Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Show off your Butterknives (Vintage only Please)

Shankster

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My grandparents found this bad boy at a garage sale in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan

Beckley-Ralston stainless steel driving mashieattachicon.gifImage1493475156.604193.jpgattachicon.gifImage1493475172.653648.jpgattachicon.gifImage1493475209.153755.jpgattachicon.gifImage1493475234.038981.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Dang. I live in the UP, I need to get out more.

- Al

I have a Jerry Barber Spalding sand wedge of probably the same vintage over in the building. It is as rough as a cob.. Still has the original leather grip on it though

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Walter Hagen Crown irons. Got the full set and a putter at a yard sale for $5. Still have the original leather wrapped grips on them as well.

attachicon.gifIMG_0679.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0680.JPG

That is a heck of a find for $5. Those appear to be what is called Pyratone shafts which are steel with the wood look. At first in the late 30s and 40s after WW2 steel shafts were non conforming according to the USGA. Then they made them legal. Of course some folks were resistant to change like you know who and so they did the wood grain faux thing. I have a set of Tommy Armour 3800s that have OD green pyratone shafts in them. I bought them for $10 because I thought they were 1952 or 53 vintage and was going to reshaft them for more modern play. A friend of mine on another long gone blog (sadly he is deceased too) was a Macgregor expert. He informed me that those were probably forged before WW2 and the OD shafts meant they were purchased by the military during the war for recreational use by servicemen. Needless to say I never modified them. Now someone probably front line played them in the 60s or 70s because the leather grips are gone and some horrid Green Victory grips are on them. I have had them for 10 years or more and have played them one time over on the little par 58 executive course up the street. I shot 60 with them. They are a little short for me but I have never messed with them because when I think about doing that some other project comes up (usually vintage stuff) and I go with that

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Stu - that MacGregor Staff bag is killer.  Been hunting for a MacGregor bag on eBay to go with my VIP's - think I'm gonna game them for the foreseeable future. I may have committed some sort of sacrilege, however. Didn't like the Rifle 5.0 shafts so I had them reshafted - a buddy put in some "new" Hogan Apex 4 shafts. He's a club builder here in MN and bought up a ton of sets in the early 2000's. He hates KBS C-Tapers with a passion, but he swears by the old Hogan Apex shafts.

That bag is a mini staff Tartan bag and it has a story. My old man sold it to a customer back in the late 60s early 70s and the big zipper on the side messed up. The old man exchanged it and evidently never sent it back to Macgregor for replacement. It may have been around the time he was switching to Wilson. I remember putting it in the box and plastic the other one came in. Slide to 1995 and when my old man passed I was cleaning out the front bedroom in the mobile home and found it. Had it ever since

The Apex shafts in Macs are not a new thing. That was a club makers trick in the 60s and 70s also. Mr Hogan found out about it and sent letters out to his dealers threatening to pull their franchise if they sold Hogan shafts to be installed in any thing but Hogan clubs. I saw the letter because the old man got one and thought it was funny as heck. He told me "I bet old Ben damn near had a heart attack when he found out dealers were installing Apex shafts in non Hogan clubs especially Macgregor"  I know for a fact he and Mr Hogan knew each other and for some reason did not like each other> I never found out why because my old man would never tell why or talk about it. My old man always said "if you can not speak well of a person do not speak of them at all" and he was that way. I do know for a fact and it is well recorded that Mr Hogan and Macgregor had several battles after Mr Hogan left Macgregor to start his own company

G

I have a Wood shaft 4 iron as well. That I do not use! It's in my basement, relaxing

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

PING G425 MAX 5 Wood

Cleveland UHX Launcher 3 Iron

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

I have a Wood shaft 4 iron as well. That I do not use! It's in my basement, relaxing

I learned this from the hickory players over on WRX. You need to check it before you hit it even if it is pinned. The glue that they used in those days was basically a Elmer's wood glue and may have degraded over the years and the head may fly off and or the shaft split from being loose. The shafts were sealed way back when but the sealer was not as good as what we have now. Modern epoxy and modern sealants will do the trick. One of the reasons I have not pursued the hickory route. They have hickory tournaments but the conforming lists of approved clubs is worse than the USGA's

G

I learned this from the hickory players over on WRX. You need to check it before you hit it even if it is pinned. The glue that they used in those days was basically a Elmer's wood glue and may have degraded over the years and the head may fly off and or the shaft split from being loose. The shafts were sealed way back when but the sealer was not as good as what we have now. Modern epoxy and modern sealants will do the trick. One of the reasons I have not pursued the hickory route. They have hickory tournaments but the conforming lists of approved clubs is worse than the USGA's

Thanks for this. A few years back I regripped my Uncles Driver and 3Wood that were from the 60's and was going to play 18 with old technology. Since I can't break 85 yet I still haven't fulfilled that.

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

PING G425 MAX 5 Wood

PING G30 5-PW

EVNROLL ER-3

Thanks for this. A few years back I regripped my Uncles Driver and 3Wood that were from the 60's and was going to play 18 with old technology. Since I can't break 85 yet I still haven't fulfilled that.

WTH? try it any how you may surprise yourself with the older equipment. I will give you a suggestion though. With the older persimmon stuff move up at least one tee box from your normal. With modern stuff I usually still play the mid tees 6700 to 6900 at sea level. With vintage stuff I play the forward tees 6200 6500 at sea level. Now if you learn to strike the older smaller persimmon woods in the face then doing it with a modern big headed driver is a breeze. If I practice or even warm up before playing I warm up with an older blade iron and persimmon driver. It helps me with my feel and ball striking. I try to play strictly vintage golf on Sunday afternoons after my church and home duties. It is getting summer here and my "NY Boys" as I call them are headed back up there and the other group will be traveling around the state playing CGA events I will have limited groups to play with so I will be playing vintage a lot in the afternoons this year. Now if it gets hot and dry this summer I do get a lot of roll out with the persimmons and I will step back to the mid tees. For me it is fun

G

I would love to try it, if I'm bored on one of my alone rounds, I may try it. It does sound fun!

Thanks for the tips!!!

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

PING G425 MAX 5 Wood

PING G30 5-PW

EVNROLL ER-3

• 1 month later...

Used to have this Kenneth Smith 2 wood, I used it up until it exploded on me  :D

myNdKSbvPtYV_y7uEqLc9Lg.jpg

Have some other old clubs, I will see if I can dig them out this weekend and take some pics.

:taylormade-small: SLDR 10.5 Oban HB

:taylormade-small: R11s Rip Phenom

:Hogan: Ft. Worth Black Irons

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54

:cleveland-small: CG10 58

:EVNROLL: EV 5.3 Duo

Used to have this Kenneth Smith 2 wood, I used it up until it exploded on me :D

myNdKSbvPtYV_y7uEqLc9Lg.jpg

Have some other old clubs, I will see if I can dig them out this weekend and take some pics.

Beautiful. Dang it! Now I am looking at he Cobra "Persimmon" again!

- Alan

Bunch of new members! Have any vintage clubs to show off?

Come on BIGSTU I know you found something new!!

Yeah I have since I last posted. Found 2 Hickory shafted Mashie Niblicks in the yard in decent shape and the original leather grips were on them in pretty decent shape. I did a Coke soak for 24 hrs and found out one was actually a Macgregor!! Imagine that? My wife said that old Macgregor clubs always find me somehow. Got to digging around in the building across the road and found a Kroyden Rough iron steel shafted which is about the loft of a vintage Mac 5 iron. I have had that thing for years and I remembered that I used that club back in the day in 1 club money matches. LOL the evidence was there in a rotted Crown Cord grip. Also found a Calamity Jane type Kroyden steel shafted putter. Man I am having computer problems so I can not post pics

G

Archived