5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is very exciting to be able to review an iconic brand and their new entry into to world of wedges. First I want to thank MGS and Ben Hogan for giving us all this opportunity. I have had the opportunity to review other Hogan products and they did not disappoint. Before we get into the good stuff I would like to tell you a little about myself. What better way to start then a quick WITB that I know all real Spies want to see

IMG_3640.JPG

Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5 Set to 7.9 with a Speeder Pro 73X tipped 1.5” playing 44.25”

3 Wood: Ping G400 13.5 with Accra FX370 M5 tipped 1.25” plays 42.75”

Irons: Cobra King Pro Satin 3-P in 4* loft increments and Modus 130X shafts

Wedges: Cleveland RTX-3 50,54,60 with Modus 130X/S shaft

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Buttonback custom deep milled and gold finish with a P2 Aware Tour grip at 34.5”

So first off let me tell you a little bit about me and my game. I am a scratch golfer and I play 6-8 times per month and also practice 2-3 days per week. I play all types of courses in the San Diego area. I played one year of college golf before deciding that college just wasn't for me. I tried some small mini tours and did well until I got injured. Now I play competitive golf now on the Veterans Golf Association Tour as well as SCGA events. I am currently prepping to try out for the All Navy Golf Team Tryouts in mid-July.

Image1528170723.915578.jpg

Wedges are very important to my game and play a large part into my scoring. I hit the ball very long and usually have wedges into most Par 4's. I struggle around the greens with touch and nerves. I tend to hit shots fat or thin more often than I hit then solid. My scores rely on good wedge play. Although with lots of practice over the last couple months my chipping has dramatically improved.

IMG_3641.JPG

Now let's talk about the iconic brand that is the Ben Hogan Company. I have always had an affinity for the brand. I played Hogan Apex blades in High School and loved that classic looks and great forged feel. I was lucky enough to get my hands on a set of prototype Hogan FTX irons which were one of the first combo iron sets. When the Hogan Company started to decline it put a hole in my heart. It hurt me to see a company that was classic and timeless like the companies name sake fall out of the market. When the returned a few years ago I was lucky enough to be selected to test the Hogan VKTR hybrid and I was again impressed with the clean look and solid feel. I briefly played the Hogan FT Worth irons early this year while I was waiting for my new irons to arrive and had I not had a custom fitted and ordered irons arriving they would have stayed in the bag.

When the opportunity to test these new Equalizer wedges arose I was very excited. And then when I found out that I had been selected I was giddy like a school girl on the inside. I don't apply to test everything that MGS has I only test the things I actually think I would use and that fit my skill levels. When they arrived at my house I was so excited.

Image1528170810.125677.jpg

When I got home I cut that box open so fast I almost forgot to take pics.

Image1528170835.746243.jpg

Lets just take this easy to start and talk about hoe great these look. The have a classic shape and design with just a little modern touch.

Image1528170858.846556.jpg

Image1528170879.554329.jpg

Image1528170899.109805.jpg

Image1528170918.498505.jpg

Image1528170929.855534.jpg

Ping G410 LST 10.5 set -1* Flat Accra TZ5 65 M5

Callaway Epic Flash 15* set -1 Aldila ATX Blue 75TX

Ben Hogan FT Worth Hi 19* KBS Tour V X

Ben Hogan PTX Pro 4-P KBS Tour V X 2* Flat 4* loft increments

Hogan Equalizer 50* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 X 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 56* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 62* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

EVNROLL ER7 P2 Aware Tour
Scotty Cameron Newport2 Buttonback P2 Aware Tour Grip
Snell MTB-X

This has been one of the more fun reviews that have been lucky enough to do. I have been a fan of the Hogan Brand for a very long time. I played the Hogan FTX irons for several years. I was saddened when the Hogan brand announced it was shutting down. When it reopened I was so happy. When the new line came out I was also lucky and got to test the Hogan VKTR hybrids which were the first hybrid I had ever hit that I had confidence in, aside from the whistle haha. If you have been around MGS and remember those reviews you should remember the whistle.

IMG_3649.JPG

Let's start with some of the disappointing things for me that had me questioning the wedges before I even received them. The shaft choices were less than exciting for me. My previous wedges had Modus 130X/S shafts and when all I could get were 120X and 110S I was scrambling to get an extra shaft set just in case. Hogan has since addressed this issue and added Dynamic Gold Standard shafts as an option. I would really like to see a few more shaft options even if I had to pay a little more. The second thing I was concerned about were the fact there were not any grind options. I have been fitted by Mr. Vokey himself and he opened my eyes to the effects of grinds and bounce. Of course after I received the wedges and put them to work that concern vanished immediately.

Image1531454180.790629.jpg

Looks 9/10

Easily one of the best looking wedges I have seen. The shape and detailing are beautiful. The only thing looks wise I would have liked to see was more grooves. They have 3 grooves less than the SM7's. It's not a performance issue but looking down and seeing a few more grooves made me feel more confident.

Image1531454205.074968.jpg

Sound and Feel 9/10

The sound is a firmer clicky sound than what I am used too. The feel is also slightly hard off the face. Although as I continued to test them I no longer noticed that feeling as it felt normal. This also could have been because the initial shots I hit were with range balls. Once I used my gamer golf ball I didn't notice this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&feature=youtu.be&v=ncqMm6aK9vw&app=desktop

Range Performance 18/20

On the range I was able to get very consistent distance and trajectory. It was on the range I noticed a lower ball flight with the Equalizers compared to my RTX-3 gamers. I also seemed to get a little more distance due to the more penetrating flight. I worked hard on the range playing with ball flight. I also used a short game practice area to get a feel for these wedges.

On The Course 39/40

As most of you I am in the process of trying to qualify for the All Navy Golf Team, US Mid Am and VGA Championships so the on course performance was the most important factor for me. I need a wedge to do what I am expecting to do on every shot and never have a doubt. When doubt creeps in its very tough to hit a quality golf shot. These wedges did everything I ever wanted and I could never blame my shot on the wedge not performing. I did take some adjusting to the increased distance I was not getting but never did that cost me any shots on the course. I holed bunker shots, chip shots and even from the fairway. These are the most consistent wedges I have ever had in my bag.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6rconNfOoU&feature=youtu.be

Bag them or Tag them 20/20

It took all of 3 practice sessions and 1 round before the Cleveland RTX-3 wedges got the boot. I hit them side by side on the course and range and they just didn't stand a chance. Once I got used to the feel and sound there was nothing that was going to keep these out of the bag. My friends and coach are all impressed with the improvement in my wedge game since making the change. My Coach even asked me when we were going to work on more than just my swing and dial in my short game. I told him lets go play after the first three holes he said “nevermind you're good, I have never seen you chip this well!” This weekend I used the Hogan Equalizer wedges to win the Veterans Golfers Assosiation California Championship at La Costa Champions course by 3 shots. My wedge game was definitely the reason for the win. Next week I start my All Navy Tryouts and these wedges will be in the bag because I have 100% confidence these are the best wedges I could have in my bag.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUndKO-NcI4&feature=youtu.be

Final Score 95/100 must have!!!

Ping G410 LST 10.5 set -1* Flat Accra TZ5 65 M5

Callaway Epic Flash 15* set -1 Aldila ATX Blue 75TX

Ben Hogan FT Worth Hi 19* KBS Tour V X

Ben Hogan PTX Pro 4-P KBS Tour V X 2* Flat 4* loft increments

Hogan Equalizer 50* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 X 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 56* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 62* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

EVNROLL ER7 P2 Aware Tour
Scotty Cameron Newport2 Buttonback P2 Aware Tour Grip
Snell MTB-X

They're Here!!!  A big THANK YOU to MGS, and to the Ben Hogan Golf Equipment Company for giving me the opportunity to test this equipment- I am beyond excited, and I hope to provide some insight, some feedback, and an impartial evaluation of the Equalizer Wedges.

My Hogan Equalizer wedges arrived Wednesday May 16th – actually the 15th, but I did not get home until after 10 pm, and needed to be at work this morning at 0600, so I waited until after dinner this evening to do the reveal!   Here they are!

IMG_1471A.jpg

IMG_1480a.jpg

Specs are as follows – 52° bent to 53°; 56° bent to 57°, and 60°r as is.  All three have KBS Tour V 110 S shafts, normal grips standard lie. 

Why did I ask for the modifications?  Simple- I currently game Hogan TK wedges, 53° and 57° with the same shaft.  This will be a true test of the TK versus the Equalizer in technology, look, feel and performance.

IMG_1481A.jpg

Before we dive into the full reveal, and the comparison testing, a bit about me.  I am a left handed person who plays golf right handed.  Why?  Because when my dad taught me, he was right handed, so the pro from his club, Mr. Harlan Will, took an old 7 iron from one of my dad's golf sets, cut it down and re-gripped it for me, and there you go- I was swinging a 7 iron at 7 years old!  Of course, I did not take up golf passionately until much later, but that is where I caught the bug! 

I play golf in the Northern Virginia area, as a member of a club which consists primarily of  military officers and their families.  We have two wonderful facilities, each with 27 holes, so there is lots of golf to be had.   I have had the opportunity to travel with some of our members over the years, and have played in Scotland, the Dominican Republic, Germany, many places here in the States.  We are looking at possibilities for a trip to Portugal or Spain next year- we shall see…

My handicap bounces between 10 and 14, although I have achieved that “single digit” index once (9.5) for a short period of time a few years ago.  I think I could be more consistent if I spent more time on the range, but I am still working for a living, and have a variety of other interests which take me away from the course.

Through my golfing years I have had many sets of clubs.  I currently have four full sets.  The first,  my father's old set of 1960's Wilson Dyna-Powered blades are about as small as any I have ever seen, and look almost “toy-like” compared to today's clubs… I don't play them- they need to be re-gripped and I would like to put the original leather back on them to keep them period correct; but that is costly, and makes them less playable in poor weather. So they sit in a bag in the garage waiting for me to figure out what I am going to do with them…

The second set is Hogan Apex Edge Pro forged irons from the early 2000's.  I think they came out in 2003, and they are beautiful clubs, cavity backed forged irons that provide tremendous feel and wonderful control.   This is where my love and respect of the Hogan brand began.  I played them for about 10 years, until leaps in technology just drove me to something different- and I ended up with TaylorMade Burner 2.0 Irons.

The TM Burner 2.0's are solid sticks that go where you aim them.  The drawback for me was that they were straight, and very difficult to play a draw, much less a fade.  There is very little feel in them, and because I was not getting feedback from missed shots I was not getting any better.  I like to play a draw, and continue to work on my ability to fade the ball- it works with varying degrees of success. 

I was looking to get back to something that had some feel, and in 2016 I saw, and fell in love with the Hogan Ft Worth Irons.  WOW!!  What a beautiful set of irons- I tested them, loved them and bought a set second-hand from a high school golf coach. I played with them thru the summer of 2016.  My problem- I am not consistent enough, week over week, to do justice to those clubs.  They need to be hit consistently to score with those beauties -  I still ache about having to give them up, but they went to a great home (all but the wedges!!!) and I got a set of Titleist AP2 714's from the money I made selling the those Hogans.

I still carry a Hogan bag, have a black (although it looks pale grey, it is so old and faded) Hogan hat, and am a huge fan of Mr. Hogan and the legends surrounding his amazing career and that most famous of golf photos – Mr Hogan and his 1 Iron shot at Merion.  I grew up in suburban Philadelphia, and dreamed of playing Merion - with their red and white wicker baskets swaying in the wind instead of flags – what a place- replete with golf history and legend!  In that light, I would like to thank the Ben Hogan Golf Equipment Company for giving me this opportunity- to test the wedges, and provide unbiased feedback- and if it is in keeping with the traditions of Mr. Hogan and the the Hogan company- it will be good- and I will probably be ordering the Edge Irons next!!!

hogan_2592191c.jpg

Now, to the matter at hand.  The box arrived with the three wedges and a small pamphlet that speaks to the Ben Hogan Golf Equipment Company.  The pamphlet included two stickers, one the Ben Hogan Starburst, the other a black oval with the Ben Hogan logo in cursive writing – that may go on the truck…

I pulled them out of the box, took off the plastic from the clubhead and held one in my hand.  The club is very good looking indeed.  I was concerned from looking at photos that the crosshatch pattern on the back of the wedge would be distracting, but quite the contrary – they are very well made, the design is professional and not distracting at all. 

First thing I notice is weight- these are heavier feeling than my current TK wedges.   Comparing the clubs side by side there are several subtle differences in the design. 

The Equalizer club head is slightly larger- 1/8th of an inch larger than its cousin the TK – however this is only at the widest part of the toe of the club. 

IMG_1521a.jpg  TK Wedge

IMG_1535a.jpg   Equalizer Wedge

The length, hosel height and overall proportions of the clubs are the same.

The view at topline is almost identical- other than the wear on my older TK wedges, I could not tell the difference between the two at address.

IMG_1525a.jpg

Both the TK and the new Equalizers share Hogan's patented “V-SOLE” technology.  This is a Hogan innovation that the company describes as follows: “At the heart of every Hogan wedge is the renowned V-SOLE® design. For each loft, we blend a high-bounce front section with a low-bounce main portion, so your TK wedges can handle any lie or shot you might face.”   They continue: “Turf conditions are never consistent. Neither are golf swings. Even tour pros' divots are not always the same. And we all often change our swing path on purpose to hit different shots...So how could you ever expect one bounce to be right all the time? And how could you ever “fit” bounce at all?”

“Your lob wedge and gap wedge are as different as your 6-iron and hybrid. Why should they look alike?”  Great points indeed, and this is the Hogan attention to detail that, in my opinion, sets them apart.

So now we have an idea of what sets Hogan wedges apart from the competition.  What, however, sets the Equalizers apart from their older cousins the TK wedges?

The older TKs have a smaller margin of error on the leading edge, and a smaller bounce than their Equalizer relatives.

IMG_1519a.jpg  The Equalizer leading edge bounce

IMG_1518a.jpg  TK leading edge bounce

Following the Hogan explanation and a bit of analysis, I believe this means the Equalizers will be a bit more forgiving, with a larger margin of error than the TK wedges.  Proof, however will be in execution, and not my theoretical analysis.

So, the Equalizers will go in the bag this weekend, and I will test the Equalizers against the TK's, each from a set distance.  The Equalizers will earn a permanent place in my bag if they have the feel, stopping power and they perform as well or better than my TK's.   We shall see what happens…stay tuned.

What's in the bag?

Driver :callaway-small: Callaway Mavrik 105 set to 9.5, square, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60G Stiff shaft
#3 Wood  :callaway-small: Callaway FT Tour 13 degree neutral setup, Fuijkara 370 Stiff Shaft
Hybrid  :cobra-small:  18 Degree King Cobra Baffler pro, Baffler Stiff shaft
4-PW :titelist-small: Titlest 714 AP2, Standard loft and lie, MGS S Shafts
:benhogan-small: 53, 57 degree loft Hogan Equalizer wedges
1962  :wilson_staff_small: Wilson "Sandy Andy" sand wedge with HUGE bounce!
Putter MLA Pro Classic
:titelist-small: Titlist ProV 1, ProV 1x

Currently Gaming "Costco Kirkland Signature Tour Performance" balls

Hogan Equalizer Wedge Review, Stage 2

Ok, I have been itching to get these beauties out and put them side to side against my current wedges- also Hogan wedges, same loft and lie, same shafts- and see what happens.

First thing I did was to take them up to the range and put some full swings on them.  All three (52°, 56°, and 60°) feel solid in my hands.  I can feel where the ball hits the face and can see the scuff mark – very consistent in the center of the face.

IMG_1498a.jpg

Unfortunately not so much with my TK wedges

IMG_1497a.jpg

Not sure if this is a function of a lack of quality in my swing, or the more forgiving bounce the Equalizers have.  I am going to guess it is a combination of the two!

After some time taking full swings, I move to our short game practice area.  We are lucky enough to have an area next to the range with a green and two pins used for pitching, chipping and sand work. 

IMG_1490a.jpg

I decide the best way to compare the Equalizers with the TKs is to have a “chip-off” – hitting ten balls from the same distance, with the same club, and seeing what the result is, then clearing the green and repeating with the other club, and measuring the results.

First up I used my Hogan TK 57, from 40 yards, slightly up hill to the green.  I hit ten balls, and the results are here.  I hit two long of the green, one short of the green, and the rest in the pattern shown in the images below.  Distance from the ball to the hole was, on average 30 feet.

IMG_1499a.jpg

IMG_1500a.jpg

I cleared the green and attempted 10 more shots, this time with my new Hogan Equalizer 56 bent to 57.  The results were significant- so much so that when I showed my wife the photos, even she said that group was much better, and much tighter. 

IMG_1503a.jpg

IMG_1505a.jpg

The average distance from the ball to the hole was about 12 feet, and actually closer than that, but the one short ball and one thin ball threw off the average – as you can see by the images, 8 of the 10 balls were within 10 feet, and several well within 5 feet.  I was very happy with this result. 

The Hogan Equalizers feel solid in your hand, solid in when you strike the ball, and the results are superb.  I am going to be putting them in the bag this weekend and playing with the Equalizers instead of my TK's and seeing the results. 

To compare results on the course, I have ShotScope V2, which tracks each shot, distance and club, and I will then be able to compare rounds with the Equalizers versus with the TK's.  Proof will be in the game results, because there is no pressure on a driving range- a bit more when there is $$ at stake!!!

First round was on Saturday.  I shot an 82, playing off 15.  The wedges served me very well, positioning me for a total of four 1-putts (three of which were on the back 9, and a total of 15 putts on the back).  I felt very comfortable and very confident about my wedge game, and although I had not practiced shorter chips (just off the green to 15-25 yards), the Equalizers proved very effective, getting very close to holing out on two of those chips.

On Monday I played again, and again shot another 82, again playing off 15.  My Hogan Equalizer wedge play was even stronger on Monday, where I positioned myself to turn in a round of 31 putts, with a total of 10 1-putts.  Unfortunately a few unforced errors and 3 3 putts resulted such a high score.  Bottom line on both day's wedge play, it that far and away the Equalizers are outstanding clubs, and that they put my TK wedges to shame. 

One particular hole I found myself pin high, but about 30 yards off the green to the left.  There was a deep bunker with a high front lip protecting the green, and a very large Oak tree, with limbs and leaves hanging down, resulting in about a 30 foot window through which I could chip.  The landing area beyond the lip of the green ran away from me, so I truly shortsided myself, and any hope of keeping this ball on the green was going to be a true test of the wedge.  I visualized the shot, attempted to get the ball to land just beyond the lip of the green and hope that the ball would stay on the green.  The chip worked perfectly, the Equalizer 56° putting a very nice spin on the ball which resulted in the ball rolling only slightly past the pin for a comeback 8 foot bogey putt.  I took it and ran considering what might have been!

After downloading my past two rounds on ShotScope, an interesting pattern has emerged…

Graph 1.png

On this graph, my Hogan TK wedges were identified as GW (the 53°) and LW (the 57°).  My “up and down” percentage (meaning holing out in two shots or less) has jumped dramatically using my new Hogan Equalizer wedges – from about 25% with both of the TK wedges, to 50% with the 56° Equalizer and a remarkable 67% with the 52° Equalizer.   

Further analysis using my Shotscope showing the past 5 rounds (with my Equalizer wedges) versus last year and my TK wedges.  Past few rounds have all been in the low 80's (at or below my index) so that is a good thing.  Much of those scores can resolve to my putting -

Putting all.png

This graph shows my putting for all of 2018.

This graph shows a record of my putting over the past year, not terrible, but not great.

Since adding the Hogan Equalizers to the bag, looking at the last five rounds with ShotScope, I find the following:

putting last 5.png

This graph shows my putting for the last 5 rounds.  Note the significant increase in 1-putts (two putts staying stable) and significant reduction in three-putts. 

I chalk this up to the proximity I am obtaining with my Hogan Equalizers!

Now, for the real test.  Last week my brother and I played in our annual Member - Guest Tournament.  The Equalizers were in, and we did well- eventually winning our flight and coming away with a bit of hardware!! Thanks in part to the Hogan Golf Equipment Company and the fantastic Equalizer Wedges!

IMG_1541a.jpg

Now for the scoring:

Looks (9 out of 10)

I love the look of these wedges.  They have a great top end, leading edge and they sit very well in my hand.  I am used to a "blade like" look with my older TK wedges, and these are almost identical.

IMG_1489a.jpg

The club at top is my Equalizer 52, the bottom my old TK 53.  Love the look - exactly what I expect from a wedge.  So, why did I subtract a point - the back edge of the club head there is a small notch (see circled area) where the back line meets the back edge of  the club- it just looks a bit "unfinished" compared to the TK. 

IMG_1487a.jpg

Sound and Feel (8 out of 10)

These wedges are truly special- they are a player's club, with all the feedback and feeling that a better player expects, along with the forgiveness that a weekend golfer like me needs.  They sound crisp, with a nice click at contact, feel sharp throughout the face, and you know instantly when you hit it well.  Similarly, you know if you have miss-hit the ball, and generally know and understand why.  For example, I like to hit down on the ball (to compress it against the ground and get better spin).  I have had a few fluffy lies (summer rain has produced some fluffy rough) and when I hit it a bit high on the face I know it, and know that it will be short.  Not the club's fault, but my poor execution.  For me, this feedback is critical, as I learn and know what not to do next time.  One of my challenges playing Pete Dye courses is his penchant for domed greens- These wedges hold the greens nicely, even if I miss-hit it a bit.

Range Performance (18 out of 20)

In addition to the short range chipping contest I described above, I worked full swings on the driving range, using Trackman technology.  Unfortunately the Trackman data ended up getting corrupted when they sent it to me ( I wanted screenshots of distance, spin, etc) but bottom line is this - the Equalizer wedges were about 2-3 yards shorter than my TK wedges, and that may be a function of the newer grooves and more spin.

TK 53 degree - average 115 yards full swing

Equalizer 52 - average 112 yards full swing

grouping was tighter, according to Trackman, with the Equalizer

TK 57 degree - Average 95 yards full swing

Equalizer 56 - average 92 yards full swing

During both tests the Equalizers had a significantly higher trajectory than the TK wedges.  In fact, on a number of occasions, I lost the Equalizer ball in flight as I don't usually hit wedge shots that high!

I will be heading back to the range with impact tape in the near future and will provide some additional insight on the wedges regarding center, toe and heel shots, as well as a few images.

The Equalizers are superb feeling, and you can easily work the ball to the left (I personally struggle working it back to the right consistently (I play right handed and favor a draw) but with some concentration  I can produce a high cut, which is nice to have when needed.

On Course Performance (38 out of 40)

I think the on course performance speaks for itself.  My putting continues to improve, and I chalk most of that up to my approach shots.  I am getting the ball closer than I have in the past and Shotscope analysis indicates that my proximity to the hole using my Equalizers has increased significantly.

Since the Hogans have gone in the bag I have gone from a 14.7 index to a 10.9, and am trending to a 10.3.  Granted, it is not all the wedges, but I have the confidence to swing them and trust that they will get me close to where I am aiming.  This morning alone  I shot a 79, playing the back in +2, and carding three birdies for the day.  

Play it or Trade it (20 out of 20) 

There is no doubt that the Equalizers are staying in my bag.  That said, I need to provide a bit of clarification- I do not carry a 60 degree wedge.  I carry four wedges as it is, (sand wedge, pitching wedge, and the Equalier 52 and 56).  I don't have enough length to carry a club that I might use once or twice a round.  I did hit the 60 degree wedge on the range, and compared it to an old beryllium Hogan 60 degree wedge in an old bag.  The new Equalizer was much easier to hit, very consistent off the mat on the range, and I was able to get about 60 yards out of it.  So, the 60 will not be in the bag, but I would gladly trade it for a 48 degree Equalizer! 

The most difficult part of this wedge testing is the fact that I am a Hogan enthusiast, and love the quality, design and play-ability of their equipment.  So, here is the rub- I now desperately want the Hogan Edge irons- I love the looks, and if the quality, workmanship, performance, feel and value of the Equalizer wedges are any indication, then I will love the Edge Irons... I just cant afford to buy them right now.   I am strongly considering getting a few (5 iron, 8 iron and PW) thru the Hogan Demo program, but they are currently sold out-

Conclusion

Final score  (96 out of 100)

First of all, I want to thank My Golf Spy (big shout out toGolfSpy Rob and GolfSpy Rick for their help and guidance) for providing the opportunity to do this test- it was a blast, and made me think about some things I have not thought of in some time. 

Second I want to thank the Ben Hogan Golf Equipment Company for their willingness to support this testing- independent, non-biased, and by regular golfers, not paid players or spokespeople! -

The Hogan Equalizer wedges are everything that Mr. Hogan envisioned when he started his equipment company.  Highest quality standards, superior performance, and a driven, winning attitude is what these clubs are all about.  These Equalizer wedges are the real deal, and worth every bit of the $100 per club they are currently asking.  They are a great value for dollar, and are worth considerably more than the current asking price.

The Ben Hogan Golf Equipment Company provides a fantastic product, great customer service, and dedicated to the game at the purest level.  Thank you, MGS, and thank you Hogan Golf Equipment Company, for giving me this unique opportunity and incredible experience!!!

IMG_1512a.jpg

What's in the bag?

Driver :callaway-small: Callaway Mavrik 105 set to 9.5, square, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60G Stiff shaft
#3 Wood  :callaway-small: Callaway FT Tour 13 degree neutral setup, Fuijkara 370 Stiff Shaft
Hybrid  :cobra-small:  18 Degree King Cobra Baffler pro, Baffler Stiff shaft
4-PW :titelist-small: Titlest 714 AP2, Standard loft and lie, MGS S Shafts
:benhogan-small: 53, 57 degree loft Hogan Equalizer wedges
1962  :wilson_staff_small: Wilson "Sandy Andy" sand wedge with HUGE bounce!
Putter MLA Pro Classic
:titelist-small: Titlist ProV 1, ProV 1x

Currently Gaming "Costco Kirkland Signature Tour Performance" balls

First, I want to send out a big thank you to My Golf Spy and Ben Hogan Golf for allowing me to test these beautiful golf clubs. I look forward to providing the MGS community with an honest and thorough test. I am an Electronics Technician in the US Navy, been enlisted for just shy of 17 years. I am married and have 6 wonderfully wild children ages 11, 7, 6, 4, and twin 2 year old boys.

29684232_2115249918515649_9065940768027665296_n.jpg

29351845_2115259205181387_694002046806493332_o.jpg

The picture above is my awesome wife Lisa and I, then one with me and the kids on our road trip to Jacksonville. From left to right, Beckham, Briggs, Collins, Colston, Locklin, and Laiden. By the way, yes a 5 hour trip can take 8 hours.

29571006_2115248911849083_1761445570362539653_n.jpg

The last one is of our family dog, Kiser. My family life is really amazing, and I have a master plan to get on the golf course more often. I have just signed my 7 year old daughter and 6 year old son up for The First Tee Program. Looks like I will be on the course more and more as the years go by.  We just moved to Jacksonville so there are many amazing courses here that I will be playing on during my 2 year tour here.

My Golf Journey

I started playing golf when I was around 16 with my dad and younger brother. So I have been playing for about 25 years off and on. Last year, I got really serious about golf and finally got fitted for Ping irons and took a few lessons. My game finally started to trend down from my normal bogey golf to a 7.9 handicap. I really started playing good confident golf. I could shoot around 83 on any course I played during that time. I joined My Golf Spy around that time as well and became active in the forums. My Golf Spy has really changed my golf life and really opened my eyes to all things golf. The last half of 2017 didn't include a lot of golf due to some personal issues I went through later that year. Around March or so of this year, I decided to start playing again. I am currently playing at an 11.3 handicap. The main thing that I love about golf is the peace and quiet. Trust me when you have a big family like I do you can't wait for a few hours of peace and quiet. I also love the technology and would love to be employed in the golf industry when I retire from the military. My current bag is definitely influenced by the content and forums at MGS.

Geeking WITB

20180528_172233.jpg

20180528_172241.jpg

Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite (Thanks MGS for helping me pick this one!) I wanted a bag that I could use while walking that also was fully functional and would last many seasons. I have made it a point to walk instead of ride this year.

Ball: Last year I played the Vice Pro Plus Neon Red (can't lose the ball in that color) but this year I have played the Chrome Soft X and recently began testing the Snell MTB Black and Red. I felt that I was having trouble compressing the Pro Plus and am confused because now when I do the ball selector on their website it says I need the Vice Pro. I don't get it but maybe they tweaked their selector.

Driver: 2017 Taylormade M1 set to neutral and 9.5 degrees with an Aldila Rogue Silver stiff shaft, I just added it to the bag this year and increased my driving distance 25 yards versus my old Nike Ignite 460. I got it used from Edwin Watts and it was tested on the launch monitor there...for some reason this just fits me.

Fairway Wood:  Callaway XR16 5 wood with Project X 6.0 stiff flex, I just bought this year and fitted at Edwin Watts.

Hybrid: Taylormade M2 3 hybrid with Reax stiff shaft, again bought this year and fit at Edwin Watts.

Irons: Ping I200 red dot 5-UW with AWT 2.0 shafts, I was fit for these irons last year at AC Read Golf Course in Pensacola Florida by a Ping fitter.

Wedges: 54 and 58 degree black dot Ping Glide wedges, I just rounded out my set with these two wedges purchased off of eBay. These really turned out to be a great purchase and my wedge game is probably the strength of my game.

Putter: I currently use a Ping Sigma G Darby putter. I tried the Darby at PGA superstore and literally was making them from across the room so figured I would try it.  I also have purchased a Kevin Burns 9303SN, a Ping Anser Scottsdale TR, and a Scotty Cameron Futura Phantom 2 center shafted. Oh and just bought the Tommy Armour Impact 3 too.

I average 2 putts on every hole so this is probably the weakest part of my game. I am really going to focus on wedge play and putting this year. I need to get closer to the hole on my approach shots and thus get more 1 putts. The wedges are the strongest part of my game at the moment, but I have noticed some trends thanks to shot tracking with Skycaddie Linkx GT watch and tags. I have a tendency to miss left and the feel and control is somewhat lacking. I try to have a smooth swing tempo opting for control over distance. If I have a 100 yard shot I am pulling my 54 degree Ping Glide wedge and opting for a bit smoother tempo since I normally max out at 105 with that club. I hit my 58 degree about 80 with a full swing. The reason I say it is the strength of my game is because I really have gotten to a point where I can do ¾ or ½ wedge shots with each club giving me various consistent yardages. I am usually within 20 feet with either wedge so I try to play golf to my strengths which means I am trying to get within wedge distance off of every tee.  About 90% of the time I lay up on Par 5s...I know it isn't exciting, but my scores are better when I lay up to inside 100 yards. I have tried to bring the trajectory down to get better control, but nothing has worked. The specific benefit of the Ping Glide wedges are their forgiveness, but since they are cast I have a difficult feeling exactly where my strike point is on the club face. My current wedge play is all about tempo and swing length.

I am very selective on which tests I apply for because I want the test to benefit my game and I want the test to line up with what I am working on that year. I desperately wanted to try Ben Hogan wedges, because they are supposed to provide great feel and feedback thanks to the forging and 1025 carbon steel. As I was reading about the benefits, I knew these wedges had to be at the top of my wedge list because I have trouble with ballooning shots and trajectory control all of which have been addressed by Ben Hogan engineers in the Equalizer wedges.  The Equalizer wedges feature a specifically designed Center of Mass that is moved around in the club head depending on the loft of the wedge which should help with trajectory control. I read and reread about them over and over after I found out about the testing opportunity. I truthfully watched the video about the Equalizer wedges between 75-100 times. Ben Hogan was an amazing wedge player and I would love to gain confidence and control on those vital scoring shots. I can't wait to share with my fellow spies about the results and of course why I chose the specifics of the clubs, shaft choice and lie angle. Stay tuned for Stage 2 and more information on the picture below.

20180529_160700.jpg

Like Ben Hogan

I wish I could swing like Mr. Hogan. I mean we both are 5'9 and probably about the same weight. His swing is magnificent and of course I own his book. When I applied to test the wedges, I felt like I would get selected. I don't know what it was, but I feel like it was supposed to happen. I found out after a round of golf that I was selected and the wild thing is that while at the driving range before my round look what I found….

20180509_155052.jpg

Was Mr. Hogan sending me a pre round message. Yes I kept the ball for good luck it's in my bag right now. Feel free to send me your questions in preparation for my Stage 2. I will be testing in every conceivable situation (no seriously I made a list), but if there is something you would like to know don't hesitate. I am super excited about this opportunity and I want to thank My Golf Spy and Ben Hogan Golf for this amazing opportunity.

"Obviously my iron play is incredible, and when I get going I can get hot, but this course just fits my eye. The shaping of the holes, and just a couple of the doglegs, I'm able to shape shots."

Bryson DeChambeau

In my  :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

:srixon-small: Z765 9.5 with Miyazaka Kaula Mizu 6 Stiff Shaft (TrueGolfFit Recommended!!!)

:cobra-small: F8 3-4 wood 16* Aldilla Blue 70 Stiff shaft

:taylormade-small: Rescue mid 2 iron 16*

:cobra-small: One Length Forged Tec 4-GW with AMT Black shafts

:cameron-small: Futura Phantom 2

:bridgestone-small:Tour B330 RX

Like Bass Fishing? Check out my one and only article!!!

https://www.bassresource.com/beginner/get-started-bass-fishing.html

BEN HOGAN EQUALIZER WEDGE TEST - STAGE 2
Intro

My testing consisted of 10 range sessions, 7 rounds of golf, culminating with a final range test using TopTracer Range technology. I spent over 50 hours testing these wedges which includes 11 hours on the practice range, 4 hours of practice chipping green time, and 38 total on course hours. I hit 600 range balls which includes my final test range total of 200 golf balls.
Looks (8 out of 10 points)

The wedges have a very traditional look overall with a classic shape and is very similar to other wedges on the market. I deducted 2 points for the back of the club however is not traditional and is very modern looking compared to most other wedges currently on the market. I found it to be distracting.

Sound & Feel (10 out of 10 points)

The sound and feel is phenomenal. I can't stress that enough, the previous statement could easily be in all CAPS!! On center hits are crisp with a nice click like your mom snapped her fingers to get your attention and off center hits have a similar click but muted. You will definitely feel off center hits, but it isn't clunky or harsh like the Ping Glides. I instantly knew where on the club face the strike occurred. Compared to my current Ping Glide wedges, it is night and day because in my opinion the Glide wedges have no feel at all. I used impact tape during the forgiveness portion of my test and I didn't need to look down, because I instantly knew where the impact was just off of feel. Don't worry I took pictures of the strike locations and impact tape for your viewing pleasure. It is truly an amazing experience.

Range Performance (20 out of 20 points)

Ever felt like hitting 200 balls at the range, well if you try these wedges chances are you will want to hit them over and over and over. I completed 10 range sessions totaling 11 hours of testing with my final session of 2 hours on a newly installed TopTracer Range at a nearby golf course. Most of what you will see here are results from that final 2 hours of testing. TopTracer Range is like being at TopGolf, but at your local range. I used target technology aided by TopTracer's scoring system. You will see all of the data and feel free to ask questions or come to your own conclusions.

Accuracy and Control Test

For the accuracy and control test, I chose to hit to 3 targets at 100 yards, 80 yards, and 50 yards respectively. I gave each Ben Hogan Equalizer and each Ping Glide wedge only 6 shots. I warmed up prior to the test by hitting about 25 balls and also used the built in launch monitor to gauge my full, ¾ and ½ distances as a build up to the actual test.

The first test consisted of my current gap wedge gamer, the Ping I200 UW red dot at 50* AWT 2.0 Stiff Flex at 104 grams vs. the Ben Hogan Equalizer 52* 1 degree flat with KBS Tour 90 Stiff flex at 102 grams. The red dots are the Ben Hogan wedge shots and the black are the Pings. Ready for the results?

52v50greengrid.png

As you can see with the above graphic, the Equalizer won in a landslide. In my opinion, the feel and lie angle contributed greatly to the accuracy and this is what I have seen on the course as well.

The second test consisted of my current sand wedge gamer, the Ping Glide black dot at 54* CWS Wedge Flex at 130 grams vs. the Ben Hogan Equalizer 56* 1 degree flat with KBS Tour 90 Stiff flex at 102 grams. Ready for the results?

56v54greengrid.png

Again the Ben Hogan outperformed the Ping. Overall I thought that I would be much better from 80 yards, but the numbers don't lie.

The final accuracy test consisted of my current lob wedge gamer, the Ping Glide black dot at 58* CWS Wedge Flex at 130 grams vs. the Ben Hogan Equalizer 60* 1 degree flat with KBS Tour 90 Stiff flex at 102 grams. I tested them the same as before, but to a target at 50 yards. Ready for the results?

60v58greengrid.png

Now this is what I was expecting. I have seen through my rounds last year and this year that my current gamer Ping Glide 58 has a tendency to go left of target probably because of the standard lie angle. I also have had this shot come up multiple times on the course with my Pings and I have had a lot of trouble with ballooning shots at this distance and the engineering team really did a great job moving the weighting to a location which allowed me to flight the shot down. The Ben Hogan Equalizer won again easily and trust me if this continues to translate to the course then I have a great chance at making more birdies.

Forgiveness Test

The next variable I chose to test was forgiveness. I wanted to see if I could feel where the impact is on the face and also the distance variations on off center hits. I did the best I could here, but I found it difficult to hit way off on the toe or heel, but I have included the TopTracer data as well as distance charts and pictures of the impact position via impact tape. I hope you find this a worthy test.

Ben Hogan Equalizer 52* Forgiveness

The first test here is of the Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*. The chart below shows the shot number, distance, and impact position. Each subsequent picture will show the launch monitor data as well as the corresponding impact position. I didn't include each and every one of the shots, just the ones that were needed in my opinion.

52FORGIVENESSTEST.png

Shot 1 was 108 yards with center strike point towards the heel.
52CENTERFACE108.png
52CENTER108IMPACT.png

Shot 2 was center strike towards the heel.
52CENTERSTRIKEHEEL1.jpg
52CENTERSTRIKEHEEL2.jpg

Shot 3 was a center strike towards the toe which resulted in 106 yards.
Shot 4 was a dead center strike that resulted in 113 yards.
Shot 5 was a toe hit that resulted in 102 yards.
Here are the resulting strike points.
52degreeshots3to5.jpg

Shot number 6 was a heel strike that resulted in 98 yards.
52degreeheelstrike.jpg
52impactheel.jpg

Ben Hogan Equalizer 56* Forgiveness

56FORGIVENESSTEST.png

Shot number 1 was a high toe strike that resulted in 79 yards of distance.
56hightoe79.jpg
56hightoe79impact.jpg

Shot number 2 was middle heel which resulted in 82 yards of distance.
56middleheel82.jpg
56middleheel82impact.jpg

Shot number 3 was middle of face but low resulting 88 yards of distance.
3.jpg
4.jpg

Shot number 4 was middle of face but on the heel resulting in 88 yards of distance.
1.jpg
2.jpg

Shot number 5 was middle heel again resulting in 91 yards of distance.

56middleheel91.jpg

56middleheel91impact.jpg

Shot number 6 was middle heel and low resulting in 95 yards of distance.

56middleheellow95.jpg

56middleheellow95impact.jpg

Ben Hogan Equalizer 60* Forgiveness
60FORGIVENESSTEST.png
Shot number 1 was in the middle of the clubface resulting in 78 yards.
9.jpg
10.jpg

Shot number 2 was middle resulting in 73 yards of distance.
Shot number 3 was off the toe resulting in 72 yards of distance.
11.jpg
12.jpg

Shot number 4 was off the heel and low resulting in 85 yards of distance.
Shot number 5 was middle with 83 yards of distance.
Shot number 6 was middel again with 81 yards of distance.

Workability Test

For the workability test, I did a brief warm up of about 15 shots and during the warmup I tried to hit different types of shots. I basically based the test on a Tic Tac Toe board so as you will see in the graphic it consists of 9 squares. For this test, I tested each wedge and only gave myself one shot to hit the square.

Tic Tac Toe
tictactoe.png
I have all associated pictures of the launch monitor data that correlate to this chart, but I am not including them mainly because I have put too much in here to begin with. I am Geeking Golf!

On-Course Performance (35 out of 40 points)

Overall the on course performance was better than the Ping Glides. Early on course testing produced less than desirable results, but further analysis determined that it was mainly due to my adjustment to the V-sole and the 2 degree difference between the current wedges and the test wedges.

I really wanted to provide even more data for the on course section, but my current GPS tracking watch the Skycaddie Linx GT stopped tracking shots right before beginning the testing. The only data I can provide in this section will be timeline tracking of my rounds. I did start using the 18birdies app so I will be including some wedge shots that were tracked with the app after I purchased the Premium Plan. I apologize for this, but if you refer back to the final range test you will see the Ben Hogan's performance characteristics.

Compared to my practice sessions, these wedges performed very similar in the later round tests. I have begun to trust these wedges more and more. Their accuracy is exceptional and golf is a lot more fun when I can control the trajectory and the shot shape instead of being forced to take dead aim. My greens in regulation numbers have gone up from my last years rounds. The ability to flight the ball down and to work it both ways is the major contributing factor in the increase in GIR. I believe that the forgiveness isn't as good as the Ping Glides, but I think this is a small price to pay considering.

Overall these wedges flat out perform! My scores definitely improved over time. I shot the best round of my golfing life with these wedges (a 74) and I think that says as much about their performance as anything else. After the test, I believe that Ben Hogan Golf is an OEM that can compete with the big boys in the market and they are a real sleeper for the average golfer wanting to play better golf. I think that after this current resurrection of the brand that Ben Hogan Golf is poised to explode on the golf scene and that they are staying true to original vision of Ben Hogan himself.

Play it or Trade it? (20 out of 20 points)
These wedges score a solid play it for my game. These wedges have earned their place in my current bag. I know for a fact that after testing these forged wedges that my next set of clubs will be a forged set and quite possibly a Ben Hogan iron set could be in my future.

Conclusion

The Ben Hogan Equalizer wedges live up to manufacturers claims of enhanced feel and control. These wedges flat out perform on the range and more importantly on the course, where your scoring counts. If you put in the time, these wedges will reward your dedication and hard work with low scores and one putts.
Final Score: 93

"Obviously my iron play is incredible, and when I get going I can get hot, but this course just fits my eye. The shaping of the holes, and just a couple of the doglegs, I'm able to shape shots."

Bryson DeChambeau

:srixon-small: Z765 9.5 with Miyazaka Kaula Mizu 6 Stiff Shaft (TrueGolfFit Recommended!!!)

First and foremost I'd like to thank the Ben Hogan company and My Golf Spy for this opportunity. I know most reviews start this way, but it's true for myself and others that this phenomenal opportunity wouldn't happen without them. MGS is a great place and I'm glad that I found it. I have bleen playing golf since 2015 when a friend of mine got me into this game, he is my one of my best friends. It didn't take much for me to get hooked on golf since I enjoy being outside a lot and it was something that kept me going. I have been playing hockey since I was 5 and the transition from hockey to golf has been a little difficult. It's been difficult for me to adjust because of playing defense and taking so many shots without looking at the puck and also hitting so far behind the puck which doesn't work well in golf.

me.jpg

Since playing I have lowered my scores from 120 to 130 down to by personal best 96. My current gamer irons are Wishon 575, blades with a small cavity in the long irons, ping glide 1.0 56* and 60*, and I play a 13* 3wood xr16 as my driver.

I live in Northeast Pa and have been playing in some courses near Reading Pa recently. I'm not a long hitter and I'm not a short hitter I normally tee off with my 3w then use a longer to mid iron to get near then green or on the green. I play my wedges a lot on par 5s because I tend to leave myself 100 or less into the green. I have some trouble with sand near the green but I play better out of fairway bunkers( don't know why). I enjoy golfing because it's my break from work and my break from dog training my other love.

box.jpg

open box.jpg

I tend to be a faster player with my rounds being 3 hours or less. My swing is a faster swing most of the time and I normally play a left to right ball flight with my miss being a ball that goes too far right. I am playing stiff shafts in my irons and now the wedges because I have a faster tempo and the true temper s300 is giving me a lower ball flight compared to the super high ball flight I was having with other shafts and irons.

51.jpg56.jpg60.jpg56 back.jpgMy 56* is normally by 75 to 100 choice, 60* is 75 yards and in club, and the 50* to 51* is 100 to 115. I can play my pitching wedge from my 125 yard or in depending on whether I flight it down or play my normal shot. I am typically a very good short game player and that helps me score or save a score. The one thing that I have improved with my wedges and hope to keep improving is picking the ball better. I'm hoping that the change in sole and bounce will help me keep from digging the leading edge into the ground as much. The bounce and sole change is something that I hope will help me out when playing bunker shots also.

grip.jpggrooves.jpg

Since putting these wedges in the bag I have scored my lowest round and have hit some really nice shots. I'm putting the Hogan wedges up against the Wishon A wedge which is a 50* so I had the 52* bent to a 51*. The glide wedges have been in my bag since 2015 and I'm hoping that there is a good test between them and the Hogans. I know that the grooves are getting a little worn so it may not be the best comparison but I will do my best.

info.jpgspecs.jpgtop view.jpgI will be going to the range once a week and playing a round once a week to test these out. I will either play a full 18 hole course or a par 3 course. I'm thinking the par 3 will be a good place to put these to the test. I'm hoping that the v sole gives me a different play-ability compared to the wedges I game now. I also hope that the milled face gives me a little more stopping power than the glides did. I will be doing all my testing with the cut white or blue balls. I may throw in some snell but they will one of the three balls. Sorry I know the pictures are random but I didn't know where to place them being my first review so I'm open to comments and placement advice.

in cover.jpg

shaft.jpg

Intro

First off I want to thank MGS and Hogan again for this opportunity. I played twice this past week to get some video and some pictures that I forgot to take when playing the 8 rounds before. I did some head to head comparisons with the Hogans and the Glide 1.0(which I have been gaming since 2015). I do not use a launch monitor for anything and I did not use the distance feature on the GolfPad app I use for score purposes only not to check distances between the clubs I just went by feel.

Looks ( 10 out of 10 points)

Describe the following:

20180704_113334.jpg

20180704_113428.jpg

• The shape of these wedges is great for my eye. I play blades normally and they are very clean and sharp looking. They do not look a lot different than the Glides which is good for me because I played them so well for 3 years.

• There aren't many graphics and there is nothing that looks busy when they are in my hand, which I really enjoy. I agree with Shankster on the fact that busy graphics do not fit my eye.

• These clubs look great from the grips to the sole. I would not change a thing about their looks.

• The grips are pretty unique having the Hogan signature in them but other than that they look just like solid clubs.

• Are they flashy? The only thing that stands out that people notice are the grips as I said above.

Sound & Feel (08 out of 10 points)

Describe how the wedges sound and feel

• The clubs have a nice sound to them on off hits but when you hit them just right they sound well damn near perfect.

• The clubs feel great when you hit them the way you should. I feel like when I am hitting the ball well I can control the shape, height, and the amount of spin I can get off of them. The only other time I felt control like this is when I was playing hockey and I got the perfect flex stick which allowed me to do everything it I wanted and had just the right sound.

• I have been more consistent with these wedges than I ever was with the glides. I think the sole difference is a huge part of that and I have not noticed much drop off in distance with the miss-hits. My only loss in distance or control has been from the club moving in my hand(this is not the clubs fault and no matter how much cleaning of the grips I did nothing helped).

• I did deduct a little in the feel not because of the face or the sole but because of the grips. I do not like the way the grips feel in my hand. I did have mid size grips put on these because I have mids on my other clubs. I did notice that the grips were larger than my other grips. When it's humid out and my hands are sweaty I did notice that the club would rotate a little in my hand. I clean my clubs after every round including my grips and on hot days I wipe my grips between shots with a wet towel then dry it off, but nothing helped this feeling.

• 20180707_110827_2.gif

Range Performance (18 out of 20 points)

This one is hard for me because I noticed that the courses near work do not have ranges unless they are private. I have not had a lot of range time with these clubs but I do practice in my yard weekly and sometimes daily. I can work flop shots from very short(I play some very slopped greens) to probably 20 yards. I like to goof off when I practice in my yard because my 16 month old dog likes to chase the golf balls and try to catch them in the air. With her doing this I have noticed that I can land balls on the green a heck of a lot softer than I ever have before. I cannot tell if this is from the new clubs or if it's because I do not want to hurt my dog or break windows. The downside to this there is no where for me to practice out of sand(my normal weakness). My neighbor did remove a pool from his yard and I have contemplated going over there to hit off of the sand that was under it but my landing areas are not ideal in any way so I have avoided this. When I say I like to goof off I see how close I can get to the 4 foot fence and clear it with flop shots, I have done this with the Glides and now I have done it with the Hogans. I have been within a club length with the Glides and have been even closer with the Hogans. These equalizers are no joke I got to within 18 inches and cleared the fence not by much because I do not want to hurt my clubs when I hit the chain link fence.

Describe the following compared to your current gamers:

• Accuracy – I have not done a test like ddryan has but I will say I have played 2 balls on the course a few times and put my glides and equalizers head to head. I do my best to repeat my swing and see how they compare. I will say I have been able to get balls consistently closer with the equalizers than I can with the glides. This may be a difference in the grooves or it may be the fact that I am not super repeatable.

• Distance – These wedges are about the same maybe slightly longer than my current gamer clubs but it is not by much maybe 5 yards but that may be pushing it. This is probably because I am playing different shafts. The equalizers have KBS TourV 110 in stiff and the Glides have True temper wedge shafts. I will say I like playing a stiff shaft in my club which matches my irons.

• Trajectory – I can take these clubs high or low but they are generally lower than the Glides. I am able to take the glides a lot higher than I can take the equalizers.

• Control & workability– I can control my wedges better than any other club in my bag I can work a ball left to right or right to left. I can take a wedge high or low pretty much any time I want but no matter what it's easier for me to work the ball left to right(my normal shot shape).

On-Course Performance (37out of 40 points)

I am not the most accurate with my long irons and I tend to get a lot of them to hit into the green because I play a 3 wood off of the tee. With me getting selected to test wedges I have changed some things up on purpose with my course management. I have continued to hit the 3 wood off of the tee but instead of hitting to the distance to try to hit the green with a longer iron and possibly roll off of the back I have just left shots shorter on purpose. I have done this to use the equalizers more. I will say that doing this I have left myself in a better position than some of the places I have been left by going over the green. I have had some of my best rounds every with the new clubs and playing the shots I hit with the equalizer over shots I hit with my glides. My only issue has been in the sticky rough where I hit the club high on the face.

20180707_102840_1.gif

Describe the following compared to your practice sessions:

• Accuracy – I hit most of the targets I aim for except when my mind and body don't talk to each other.

• Trajectory – It's lower than I'm use to but I am able to deal with it and I am able to stop the ball quickly so I will deal with it until I go for a whole club fitting.

• Forgiveness – I have been playing some very tough rough the past few rounds which has lead me to hitting some shots off of the top of the face. I have lost some distance with this happening but not more than 5 or 7 yards. The distance loss on a miss hit is nearly the same as a crisp clean shot. I will say that sometimes when my old swing comes out and I hit it fat I lose a boat load of distance but that is with every single club in my bag not just the wedges.

Describe the following compared to your current gamer:
  • Distance – Is close to the same on full swings maybe a 5 yard difference and it is generally longer but I account that to the difference in shafts.

• Control – I can stop these on a dime when playing the Cut blues but when playing the TP5 and ProV1 I got a little more roll out of them. I will continue to play these with the Cuts because I like how they react off of the equalizers.

• Pressure – I have been able to score my best rounds and they are generally with strangers. They watch me hit shots with the wedges and just ask how I am able to do that. I like working under pressure so I don't mind hitting when strangers are watching and yet I'm able to score well.

• I have hit these really well out of the sand. I hit 5 sand shots this year with these clubs and I have left myself closer to the hole. I do not get to practice this much as I said above and this is by far the worst part of my short game. I cam so close today to getting myself in the perfect position out of the bunker today but barely got stuck in the rough at the top, or I would have been within a foot.20180707_111759.jpg

Final Performance Comments:

20180704_142058_1_1.gif

• I have shot some of my best rounds and came close to breaking 90 a few times, missing 90 was not because of my wedge game it was because of my off of the tee game. I really like how these clubs look and how they sound. I am a huge fan of forged clubs and it is nice to play these wedges.

• I did not know anything about the Hogan wedges other than what some of the guys here have said about them. Without MGS I probably would have never even considered them as clubs to buy.

• What feature would you change or eliminate from the next generation of this models? I am glad that they are now working with True Temper because if I would buy any of their clubs in the future I would be able to have something that I am familiar with.

• What feature do you really like? I really like the sole and boy of boy does it work with my swing. I can hit a flop shot with these no problem and I was initially concerned about that.

Play it or Trade it? (20 out of 20 points)

These wedges are my new gamer 110%. I like how they sound, look, and the control I have with them. I was going to be looking for new wedges this year because wanting to get something new to compare to the glides. I have enjoyed hitting them a lot and they are softer feeling than the glides. There is no doubt that I will not be trading these in and I will be looking at Hogan from now on when it comes to wedges and maybe even irons.

Conclusion

I have enjoyed testing these wedges out and they are my new gamers. They are softer than the glides in my opinion and they are very workable. I was asked to hit them off of some hard pan when testing and I hit them off of slate and no damage so they are durable. I had hit some shots on really hard turf and they have some scuffing and scratches but not many. If you like the feel of a forged iron give these a try. I have not ever hit Vokeys but I would take these over the glides and I loved to play the glides. With Hogan getting in with True Temper they should be on everyones radar. Russ I hope the question about forgiveness is answer and if anyone has any questions please ask.

Final Score: Overall score of 93 out of 100. The things that I gave deductions for were the grips not feeling as tacky as the pure grips I play and the lower trajectory because of the different shafts. I did not deduct any points because of the clubs themselves its mainly because I like to see a higher shot shape for my eye and I like to have a grip I can rely on. These wedges are great and I can rely on them even after such a short time having them in the bag.

i hope everyone enjoys my first ever Stage 1 and also don't forget to post your questions in here. I will provide as many answers as possible to my fellow spies during my Stage 2.

Bryson DeChambeau

Great Stage 1s so far guys! I'll be interested in seeing how distance control is, along with forgiveness - do these wedges give you confidence to take full swings with them?

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Great Stage 1s so far guys! I'll be interested in seeing how distance control is, along with forgiveness - do these wedges give you confidence to take full swings with them?

Russ I will answer that in my stage 2 since I only have 2 rounds in with them.

I will make sure to touch on this during Stage 2 and it was on my list

Sent from my SM-G960U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Bryson DeChambeau

Great start guys!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

First, I want to send out a big thank you to My Golf Spy and Ben Hogan Golf for allowing me to test these beautiful golf clubs. I look forward to providing the MGS community with an honest and thorough test. 

First of all thank you for serving our country for all those years!  Secondly great intro and I look forward to following your journey through this review.   Well done partner.

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

First of all thank you for serving our country for all those years! Secondly great into and I look forward to following your journey through this review. Well done partner.

Thanks Ole Gray

Bryson DeChambeau

Nice start guys. Glad to see the v sole has remained pretty much unchanged.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

Looking good fellas!

Thanks

Bryson DeChambeau

Great start guys!

Thanks

Bryson DeChambeau

Tom and Geeking.....FanFrickinTastic!!

Two great intros to start it off. Geeking, I really liked the Glides when I had them in the bag. I'll be anxious to hear how these stack up.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

First of all thank you for serving our country for all those years! Secondly great into and I look forward to following your journey through this review. Well done partner.

I wonder what he has more battle scars from, serving our country or raising 6 kids

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I wonder what he has more battle scars from, serving our country or raising 6 kids

haha It's got to be the six kids  and he's definitely a hero!  ;)

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Nice start on all the reviews.   

My question is related to the sole of the clubs.   Since these wedges only come in 1 bounce configuration,  how does the V Sole work for shots around the green (open face, bunkers, short pitches, and chips)?  Also,  do you consider a digger or slider?  Hope you all planning on trying these wedges on bare hardpan lies :)

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Nice start on all the reviews.

My question is related to the sole of the clubs. Since these wedges only come in 1 bounce configuration, how does the V Sole work for shots around the green (open face, bunkers, short pitches, and chips)? Also, do you consider a digger or slider? Hope you all planning on trying these wedges on bare hardpan lies :)

I only had two bunker shots so far so I will have to push that answer off for another day. I actually like the sole for my swing it works well open and closed face going high or low. I was a digger now I'm working on fixing that.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Archived