Jiro

Re-gripping with an air compressor

When re-gripping with air does anyone use regular grip tape or something else?? Or any tape at all??? 

• Like 1

When re-gripping with air does anyone use regular grip tape or something else?? Or any tape at all???

Blue painters tape for me. I think it's like 2-3/4"? It almost fits perfectly around the shaft there's like the smallest amount of steel showing on my NS 105's, not sure of the butt diameter on them, so ymmv

Sent from my Pixel XL using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 2

I don't use tape at all, but a little bit of saliva helps get it started.

• Like 2

I don't use tape at all, but a little bit of saliva helps get it started.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

:lol:

I re-gripped a putter with air but also used grip tape and a lttle solvent.. went on fine.. might not come off so well.. LOL

• Like 1

Blue painters tape for me. I think it's like 2-3/4"? It almost fits perfectly around the shaft there's like the smallest amount of steel showing on my NS 105's, not sure of the butt diameter on them, so ymmv

Sent from my Pixel XL using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Yep!  Blue painter's tape.  Just be sure to extend the tape over the end of the shaft and fold it over the edge.  That's so the grip doesn't get stuck on the metal edge when blowing grips on.

I re-gripped a putter with air but also used grip tape and a lttle solvent.. went on fine.. might not come off so well.. LOL

Sort of defeats the purpose of using air, if you can't take it off easily.

• Like 1

Well I had never done it with air before. Went on great.. hopefully it'll come off fairly easy next year..

Sent from my SM-G900V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Also just started re-gripping with air. Old grips came off easy but had a little trouble getting the last inch or so of the grip all the way on. Not using any air gun style attachment

Also just started re-gripping with air. Old grips came off easy but had a little trouble getting the last inch or so of the grip all the way on. Not using any air gun style attachment

Yeah, when I first started I had trouble with that last bit as well. If I got it all the way flush, it was twisted. Just had to practice a little bit and then I got it down. Personally found the Pure attachment slightly easier in regards to getting the grip down that last little bit.

Yeah, when I first started I had trouble with that last bit as well. If I got it all the way flush, it was twisted. Just had to practice a little bit and then I got it down. Personally found the Pure attachment slightly easier in regards to getting the grip down that last little bit.

Yea I will probably need to keep an eye out for a deal on one of those

Bought a porter cable 6 gallon compressor that had a finishing and brad nailer combo pack to do some projects around the house...at least that's what I told the wife to justify the purchase. Two months later, the projects still aren't complete but I've changed out a dozen grips in the last week alone. I have a hard time getting the old grips off (installed with tape and solvent) but maybe that's due to mediocre quality solvent and tape. 

• Like 1

This is air compressor I'm using and its gets the job done well despite being small. Can be found for under $50 for those of you interested in getting into re-gripping with air.

51Xj2gSiQDL._SX425_.jpg

I've been re-gripping with air for two years.  Also using blue painter tape with extra inch over the butt, and about 60-80 psi with short bursts.   Most recently with Super Stroke s-tech grips.   Works well - grips are solid.

I did have an issue with the midsize align grip on my irons. The butt end up to about 3 inches was movable. Not sure why it was like that, I haven't had that problem with any other grip while just using blue painters tape. What I did to fix it was put 2 sided tape about 2” up from the butt end of the shaft. It stopped and when I took them off it was much easier to do.

Put a GP Tour Velvet on the other day. No tape except for a little bit of electrical tape (couldn't find my painter's tape) to cover the butt end of the shaft. Didn't have any trouble whatsoever and the grip seems to be firmly in place. I think next time I re-grip my clubs, I'll probably use a similar method.

• Like 1

My wife loves going to garage sales and I've been having her keep an eye out for a compressor. She found a Porter Cable 6 gal, 150 psi pancake compressor for $20 today.

I've been strongly considering putting a super stroke or fat cat on my putter. I assume air works on them too?

Sent from my BLN-L24 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 3

I can report that I installed a Superstroke Pistol GTR Tour grip with air. On an old ping pal 4. No problems works great. Have a second same grip to install on current putter.

• Like 1

I pulled off a couple of New Decade Align grips with air today and it was murder. NDs have always have a sticking point right in the middle of the gripthat takes forever to work loose. Probably took 10 minutes per grip to work them loose.

I went through all this because I had built them up and it was a mistake so I wanted to take the wraps back down without sacrificing the grips. They were still fine after working them loose and putting back on w air took mere seconds so was ready for play moments later.

My wife loves going to garage sales and I've been having her keep an eye out for a compressor. She found a Porter Cable 6 gal, 150 psi pancake compressor for $20 today.

I've been strongly considering putting a super stroke or fat cat on my putter. I assume air works on them too?

Sent from my BLN-L24 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Great find!!  

Putting on putter grips works, but it's more difficult, at least the experience I've had.  For regular grips the air slightly expands the grip allowing it to be slipped on when short bursts of air are used.  Putter grips are thicker and don't expand as much. The grip wants to push back off the shaft. I've found that a little grip solvent works, along with a little patience.  

• Like 1