Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

2018 Official Forum Member Review - Hogan Equalizer Wedges

hckymeyer

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of the most amazing things I have experienced is the feel around the greens and front the bunker my short game has really improved because of these Equalizers

Sent from my SM-G960U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

"Obviously my iron play is incredible, and when I get going I can get hot, but this course just fits my eye. The shaping of the holes, and just a couple of the doglegs, I'm able to shape shots."

Bryson DeChambeau

In my  :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

:srixon-small: Z765 9.5 with Miyazaka Kaula Mizu 6 Stiff Shaft (TrueGolfFit Recommended!!!)

:cobra-small: F8 3-4 wood 16* Aldilla Blue 70 Stiff shaft

:taylormade-small: Rescue mid 2 iron 16*

:cobra-small: One Length Forged Tec 4-GW with AMT Black shafts

:cameron-small: Futura Phantom 2

:bridgestone-small:Tour B330 RX

Like Bass Fishing? Check out my one and only article!!!

https://www.bassresource.com/beginner/get-started-bass-fishing.html

On 9/28/2018 at 12:27 PM, GregB135 said:

How small of a gap do you need between your PW and first short wedge? Hogan can/will custom bend to make loft adjustments but once you get much less than 50 your are getting into the PW range of most standard sets or creating an inconsistent gap.

I want a 46° PW in the Equalizer rather than using the one that came with the set.

11 hours ago, JohnSmalls said:

Matt, I just checked on the Equalizers and they go down to 48 for both righties and lefties.  Not sure if this helps or not. 

They mustn't have had them in stock last week because when I looked, 50° was as low as they went.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

They mustn't have had them in stock last week because when I looked, 50° was as low as they went.
They do bend them if requested. You could potentially get them to have a 48 bent to 47 which is close to the 46 you want.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

They can bend them 2°, so getting it to 46° wouldn't be an issue. The TK wedges were/are available in 46° so I wonder why the Equalizers aren't.

In the bag:
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Bag: 

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Right guys it's been 4 months of solid use, how are the wedges holding up? Any major damage or wear? 🤔😎

In my :titleist-small: cart Bag:

Driver:    :cobra-small: King F9 9° - LH - Atmos Blue TS 6 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
               :srixon-small: Z U85 2 Iron
Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron AMT White S300
  :titelist-small: T100S - LH - 3-48* - AMT White S300
Wedges:               Indi FLX- LH - 52° 56° 60° - True Temper Spinner Wedge shafts
Putter:    :rife-putters-1: 2 Bar Hybrid
Ball:        :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Testing: Haywood CB/MB Combo Iron Set, 4-7 Cavity backs, 8-PW Muscle Backs, True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Stiff, 2 Degrees stronger lofts.

Tracked By: :Arccos:

Follow me on Twitter @ham12_hampton and on Instagram @Nunfa0 

Mine still look great even hitting them of concrete

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Ping G410 LST 10.5 set -1* Flat Accra TZ5 65 M5

Callaway Epic Flash 15* set -1 Aldila ATX Blue 75TX

Ben Hogan FT Worth Hi 19* KBS Tour V X

Ben Hogan PTX Pro 4-P KBS Tour V X 2* Flat 4* loft increments

Hogan Equalizer 50* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 X 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 56* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 62* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

EVNROLL ER7 P2 Aware Tour
Scotty Cameron Newport2 Buttonback P2 Aware Tour Grip
Snell MTB-X

Mine still look great even hitting them of concrete

I have a small nick from the concrete but not much. Look great still but still not a huge fan of the shafts. I wish they had dynamic gold when we got these

6 hours ago, MattF said:

They can bend them 2°, so getting it to 46° wouldn't be an issue. The TK wedges were/are available in 46° so I wonder why the Equalizers aren't.

You'll also want to pay attention to shaft length. Depending on the makeup of you iron set the wedge shaft will likely wind up being 1/4 to 1/2 inch shorter than the pitching wedge shaft. Based on the shaft specs for the PTx irons, for example, the Equalizer wedge shaft would be 1/4 inch shorter than the full set PW shaft. 

Driver:  :PXG: 311XF Gen5, Tensei CK Pro Orange, S flex

Fariway:  :PXG: 311XF Gen6 3-Wood, Tensei Blue 55g R flex

Hybrid:   :PXG: 211, 3H Project X Evenflow H, 80g, 5.5

:titleist-small: TSR2 4H, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester)

Irons:  :titleist-small: T200 2023, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester), 5-GW

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: CBX2 Zipcore  52*, 56* Project X Catalyst Spinner Graphite Shaft

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2 Murdered Out

I'm a shortarse so I play shorter length anyway.

In the bag:

Bag: 

It's unfortunate to say but the 52° is coming out of the bag. Two rounds in a row with unpredictable shot height and weird feeling loading of the shaft. The 50° from my Wishon set will be going back it especially since the DG s300 are really working well for me in my irons with my increased speed.

That’s to bad. You could reshaft it. I haven’t had this issue so not sure what to tell you.

Snell MTB-X

That’s to bad. You could reshaft it. I haven’t had this issue so not sure what to tell you.

I've been thinking about doing that I have the ability to just have my club builder move the shaft from my 50 to the 52 but I don't really want to do that. It was weird hit a low bullet with the ball lined up for a high shot shot and it wasn't thinned or anything. It doesn't happen this bad in the 56 or 60 so I don't know what it is.

Kc it's funny that I was thinking about ditching the dg s300 when testing these wedges because I was not enjoying the loss of feel with them. Then all of a sudden swinging faster all the feel returned in the s300 and I got a weird loading issue with the KBS. I did notice on the 56 and 60 that they are a little whippier than before but no issues with the height like in the 52, probably because I have been taking less than full shots with them and taking mostly full shots with the 52.

So if the shaft is the issue, what would you change it out for? It do you just not like the wedge at all?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:cobra-small:             F7+ w/Fujikura Pro XLR8 Graphite Shaft

Ben_Hogan_Golf_Equipment_Company.jpg.b9602c912623c841ad9ad52593c15dee.jpg                3-I  MPF H-Series3B2M graphite Shaft w/Winn Dri-Tac grip mid

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png            STi   Irons 5-SW   KURO KAGE  70IR Flex-R  Lamkin Grips

:cobra-small:             King F6 Hybrid Matrix Red Tie HQ4 Graphite Shaft

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png           Forged FGT  60* wedge KURO KAGE 70R SS cross Comfort grip

:odyssey-small:           O-Putter 1W

So if the shaft is the issue, what would you change it out for? It do you just not like the wedge at all?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I would put a dynamic gold s300 in it like I have in my irons. I do like the wedge I was super happy with it for months until I changed my swing a little and now it's shaft issues no the head itself. I'll have to see if it's worth changing shafts or not. I was not getting along with my gap wedge in my iron set then got these and immediately got along with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I am sorry to say guys I sent the Equalizers away...Pings are back in the bag my wedge play is better but the feel around the greens is definitely not as good now but it was necessary to just cut bait on the wedges. I found them a great home and I didn't sell them just passed them on to another spy to try. I will be looking to probably get some Glide 2.0s or since these One length irons are working so well maybe going all in on one length wedges!!!

"Obviously my iron play is incredible, and when I get going I can get hot, but this course just fits my eye. The shaping of the holes, and just a couple of the doglegs, I'm able to shape shots."

Bryson DeChambeau

:srixon-small: Z765 9.5 with Miyazaka Kaula Mizu 6 Stiff Shaft (TrueGolfFit Recommended!!!)

Well I am sorry to say guys I sent the Equalizers away...Pings are back in the bag my wedge play is better but the feel around the greens is definitely not as good now but it was necessary to just cut bait on the wedges. I found them a great home and I didn't sell them just passed them on to another spy to try. I will be looking to probably get some Glide 2.0s or since these One length irons are working so well maybe going all in on one length wedges!!! 

That makes sense, I fell out of love with my 52. I don’t like the head shape compared to the TK, I feel like they went 400 series vokey on them and rounded them too much for my liking. I had kept an open mind this season A because I loved my Ft. Worth’s and B the price was so fair I thought the value was there and worth a shot.

Next season will likely be RTX4 for me.

As far as the KBS shafts go...I have been converted. I was always a DG guy, explicitly for 29 years.

I pulled the wedge shaft from my TK and added a Hi-Rev to get the length correct and it’s a dime. Love it.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P, follow along!

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

That’s too bad. I still really like mine. I played with my buddy that I have played with for 12 years yesterday and he said “wow I have never seen your short game and chipping this good” I have really dialed in these wedges and I have a ton of confidence. In the last 2 rounds I have got up and down 11 of 12 times this includes chips for eagle on par 5s and making birdies.

Snell MTB-X

That’s too bad. I still really like mine. I played with my buddy that I have played with for 12 years yesterday and he said “wow I have never seen your short game and chipping this good” I have really dialed in these wedges and I have a ton of confidence. In the last 2 rounds I have got up and down 11 of 12 times this includes chips for eagle on par 5s and making birdies.

That is awesome!! Stick with what works and work it!

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P, follow along!

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Was it the v-sole. I have read mixed reviews.

I think it has to be the vsole they worked so well in the beginning though but maybe since here in Florida the conditions change to soft this time of year and that caused some problems

Bryson DeChambeau

On 10/23/2018 at 3:50 PM, GeekingGolf said:

So you felt that your short game was better but you were sacrificing too much in the full shots?

Wedges:               Indi FLX- LH - 52° 56° 60° - True Temper Spinner Wedge shafts

Testing: Haywood CB/MB Combo Iron Set, 4-7 Cavity backs, 8-PW Muscle Backs, True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Stiff, 2 Degrees stronger lofts.

3 hours ago, Nunfa0 said:

So you felt that your short game was better but you were sacrificing too much in the full shots?

Exactly...my touch around the green was great probably due to the wedges being forged. My shots from the fairway and rough were not good at all. Once the courses got a bit damp around here in Jacksonville my wedge game fell apart. I started chunking shots then hitting them thin (probably trying not to chunk them)...the v sole really digs for my swing. I wish there was something like my current Ping Glides 54 SS and 58 WS that would work the same from the fairway but forged to give me more feel around the greens. 

Bryson DeChambeau

3 hours ago, GeekingGolf said:

Exactly...my touch around the green was great probably due to the wedges being forged. My shots from the fairway and rough were not good at all. Once the courses got a bit damp around here in Jacksonville my wedge game fell apart. I started chunking shots then hitting them thin (probably trying not to chunk them)...the v sole really digs for my swing. I wish there was something like my current Ping Glides 54 SS and 58 WS that would work the same from the fairway but forged to give me more feel around the greens. 

Hmmm sounds like the forged Ping wedges will work nicely for you 😁😎

On 10/24/2018 at 8:45 PM, Nunfa0 said:

Hmmm sounds like the forged Ping wedges will work nicely for you 😁😎

Not with my budget...maybe some MD3 forged or Ping Glide 2.0 but Ping Forged out of the question cost too much

Bryson DeChambeau

• 4 weeks later...

Ooh, they've just release black Equalizers.
Given how much I love the Ft Worth Blacks and their constant 4* gaps, I might just have to trade my current wedges for a 50/54/58 set...

Self taught golfer trying hard to improve his game. Started playing early summer 2016.

Instagram @makingscratch : https://www.instagram.com/makingscratch/

Twitter @makingscratchUK : https://twitter.com/makingscratchuk

WITB:

• Driver : Ping G400 - Tour65 Stiff 44"
  • Fairway : Taylormade Burner 2.0 15deg - Reax-R
  • Hybrid : Taylormade M2 22deg - Flex-R
  • Irons : 4-6 Srixon Z765, 7-PW Srixon Z965 - Nippon Modus 105 S
  • Wedges
    • 52deg Cleveland CG15
    • 56deg Vokey SM5 F-Grind - Nippon ProModus 130 TX
    • 60deg Miura K-Grind - TT DG Spinner
  • Putter : Evnroll ER2
  • Ball : Vice Pro Plus

Proud owner of a slowly approaching complete archive of Titleist's blades circa 2000-2014 and a Wilson FatShaft CI10 blade putter in perfect condition (seriously, try Googling it and look at the state of the few that show up) which I bought when at college and just happens to look like it's stamped with my daughter's name, born 14 years after I bought it...

2 hours ago, Jon Brittan said:

Ooh, they've just release black Equalizers.
Given how much I love the Ft Worth Blacks and their constant 4* gaps, I might just have to trade my current wedges for a 50/54/58 set...

Except they're not doing Dynamic Gold shafts, it seems... I've emailed them 🙂

Self taught golfer trying hard to improve his game. Started playing early summer 2016.

Instagram @makingscratch : https://www.instagram.com/makingscratch/

Twitter @makingscratchUK : https://twitter.com/makingscratchuk

WITB:

• Driver : Ping G400 - Tour65 Stiff 44"
  • Fairway : Taylormade Burner 2.0 15deg - Reax-R
  • Hybrid : Taylormade M2 22deg - Flex-R
  • Irons : 4-6 Srixon Z765, 7-PW Srixon Z965 - Nippon Modus 105 S
  • Wedges
    • 52deg Cleveland CG15
    • 56deg Vokey SM5 F-Grind - Nippon ProModus 130 TX
    • 60deg Miura K-Grind - TT DG Spinner
  • Putter : Evnroll ER2
  • Ball : Vice Pro Plus

Proud owner of a slowly approaching complete archive of Titleist's blades circa 2000-2014 and a Wilson FatShaft CI10 blade putter in perfect condition (seriously, try Googling it and look at the state of the few that show up) which I bought when at college and just happens to look like it's stamped with my daughter's name, born 14 years after I bought it...

Archived