Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

To roll or not to roll...

dhayse32

To roll or not to roll???  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Do you roll?

• All the time! I'm not on tour.
    • Play it as it lies!
    • Situational, shouldn't be punished for finding a crater in the middle of the fairway.

Curious on everyone's thoughts on rolling the ball.  I don't mean excessively or anything, just you basic winter rules roll (in the summer of course).  Courses I play on are not PGA caliber, there are often weird ruts, large grass areas, crappy bunkers etc... 

What is your stance on this?  Do you "frown" on those that do/don't? 

:taylormade-small: M1 10.5* - Tour AD BB-6X
:titelist-small: 10F.d. 13.5* - Graffaloy Bi-Matrix X
:titelist-small: 915Hd 20.5* - Aldila Tour Green
:titelist-small:  T-MB 2-iron - Aldila Tour Green
:titelist-small:  716 AP2 5-PW - KBS C-Taper Lite X
:vokey-small: SM6 50/56 - DG S400

:cameron-small:  Kombi S 35"

I play it as it lies unless we are playing winter rules at my club.  I don't care what others do unless we are playing a money match then we are playing it down.  I really have no issue if a higher handicap rolls the ball so they can hit quality shots as it makes the game more enjoyable for them.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* Ltd. HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 TX

Fairway: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver Copper 13.5* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

:Arccos:

The Weekly Saturday Game at my club (Pebble Creek) voted to roll it this past year due to the large number of un-repared divots and the wet fairways.  However, I usually play it down and do not roll it.  I know that gives the others an advantage, but I still would rather play it down....I guess I like the challenge.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

We play it down pretty much all year, unless conditions get really wet.  That said, we have pretty good conditions most of the time.  I've gotten so that I feel uncomfortable rolling the ball, even in a scramble.  

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I will roll it if it is in a horrid spot. I dont mean burried in rough, i mean horrid. 

Prime example, last week at ColaVista: the rains the previous night had runoff into a bunker. The water flow created a cavern right UNDER the lip of the bunker. I could have tried to dig it out and into the bunker with a shot, but just didnt see anything to gain from trying to play subterranean golf. I picked the ball and set it on the edge of the cavern and let it roll into the bunker. I played that shot like I would any bunker shot.

Like Jmikecpa said, I carry a 20 and didnt see any fun or learning from trying to make that shot...... so i rolled it.  

Driver:  :nike-small:  Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK 70g Stiff

Fairway Wood: :nike-small: Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK 60g Stiff
Hybrids:   :nike-small: Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK Stiff

Irons:    :taylormade-small: R-11s KBS Stiff. 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  Cleveland 588 Rotax  56*

Some no name 60* I got at Goodwill for $5

Putter::  :ping-small: MGS Ketsch Special Edition   

Ball: :bridgestone-small: :e7, normally. If not, whatever I found while looking for mine in the Tall Grass
Bag :Birdies for the Brave Org.14 Desert Camo 

Shoes : Oakley Cipher 2

Addidas Adizero One Wd

Nike Lunar Control

6 other pair "just in case"

Founder: Texas BBQ Curtain (according to Jdiddyesquire)

Favorite #TOURSAUCE Move:  signing a ball and tossing it to a non existent fan as I walk back to cart. 

My practice course could be considered ground under repair... all the time!  There is also no rough off the fairways, just dirt, weeds and rocks.  When I play here, the ball gets moved all the time because I am really only out the have a good time and work on specific shots.  I will not damage clubs for the sake of golf rules when there is absolutely no reason to do so.  This is why I do not really post scores here.  

Any other course, either local or when I travel, gets played by the rules.  "Winter Rules" are applied locally after the GHIN score posting is closed for the season.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

We play it down during golf season. That is after the fairways and rough have filled in nicely. During the dead of winter and early spring we move it. Of course I'm talking about non-tournament play.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I had to vote for play it down, I particularly don't like to play it down all the time, first, we don't play on your level courses, although nice, they aren't prestinely maintained, second, there are. 2 times I feelthere should be a rule for amateurs in the rule book so we can all use it, in a divot that is in the fairway, the other is when you are in a foot print in the bunker, you get screwed in the bunker because of someone else's laziness, I feel you should be able to pick up the ball rake the area and place the ball back, the divot in the fairway is self explanatory.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I had to vote for play it down, I particularly don't like to play it down all the time, first, we don't play on your level courses, although nice, they aren't prestinely maintained, second, there are. 2 times I feelthere should be a rule for amateurs in the rule book so we can all use it, in a divot that is in the fairway, the other is when you are in a foot print in the bunker, you get screwed in the bunker because of someone else's laziness, I feel you should be able to pick up the ball rake the area and place the ball back, the divot in the fairway is self explanatory.

I'm with you Kor,a,door!  

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I voted situationally. If it's a tourney, money game or means anything at all I'm playing it down of course. But if I'm just screwing around with the guys or having fun I will pull it out of a divot or something. Its played down most of the time though.

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

I prefer to play it down and of course always do in competition - generally the games I play in our reasonable and clear when lift, clean and place is in play - if it's cart path only, it's lift clean and place.

I don't get why the USGA hasn't done something about the divot in the fairway rule although I do so how it could become difficult when there are older divots that are almost repaired.  It just seems like there should be something. 

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

The divot probably gets the most votes as far as a rule change.  It's completely different for pros and amateurs.  When pros play, divots are usually replaced or sand-filled each day.  Maybe that happens at the really nice CC's, but that doesn't happen much on the courses that I play.  Consequently, it becomes a "penalty stroke" for me when I land in a divot created by someone with a 100+ mph swing using irons that are 2* upright; big deep divot!  All I can do is punch out of it.  It just doesn't seem right that I should be penalized for hitting a shot down the middle of the fairway.  But that's the way it's been for hundreds of years, so as long as everyone plays by the same rules, it's golf!  

My issue is when I play in a game; one time everyone plays it down and then another time people are bumping the ball.  Each time I play in a game, I have to ask what the rules of the day are because they keep changing.  Maybe that's one of the differences between a muni and a CC?

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Great stuff here guys and also kudos for being about to talk about this without getting ripped by the "experts" on some other forums! 

My home course is basically a recovering cow pasture.  It has greatly improved but there are places where we use exceptions.  One is in the bunkers, which is they haven't been raked that day we allow a lift-rake-replace.  Also, lots of fieldstone up around me.  I am not ruining clubs. Money games/tourneys/etc... completely agree to play it down!

:taylormade-small: M1 10.5* - Tour AD BB-6X
:titelist-small: 10F.d. 13.5* - Graffaloy Bi-Matrix X
:titelist-small: 915Hd 20.5* - Aldila Tour Green
:titelist-small:  T-MB 2-iron - Aldila Tour Green
:titelist-small:  716 AP2 5-PW - KBS C-Taper Lite X
:vokey-small: SM6 50/56 - DG S400

:cameron-small:  Kombi S 35"

I have learned a new piece of golfing terminology with this poll and thread.  "Rolling" and "playing it down" were terms that I was completely unfamiliar with.  We simply call it playing it as it lies and preferred lies.

As to what I do, the vast majority of my golf is played in competition and for handicapping purposes so I am bound by the course rules.  My home club is a private club and we pretty much play it as it lies all year round unless it is a scramble or there is some ground under repair and most people are diligent when it comes to filling in their divots with sand and raking bunkers.  My Wednesday club plays at a lot of public course where the reverse is true so we play preferred lies through the green on fairways and in bunkers.  When we play at private courses we play it as it lies.

I must admit before I joined a private course I used to prefer my lies but since I joined my club I play it as it lies and I found it improved my game out of sight and I am much more able to handle whatever I am faced with in competition.  Not having a crack at anyone because I believe it is as much about fun as anything and if you aren't having fun why would you bother :)

My Bag

Driver:  :ping-small: G25 Stiff shaft
3 Wood:  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 16 degree. Fujikara Orichi 65 gram stiff shaft
Hybrids: 3 & 4 :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Fujikara Orichi 65 gram regular shafts
Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP- H5 3 - 6 iron dynamic gold XP 115 gram stiff soft stepped
Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP 54 4 - PW dynamic gold S300
Wedges:   :mizuno-small: MP T4 52 degree,  :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 56 degree 10 degree bounce, :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 60 degree 10 degree bounce.
Putter:  :ping-small: ZB S

Evil prospers when good men do nothing.

Honorary member Texas BBQ Curtin Circa 2015 

Yes dhayse32 that is also what I love about this place the discussion is civilised and your opinion is valued as much as anyone's and you can put your opinion forward with out the  fear of getting the arse ripped out of your pants just for having an opinion.  Probably the best forum I've ever been on since I discovered the internet.

My Bag

Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP- H5 3 - 6 iron dynamic gold XP 115 gram stiff soft stepped
Wedges:   :mizuno-small: MP T4 52 degree,  :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 56 degree 10 degree bounce, :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 60 degree 10 degree bounce.

I play it as it lies unless it's winter rules. Considering the average age is 70 here at my course the average divot isn't too big and most get sanded daily.

I'm with mizunolover I've never heard of rolling the ball just playing it as it lies haha.

I tell all my playing partners to move it out of any rocky or rooted areas. No sense in ruining a club or worse hurting yourself. I myself will play it as it lies because I just keep it low and move out of danger. No hero attempts.

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

Nothing worse than a rule nazi (within reason obviously) ... Golf is meant to be fun. If you nail a great drive there is nothing worse than it ending up in some BS hole or on a sprinkler head or something. I live and let live, do what you gotta do to make the game more fun for you. I prefer to play it as it lies because I like a challenge but I can totally understand someone wanting to not deal with it.

:taylormade-small: R15 White 10.5° Accra FX-260 M4

:titelist-small:        915F 3W Aldila Rogue Black 110 stiff 

:titelist-small:        915H 4H MRC Diamana D+ Whiteboard 90 HY Stiff

:titelist-small:        716 T-MB 3 iron True Temper Dynamic Gold AMT S-300

:taylormade-small: Rsi 2's 5-9 - True Temper Dynamic Gold AMT S-300

:vokey-small: SM6 46

:vokey-small: SM6 52* 

:vokey-small: SM6 56*  

:callaway-small:  Mack Daddy 2 PM grind 60* 

:scotty-cameron-1:   Newport 2.5 Dual Balance

:titelist-small: ProV1X 

Game Golf : kfilly20

Do you ever have days when you just want to throw your lap top out the window.  My Broadband keeps dropping out and I tried about 10 times to like a post kfilly's actually and them the website tells me there was a problem storing the vote :mad:

My Bag

I voted situational. I always try to play it as it lies, but I'm not Phil so I'm not hitting my ball off the cart path.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

In NJ it's play it as it lies. I've swung against roots, bunker edges, in water... you name it. Down in Arizona the course we have is constant winter rules. I roll everything on the green stuff... mostly so I don't mess up my ball mark for putting. In the rough, it's also play it as it lies, unless it's in rocks where I don't want my club to get screwed up. I've even hit from spots where I should get free drops to make up for my rolling.

I have to vote situational, because I do both, however when push comes to shove, I always prefer to play it as it lies...even if it's from a divot. there's nothing better than hitting out of a divot and making a great shot when you got unlucky to start with. 

all those that talk about sprinkler heads and cart paths... you do know it's a free drop nearby. That doesn't count for a roll in my book, but rather allowing yourself a break from bad luck. 

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

Also footprints in the sand are the worst. I've gotten pseudo fried egg lies from them. Depending on the situation and how deep the footprint is, sometimes I will give myself the easier shot but if it's not too deep, I don't mind hitting out of a footprint. The amateur vs pro and tournament vs GHIN round probably should be changed for the reasons we all noted. Not all courses are maintained, and for some of us that leads to really unfortunate and crappy situations.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

Archived