Jiro

Re-gripping with an air compressor

Great find!!

Putting on putter grips works, but it's more difficult, at least the experience I've had. For regular grips the air slightly expands the grip allowing it to be slipped on when short bursts of air are used. Putter grips are thicker and don't expand as much. The grip wants to push back off the shaft. I've found that a little grip solvent works, along with a little patience.

Thanks for feedback. I'm going to practice on some clubs I don't use to get comfortable with the process.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

This is air compressor I'm using and its gets the job done well despite being small. Can be found for under $50 for those of you interested in getting into re-gripping with air.

The answer I have been looking for!  I've been leaning towards getting a pancake compressor but don't want to spend that much money on something that is going to be primarily used for regripping clubs.  What kind of attachment are you using for the grips? 

The answer I have been looking for!  I've been leaning towards getting a pancake compressor but don't want to spend that much money on something that is going to be primarily used for regripping clubs.  What kind of attachment are you using for the grips? 

Here is one on Amazon. Came with a small tip attachment that works just fine. I'm sure the Pure Gun attachment would work much better but I'm not re-gripping enough clubs yet to need that yet

• Like 1

Here is one on Amazon. Came with a small tip attachment that works just fine. I'm sure the Pure Gun attachment would work much better but I'm not re-gripping enough clubs yet to need that yet

Thanks for the link.  I was just talking to some guys on the course to day about regripping clubs.  It's getting time to add a little air to the toolbox.

My wife loves going to garage sales and I've been having her keep an eye out for a compressor. She found a Porter Cable 6 gal, 150 psi pancake compressor for $20 today.

I've been strongly considering putting a super stroke or fat cat on my putter. I assume air works on them too?

Sent from my BLN-L24 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Using the air on the grips that have the weight in it is difficult. Because you can blow out the whole thing. The threaded sleeve in the grip portion is just glued in, so too much air and it will just blowout. Also, there is no hole in the screw end of the weight for SS grips. So your effort will useless unless you use the one that is just the screw Cap with the hole in it. I found also that not using 2-sided tape on some grips, they will move. The SS 2.0 pistol GTR will move, or at least mine did. So did the midsize align grips.

• Like 1

The answer I have been looking for! I've been leaning towards getting a pancake compressor but don't want to spend that much money on something that is going to be primarily used for regripping clubs. What kind of attachment are you using for the grips?

Dude, harbor freight has the little hotdog compressor 50 bucks, and please do yourself a huge favor and save some headache, buy the Pure Gips nozzle. You can thank me later. I've used all the attachments where everyone is saying they work, but the pure grips nozzle makes it so much easier. There are grips that you can't use the pure grips nozzle for, oversize putter, or flat cat. For iron grips though, the pure grips nozzle works way better.

• Like 2

Dude, harbor freight has the little hotdog compressor 50 bucks, and please do yourself a huge favor and save some headache, buy the Pure Gips nozzle. You can thank me later. I've used all the attachments where everyone is saying they work, but the pure grips nozzle makes it so much easier. There are grips that you can't use the pure grips nozzle for, oversize putter, or flat cat. For iron grips though, the pure grips nozzle works way better.

He's not lying. Using the standard probe attachment blows up as many grips as it saves
  • Like 1

I don't remember where I got my Pure Grip gun, but it came free with the purchase of a grip set.  Might want to check out some of the internet retailers that sell Pure Grips for a special.

A friend of mine had new grips put on with grip tape.  He didn't ask me about it.  Then he took a lesson and the pro adjusted his adjustable driver.  He's hitting it much better, but now the grip isn't aligned.  It's an easy fix using air.

Yep, I have been re-gripping with Air for a while now. With the putters, I don't use any tape.....just grip right on the shaft. Works great AND I can slip the grip off with air if I want or need to change it up. I like to cut my putter way down and typically go down an inch at a time until I find the size that fits me best. This is a great way to get it done without buying new grips every time.

• Like 1

Have not read all this but I do this allot. Make sure you have something to go over shaft and grip incase they blow and they can! I already know some grips will come off and some won't, dual cords are brutal they get stuck in the thumb area and thin grips are dangerous they can blow. start with solvent down the top put your safety device over it , use small amount of air and wiggle top of the grip and work down. I got cut in the wrist and leg once with one exploding.  Be careful . Some grips are a breeze on and off with ease. 

I didn't have any luck at all trying this, even with the Pure grip tool.  BTW, I'm assuming that the butt end of the grip needs to be covered with tape.  Otherwise I don't know how this could work.

13 hours ago, Dr Strangelove said:

I didn't have any luck at all trying this, even with the Pure grip tool.  BTW, I'm assuming that the butt end of the grip needs to be covered with tape.  Otherwise I don't know how this could work.

It doesn't need to be, none of mine have tape on them. What went wrong?

• Like 1

I always tape the butt end just so the metal doesn't end up cutting through

It doesn't need to be, none of mine have tape on them. What went wrong?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 3

On ‎3‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 5:34 PM, Dr Strangelove said:

It can be done without tape like @MattF said.  I did my first grip install without tape.  Walk us through your attempt, maybe as a collective group we can help @Kor.A.Door  @BIG STU.  What psi did you have your regulator set on?  Where in the process did you run into trouble?

• Like 1

On 3/26/2019 at 11:34 AM, Dr Strangelove said:

I've never done it without tape so I'm not positive if it's absolutely necessary. I just always wanted the tape on there so I wouldn't possibly alter the feel -- since it is meant to have tape and solvent under it if you grip by traditional method.

Think of it like an air hockey puck, how the air makes it so that the puck doesn't touch the surface so it can glide -- this process is similar. The air will fill the gap between the grip and the shaft, then it will let you move it. The key is to not "choke" the grip, or the air will not be able to fill the gaps.

• Like 1

I replaced my putter grip this afternoon using air. I was putting on a Super Stroke Slim Lite. Started around 30-35 psi which wasn't enough. Slowly ramped up the pressure and once I got to around 60 psi, it just slid right on. I also took the opportunity to trim the shaft about an inch since I usually have a couple fingers on my right hand down below the grip. The only tape I used was to protect the grip from my cut end (I used a tubing cutter, so it wasn't that rough). My Shot Scope sensor fits very loosely (I assume I stretched the hole a bit) so I have to figure out a way to get it more secure so I don't lose it. 

• Like 2

On 3/26/2019 at 2:34 PM, Dr Strangelove said:

Tape doesn't need to be on the shaft, but I recommend it.  Without tape the rubber on the inside of the grip sticks to the shaft a little too much that over time will make removal with air a little more difficult.  Tape on the end to cover the sharp edge of the shaft.

As for the method, check out the video on the Pure Grip website...

• Like 3

I use blue painters tape under the grip. I use 3 wraps of build up, so I actually have 4 wraps of tape on the shaft. The air is set at about 60 psi. Sometimes the tip of the grip does get sticky. So I will take some mineral spirits on the top of my finger and rub it on the inside of the tip of the grip. I may also use my finger to rub a small amount on the blue tape as well. Not enough to make it completely saturated. Just enough that it helps the grip slide on easily. Also, use short bursts of air and slowly move the grip up the shaft. 

• Like 3

On 3/26/2019 at 5:34 PM, Dr Strangelove said:

What grips are you trying to put on? It doesn’t hurt to use a little bit of solvent or mineral spirits to help the grip slide and not stick. It doesn’t take a lot, I use my pinky finger and dip it into the solvent and lightly rub it on the tape and just around the tip of the grip to help it slide sometimes. 

I ended up wrapping the threads of the Shot Scope sensor with a bunch of wraps of teflon tape. Much more secure now. I hope it stays that way.

• Like 1