Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Off-Season Goals Time

Mr_Theoo

Well with the first snowfall here I guess it's as good of a time as any to start thinking of those offseason goals and parts of our game we wanna work on. Or at least the ones of us who don't live in the warmer climates.

This winter I plan to lose about 40-50 lbs hopefully while also getting much more flexible. I've been hitting the gym about 3-4 times a week but haven't really brought my diet up to speed yet. That'll change after the holidays for sure.

I also want to work a lot on my wedges and putting. I feel that's an area I don't spend enough in yet gets me into the most trouble.

And finally gonna keep trying to add that 10mph of ball speed to the swing. Maybe this year I'll finally get it.

What about the rest of y'all?

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I am with you on the weight loss as I am close to college DT territory.

I also want to practice a bit more at the range. I have a putting green at home and that part of my game is better than ever. The rest comes and goes with a layoff.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* Ltd. HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 TX

Fairway: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver Copper 13.5* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

:Arccos:

Get my clubs in order ( shafts arrive Monday) and practice more in my garage range.

I want to try Haney's 100 swings routine.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Winter in the midwest sucks... hoping to be able to play at least once a week, miserable weather or not.

I also plan to get a bunch of extra clubs and equipment sold off that has accumulated all year (confessions of a club ho).

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I've become realistic about off season goals over the past 2-3 years. The reality for me is: I'm 57 years old. I started playing at 40. I'm only going to get "so good" at the game, at this stage of my life.... no matter what I want/wish. I'm fine with it.

Work gets extremely busy as the golf season ends in Ohio. I work no less than 50 hours a week and usually more like 60-65 hours a week from December through April. I really have no desire to do any golf specific exercises or indoor practice during those months. I'm too busy keeping up with things that need to be done when time allows... not to mention just trying to get some rest.

I'll get the itch around March to go out in the yard and chip a little or go to the golf shop and hit a few in the net. Other than that, until I win the lottery and can devote the time it takes to really improve at the the game, I'll just keep trying to get through the crappy Ohio Winter and look forward to teeing it up come Spring... and just enjoy the game as it is for me... which is fun!

At this time I can't say I'm going to set any golf specific goals. Sure, I could use a little more stretching and might do some/more but that's about it.

I'm playing well right now so for the time being I'm happy. 

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Good topic:   

I have two main goals, one of which I took the first step on yesterday.

1) Regain range some lost range of motion and flexibility.  Over the last 5 years I've lost at least 40 yards off the tee, I attributed some of it to age (now 57) and the rest to lack of flexibility, due to yes age and also the aftereffects of a pretty serious car accident several years back that at the time caused some damage to my neck and back.  I have never worked seriously on regaining any of this flexibility.  But next month I start a 6 week Physical Therapy program to see how it can be improved.

2) I took a couple lessons this year and the two big things the pro gave me to work on were having more of a swing than a hitting motion, he gave me some drills that can be done with a 7 iron by taking half swings.  I did this a bit on the range during the summer, but never enough to fully make the transition from hitting to swinging. I plan on using our indoor hitting area out onto the range to really groove this move this year, then go from there.   I feel if I can get more of a swing than a "hit" I'll naturally unleash a bit more club speed to regain some of that loss of distance. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Certainly, my goal is to play better; to do what is necessary in that regard.   I think that is a pretty standard goal for most golfers.  However, my experience this past year has given me a somewhat less tangible goal.  Early in the year, I encountered a health concern that kept me off the course for several months.  Needless to say, it frustrated me significantly. Fortunately, my doctors eventually told me to  understand my health restrictions and respond accordingly, but told me to play and enjoy myself.    I came to realize that I have aged and I will never be what I use to be.   Given the experience of the past year, my primary goal for the coming season is to never forget how lucky I am even when I'm not playing is well as I want; when my body just will not respond to what my brain is instructing it to do.   To never forget how important my friends are that I have made through this game.  

Yes, like most, I want to improve, but my goal is to never forget that I am still playing on the green side of the grass with my buds.

First, I have to ask. You still live in Columbus and got snow?

Sent from my SM-G920V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Yup. First snow was last Saturday. The day before it was 70°

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

My goals for the off season.

1.  Don't buy a new driver.  Had some issues with this one last year and bought 4 different heads and 5 or 6 shafts.  Only to end up back with the SLDR at the end of the year.  It flat out works for me so I'm going to try very hard to not buy another new driver.  That new Cally Epic though...

2.  Get to the simulator at least once a month

3.  Putt more in my basement.

4.  Do my best not to go stir crazy from short days, long cold nights and no golf.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

We really don't have an off-season, just a cold season.  Playing in this weather is both a blessing (Hey!  I'm playing!) and a problem (I think my swing changes a little because of extra clothes, lack of flexibility and shorter distances makes me want to hit it harder).  I'm retired, but my wife is still working otherwise we would likely be snowbirds.

Sure I need to lose weight; sure I need more flexibility; sure I could practice more.  Will I?  They can be goals, but...

"OK, I'll try."

" NO, do... or do not!  There is no try."

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

My goals for the off season.

1. Don't buy a new driver. Had some issues with this one last year and bought 4 different heads and 5 or 6 shafts. Only to end up back with the SLDR at the end of the year. It flat out works for me so I'm going to try very hard to not buy another new driver. That new Cally Epic though...

2. Get to the simulator at least once a month

3. Putt more in my basement.

4. Do my best not to go stir crazy from short days, long cold nights and no golf.

Yes the epic looks nice. So does the new M2

There is no official Off Season around here, only a Wet season....  

My goals for the Wet season are to

1. Sharpen up my wedge game
  2. Lose that lingering 10 lbs....
  3. Run a LOT more miles
  4. Be a nicer human 
  5. Improve interpersonal communication skills
  6. Become a lot less judge-y. 
  7. Drink more coffee. (I don't know if this is humanly possible, but I am going to try)
  8. Get outside.

That is all I have for now..

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

This off season I'm planning to continue to build up my strength and energy from the 4 months off this summer. Get the body then the game ready for spring and a chance at single digit handicap.

#MyGoals #MyGolfSpy

Tazz

Sent using the MGS app!

@bigtazzGOLF on Twitter

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

Also, is the Golfsmith closed up there yet?

Sent from my SM-G920V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Not yet

Yup. First snow was last Saturday. The day before it was 70°

I can vouch for this :-)

WITB:
Driver: Cobra King LTD
Fairway: Ping G25 (3)
Hybrid: Ping i25 (22 degree)
Crossover: Ping G 5
Irons: Ping i25 (5 -PW)
Wedges: Bridgestone J15 forged 50 and 55 degree
Putter: Cleveland TFi Elevado w/ Winn Pro grip.

Archived