Jiro

Re-gripping with an air compressor

Nice, I'll give them a try!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I had a different experience with Pure grips than Que. I play in South Texas where there is very high humidity and my hands tend to get sweaty. I play full cord grips and don't wear a glove because of this, but I gave the Pure DTX grips a try due to price and reviews that I had read.

I had one grip tear during assembly, which I have never even seen before and I have regripped hundreds of clubs. The grips felt good in cool dry conditions but once summer came around they only lasted about two rounds before I cut them off. They felt slick, slick, slick to me once the weather hit triple digits. Seems I am in the minority but I was not happy with them. I would definitely try one grip first and see how you like it.

I have felt a few of their putter grips though and those feel really good, almost like an Iomic.

• Like 2

I had a different experience with Pure grips than Que. I play in South Texas where there is very high humidity and my hands tend to get sweaty. I play full cord grips and don't wear a glove because of this, but I gave the Pure DTX grips a try due to price and reviews that I had read.

I had one grip tear during assembly, which I have never even seen before and I have regripped hundreds of clubs. The grips felt good in cool dry conditions but once summer came around they only lasted about two rounds before I cut them off. They felt slick, slick, slick to me once the weather hit triple digits. Seems I am in the minority but I was not happy with them. I would definitely try one grip first and see how you like it.

I have felt a few of their putter grips though and those feel really good, almost like an Iomic.

I'm with you, after the raving review from some of the fellas here, I bought 1 pure grip to try, it was entirely too soft for me. Like holding a marshmallow. I didn't loke how it felt at all. Doesn't mean they won't work for some but they felt awful to me. If I were looking I would buy a couple different grips and put them on a couple clubs, and try them before I put them on a full set, find something you like, then put them on all the clubs.

I took the rubber piece off and it makes it way easier to slide into the end of the grip.

attachicon.gifIMG_1086.JPG

Removed my first grip with air tonight. #Woot! This is the secret sauce right here. Take that rubber tip OFF the adapter. I'd tried it before to no avail, but with the barbed end exposed you can stuff it in the end of the grip, and Bob's Your Uncle!!IMG_5137.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 4

My 5i came from Mizuno with a crooked MCC +4 so I thought it was the perfect test club. I didn't have solvent to inject so I just cut it off. Took me about 5 minutes to get it on, but it turned out to be easier than I expected! I used that barbed thing instead of the gun and it was a piece of cake. Thanks for all of the advice! Next up is to try it out on a driver shaft, I got the rubber thing for the vice as a precaution.

IMG_20180429_202339_638.jpg

• Like 4

Make sure your compressor is only set for 45 psi when doing your grips. You don't want to blow them out.

• Like 1

I'm kinda addicted to it now. Got my shaft installed with a Ping adapter from my Epic to see how it plays vs. the Kuro Kage, but I told my fitter/club builder to leave the grip off. Blew a Tour Velvet 360 on there just as easy as the Pure!

Before I got it over that last bit of painters tape!IMG_20180503_154149_761.jpgIMG_20180503_154149_760.jpg

• Like 5

I'm kinda addicted to it now. Got my shaft installed with a Ping adapter from my Epic to see how it plays vs. the Kuro Kage, but I told my fitter/club builder to leave the grip off. Blew a Tour Velvet 360 on there just as easy as the Pure!

Before I got it over that last bit of painters tape!attachicon.gifIMG_20180503_154149_761.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20180503_154149_760.jpg

What's nice about blowing grips on is if you decide to adjust your driver, it takes a minute to tweak the grip to match!!

• Like 3

What's nice about blowing grips on is if you decide to adjust your driver, it takes a minute to tweak the grip to match!!

Never thought of that, but that's cool to remember.

Just tried doing grips with air. It is going to completely revolutionize my re-gripping game! It only took me 5 minutes to pull a grip off, cut it down a couple inches, and throw it back on. I have to say, it's a little addicting. I did a couple putters and a 1 iron. I plan on having some more fun once I get another chance.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

• Like 6

Just tried doing grips with air. It is going to completely revolutionize my re-gripping game! It only took me 5 minutes to pull a grip off, cut it down a couple inches, and throw it back on. I have to say, it's a little addicting. I did a couple putters and a 1 iron. I plan on having some more fun once I get another chance.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Yeah, it's super addicting. I don't even really need new grips for my irons, they're less than 12 months old, but I just want to try different ones to see what's out there because it's so easy, and I can change them out without cutting them.

• Like 2

Minor update -- I finally got the pure "gun" from Amazon after ordering it like 15 days ago or something. I take back what I said about the barbed attachment being just as good, the Pure gun is marginally easier in my experience. I think because of the way you can lean into the grip more and put more forward pressure, it feels like that last bit of grip goes on easier. It's not mandatory by any means, but if you can get one cheap I think it's worth it now. Finished the rest of my mom's irons, gonna put one on my 8i to test the Pure Pros some more, the 5i only got pulled out of the bag once in my last 2 rounds so I haven't had many swings with it yet.

• Like 1

I took the rubber piece off and it makes it way easier to slide into the end of the grip.

attachicon.gifIMG_1086.JPG

I just bought the pure grips gun, but it did not come with the rubber nipple. Was that an aftermarket part and if so where did you get it and what did it cost?

Thanks

I just bought the pure grips gun, but it did not come with the rubber nipple. Was that an aftermarket part and if so where did you get it and what did it cost?

Thanks

The rubber nipple was not part of the Pure Gun, it was on one of the basic compressor tools.

• Like 1

Okay I'm obviously doing something wrong. I got my Pure Grips gun and tried to remove an existing grip with air with no success. I squeezed some solvent into the grip and tried multiple pressures 35,45 & even 60 and no movement at all on the grip. It actually seems like no air is getting into the grip at all. Videos I've seen you can hear the air blast when they are removing the grip, with mine it almost seems like the grip is stopping the air from getting out of the gun. Any suggestions?

Thanks

If they've put on the conventional way and you don't want them, just cut them off. If you want to keep them you might want to get this: https://www.golfworks.com/the-golfworks-v-groove-grip-remover/p/vggrv/

Also, what tip at you using with the gun? The Pure one?

• Like 2

Yep, just cut them off.  Once you re-grip using blue painters tape, you can put on and take off grips easily.  I did manage to get a brand new putter grip off a putter once using a little solvent with the Pure gun, but there wasn't much tape underneath.  

• Like 2

Yep, just cut them off.  Once you re-grip using blue painters tape, you can put on and take off grips easily.  I did manage to get a brand new putter grip off a putter once using a little solvent with the Pure gun, but there wasn't much tape underneath.

It's a new club, so I would like to save the grip. I've seen some OEM grips with not much tape underneath, but I think this one was meant to not come off!

It's a new club, so I would like to save the grip. I've seen some OEM grips with not much tape underneath, but I think this one was meant to not come off!

Stick a nail in the puncture the tape underneath, it can sometime take a lot of solvent, but getting them off when there is 2 sided tape isn't easy, it may be better to use the remover tool.

• Like 2

Stick a nail in the puncture the tape underneath, it can sometime take a lot of solvent, but getting them off when there is 2 sided tape isn't easy, it may be better to use the remover tool.

I've popped a couple off that were taped on; use about 40psi air, and just be persistent. Eventually it will “balloon” a little, and then you can start to work the grip off the club.

• Like 1