Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

Machine Putter Goodness

GolfSpy Dave

• SPY VIP

Last weekend was the Haggin Oaks Golf Expo here in Sacramento, CA.

Although it's not the PGA show in Orlando, it is a pretty huge demo show/weekend.

I love wandering the booths there each year, especially when I see something like this:

banner Machine.jpg

Woohoo!!!! Machine Putters in the house!!!

Many a putter lover knows that Dave Billings at Machine makes some amazing putters.

I couldn't wait to see what they brought to share and so I thought I would share some with you.

Let's ease into the goodness with this little stainless gem.

conv melt.jpg

conv face.jpg

conv bump.jpg

How about some Bongo Backs (named after a zebra relative)

bongo hshm.jpg

bongo top.jpg

bongo bite.jpg

bongo bite top.jpg

This Bongo has a little something else going on in the back. Can you guess what it is?

damas bongo.jpg

Maybe a little closer?

damas close.jpg

damas close2.jpg

Yep, that's damascus steel. This was my first in-hand experience with damascus and I will tell you it is amazing looking and it does feel different from other metals.

Damascus has a very crisp feel at impact. Here is actually the one that I got to roll.

damas close-2.jpg

Damascus.jpg

damascus 2.jpg

What a putter. I was blown away by that one and made sure to put it down as quickly as possible to quell my growing want to buy it.

Crazy thing though is that it was the second coolest putter on the table. Here is the show stopper.

Case Hardened.jpg

case bottom.jpg

That, my friends, is a case hardened finish. The metal is cured in bone and other "secret recipe" things for a month+ to bring out those colors and patterns.

It is a technique historically used for weapons, baking the steel in the crushed bones of the enemy. Brutal, but beautiful.

In addition to providing the amazing finish, the case hardening also really changed the feel. It almost felt ceramic rather than metal. Tough to describe.

Regardless, Dave Billings can definitely make a putter. We have all looked at the photos in the Machine Putters Picture thread, but getting to touch and roll them was something amazing.

Be sure to drop by their site HERE to see more. Also, let's all follow Dave Billings on twitter : @davebillings

The fact that he has only 94 followers right now just seems wrong to me...

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

What beautiful putters!

I can see my retirement nest egg dwindling now.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

• 2 weeks later...

They make absolutely beautiful putters and both Dave and Chris are top notch!! They were very patient with me during my building process and I will always give them a great recommendation when I am able.

Driver: Titleist 915 D2 9.5 with Diamana Whiteboard S flex

3 wood: Titleist 915F 15*, Whiteboard S Flex

Titleist 915H 18* and 24* with Whiteboard SFlex

Irons: Mizuno JPX EZ Forged 4-PW with S300's

Wedges: Mizuno MP T4 50*, 56* with DG Spinner

Putter:MannKrafted Long Slope or Odyssey #7 Versa Metal milled or Betti Tour Stock;

Ball: Bridgestone B330 or Titleist NXT

Bag: Titleist 'Murica colored carry bag or

MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

• 2 years later...

I've owned a couple Machine putters, but it's been years. I just remembered that it felt really good- deep milled face and stainless steel. I think it had one of those reverse arch grips on it and the neck was short. Somehow the screw that was in the sole (it had adjustable necks) became stripped. I got hooked up with that clown of a representative (Chris Hoeppner, won't go into details, but i don't like him) and he told me it'd be like $75 to fix it or something crazy. I sold it on W R X for a song, I think it was about $125 or $150.

Now that Jimmy Sorce is one of their distributors, I imagine we will see these become much more popular.

The "Megalodon" looks ugly as sin, but I kind of want one...

Archived