Jiro

Re-gripping with an air compressor

Regripped my test clubs last night putting my lamkins back on. 5 clubs regripped with air. Took 10 minutes. Finally getting the hang of this and I love it.

Tazz

Grip n Rip it

• Like 4

Thanks for the feedback. I put the grips back on last night, no problem, kept the PSI at 30ish, quick and easy.

Will help in the build process too (I think) after you put in your tip weights you can pop on the grips, put the heads on and check everything on the scale to make sure you are getting the swing weight you want for the club.

For my clubs I would stick to the compressor, but I think for customers I will do the final install using the old fashioned method...just for my own piece of mind, I have seen people abuse the crap out of a club and then try to claim it broke 'during the swing' lol

If anyone has issues with grips bursting when removing. Try a piece of plumbing waste pipe slightly larger diameter than the grip your removing and it stops the grip expanding and exploding. I've been using this method for years with no complaints. Just cut a piece of waste pipe slightly longer than a standard grip, slip it over the grip and inject needle into end of grip and apply air pressure and your good to go. If your having problems getting the air to start working, hold the end of the grip and twist. I've been using this method and the same piece of pipe for about 10 years.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

Hey

Are you looking for an air compressor for $80 to $100? I imagine Central pneumatic air compressor will be right for you. You can take it.

Thanks 

central pneumatic 8 gallon air compressor.jpg

Bringing this one back up for some help. I have used air on my grips for over a year now with no issues, I do not use 2 sided tape, just blue painters tape.

I put on the new GP Align midsize grips, and what I have noticed is that from the buttons up the shaft about 2-3 inches, I can move the grip (twist it) with my hand the rest of the grip is tight and I cannot move it. I checked this with my other set that have Lamkin UTx on them and I cannot move the grip. Should I put a small pc of 2 sides tape on to help keep it in place. Is there another option to try, I hate taking the grip off when there is 2 sided tape on them. Anyone else having this problem. Also the guys at GG say that these grips on irons are really hard to get on straight. I am also finding that out, but the grips feel really good. Any help is appreciated.

I installed the GP align grips on my clubs this winter. For me they were really hard to get on the last couple of inches. I did have a little bit of movement with the clubs when they were mounted directly on the shaft. Once i put some single sided tape down they were snug. 

Getting them straight was really hard. To the point that none of mine are perfectly straight. I'm kind of thinking that putting a bamboo skewer under the tape would have been a better idea.

I'm thinking about buying the Pure gun, but is it necessary? I have a small 2 gal. compressor that supposedly can go up to 100 psi. I mostly use it to blow dust out of computers, fill tires, etc. I have an attachment but I don't think it's small enough to concentrate the air into the grip.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

The Pure gun is terrific! I use it with my pancake compressor.

• Like 3

You could make your own gun out of PVC but the Pure gun (I have it) is the goods.

• Like 2

This past week I setup my new gripping station and thought I'd share a few pics. I purchased my setup from Maltby. I also got a new compressor.

Wednesday evening I put everything to the test and regripped all my clubs using GP CP2 grips. The Maltby setup was a pleasure to use and made the process simple. I didn't use my compressor much except on two clubs. I had a $hitty connection** setup using the supplied quik-connect couplings and hose. So, I just installed my grips the old standard way using solvent and sliding on the grips by hand. No air. As you can see in my pictures the Maltby vise clamps into my existing bench vise. The Maltby device has a single lever-action to clamp the shafts. It's fully adjustable to set just the right amount of pressure to the shaft whether they be steel or graphite. My setup has tape holders for double-sided and build up tape. I only used the tape dispenser on two clubs as I left the existing tape on the shafts for all the other clubs. But, the tape dispenser was handy. My setup also came with a plastic solvent catch pan and a length of clear tubing to recapture the solvent into a jug. The Maltby grip station I purchased also came with an attachable club face alignment device that I don't particularly care for at this time. The idea behind this to help align the clubface/head squarely thereby insuring your grip is also aligned properly. I didn't think it worked as intended or perhaps I just don't "get it". Honestly, it's not necessary IMO. All told I'm pleased with my setup and the quality of the Maltby grip station. It's easy to setup, not expensive, and makes regripping a breeze.

** the way I connected the hose to the nozzle with the supplied quik-connect coupling was a bust. Each time it seemed I was ready to put the air to the grip my hand would cause the quik-connect to decouple. Just yesterday I purchased a new hose with 1/4" screw in connections. Now I've screwed the hose directly into the nozzle. Perfect.

attachicon.gif20170311_093935.jpg

attachicon.gif20170306_185705.jpg

attachicon.gif20170220_192136.jpg

attachicon.gif20170312_103111.jpg

Update:

I've got quite a bit of usage from my grip station since last year. Mostly from buddies want to regrip their clubs. But that's ok because if give us a good excuse to get together for a while and shoot the $s***.

The Maltby setup like I have works beautifully and is a breeze to work with. The only draw-back I suppose is that the drip pan is a little shakey. It works fine and catches all the solvent etc. but the way it attaches to the device isn't ideal. But it works.

I also don't use the compressor like I thought I would. I find putting on grips the old fashion way easier for me. However, the compressor has been useful for removing a grip during installation if the slid-on method gets stuck or something.

A word of caution: about a week ago a buddy came over to put on some new grips. I just let him do all the work since he knows what he's doing. Anyway, he switched to gripping a graphite driver or FW club and didn't adjust the clamp pressure and cracked the shaft on one of his clubs. We both heard the sound and after a close inspection saw a small 2" crack running parallel to the shaft. I played with him a few days later and he said he didn't notice anything unusual with the club/shaft. The crack was closer to the grip end of the shaft. 

Wow. I'd be afraid to play with a cracked shaft.

Thanks for feedback on setup.

• Like 2

I'm thinking about buying the Pure gun, but is it necessary? I have a small 2 gal. compressor that supposedly can go up to 100 psi. I mostly use it to blow dust out of computers, fill tires, etc. I have an attachment but I don't think it's small enough to concentrate the air into the grip.

certainly not necessary ... all you need is a way to "inject" air into the butt end of the grip

it really depends on how much money you want to spend ... you can get a kit like the one in post #50 for ten dollars (maybe less) or spend the extra cash and get the Pure gun (which is certainly a convenient option)

I went the simple route 10 (or more) years ago and bought an air gun and nozzle that fits snugly into the end of grips from Harbor Freight (similar to what is shown in post #50). Since then I've re-gripped my clubs, my wife's clubs and my kids clubs (plus others) many, many times and haven't had any reason to upgrade. 

• Like 3

Although not necessary, the Pure Gun definitely makes easy work of things. I was able to snag one from Amazon for only $12 a couple months ago.

I've used one of these attachments a few times and they work okay too. They typically come with an attachment bundle. IMG_1085.JPG

• Like 2

Although not necessary, the Pure Gun definitely makes easy work of things. I was able to snag one from Amazon for only $12 a couple months ago.

I've used one of these attachments a few times and they work okay too. They typically come with an attachment bundle. attachicon.gifIMG_1085.JPG

Yeah, that's exactly like the one I have, but the hole seems too big. I've never seen the butt end of a pure grip in person but I can't imagine it's bigger than any other grip.

The gun is only $37 on Amazon right now so it's not like it would break the bank, but if you guys say it makes it easier I always trust my spy bros. How comparable are the Pure Pros to MCCs in terms of feel and sweaty-hands-grippage? Anyone use both?

• Like 1

Yeah, that's exactly like the one I have, but the hole seems too big. I've never seen the butt end of a pure grip in person but u I can't imagine it's bigger than any other grip.

I took the rubber piece off and it makes it way easier to slide into the end of the grip.

IMG_1086.JPG

• Like 3

I took the rubber piece off and it makes it way easier to slide into the end of the grip.

attachicon.gifIMG_1086.JPG

Interesting, maybe I'll try that before ordering. My mom wants to get back into golf after following me on IG, LOL! She said she needs new grips so I have a couple of clubs I can test with hehe

• Like 2

.........but if you guys say it makes it easier I always trust my spy bros. How comparable are the Pure Pros to MCCs in terms of feel and sweaty-hands-grippage? Anyone use both?

I just made the switch in the fall from the MCCs to PURE Pros. One important distinction is the Pros are a rubber grip like Tour Velvet. If you want to keep with the same corded feel, the PURE DTX grips would be a closer comparison. Those, I have not played.

So far so good for the switch I did make. I prefer the Pro grips in feel and shape. The MCCs were awesome grips that I played for many years but I ultimately made the switch because 1) got sick of getting locked into one hand position 2) my soft, gentle hands were getting chewed up as I started hitting the range more and 3) great color selection. The Pros have more of a tapered feel with a bigger butt end slanting to slimmer for your bottom hand. At first, that made the grip feel skinnier than but I've grown accustomed to it and am now hitting the ball straighter.

I've covered feel but can't really comment on durability/sweaty hands yet. They're tacky enough and have stayed tacky. I washed them once which made them almost sticky but that went away after 1 range session (thank God) and returned to a slightly-tackier-than-Tourvelvet tackiness. I practiced a ton this winter so durability doing just fine. My hands (soft and gentle) don't get sweaty so that's never an issue with my grips. Will see how they hold up to hand oils over the summer. Every other grip is white so those will definitely show wear if it happens.

Edit: Oh yeah, almost forgot. I played 27 in the rain once with them. Handled beautifully. No issues whatsoever with slippage and I could still get after it with all swings with all clubs. I suppose playing in the rain is as close as I can get to sweaty hands.

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

I just made the switch in the fall from the MCCs to PURE Pros. One important distinction is the Pros are a rubber grip like Tour Velvet. If you want to keep with the same corded feel, the PURE DTX grips would be a closer comparison. Those, I have not played.

So far so good for the switch I did make. I prefer the Pro grips in feel and shape. The MCCs were awesome grips that I played for many years but I ultimately made the switch because 1) got sick of getting locked into one hand position 2) my soft, gentle hands were getting chewed up as I started hitting the range more and 3) great color selection. The Pros have more of a tapered feel with a bigger butt end slanting to slimmer for your bottom hand. At first, that made the grip feel skinnier than but I've grown accustomed to it and am now hitting the ball straighter.

I've covered feel but can't really comment on durability/sweaty hands yet. They're tacky enough and have stayed tacky. I washed them once which made them almost sticky but that went away after 1 range session (thank God) and returned to a slightly-tackier-than-Tourvelvet tackiness. I practiced a ton this winter so durability doing just fine. My hands (soft and gentle) don't get sweaty so that's never an issue with my grips. Will see how they hold up to hand oils over the summer. Every other grip is white so those will definitely show wear if it happens.

Edit: Oh yeah, almost forgot. I played 27 in the rain once with them. Handled beautifully. No issues whatsoever with slippage and I could still get after it with all swings with all clubs. I suppose playing in the rain is as close as I can get to sweaty hands.

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

Nice, I'll give them a try!

• Like 1

I use a kit similar to this one.  I use the triggered accessory holder and the barbed nozzle on the second row down in the center, directly under the center inflating needle.  Works really well.

85bfbdd6-2891-4336-926b-1e6ed229641d_100

That barbed needle so to speak is exactly what I use. If you already have the blower you can buy that fitting at a quality auto parts store like NAPA or any truck parts supplier

• Like 4