Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Callaway Chrome Soft

newballcoach

A guy handed me a Chrome soft Truvis ball that was yellow and black last week on the first tee box. I said I'd try it and proceeded to shoot a 37/46....since then I have shot a 44/39 and a 41/45 on my home course which is longer than the other by 300 yes. That's right! 3 complete rounds with one ball! That's amazing.......it performed admirably, great distance off the tee, good control with the irons and stopping power on the greens. Plus, I like the soft smooth feel off my EVNRoll.

How many rounds can you get out of one ball?

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Hi guys.

I was looking for a forum topic on this ball and couldn't find one. I am struggling to find a ball that works well for my game. I have been playing 2-piece distance balls like the Nike PD Long (although not for long) and I have played some Snell Get Sum's as well.

These balls have worked fairly well for me off the tee, but obviously have tremendous limitations everywhere else. I have a lot of spin off the tee, so playing the tour-level balls that all the other sites seem to recommend is probably not a good option for me.

Does anybody play the Chrome Soft? From what I have read about it, it seems to be the perfect mix of low driver spin and greenside feel and spin. I have a club speed around 105-110 (I had a driver fitting in November) but all sorts of issues with inconsistent contact and I struggle with a slightly out-to-in path on occasion.

Anybody have any feedback for me? What do you guys think of the chrome soft? I know Tony hates it, but from reading this site over the last 6 months or so I seem to think he hates everything :D

I have been playing the Nike RZN Tour Black balls and absolutely love then. I believe the black is their low-spin ball compared to the Tour Platinum. If you have a chance I would recommend picking up a few and trying them out.

Best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I have been playing the Nike RZN Tour Black balls and absolutely love then. I believe the black is their low-spin ball compared to the Tour Platinum. If you have a chance I would recommend picking up a few and trying them out.

Best of luck!

I got a sleeve of the Blacks during our Club Championship recently. Although I have not yet played them, I have talked a couple guys out of their Platinum sleeves and played the Platinum today. Shot 41/43:84. I like how smooth it is off the putter.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

That's impressive! 1-2 rounds on a ProV1 and it's pretty well done. They usually drown before they get used up though! ;)

I decided 3 rounds was enough and retired the soccer ball, besides the black images were wearing off.

That's impressive! 1-2 rounds on a ProV1 and it's pretty well done. They usually drown before they get used up though! ;)

I just played 2 rounds with a new Pro-V1 and must say it was just as new looking as when I took it out of the sleeve (except for 1 cart path rash which I cleaned up with a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser). I know the Pro-V's look worn out after 3 rounds or so but I think the newer (2016 or 2017) models hold up rather well. I will state that any of the Callaway Yellow balls really hold up but that may be because of the color.

WITB - :taylormade-small:

Driver - TaylorMade M2 - Stiff flex / 12.5*

3 & 7 Wood - TaylorMade M2

6i -Gap - TaylorMade M4- Stiff flex

Wedges - TaylorMade ATV 55* & 60*

Putter - Odyssey 2 Ball

Ball - Titleist Pro V1

Bushnell Tour V3 rangefinder

Right Handed Neutral lie on all clubs

I'm amazed how many pro-v1 I find in the rough. I especially enjoy going out after our club has a big event. Pick up 4-6 balls each time - all spanking new I just leave the cheap golf balls where they lie.

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Guys thanks for all the recommendations and chatter. The other weekend I got a chance on our local simulator to do a very rough set of ball testing over an 18 hole round. I borrowed a few balls from friends, bought a couple 3ball sleeves at the local golftown (canadian golfsmith) and had a few balls in my bag I found on the course (I'm excellent at finding golf balls in the forest, I spend a lot of time there). 

I used the following balls: Snell Get Sum, Callaway Superhot 55, Prov1, Prov1x, Srixon Z star, Z star XV, Snell MTB, Chrome Soft (foz I liked the soccer ball look). I found exactly what I heard Dean Snell say this weekend at the Toronto Golf Show, that all the balls essentially went the same (although I felt like I drove the Chrome Soft and MTB the best). I did not enjoy the prov1's (although it is likely they weren't a new version) as I already spin the ball a lot (I was getting over 4000 RPM's with it). I was able to hit the srixon balls pretty well, and I didn't really notice anything good about the other two. 

I never thought I would be a fan of a soft/low-compression ball. I swing pretty hard, and have been slowly getting better at getting consistent distance and more accuracy. However, after what I saw the other weekend, I definitely will be picking up more MTB's this year (price can't be beat). I did really like the chrome soft as well though and might play more of those as well. 

Like I said, not exactly scientific and I plan to do a little more work in the spring once we get more golfing weather, but it was fun for me to do a little testing and gave me a result I probably wouldn't have expected. Thanks again for everybody's input!

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

All of this - you should find very little difference in spin off the driver and regardless the way the ball plays around the green is more significant.

Good luck

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

This, but I'll add this.  The Chrome Soft, especially if you swing down on the ball, is probably the softest landing, hardest spinning ball I've ever played.  Just last week, I had a 90 yard wedge, off a 56* Cleveland CG-16 played back in the stance, to produce a down strike, back up 15feet after landing on the green, which is very good shape for late February in Atlanta, meaning that it is green, but about half of that is from the fertilizer, and we've had rain, but not flooding type rains after a summer of drought.

All of this is just a back drop though. Because what I failed to mention was that 15 foot back up was UP HILL (not a lot, but enough to generate a 6-12 inch break on a lateral putt. 

Dru - Owner, President & Janitor, Druware Software Designs

RH 13.1 Handicap in soggy Georgia 

WITB
* 1W 10.5* @ PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 3W PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff ) 
* 5W 18* Tailor-made AeroBurner ( Stock Stiff )
* 7W  Sub70 949x ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 5i-PW @ PXG 0211 ( Gen 1 )
* 52 @ Hogan Equalizer
* 56 @ Sub70 
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Vice Pro Plus

Guys thanks for all the recommendations and chatter. The other weekend I got a chance on our local simulator to do a very rough set of ball testing over an 18 hole round. I borrowed a few balls from friends, bought a couple 3ball sleeves at the local golftown (canadian golfsmith) and had a few balls in my bag I found on the course (I'm excellent at finding golf balls in the forest, I spend a lot of time there). 

I used the following balls: Snell Get Sum, Callaway Superhot 55, Prov1, Prov1x, Srixon Z star, Z star XV, Snell MTB, Chrome Soft (foz I liked the soccer ball look). I found exactly what I heard Dean Snell say this weekend at the Toronto Golf Show, that all the balls essentially went the same (although I felt like I drove the Chrome Soft and MTB the best). I did not enjoy the prov1's (although it is likely they weren't a new version) as I already spin the ball a lot (I was getting over 4000 RPM's with it). I was able to hit the srixon balls pretty well, and I didn't really notice anything good about the other two. 

I never thought I would be a fan of a soft/low-compression ball. I swing pretty hard, and have been slowly getting better at getting consistent distance and more accuracy. However, after what I saw the other weekend, I definitely will be picking up more MTB's this year (price can't be beat). I did really like the chrome soft as well though and might play more of those as well. 

Like I said, not exactly scientific and I plan to do a little more work in the spring once we get more golfing weather, but it was fun for me to do a little testing and gave me a result I probably wouldn't have expected. Thanks again for everybody's input!

I think the Snell balls are criminally underrated....

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

If you don't like the soft sound from the chrome soft, I have heard that the chrome soft X is basically the same ball but has a slightly different cover that sounds a bit more like what people are used to. What I have heard is that many people liked the Chrome soft, but didn't like that it sounds soft with drivers and such, so Callaway is offering the X ball as an alternative with the same playability of the soft but I but a bit harder sounding. I like the chrome soft because for me it has much less spin off the driver.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I played the red "soccer" ball a couple of rounds, pretty good ball.  Much easier to find during fall golf.  hehehe

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

I played the red "soccer" ball a couple of rounds, pretty good ball. Much easier to find during fall golf. hehehe

The yellow and black one is way better for fall golf.a bunch of us use a yellow ball in the dormant Bermuda and they work well.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Archived