranean systems to pull the water out of them and heat and cool those greens.  They'll be slick as glass come Thursday.

In The Bag

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

In short, no, a rookie won't win.  The greens there are like putting in a bath tub.

Ha! Everything goes in (the drain)?   :lol:

@bestgrips   @puttershoes

Best Grips is a second generation family business specializing in golf grips! We are the home of the only made in the USA (Texas to be specific) genuine leather golf grips and head covers. No fancy words, pictures or endorsements with BestGrips.com, just the best performing golf grips money can buy!

Check out the new site (www.bestgrips.com)!
Use "golfspy" for free shipping on all U.S. orders over $50!

What's in my BG custom club glove staff bag? Click here.

Current ball of choice: 'Stones three three zero.

Ha! Everything goes in (the drain)?   :lol:

Nope, slick and never rolls the same twice

In The Bag

I played a course one time where the greens were like putting in a bath tub.  All the hole locations were down in the bottom of dips in the green. Maybe not all of them but a significant number.  All you had to do was get it on the green and it rolled to the hole and left a short birdie or par putt.  I shot a 66.  My lowest round ever.  I wanted to move there and play that course every day.  It was a short course on top of that.

i think this year more than any other year one of these rookies could win, they have all been playing well the beginning of the year, and with some of the normal favorites being injured or sore or not playing well, it could be anyone, i like Rickie this year he has played some good golf lately and could be a sleeper pick. this should be a good year for watching.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Boo is my sleeper. He gets hot and he can go low. He was also here at the club prepping with his coach all week last week

In The Bag

Well I am going to step way out on the plank here. As far as rookies go I think we have one of the best collective group of Masters first timers ever. I picked Harris English or Patrick Reed to win it all. I know some think I am crazy but I do think way outside the box that is always how I have rolled so to speak.

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Yep you are so right in more than one way on the greens they have the contours of a bath tub and are as slick as the porcelean on the side of one. I may be wrong but I think a rookie may take it don't know why but I have a feeling.

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Boo is my sleeper. He gets hot and he can go low. He was also here at the club prepping with his coach all week last week

You may be on to something there Boo is one hell of a ball striker and if he gets that putter working look out! I always pull for him after all he is a fellow Redneck

G

I started this tread because I really think Jordan Spieth will contend.  I would love to see him win.  But a couple of weeks after he won the John Deere last year, he went to Augusta to start becoming familiar with the course.  There are three or four who could are playing well enough and have the talent to win, however, it does not take much to get out of your comfort zone and stink up the course.  Been there and done that.

I picked Jimmy Walker to win it this year.....

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

Well, a rookie did not win, but two tied for 4th and 4 in the top 12 just prove how smart some of the golf announcers are.  I was really pulling for Jordan, but darned that kid can play.

I was also pulling for Couples.  Haha,

Really thought Spieth was gonna pull a Fuzzy about halfway through his front nine. Alas, not so much. The kid does have some game. But seeing Bubba win is heartwarming for the hillbilly in me. Mini mullet and he owns the General Lee. Only thing more redneck woulda been seeing Bubba and Boo in a playoff.

Hillbilly tendencies aside, I was really pulling for Freddie and Jimenez.

In Nick's Ogio Edge Stand Bag
Driver: Taylormade Rocketballz 9.5* Aldila Rip'd NV Stiff
Fairway: Tour Edge CB4 15* Rip Gamma Stiff
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro A12 18* KBS Tour X
Irons: Mizuno MP-53 3-PW DG X100
Wedges: Mizuno MP R-12 52* & 56* DG Spinner
Putter: Taylormade Ghost Spider Si 38"

Well Rover you darn near hit a home run out of the park with your pick. It was hard for me to choose because I like Bubba and Jordan. And like Artful Duffer the old fart in me was pulling for Jiminez and Freddie

G

Archived