Compression Board Training Aid

Good idea, wouldn't pay for it though. Especially when I could make it from clear acrylic for about $4-$5.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Wouldn't one fat iron shot shatter this? Plywood is not as pretty/light but it may be more durable.

I thought about a chunk of wood too, but I think that could splinter. The website says that the board won't break, and I assume they stand behind that.

I agree with RookieBlue that this could easily be done yourself, or you could just use a headcover or towel behind the ball as I've seen recommended in many golf magazines.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• 4 weeks later...

It's not a bad idea, but I wonder exactly how functional it really is? When I was trying to eliminate 'the flip," I did something similar with a couple of tees. About att it did was teach me to hit down on the ball but still flip the damn thing. I can also see a problem using this a putting trainer. It looks to me as though you may subconsciously want to lift the putter in the backstroke to avoid contact and/or develop a shorter backstroke and compensate by overaccelerating the downstroke.

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys, (disclosure - I developed the board)

The compression board is extremely functional - its a great feedback tool for most areas of your golf game. The biggest difference between low and high handicap golfers is their ability to hit the ball FIRST consistently. Using a feedback device like the CB will help you learn how to do that. You can use it to help you with iron play, chipping, pitching, putting, sand. As a putting trainer there is no problem with hitting the board on the takeaway b/c the ball is placed at level 6. It will help you to be more aware of face angle, path, reading greens. If more people were aware of the feedback they were getting and knew what was important in hitting good shots I'm confident they would improve.

I'm a CPGA Teaching pro myself and my students who use the board have improved their concepts of what is important and are playing better.

Teaching aids aren't going to magically make you better, we know this. But getting the right feedback will. That's why we developed the board.

Thanks for all feedback - if you have any other questions fire away.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Wouldn't one fat iron shot shatter this? Plywood is not as pretty/light but it may be more durable.

It is probably made from Lexan which is the same stuff that airplane windshields and Nextel Cup race car windshields are made from. That stuff is incredibaly tuff and expensive

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

It is probably made from Lexan which is the same stuff that airplane windshields and Nextel Cup race car windshields are made from. That stuff is incredibaly tuff and expensive

The board will not shatter under normal use. We've tried to smash it from coming right from above and it still didn't break. It's durable and should last a few years minimum.

Alf Callowhill

It looks like the compressions boards best attributes would be to help people flatten there swing plane, I know this is one of the biggest problems that many ametuers have.

Whats in the bag:

Titleist 910D2 10.5 Graphite Design Y7-S

Adams 1600 proto 14.5 Graphite Design AD DJ

Titleist 910F 17 Ust Tour Black

Titleist 910H 22 Diamana Kali

Adams Idea Pro A12 4-9 KBS C Taper

Titleist Vokey SM4 46 degree w/ DG Spinner

Mizuno MP R12 50-54-58 DG spinner

Ping Redwood ZB

Ball Nike 20XI-X

Archived