Forum Org Change: Reviews Read more... ×
hckymeyer

Official Forum Member Review - Hogan Equalizer Wedges

93/100 was the lowest overall score and was there anything less than 20/20 for the bag it score?

If the most wanted is done off of mats, does the sole of the club matter? A super thin sole with no bounce can’t dig in to a hitting mat, but could be a nightmare out in some sloppy real world situations. Someone just recently posted how they are a +4 on the range and it all goes to hell on the course. Maybe range mats have something to do with that?
Disclaimer: I’m a bit of a Hogan homer, so I was a bit baffled after seeing the most wanted results, especially after seeing the glowing reviews here.

How close does the order of the rankings repeat if you did a new testing next week? Even with the same people?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
Interesting thoughts. It is possible, I suppose... Though... As I understand it, the testing is designed to reduce (of course, bit cannot completely eliminate) subjectivity and bias.

That said - one thing I noticed right away is the Hogans have a firmer feel and seem to give off a slightly louder click when hit .. compared to the Callaway wedges I've been playing for awhile (eg. possibly made of a somewhat firmer metal composition?).

So thinking along those lines maybe it's possible that some of the testers may have felt something similar .. and since sound & feel are a big part of a reaction to any club .. it may have influenced the' perception of the Equalizers..??

So thinking along those lines maybe it's possible that some of the testers may have felt something similar .. and since sound & feel are a big part of a reaction to any club .. it may have influenced the' perception of the Equalizers..??

Interesting thoughts. It is possible that the players may have a reaction to the clubs sound or look. I know I try and avoid that bias and just try to accomplish the task the best I can. My approach for the wedge testing was to try and make the same swing with every club.

Full shot was the basic full swing.

40 yard: warmed up to figure out what swing was needed to hit the shot and just try to repeat. For me it was a moderate paced 9-3 length swing with fairly narrow stance

15 yard: was half open face, narrow chipping type stance, club back to parallel to the ground.

The hard part is maintaining that over the 100+ swings during a wedge testing session especially if you don’t hit the first one or two shots to the hole with a particular club.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PokeForeLyfe said:

PGA Tour courses. emoji23.png

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I'm glad that this was about the picture I posted or I would have had to look back to see what this was about lol.

On 12/6/2018 at 6:07 PM, cksurfdude said:

IMG_20181206_140057358_BURST000_COVER_TOP.thumb.jpeg.9c76764eefe891be9dbf1f57dec79aec.jpeg

Hello Handsome!!!

Yep - these shiny new bad boys showed up today. I usually don't dwell on club aesthetics but I think these look pretty good!

IMG_20181206_140120259_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpeg.54d1f498242f1c1435edaee4e2a8bd4a.jpeg

Paired with blacked-out Recoils...

IMG_20181206_140346216_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpeg.a66e34fb474e6068b336c27019c22fe9.jpeg

..and Lamkin Z5s...

IMG_20181206_140307943.jpeg.39a7d297ca2f2d61e2ee825c3942b639.jpeg

Then I took them into the garage practice chipping "range" and gave them their first go - I think the V-Sole is really going help me, as I have a tendency to come in steep.

IMG_20181206_140641654.jpeg.6485b7c59d245f9209ab6bef034d453e.jpeg

Of course _actual_ playing characteristics TBD!

Did you game these yet or was the range session it? If you did first impressions??

• Like 1

Did you game these yet or was the range session it? If you did first impressions??
Hey, no only indoor garage practice "range" so far. Game time is gonna be iffy for me with the temps and winds we've been having...

There is one outdoor range not too far away that has 50, 75 and 100 yard markers (and wind screens separating each stall and heating pipes!) so I have to get over there soon with both sets of wedges.

But first impressions are positive!

One of the first things I noticed .. as mentioned in an earlier post above .. is these feel a bit firmer off the face to me vs the different Callaway wedges I've been playing for the past several seasons. Possibly the metal composition used? Also the sound when hit seems to be a bit louder.

These are not negatives .. the Equalizers just have a different feel, but one that I think I'm going to quickly come to like.

Also, I think the V-Sole is going to help me as I have a tendency to come in steep on the ball sometimes and dig too much; but that obviously has to wait until actually playing on turf to determine - possibly in February when we have a trip planned.

But so far just chipping and pitching in the garage I'm thinking these are going to be good for my game by helping me learn to control the ball on different kinds of short approach and greenside shots!
  • Like 2