Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

SURVEY: How has MyGolfSpy influenced your game?

GolfSpy Barbajo

I have Purchased a Callaway Rogue LS Max Driver, a set of Cobra King Forge Tec Irons, and a Cobra LTDx 4 Hybrid in the last 3 years from results from MSG testing. But of course I tried them for myself with fitters to make sure that they would work best for my swing and game.

Jason Phillips 

1.  I have purchased a new driver based completely on your ranking of the best drivers that year for my swing speed.  Callaway Mavrik SZ.

2.  I now think of golf equipment with a little skepticism.  The reviews are very important to me and paint a better picture for me and what I intend to purchase.  In a sense it has also expanded my views as a consumer with gold gear I may never have bought.

3. Right now I have to say yes in regards of my Driver and possibly with the purchase of golf balls.  Stay tuned there are some more changes in my golf gear on the horizon.

4. My enjoyment has increased with better ball flight accuracy and a little distance gain.  As for the balls, they have equaled what I was using for a lower price point which has made me a happier golfer.

WIMyB

Nike Vapor Fly driver 

Nike Covert Tour 3Wood

Titleist 913 5Wood

Titleist 915 7Wood

Mizuno MP-64 4i-PW

Mizuno T-4 50 and 54 Wedges

Callaway Mack Daddy forged 58

Odyssey Stroke Labs Double Wide

I think there are a few things that MGS has done to impact my game.  First, it's given me a community of people to interact with that share similar passions.  Second, the equipment reviews have given me better insights to value purchases that meet my game.  For example, the golf ball that I currently play was selected as a result of the MGS comparison thread.  And finally, I think that the platform has re-energized my love for the game.  The news notices and articles have kept golf at the forefront of my inbox.  I play more often now and that has led to lower scores and a desire to play more.  Thank you MGS!

:ping-small: G425 Driver

:ping-small: G425 3w

:callaway-small: 2 Hybrid

:srixon-small:  Z585 Irons 3-PW 

467311891_Screenshot2021-12-24002654.jpg.3c87f11fa77f127a10ed922bdcbbcc69.jpg RTX Zipcore 50 Gap, 56 SW, 60 LW

:odyssey-small: 2 ball Putter

:taylormade-small: Maxfli Tour Balls

I see golf-spy as a much needed resource to be used when buying any type of equipment related to golf. With the high costs of irons, drivers, golf balls, carts, rangefinders etc, my golf spy is a very handy tool to provide todays golfer with the knowledge needed to cut through the hype, and provide us with the knowledge to make a solid purchase.

DJ 

1. Have you purchased any golf products based on MyGolfSpy reviews?  (Please list which ones.)

- Driver: Cobra F9, Balls: Maxfli Tour, Elft Dash Putter: Evnroll Erv2.  Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 (water test). 
More importantly, things I didn’t buy: new drivers every year, poor quality golf balls, wedges that don’t spin when it’s raining, and many other equipment choices I would have made before My Golf Spy  

2. How has MyGolfSpy changed the way you think about golf equipment?

Stronger confidence in what I’m purchasing.  Fitting is a must.  Instruction is required is the equipment doesn’t work, not new equipment. 

3. Have these purchases lowered your scores? (List which products and how much they have lowered your scores.)

Yes.  Evnroll Erv2 = 2 strokes Cobra F9 2 strokes.

4. How have these purchases helped you enjoy the game more? How?

I just play now instead of thinking about new equipment.  I know I have the right stuff for me.  I don’t waste money buying stuff that isn’t going to make me any better.  I spend that money on lessons.  

KarrDaddy

Cobra Speedback 9deg; Cobra F7 3w, 3h & 5h; 
Callaway Rogue Pro 5-AW;  Ping A Blade Putter

Wow, over the years I have tried so many products based on Spy reviews.  To many to list.  Many were very helpful in there time.  The one that is still in my bag many years later (replaced in kind several times) is my Renegar 58* wedge.  It is the most versatile wedge I have found.  I have had several friends try it and buy it.  A few moths ago they had a half price sale and I grabbed 3 more.  I also play a Taylormade MG3 in the TM grind bent to 54 instead of the Vokey 54* I played for years and I love it.  My gap wedge is a Cleveland CBX and has been since I read your review on the cavity back wedges when they first came out I had to try them they still have that spot in my bag.  I played KZG irons for nearly 20 years but when I read Tony's Miura 501 review I went for a fitting and fell in love.  They were great until my vision issues from getting older made me mishit to many balls on those tiny faces and I gave them up.  I have played many drivers over the years that I may not have tried but for the Spy reviews.  Most were great and only two were pure misses for me.  Now I fit or I don't buy.  I have tried many different balls I read about here.  Snell spent a season in my bag when you first reviewed them and they were nice but I switched to Bridgestone B330 Rx for the lower compression as I got older.  I moved to Callaway Chrome soft and loved them until find it cut it made me realize sometimes there was a ball I couldn't hit straight, and when I lost it my straight ball was back.  The Pro V1 went into the bag from Ball labs.  I have gone back to the lower compression ball because they are longer with my irons and straighter with my driver.  After lot's of testing between the Pro V1 & X, Srixon Z Star divide and because of the ball lab I tried the Tour Response too and It went in the bag in the end. (need to update my signature).   I use the Rooster gloves and have purchased most of my golf shoes based on data what I have read here.  Same goes for my bags over the years.

I also like to look at the WITB of the writers, It is note worthy that these Lady & Gents play what they play with all the data they crunch!  Lot's of Pxg & Titleist in bags and even more Srixon.   

In closing I had to learn that Data driven info from the Spy is just like advertising for me.  I need to get fit before spending big money on gear this data is gathered from a group of golfers and  I have no idea if they are influenced by young bombers while I am older.  They do the best they can.  I would love to see the data based on the individual testers charted like in the early days with name age handicap, swing speed and what club was best for them.  I know in the old day you had a tester named Dan who had my same swing speed and I would que in on his data and I was super helpful.  I know you do fast, med and slow results and that is helpful, I just miss being able to zero in on the individual data streams you have collected.

Driver: Titleist TSR 3 10* Accura TZ6 M3 65g

Fairways: Callaway Rogue 15* & 19* Matrix Ozik TP 6 HD stiff 

Hybrid: Titleist TSI 4 & 5 Hybrids Mitsubishi Tensi AV 65 HY X stiff   

Irons:  KZG Forged III 6-P Accura iS7 (Refinished and regrooved)

Wedges: Cleveland CBX  50*, Taylormade MG 3 Tiger grind 56 bent to 54/10 & Taylormade MG 4 Tiger grind 56 bent to 58/14

Putter: Positive Putter's Custom P2 (think Edel putter meets Heavy Putter)

Ball: Callaway Chome Tour                        

All clubs have Winn Dri-Tac Wraps oversized

I am a golf retailer. I use a lot of your studies and rankings to help clients find the best of whatever they are looking for. As a golfer, the amount of clarification and work you have done on the golf ball alone has helped my game immensely ! Keep up the good work !

GMB 

1. Have you purchased any golf products based on MyGolfSpy reviews?  (Please list which ones.)

Yes, I now use only Maxfli Tour CG and ProV1 balls after previously using Srixon Q-Star Tour balls (mainly) and a variety of other non-tour balls. After reading the recent article on LAB putters I decided to try a Toe Up putter (Odyssey 1) with a similar non-torque to the LAB. Am following the LAB testing to see if I want to pull the trigger on a new Link. Also, bought my wife a Ping Hoofer Lite bag after the recent carry bag ratings and she loves it. 

When considering any new equipment, whether its clubs, clothes or other gear, I always check to see if it's been evaluated on MGS.

3. Have these purchases lowered your scores? (List which products and how much they have lowered your scores.)

Not sure yet if the balls and putter have lowered my scores, but I can say the balls perform really well and I have more confidence with the putter.

I was always trying new golf balls and believe not using a consistent ball hurt my game. Now I feel confident that the ball will do what I want it to do without any second thoughts, which gives me more enjoyment and no second thoughts.

Ping G400 Driver, Ping G410 3W & 5W, Cobra King F9 4h, Cobra King F9 irons (5 - GW), Cleveland CBX Wedges (54* and 60*), Odyssey Toe Up 1 Putter

Have you purchased any golf products based on MyGolfSpy reviews?  (Please list which ones)

1. Taylor Made M1 driver
  2. Taylor Made M1 (3w because I liked the driver)
  3. Snell MTB golf balls
  4. Kirkland putter
  5. Fitting at both Golftec and Club Champion (if you go to the doctor, always get a second opinion!)
  6. Different graphite shafts.  Led to using graphite iron shafts.
  7. Discussion on club head technology led to buying Tour Edge irons.  I'm a senior golfer and am part of the demographic they cater to.

How has MyGolfSpy changed the way you think about golf equipment?

If I buy a suit to look good in certain circumstances I get it fitted.  Off the rack always hangs wrong and looks bad.  Reading MGS comments led to the same for golf equipment.  Have it fitted if you want to "look" your best.

Have these purchases lowered your scores? (List which products and how much they have lowered your scores.)

Most definitely YES.  Some made improvement immediately without practice, some needed range/practice time to dial in matching ball and shaft to get the feel with the distance and accuracy I wanted and understanding swing changes I needed to make because of weight differences, etc.  Bottom line is the equipment changes and suggestions led to more effective use of practice.  The driver and fairway woods  helped the most.  I was able to dial in distance and accuracy.  The clubs became more predictable so they are a confidence builder off the first tee.

How have these purchases helped you enjoy the game more? How?

Like above, the purchases were part of the equation.  The resulting practice from buying them was the rest of the equation. Fitting, intelligent buying based on knowledgeable discussion through the forum, and practice dropped my scores from the mid/high 90's to the low 80's and I'm flirting with the 70's now.  Dial in putting and that will happen this year.  That so far is the ONLY club MGS discussions are still deciding for me!

Edited by GPS111
Added a sentence.

GPS111

9 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Another older thread, but still very relevant today and with that we want to hear your answers!

Questions:

1. Have you purchased any golf products based on MyGolfSpy reviews? (Please list which ones.)

Yes, SQAIRZ shoes, Callaway Paradym TD driver, Red Rooster Gloves and Rapsodo MLM. Lastly various golf balls. Received a set of Paradym irons for testing!

Absolutely! This forum and community rock!

3. Have these purchases lowered your scores? (List which products and how much they have lowered your scores.)

Yes, the Paradym Irons received for testing were game changing. Still working on the driver to analyze. The SQAIRZ shoes added stability and yardage.

Yes, the irons have made me 20 years younger!!  Ha ha

Edited by Javs

Play like a champion today!

I think it was MGS where I learned to choose a ball by greens and wedges, not by driver.  So I picked up a dozen Pro V1 blems recently and will use them when I resume regular play after my latest injury time-out.  I practice putting now with urethane not surlyn balls. I have a probably false feeling that they roll truer.  It is the only lie I indulge in.  Maybe also I read that it is really hard to get good with a 60 degree wedge, so I am happy to use my 52 deg more and not worry that I could get closer on 30 yard approach shots with a 60.  I read putter reviews and stick with my found gift now, a $2 Kmart face balanced putter with a $30 fat grip.

Drv: PXG 0211, Evnflo Riptide CB Senior, Callaway 454 TI (2004) 10 and an 11, regular flex.

3W: Callaway Steelhead Xr  Tensei Blue CK 55 gram senior. TM Burner Superfast 3.0 M flex.

5W : Titleist TSi 1 on Aldila Ascent 40 regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC 3 18 degree, on Mamiya Recoil reg flex.

4 iron:  forged Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree hollow body.

6 - PW: Ping I 500, on Recoil reg flex.

Gap: 52/9 GFF Mizuno S5, Lob: 60/6 GFF Mizuno T7.

Sand: Ancien Regime 56/12 Hogan Sure Out, Apex shaft. Heavy sole.

Chipper:  Ancien Regime Don Martin "Up n In" bronze or copper. 🙂

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab "R" Ball, face balanced, 2 piece, multi material shaft.🙃

1. Have you purchased any golf products based on MyGolfSpy reviews? (Please list which ones.)

Zipcore wedges, TA#3 Putter, Epic 5wood.

Personally tested the TA3 and Zipcore. With Zipcore I added 2 more to my bag to complete my wedges set. TA3 I encouraged others on the club and 2 have since purchased and still use them. Based off the data from a most wanted test I bought a used Epic 5wood. 

I was a brand loyalist and now have become a what works best for my game. (Sorry Callaway) I have Callaway, Taylormade, Mizuno, Cleveland and Ping in my bag. Also the importance of getting fitted. I never had fitted clubs prior to MGS and now the only clubs I'm not fitted for are my wedges.

This one is tough to answer because I've also taken advantage with a lot of the golf improvement aspects of MGS (Superspeed and Rapsodo). I think the biggest advantage of it all has been the improvement in consistency. I think the range of scores has decreased over the years and it has led to an ability to player better golf.

Goes back to the what I said in the last answer, has improved my ability to play better golf. This inherently should not increase my enjoyment but playing better golf certainly feels nice. I personally appreciate the feeling of being more educated in golf because of MGS. I can guarantee I wouldn't be as knowledgeable about equipment or golf in general if it weren't for joining this community.

On 10/29/2016 at 5:56 PM, GolfSpy Barbajo said:

>>>>>

This is kind of important, so give this some thought and let us know what you think.

Here we go:

Questions:

yes, several golf ball models (Snell MTB/ MTB-X, Maxfli Tour and TourX, etc) and Sub 70 hybrids 

I have always been a “golf equipment junkie” since when I first started playing golf in 1985, but my participation in the MGS Forum has intensified this, and has also made me more acutely aware of the fine points of golf equipment design and what these mean to the user of said equipment.

Well, the use of the Callaway Paradym irons that I was selected to test helped me to drop my handicap index by a full 1.8 strokes during the six-week testing period, so I would definitely say “yes”.

Whenever I shoot lower scores and hit more accurate golf shots, I enjoy the game more …. enough said!

Thanks guys - looking forward to your input!

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - Callaway Paradym 3HL, Newton Motion Fairway shaft, 4-Dot

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Callaway Paradym, HZRDUS Silver Gen 4, S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - (currently in flux, but usually an Evnroll 8V

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Ghost Golf Maverick Black Ops

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

1. I’ve purchased Snell, TM, Wilson and Callaway lower compression golf balls - based on reviews. I’ve also increased my Putter Ho collection with various new models of Ping, and Callaway/Toulon.

2. MyGolfSpy definitely changed the way you think about golf equipment. Your testing/reviews and member feedback is instrumental to new purchases/trials.

3. I’ve gone from 36 to 17.7 (Arccos)with purchases, particularly from low compression golf balls (TMs currently) new fitted Mizuno irons, GP grips and Ping Heppler Tyne 3 putter.

4. These purchases help me enjoy the game more because I’ve seen steady improvement (esp when I can play more often), which make it more enjoyable. The light in the tunnel isn’t the snowman express anymore!

Chasing my ball around the cow field, trying to avoid the “ruff.”

Great thread to resurrect. 

1.  Yes, Maxfli Tour and Tour X golf balls. I’ve been playing them exclusively, aside from occasional trial runs of other balls, since returning to the game ~3 years ago. Not a hard sell, as I liked Maxfli balls in the late ‘90s, but with them being a house brand after falling out of favor, I would have felt like I was leaving something on the table picking them up again without the test results. No specific club purchases, but my clubs are circa 2008-2009, with the exception of wedges and a Callaway utility wood, so I’m not much of a club shopper. 

2. Refined my thinking about how to evaluate equipment performance and make choices.  Greatly increased my overall golf “IQ”. 

3. Yes, my scores and handicap have been improving. Mixture of many things, but using the same ball, for play and practice, has contributed a great deal. 

4. Immensely. I’ve begun to play in competitions now and enjoy the increased consistency (still working on how to score). The game is more fun when you hit a bad shot and have some level of understanding of why it occurred. Went many years lost in the wilderness. 

1. Have you purchased any golf products based on MyGolfSpy reviews? 

Callaway Chrome soft x LS balls

maxfli tour x balls

Ping G425 Max driver

Callaway Rogue ST ♦️♦️♦️ LS Driver

Taylor Made MG3 wedges

Yes. Their data and insights into DTC brands has allowed me to consider equipment I otherwise wouldn’t know anything about.

3. Have these purchases lowered your scores? (List which products and how much they have lowered your scores.)

There has to be a correlation between making informed equipment choices and playing better. If nothing else, knowing what to test and try has led to purchases that have led to better performance. 

4. How have these purchases helped you enjoy the game more? How?

I’m shooting in the high 70s/ low 80s this season. I have the potential to get down to scratch golf, partly due to better equipment choices, mostly due to more time to practice. No matter the cause, this season has been immensely enjoyable.

WITB:

D: :taylormade-small: QI-10 core 9* Ventus Blue TR Velocore 6x

3w: :taylormade-small: Brnr mini driver 13.5 S

3h: :ping-small: G430 19° Tour 2/Stiff

7W: :callaway-small: 21° Rogue ST Max LinQ 7X

5i-6i:  :srixon-small: ZX5 MKII Project X 6.0

7i-PW: :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII Project X 6.0

50°, 54° & 58°:   :ping-small: Glide Forged Pro

P:   :odyssey-small: White Hot Versa DW

Ball:  :bridgestone-small: Tour BX mindset

Bag:  Ghost MGS Anyday 14 way

"And so, we beat on, boats against the current, borne ceaselessly into the past." - Fitzgerald

” The woods are lovely, dark and deep,   

But I have promises to keep,   

And miles to go before I sleep,   

And miles to go before I sleep. - Frost

"That you are here—that life exists and identity,

That the powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse." - Whitman

Biggest influence is in choice of balls: New, non-refurbished, high ranking quality metrics. Even more refinement for which launch and spin variations suit wind and green conditions (ProV1 vs X vs AVX, TP5 vs X). MGS has provided an invaluable service to golfers of all levels.

WITB: PXG Gen 6 Driver (stiff Haz RDX Stiff -1/2”), Callaway UW17 (Haz RDX Stiff), Callaway UW19 (Haz RDX Stiff -1”), Takomo 101 4-PW (KBS 105 Reg 2 flat), Miz Pro225 G (ProjX IO 6.0), Wilson Staff HT (DynGold 120 Stiff, Honma Forged 60 (SteelFiber1 10CW XStiff), Tony Penna heel shafted square flange as

Information on balls ne clubs that fit my swing speed. 

Played golf for over 50 years until my health and business calendar reduced my time to less then 5 rounds a year. Then 4 years ago I retired, changed my diet and lifestyle, lost 100 pounds and got back on the course. Its been a struggle but things are getting better.

Questions:

Alphard Booster V2 - best non club/ball purchase I ever made.  Didn't know how much I needed it until I got it. 

Also MGS validated what I was seeing when I tested the Titleist TSi3 driver

Hasn't changed the way I think, as I've always been an "info nerd" about equipment, etc.  But MGS has given me an additional source of info and it's one that's easily relatable,

The V@ keeps me fresher, which I think is important to good scores. I don't feel nearly as tired on 16-18 as I did before I installed this on my bag.

Again, not being completely wiped (especially in warm/hot weather) definitely lets me enjoy the game more.

Edited by No3Putts

WITB

Driver:    :titelist-small: Titleist TSi3 w/ HZRDUS RDX Black6.0, A1 setting

Fairway:  :titelist-small:  Titleist TSi3 15* with HZRDUS RDX Black 6.0, 1/2 short, A4 setting

Fairway:  :callaway-small: Callaway Apex UW, 19* with HZRDUS RDX Black

Irons:.   :taylormade-small: Taylor Made P790 4-9 with KBS Tour Flt 120 Stiff shaft

Wedges:.   :vokey-small:Titleist Vokey SM9, 50, 56 with KBS Tour stiff shaft

Wedges:.   :vokey-small:Titleist Vokey SM7, 60* with Tour Flt stiff shaft

Putter:   :odyssey-small: Odyssey Ten mallet

Ball:.  :titelist-small:  Titleist Left Dash Pro V1x

Grips:. Golf Pride MCC+4, 3 wraps

It has helped me just have a better understanding of equipment. They way MyGolfSpy tests clubs is beneficial for a scratch golfer to your high handicapper. I love watching YouTube reviews of clubs but the guys who test them are better than me so the club may be forgiving for them but for me it may not. 

RD12

On 10/29/2016 at 4:56 PM, GolfSpy Barbajo said:

I have used it as a reference point.  Mostly I buy used clubs so in conjunction with other research, I used MGS to filter out all the clubs that may be proven to underperform or be generally disappointing to enough to warrant notice.

I also have used it for miscellaneous items like umbrellas, push cart, headcovers, shoes, ball change, bag, etc.   As for clubs .... again, I buy used it is mostly the prior years most wanted combine with forum discussions.

On certain items like balls, it has allowed me insight that I otherwise would not have known or been privy to.  When it comes to clubs, it has actually done more to validate my prior beliefs that if I could shoot 75 85 or 95 with x club, then I would most likely be able to shoot the same with x-years clubs also.  So much so that without you guys mentioning it I often tee it up with Eye2's and 845s and just realize the 7 in those sets is more like the 8 or 8.5 in current set and ignore the iron labeling.  Performance is often more to my liking.  
FWIW - I consult MGS on most every purchase type I have in golf.  Although none would be new clubs.
The one area I disagree is in the area of "fittings".  That has more to do with the competence of most ""fitters""" and less to do with the concept.    I have hated every set I have been "fitted" for.  So the word is a complete misnomer in my opinion/experience.

COBRA F9.  Consulted for initial purchase (used) to replace M1 (also used).  But through MGS I am confident the F9 is reasonably up to par with all that has hit market since and given how well it has performed for me, isn't worth the risk of finding a better stick, that doesn't match up for me the same.  
Added intense consistency and yardage for me instantly.  Still does.  (aspects of that increase were also due to slight issues with prior drivers also, which F9 revealed for me).
Balls.  I would say the switch to srixon and previously Bridgestone from Pro V1x has been extremely beneficial for me and MGS prompted that with ball fitting talk years back.  Each of those has consistently provided me with more/better yardage throughout the bag with much better spin numbers.

As for how much - hard to say.  Given I was a much better and frequent player prior to MGS showing up in my life.  So I would have to hazard a guess that without these purchases, I would shoot 3-7 shots worse on average.  Especially the F9.  Going from 250-270 off tee to 265-290 is a major deal especially when several per month dip their toe into the 300 carry range.  Unheard of with my prior tools of the last 10 years. Ball change impacts this as well.  ProV1x would bring all that down 10-15% easily.  Though I love how it feels off the face, the feel I get watching it climb due to overspin is also a feel - SADNESS.

Enjoying the game - yes, it is nice to see the best come out when I am playing well.  Poor is always poor for all of us, but that is user error not MGS related. 

For me it come from enjoying all the ancillary aspects of being a golfer...... tremendously increased thanks to MGS among other avenues but it started here for me.

It has also allowed me to share concrete and tangible info with other golfers which I am more than aware has helped them over and again.   Ex:  the write up about balls a few years back revealing some fact vs fiction on "softer" balls has helped two of my playing buddies who were chasing soft to their detriment.  And oddly - one youtuber who I sent the link two ditched his series about finding the best 'soft" ball.  As it was not where he fell in the spectrum, which he was wholly unaware of prior to perusing the MGS write up.

I am glad you guys exist and have been absorbing the content to a relatively high degree since about 2013 or 2014 range.

Thank you!

WITB

Drivers: Cobra F9 w/Atmos

HOOK STICKS(hybrids): Adams Pro 20*/23*  hook sticks!🤓

IRONS: Bridgestone Tour Stage TS-202 (5-PW)  /  Yamaha Inpres XV Forged (5-PW)   /   Ping Eye2 (3-S)

WEDGES: Callaway MackDaddy2 52*/56*

PUTTER: Ping Zing2 /  Anser4  /  Bobby Grace LoPro   / Bobby Grace Fat Lady Swings

BALLS:   :srixon-small:  Z-Star    :vice:  Pro +

:ping-small:        :callaway-logo-1:   :cobra-small:   :1332069271_TommyArmour:      :bobby-grace-1:   :adams-small:      :cleveland-small: 

epic driver, 3-5-7 woods. Vokey wedges- 50-54-58.  

I really like reading about the tech in adjustable clubs. The more I have read, the better the tweaks to my woods and hybrids to really dial in what i want to see. On the other hand, all the ball testing, while excellent as a science, isn't as practical. I really believe that your take on low vs high compression is true due to my own testing with a driver, but distance wise with my swing speed, most premium balls go about the same distance off all other clubs. However, I play a lot of found balls and at my swing speeds, I haven't found that minor scuffing affects the ball at all. At 70, my clubs are more hand grenade range rather than precise sniper hits anyway.

You bet. Farther and straighter. The epic woods find the fairway more often and the Vokeys are good from 105 yards and in. Chipping better than ever.

Again, can't argue with farther and straighter. Additionally, as I buy a year or two behind new releases, I have a lot of data when I go to Callaway pre-owned to make an informed decision on what my next clubs will be. 

Lets face it, the major golf magazines have hot lists etc, but there isn't enough differentiation among the products. It seems like all the major manufacturers get a gold rating for their premier clubs, which is probably true as a lot of clubs are good right now, but I need data representative of people that don't drive the ball at 180 mph. I would rather read what 4 or 5 guys say on MGS. The latest Paradigm iron test was an eye opener, as none of the golf magazines would ever say that center hits go 10-12 yards farther than even slightly off center hits. I realize that off center hits are killer bad, but 10-12 yards is a club difference. I know at least one of the major magazines has 30-40 people hitting a lot of clubs, but an in depth review by each of them for each club isn't to be found as far as I know.

Driver: Callaway Epic 9 degree, stiff (set at 10 degrees with the movable weight in the center}

FW: Callaway Epic 3,5, heaven wood w/ regular shaft (driver shaft in 3 wood, 3 wood shaft in 5 wood, 5 wood shaft in heaven wood, all three set at neutral plus 1 degree)

Hybrids: Callaway BB19 4,6,7 (4 set at neutral plus 1 degree and 6 and 7 set at neutral minus 1 degree for gapping purposes)

Irons: Callaway Rogue ST Max 8, 9, PW 

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 50,54,58

Ball: Titleist Pro V1, 1X, Vice Pro Plus or anything I find that day and try out for the fun of it (I haven't bought balls with my own money in at least 10 years)

Awhile ago I read an article about choosing a five wood over a three wood. Wow, what a difference and I can it the five further and with more consistency than my three. Glad I read the thread. Well worth the time. 
also a nice article about the proper ball to use for your specific swing speed. Another fine written thread. 
it’s a true pleasure to get others opinions on what has worked for them and what they struggle with. It makes one feel like they are not alone. 
many thanks for taking the time to publish and to write these helpful articles. 
gene

Witb= Rogue max LS driver

3wood 5 wood and 7 wood all first gen stealth. 
22 degree pxg hybrid 25 degree pxg hybrid  

6-pw Srixon zx5 mkII irons  traded in pxg 0211 from 4 years ago  

50-54-58 edel wedges with moveable weights  

labgolf putter with upgraded shaft  

thats 15 clubs  needless to say not all come to the course with me  

A couple of drivers (Ping G410, Cobra F9),  SkyTrak launch monitor for my garage, Edel wedges, and Maxfli Tour balls.  I do not solely use MGS but your info starts the research.

I don't believe the hype and can read through the marketing BS

Probably not as much as working out has.  

Hitting balls more solid has been the main thing and knowing I am actually getting what I expect.

I cannot remember all, but Evnroll ER 1.2, Maxfli Tour balls, Adidas Code Chaos shoes.  There may actually be more things that I did not buy, because of the review.

Dont belive all the hype, especially about clubs (drivers) and balls.

I think over all getting fit (suggestion by MGS) and sticking with the clubs I have, has lowered my scores.  As for Maxfli balls, I save money, i.e. good performance vs. high cost.

Yes, it has helped, mainly I dont worry about gear and changing gear all the time.

Woods:  :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Max LS 9*,  Ventus Blue 6S / :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+, 15*, MCA Diamana Thump 75S
Hybrid: :PXG: 0317 X Proto 3H & 4H, Ventus Blue 7S  

Irons: :Takomo: Takomo IRON 101 5-PW, Accra T90i S
Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX ZipCore 48*, Accra T90i, 53* & 58*, Accra T100i S
Putter: :EVNROLL: ER1.2, 355g, :kbs: Tour GPS, 33" w/
image.png.709cedef1b6b981263b7fb0d3abefd71.png Mid Slim 2.0
Ball: Maxfli Tour
Bag/Cart: :callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 Stand Bag / :Clicgear: 4.0 / Alphard Club Booster V2, Swivel kit
Accessories: :Arccos: 360 /  Garmin G80 / Nikon Coolshot Pro Stabilized 

On 10/29/2016 at 3:56 PM, GolfSpy Barbajo said:

>>>>>

This is kind of important, so give this some thought and let us know what you think.

Here we go:

Questions:

Thanks guys - looking forward to your input!

Answers to the above:

1. Yes, very frequently.  Have the Stealth driver, Srixon ZX 3W, Cobra RadSpeed hybrid, EVNROLL ER7, Snell, OnCore, Maxfli Tour golf balls.  Oh yeah, used to have the Ping Pioneer golf bag too.  Come to think of it, SkyTrak and PrecisionPro rangefinder also.

2. Yes, absolutely.  Before I even consider a new piece of equipment, I check MyGolfSpy first.

3. My scores have gone down over the past 5 years, and I think it's due to making better swings with better equipment.

4. I enjoy the game more than ever and MyGolfSpy is a huge part of that enjoyment.  I'm on the website almost daily!

-- Peejer

:taylormade-small: Stealth Driver
:srixon-small: ZX 3W
:cobra-small: RadSpeed 3-hybrid
:taylormade-small: P790 (2021) irons (4-PW)
635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png  CBX-2 GW, SW & LW
:EVNROLL: ER7 Putter
:srixon-small: Q-Star Tour DIVIDE / image.png.5c73aa0e191520c63e4a7567ea08cf4a.pngTour -  image.png.70e0eeb259be4d89842e31955c4a2f83.png
image.png.01a298ec5595cfbe94cf034d738c10fd.png Revolver XL
image.png1500Li Cart

:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9 HD Pro Rangefinder / image.png.e9071b3377299921b87f929d3e042fa6.png S20 GPS Watch
image.png.a78b2d4ee5b8826f57bf30ca7bcf0cb7.png + Launch Monitor

Denver, Colorado

Home Course:  Eisenhower Golf Club, USAF Academy   usafa.png.fb60aa7a77f130b1057160837c0a4a29.png

image.png

image.png

1. Have you purchased any golf products based on MyGolfSpy reviews?  (Please list which ones.)......Yep...PXG Driver

2. How has MyGolfSpy changed the way you think about golf equipment?.....Opened options

3. Have these purchases lowered your scores? (List which products and how much they have lowered your scores.).....Too early to tell

4. How have these purchases helped you enjoy the game more? How?......More consistency

Thanks

Have purchased a Red Rooster glove to give it a try after its high ratings in last year's test.

Also gamed a dozen Maxfli Tour balls late last season after the recommendation.

I haven't made the big golf purchase that I anticipated this year just yet but have ruled out some considerations after reading tests.

Driver; Callaway RAZR Fit

Fairway and hybrids: Callaway X2 Pro

Irons: Mizuno JPX 825

Wedges: Mizuno JPX 825 Pro

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2