hckymeyer

2018 Official Forum Member Review - Hogan Equalizer Wedges

First and foremost I'd like to thank the Ben Hogan company and My Golf Spy for this opportunity. I know most reviews start this way, but it's true for myself and others that this phenomenal opportunity wouldn't happen without them. MGS is a great place and I'm glad that I found it.

attachicon.gifme.jpg

Well done partner and we're glad you found it too!  Looking forward to Stage 2

• Like 1

This is very exciting to be able to review an iconic brand and their new entry into to world of wedges. First I want to thank MGS and Ben Hogan for giving us all this opportunity. I have had the opportunity to review other Hogan products and they did not disappoint. Before we get into the good stuff I would like to tell you a little about myself. What better way to start then a quick WITB that I know all real Spies want to see

attachicon.gifIMG_3640.JPG

Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5 Set to 7.9 with a Speeder Pro 73X tipped 1.5” playing 44.25”

3 Wood: Ping G400 13.5 with Accra FX370 M5 tipped 1.25” plays 42.75”

Irons: Cobra King Pro Satin 3-P in 4* loft increments and Modus 130X shafts

Wedges: Cleveland RTX-3 50,54,60 with Modus 130X/S shaft

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Buttonback custom deep milled and gold finish with a P2 Aware Tour grip at 34.5”

So first off let me tell you a little bit about me and my game. I am a scratch golfer and I play 6-8 times per month and also practice 2-3 days per week. I play all types of courses in the San Diego area. I played one year of college golf before deciding that college just wasn't for me. I tried some small mini tours and did well until I got injured. Now I play competitive golf now on the Veterans Golf Association Tour as well as SCGA events. I am currently prepping to try out for the All Navy Golf Team Tryouts in mid-July.

attachicon.gifImage1528170723.915578.jpg

Wedges are very important to my game and play a large part into my scoring. I hit the ball very long and usually have wedges into most Par 4's. I struggle around the greens with touch and nerves. I tend to hit shots fat or thin more often than I hit then solid. My scores rely on good wedge play. Although with lots of practice over the last couple months my chipping has dramatically improved.

attachicon.gifIMG_3641.JPG

Now let's talk about the iconic brand that is the Ben Hogan Company. I have always had an affinity for the brand. I played Hogan Apex blades in High School and loved that classic looks and great forged feel. I was lucky enough to get my hands on a set of prototype Hogan FTX irons which were one of the first combo iron sets. When the Hogan Company started to decline it put a hole in my heart. It hurt me to see a company that was classic and timeless like the companies name sake fall out of the market. When the returned a few years ago I was lucky enough to be selected to test the Hogan VKTR hybrid and I was again impressed with the clean look and solid feel. I briefly played the Hogan FT Worth irons early this year while I was waiting for my new irons to arrive and had I not had a custom fitted and ordered irons arriving they would have stayed in the bag.

When the opportunity to test these new Equalizer wedges arose I was very excited. And then when I found out that I had been selected I was giddy like a school girl on the inside. I don't apply to test everything that MGS has I only test the things I actually think I would use and that fit my skill levels. When they arrived at my house I was so excited.

attachicon.gifImage1528170810.125677.jpg

When I got home I cut that box open so fast I almost forgot to take pics.

attachicon.gifImage1528170835.746243.jpg

Lets just take this easy to start and talk about hoe great these look. The have a classic shape and design with just a little modern touch.

attachicon.gifImage1528170858.846556.jpg

attachicon.gifImage1528170879.554329.jpg

attachicon.gifImage1528170899.109805.jpg

attachicon.gifImage1528170918.498505.jpg

attachicon.gifImage1528170929.855534.jpg

KC what a great job in your intro/stage 1 post!   I envy you guys who have great golf games and can make those wedges put magic action on the ball.  Looking forward to your stage 2!

• Like 2

KC what a great job in your intro/stage 1 post! I envy you guys who have great golf games and can make those wedges put magic action on the ball. Looking forward to your stage 2!

Thank you this has been a very fun review.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

My initial cut at Stage 2 is up for your reading pleasure!

That is a ton of 1-putts..

So are you kind of just missing the greens a lot with your second shot, and then using the laser beams, errr, the Hogan's, to cozy up tight for a bunch of kick ins, or are you an extraordinary putter draining 10 to 20 footers all day?

Must have an Evnroll eh? Hehe

But, something fantastic is going on there with those wedges. How old were your old wedges?

On your chipping test from 40, did you hit all 10 with old wedges first, then immediately throw 10 with the new wedge? Could it be that you kinda got “warmed up” to the distance on the first 10, so maybe the second 10 got an unfair advantage.

If you're so inclined, I'd be curious to see doing the opposite order, or better yet, rotate shots every ball, and use something like a green dot on all the balls from the new wedge, or something like that to ID the balls.

Congrats on the “hardware” , sounds like you guys got er done!

• Like 2

That is a ton of 1-putts..

So are you kind of just missing the greens a lot with your second shot, and then using the laser beams, errr, the Hogan's, to cozy up tight for a bunch of kick ins, or are you an extraordinary putter draining 10 to 20 footers all day?

Must have an Evnroll eh? Hehe

But, something fantastic is going on there with those wedges. How old were your old wedges?

On your chipping test from 40, did you hit all 10 with old wedges first, then immediately throw 10 with the new wedge? Could it be that you kinda got “warmed up” to the distance on the first 10, so maybe the second 10 got an unfair advantage.

If you're so inclined, I'd be curious to see doing the opposite order, or better yet, rotate shots every ball, and use something like a green dot on all the balls from the new wedge, or something like that to ID the balls.

Congrats on the “hardware” , sounds like you guys got er done!

Two great questions. First regarding the 40 yard wedge tests, I actually warmed up first, took swings with all the wedges (new and old) and then went into the test. The shag bag is all range balls, and I suppose I could go out and mark 10 and alternate wedges... I actually may try that next time out there.

For better or worse I will play one more round this weekend then will be off the course with SWMBO for the next week... no golf for at least two weeks.

The old wedges are from 2015, so not that old (there is no worn spot on the center of the face) but the grooves may be a bit the worse for wear. Moreover, I think the significant difference in the V-sole between the old TK wedges and the new Equalizer wedges is a significant part of those results. Much more forgiving but still very workable.

Regarding Greens in Regulation, I will have to review my longer iron approach results and get back with you.

Thanks for you the questions. More work to do... just wish work wouldn't get in the way of my golf game!!!

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 5

Better late than never. Right GolfJunkie?

attachicon.gifIMG_8397.PNG

https://twitter.com/bhgolfequipment/status/1011938308321050624?s=21

That's a very clever ad if you asked me. One of the best I've seen for lefties.

Man, those guys waited until just after the reviews began!

Sent from my SM-T580 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

my stage 2 is up folks. If there are any new questions feel free to ask. I also hope that this is up to the standards of the others who have been reviewers and the mods. I will adjust if needed I just need to know what or where I messed up. Thanks for the opportunity again and I hope its not too long of a read.

• Like 3

@ddryan - nice review! Could you comment on the sole? Is it identical to the TK or is it different particularly in its turf interaction.

When I first got my SCORs it took me some time to adjust to that V-sole - I'm glad that I stuck with it because I have no intention to ever go back.

One less thing that I have to think about.

• Like 3

Good stuff gents. Took me a while to catch up.

• Like 2

ddryan,  Love the pics, and graphs.  They really help explain and tell your story.  noticing the different lengths of shots between the old and new, are you concerned? 

• Like 1

tommc23,   great read, and pics.  These clubs are nice looking.  I will be interested to hear your feelings of the clubs in a few months time.  Based on your playing time, which was the biggest game changer for you, that made you choose to keep the clubs in the bag?

• Like 2

tommc23, great read, and pics. These clubs are nice looking. I will be interested to hear your feelings of the clubs in a few months time. Based on your playing time, which was the biggest game changer for you, that made you choose to keep the clubs in the bag?

What made me want to keep these wedges in my bag is pretty much the fact that when I open the face up and do a flop shot I get a more consistent flop than I was with the Glides. That and I really really like the feel of forged clubs.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 2

What made me want to keep these wedges in my bag is pretty much the fact that when I open the face up and do a flop shot I get a more consistent flop than I was with the Glides. That and I really really like the feel of forged clubs.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I played Ping wedges prior to winning a set of SCORs in the Tour Staff contest here. After the Eye 2 I never had much success opening up the blade on any Ping.

It's easy as pie with a SCOR and I'm sure that's the case with the equalizer. I would love to hear about the differences between it and the TK.

• Like 1