Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

Scors going bye-bye?

markb

We've seen our beloved Scors get special discounts this fall and we all know that the Hogans are coming.   Today I heard rumors that they've pulled the plug on Scor wedges and in the future you'll have to buy similar V-soled Hogans.

Anybody get an email announcement to this effect?

bag - SunMountain Synch with Ogio Synergy X4 cart
driver - :callaway-small: Optiforce 440, Paderson Kevlar Green stiff 46.5"
fwoods - :taylormade-small: Jetspeed, 3HL regular
irons - :taylormade-small:  Speedblades 3-8, 85g stiff steel, 2 up
wedges - :edilon-small: Scor 40, 45, 50, 54, 58
putter - :ping-small: Ketsch 35" slight arc, SuperStroke 2.0 mid-slim
ball - :titelist-small: ProV1x

We've seen our beloved Scors get special discounts this fall and we all know that the Hogans are coming.   Today I heard rumors that they've pulled the plug on Scor wedges and in the future you'll have to buy similar V-soled Hogans.

Anybody get an email announcement to this effect?

Not yet - but that sure lends credence to the notion that they're all in on Hogan...

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I haven't but why not?  So long as it's the same club by a different name and one with greater recognition it makes perfect sense for them to rebrand.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

• SPY VIP

Yes. True story. Scor is shutting down...well sorta...

Terry Koehler, the guy behind Scor has taken over the Ben Hogan brand. When I think all is said and done and the new Hogan stuff hits the market, it's going to look a lot like an extension of the Scor line. I'd venture a guess that Hogan short game clubs will essentially be Scor short game clubs.

So yeah...Scor shutting down, but I think it will effectively be reborn as Ben Hogan.

We shall see. 

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

Terry Koehler, the guy behind Scor has taken over the Ben Hogan brand. When I think all is said and done and the new Hogan stuff hits the market, it's going to look a lot like an extension of the Scor line. I'd venture a guess that Hogan short game clubs will essentially be Scor short game clubs.

So yeah...Scor shutting down, but I think it will effectively be reborn as Ben Hogan.

We shall see. 

I think this is very exciting and am anxious to see how it falls out.  I'm happy for SCOR reborn because the technology works for me and I believe for most golfers.  I'm thinking the Hogan name puts them on the map and allows them to carve out a more significant niche in the market place.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I agree with Rev.....this had to happen so that they could revamp the production for the new Hogans.

Should see them by February?

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Why didn't they just do like Titleist and keep the scor name for their wedges? 

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9* Upright setting, Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, New grip coming

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, New grip coming

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, New grip coming                                  

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

JPX 919 Tour 5i-pw, Project X LZ 6.5 shafts, Stiff+,  Ping Midsize grips

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex,                                               New Level Midsize grips

PUTTER:    :ping-small:   Heppler Ketsch 35", Ping PP62 Pistol Grip

BALL:           :titleist-small:     Pro V1 (2021 + 2023 Versions)                                                                              

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  TM19 Select Plus Cart Bag 

Shoes:  Under Armour     HOVR Fade 2 SL Spikeless  Shoes

Tech: :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope golf laser Rangefinder

Frogger Golf Towels, 4 more Yard blue/ yellow golf tees

I love my SCORs and would be very interested in Hogans if they carry the same looks and feel as the SCORs. I have the SCOR 9 iron equivalent, so I won't be buying a full set of Hogan irons, most likely 5-8. Would they sell a partial set? Not sure. Somehow they will need to accommodate their loyal SCOR users who bought into the 4161 philosophy that they marketed.

Even if the Hogan heads are similar to the SCOR heads, what worries me is that Hogans will not be available with the same shafts and the feel will be different.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I love my SCORs and would be very interested in Hogans if they carry the same looks and feel as the SCORs. I have the SCOR 9 iron equivalent, so I won't be buying a full set of Hogan irons, most likely 5-8. Would they sell a partial set? Not sure. Somehow they will need to accommodate their loyal SCOR users who bought into the 4161 philosophy that they marketed.

Even if the Hogan heads are similar to the SCOR heads, what worries me is that Hogans will not be available with the same shafts and the feel will be different.

That's always the issue isn't it?  That was SCOR's schtick and it's what we were testing here this summer.  Lots of companies have done the combo type set but getting them all to work together has been problematic.  Frankly I've been doing my own combo set for a long time and it's always worked okay for me - I'm betting on SCOR/Hogan to nail it on this one.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I feel Kenny's pain.   I too am looking to build a combo set cause I'm pulling a Heston "pry them out of my cold dead hands" with my current Scors.   When the finish wears off of the ones I've got, I'll buy new old stock on ebay.   That's how much I love them now.   They've only gotten better every month I've hit them.

So the question becomes, will the new Hogans be the rest of that combo?   I too will be looking a buying only 4 - 8, max.   I'm sure that Terry and Barry will sell partial sets to their Scor followers, they have their fingers on our pulses.   And they'll have the V-sole, which all who try it love it.   I've also heard a rumor that they'll be sold by the degree! (Although I'll believe that last bit when I see it.)

They'll have some work to do to win my business however, because the Srixon z545, z745 and even z945 (JDM) irons are shweeet, have the V-sole, are Endo forged and (at least for me) come in lofts I like.   I don't know if you've noticed lately but the $/Yen exchange rate is so favorable to us right now that you can probably buy JDM irons for less than US prices.

Sad to see this happen but not surprised at the same time. I need to get another wedge to fill in a gap when I make my new irons, so I suppose I'll have to jump on the deal they've got going at the moment.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I just "scored" a SCOR 50* on eBay for $20. It's in pretty decent shape. So, we shall see what all this Scor love is all about..

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

My fitter, who's a SCOR reseller, told me about this a few weeks ago.  I plan on doing a bag check on my clubs in a few weeks and since my fitter will be adding the Ben Hogan line to his offerings, who knows what I'll be gaming next spring - lol

It makes sense to go "all in" on the Hogan brand name and I can only assume the design of the short game clubs will carry over from SCOR to the Hogan lineup.

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

I just "scored" a SCOR 50* on eBay for $20. It's in pretty decent shape. So, we shall see what all this Scor love is all about..

Before you take it out to the course, take it in to the shop and have it checked for loft and lie.  This is critical because you might get a surprise.  Then have it bent, cut or extended to your specs.   The performance of my Scors shot up 10 fold after I had them adjusted.

I wish we could change the title of this thread. Every time I see a new post and the title comes up, I get anxious that the SCORs are really going bye-bye. I know they will probably just morph into the Ben Hogan line, but I still don't like the title.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I just hope they do a better job spelling Hogan than they did Scor.  Just seems like the wrong anser on a test.  :lol:

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

I wish we could change the title of this thread. Every time I see a new post and the title comes up, I get anxious that the SCORs are really going bye-bye. I know they will probably just morph into the Ben Hogan line, but I still don't like the title.

How about "Scors saying Sayonara" or "Scors take the dirt nap"  or "Scors dead, Hogan lives again".

Anyway you type it, it looks like the end under the Scor name.

• 2 weeks later...

Question for the guys playing SCOR wedges. How many of you actually went to their site and bought what their fitting system recommended?

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9* Upright setting, Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, New grip coming

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, New grip coming

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, New grip coming                                  

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex,                                               New Level Midsize grips

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  TM19 Select Plus Cart Bag 

I went with their recommendations for shaft, length, and lie. For lofts they recommended 60*, 56*, 52*, 48* and 44*. I didn't go with those because I didn't want more than 58*. I've ended up with the 58*, 54*, 50*, and 45* and they continue to exceed my expectations.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

I had trouble with their fitting system because it didn't recognize my Ping U wedge, so it wanted to change my lofts to compensate. I stayed with the gaping I had with Ping. The SCORs are a little flat in stock measurements, so I went with 1* flat since my i20's are pulse dot. Length was the same as the Pings, +1 inch, in the Genius 9 graphite shaft. The SCORs are about 1/2 club longer than the i20's. Love them!

Thanks guys. The only thing I don't understand is how these numbers make you more accurate? My Mizuno's are always left of target. I can understand the gapping and the distance gaps but what exactly makes these that much more accurate?

You deserve a good answer.  Why are the Scors more accurate?

These are my answers:

1.  Once dialed in, they were easier to aim and put on target.   I don't know why, if they were a camera lens, they would just be easier to "focus".   With the Scors, I saw very distinct differences when I bent them for lie.   I could move them left or right dramatically by bending them flat or upright.   I can do this with all clubs, but the cause and effect are just fuzzier.   With the Scors I was able to bend them, get them right on line and then I screamed, "That's it!  STOP!"

2. The V-sole makes chipping on all kinds of turf more consistent and thus more accurate.

3.  The distance control is more precise.    These Scors just go exactly predictable distances.   If you grip down a notch on the grip, take off 5 yards.  If you go out to the end of the butt, add 2.   It's like clockwork.   And this same formula works all the way up to the 61.   For me, I'd lose control with full flop wedges.   I couldn't predict them.

4,   Shots from Fairway bunkers or the rough are a breeze and thus much more controllable and predictable.   Add 5 yards out of the rough, subtract 5-7 out of fairway bunkers.

5.   Open faced shots go less left than other clubs.   They just go higher, but still pretty straight.   I don't know why this is.

6.   Since the soles of all the wedges are all the same, you can use different lofts for different trajectories and the shots feel the same.   You need a runner chip?  just hit your 50 or 54 instead of the 58, it'll feel the same.

What markb said! He nailed it. I had Ping wedges before the SCORs and Volkeys before that. Nothing compares to the control and reproducibility of the SCORs. I went to a 42 to replace my 9-iron and would go more if they made them. That's why we are so interested in the new Ben Hogan irons this next spring; same sole design, and hopefully the same head feel and shafts.

As far as the lefts, I can attest that first you should check the lie angle. If it's too upright, the heel will dig and close the face. My problem was setting up slightly open stance and pulling across the path; essentially a short version of "coming over the top". I fixed that by making sure that while I may have a slightly open stance, my shoulders were aligned a little right of target. I'm dead straight now. Check your alignment.

We shall see. 

I'm guessing they won't sell at Wal Mart?  I see a ton of Hogan apparel at Wal Mart lately.

Driver: Titleist 915 D2 9.5 with Diamana Whiteboard S flex

3 wood: Titleist 915F 15*, Whiteboard S Flex

Titleist 915H 18* and 24* with Whiteboard SFlex

Irons: Mizuno JPX EZ Forged 4-PW with S300's

Wedges: Mizuno MP T4 50*, 56* with DG Spinner

Putter:MannKrafted Long Slope or Odyssey #7 Versa Metal milled or Betti Tour Stock;

Ball: Bridgestone B330 or Titleist NXT

Bag: Titleist 'Murica colored carry bag or

MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

I'm guessing they won't sell at Wal Mart?  I see a ton of Hogan apparel at Wal Mart lately.

No, the clubs won't be at Walmart, but the clothing will/is.

Honestly, the clothing is a bargain and a quality product.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Thanks again guys. I can attest to the Hogan clothing line as I have a Hogan shirt and it's a great, breathable shirt. :)

So Mark, You ordered them online and got them bent afterwards? I don't doubt any of your reasons (or anybody elses) for being as good as they are, but wouldn't getting a Vokey or Cleveland or Mizuno or for that matter, any wedge bent til their dialed in get you the same results? Are you technically getting fit for your wedges?

Thanks again guys. I can attest to the Hogan clothing line as I have a Hogan shirt and it's a great, breathable shirt. :)

So Mark, You ordered them online and got them bent afterwards? I don't doubt any of your reasons (or anybody elses) for being as good as they are, but wouldn't getting a Vokey or Cleveland or Mizuno or for that matter, any wedge bent til their dialed in get you the same results? Are you technically getting fit for your wedges?

The short answer is probably yes, you could get any wedge perfectly fit and dialed in.  That's one of the reasons not everyone plays the same clubs.  I think one of the big things with Scor is that they seem much easier to get dialed in and much more consistent.

The Scor's have a unique sole grind that seems to make it easier to have good turf interaction from just about anywhere, they don't seem to have real "hot spots" on the face that will add 10-20yds when the stars align and you hit it perfectly flush.  For a rather traditional looking blade they also have pretty good forgiveness.  This leads to them being very consistent, and if there is one thing you are looking for in golf it's consistency.  You can play with just about any swing or shot type if you can do it repeatedly and get the same results.  Scor's make it easier to get that same result every time.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Mark gave the answers that I would however your comment on hitting the ball consistently left makes me wonder if your current wedges aren't missfit - I would get the lies looked it - sounds like they may be too upright.  There is actually a thread here that would tell you how to self fit that.  I can't recall which one it was but one of our fitters had a grat post in it.

I did not go with exactly what SCOR recommended for what I bag - it's their recommendation and it's a starting point like anything else - I have a 48,53,60 - I rarely hit the 60 full but I am awesome with it out of traps or for high, soft shots around the green - it is the only club that I have in my bag with a steel shaft (except putter.)  This set up fits my game, the course conditions that I generally play and morphs into my other irons fairly well.  But I'm also a fairly accomplished player who is able to handle a 7 degree gap at the bottom of my bag - you have to figure out what will work best for you.

Okay time to go play - it's friggin cold out for Florida today so it should be interesting. :(

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

No, I wasn't fit for them. I'll go check to see if I can find that post you are talking about. The AP2's are being sold at the moment on ebay ( going to go back with game-improvement clubs) and than might just bite on the SCOR's. 

Archived