Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Why can’t every tour stop adopt “Open Conditions�

Gg Owen

How tough would it be to let a course grow in more before a tour stop? Let the rough grow up and let deep rough become heather. And maybe allow the fairways to shrink in slightly.

Wouldn't the less up keep and reduced fairway size save money? At the same time challenge the players without talks of regulating the ball

No one wants to deal with those conditions every week from a fan perspective and the players. While it may cut down on course maintenance the courses they are playing aren't worried about money.

Also playin those conditions every week takes away the mystique, thrill or whatever adjective to describe what is known as the truest test in golf.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I like to see diifferent courses and conditions. More variety should bring umin a variety of different winners.

I will say i dont like ti hear whining about how tough a course is on tour. The whole field plays it regaardless.

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

No one wants to deal with those conditions every week from a fan perspective and the players. While it may cut down on course maintenance the courses they are playing aren't worried about money.

Also playin those conditions every week takes away the mystique, thrill or whatever adjective to describe what is known as the truest test in golf.

Wrong, make the courses harder for the babies!

:callaway-small: Rouge Draw 13.5 Lite Flex
:titelist-small: 913H 24 degree Diamana Lite Flex
:adams-small:  Idea Pro a12 20 degree Aldila VS Proto Regular Flex
:mizuno-small:   MP 100 4 - PW Stiff DGS 300
:callaway-small: Mack Daddy 2  TG 52/10, RG 56/10 and TG 60/10
:cameron-small: 2014 Select Newport 2  33 "

It wouldn't be tough,  Just need to cut or not cut the grass.   The problem would be with the greens since "open conditions" is generally very traumatic.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Snowflakes should not play golf then, hey check out the LPGA!

25 UNDER EVERYTIME!

I would have never started playing if every tournament was like this. It's brutal, almost not fun to watch.

My local executive course can kick my butt many a time.Agree with you. Doing this would set a precedence for all courses to do this.

Keep it in the short stuff

25 UNDER EVERYTIME!

Far from the truth and there's 70+ pros who miss the cut every week, I doubt they think it's easy

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Dumbest idea ever.

Agreed RP. Totally unwatchable. My vote is to let the PGA have their way and totally screw with the players like this once a year...At this event only. It's after all a "tradition like no other" to coin a phrase from another famous event that shall not be impeeded on either... :ph34r: IMHO :P

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

Wrong, make the courses harder for the babies!

You think tour courses are easy. Have you played one during tournament week? I have. Trust me the rough and green speeds are not what you and I see at our local clubs or muni's on the weekends.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Rob and Topline have a point. The weekly stops may not be as brutal as the U.S. Open but they ain't anywhere near as easy as some people seem to think. The Open isn't near as wild as it looks either. I enjoy watching a tough setup but I do think the usga tends to go loopy around this time of year on some things.

Ever noticed the call for brutal setups is always from the guys who can't play them? I know I've done it

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

I've watched almost every tour event televised the last five years. Some courses just aren't designed for USGA conditions. It requires a unique course to hold a US Open venue. The Torrey Pines and Pebble beach yes. The Harbor Town or Waste Management a huge no

So many factors layout;region;annual weather;grass type.Possibly five courses on tour have what it takes to host an Open

Keep it in the short stuff

Consider how much manpower it takes to get a course in the condition it needs to be in for a US Open. It's cost prohibitive to even think of it. Plus many tour courses are simply not strong enough to host a US Open.

Even though I'm generally bully on the PGA tour courses, they aren't all Shinnecock so even with tough conditions it would not be the same.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Rob and Topline have a point. The weekly stops may not be as brutal as the U.S. Open but they ain't anywhere near as easy as some people seem to think. The Open isn't near as wild as it looks either. I enjoy watching a tough setup but I do think the usga tends to go loopy around this time of year on some things.

Ever noticed the call for brutal setups is always from the guys who can't play them? I know I've done it

This and others like it are spot on.

The estimated course rating on an average tour stop based on set up is between 76 and 77. That's what a scratch golfer would shoot there 1/4 of the time - let the reader understand.

I don't necessarily agree that it's not as wild as it looks out there for the US Open. The USGA tries to push courses to the max and have at times gone past it with Shinnecock 2004 being the most notable. Although Winged Foot back in 79 made that look like a walk in the park - I think plus 7 was the winning score.

It's pretty wild but that's the only way to reward a fairways, greens, take your medicine approach which is what they are after.

It's looking like this year will be a classic in regards to the four majors. The Masters rewards well executed boldness, the US Open the above, the Open shot making creativity and execution through the green and the PGA functions like a super regular tour event.

That's a great package - its why so few players have succeeded in winning all four. It also sets their games apart.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

This and others like it are spot on.

The estimated course rating on an average tour stop based on set up is between 76 and 77. That's what a scratch golfer would shoot there 1/4 of the time - let the reader understand.

I don't necessarily agree that it's not as wild as it looks out there for the US Open. The USGA tries to push courses to the max and have at times gone past it with Shinnecock 2004 being the most notable. Although Winged Foot back in 79 made that look like a walk in the park - I think plus 7 was the winning score.

It's pretty wild but that's the only way to reward a fairways, greens, take your medicine approach which is what they are after.

It's looking like this year will be a classic in regards to the four majors. The Masters rewards well executed boldness, the US Open the above, the Open shot making creativity and execution through the green and the PGA functions like a super regular tour event.

That's a great package - its why so few players have succeeded in winning all four. It also sets their games apart.

Well said

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Nah, half of those guys would probably quit :P

My Weapons of Grass Destruction 🏌️‍♂️

:titelist-small: TS2 10.5* Hzrdus Smoke S

:titelist-small: 917F2 15* Diamana Blue 70 S

:titelist-small: 818H1 19* Evenflow Blue 85HY S

:titelist-small: 716 AP2 4-P AMT White S300

:vokey-small: SM7 50.12 F bent 1* weak, SM7 56.14 F, SM7 60.08 M - S200

:odyssey-small: Black Series 3

RH - Ontario 🇨🇦 and Ohio 🇺🇸

Avg. score 85-92

For me, I can't stand the US Open. Guys can't make a run unless they water/slow down the course. I thought Fleetwood's run was epic but it's wouldn't have happened if the USGA didn't water the course as much as they did. Saturday was brutal to watch. Guys hitting it to 7' from the pin only to have it roll off into a trap or 15 yards off the green. When the good shots start getting punished, it becomes ridiculous. 

Think about guys making a run on the back nine at the Masters. That's a lot of fun to watch. Do you see that at the US Open? Very rarely. It's a matter of who can hang on the longest and screw up the least. 

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

I think the above quote sums up the US Open very well.

Some players and fans don't like the US Open. Other players and fans love the US Open. So it seems to be a subject of personal preference.

My own perspective is that the US Open is the one event where par is a good score, sometimes even par or over par is the winning score, and that having one event per year like this is a good thing.

I like the Masters , British Open, and PGA Championship as well. Each one of the Majors has its own identity and character.

Nothing with par being a good score.  But if the USGA hadn't "manufactured" decent conditions on Sunday, nobody would have been close to par.   Northing wrong with the way the course played Thursday and Friday.   But they had to push it over the edge on Saturday, which is hard to believe they would be so shortsighted knowing what happened in 2004.   But I guess DJ being at -4 was too much for the Blue Coats to take, and they had to show everyone who is boss and didn't set it up normally.    

It amazes me why they don't listen to or take the innput from the staff that sets this course up the other 51 weeks of the year.   They obviously know the local conditions and trends better than the USGA. 

Nothing with par being a good score. But if the USGA hadn't "manufactured" decent conditions on Sunday, nobody would have been close to par. Northing wrong with the way the course played Thursday and Friday. But they had to push it over the edge on Saturday, which is hard to believe they would be so shortsighted knowing what happened in 2004. But I guess DJ being at -4 was too much for the Blue Coats to take, and they had to show everyone who is boss and didn't set it up normally.

It amazes me why they don't listen to or take the innput from the staff that sets this course up the other 51 weeks of the year. They obviously know the local conditions and trends better than the USGA.

I have no doubt the usga didn't want to see dj just run away with the win even if there was a chance someone else might have an even better round to push him. The usga is obsessed with pushing the limits and imo punishing the players instead of showcasing their skills. Good/great shots need to be rewarded not punished. They don't learn lessons well and 2004 to this week is a perfect example. They choose to push the limit and got burnt again on this course then went almost to the extreme in the other direction for yesterday. I enjoyed watching fleetwood go low and koepka having a good day. They could have maybe not gone as soft yesterday but I much prefer yesterday to Saturday

Course set up and maintenance costs money.  Period. Even if you are letting the grass grow, you need to constantly water that grass and tend to it so it does not allow mold, or other diseases to take over.

And every course does not adopt US Open settings for multiple reasons that have been laid out eloquently above.  

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

I have no doubt the usga didn't want to see dj just run away with the win even if there was a chance someone else might have an even better round to push him. The usga is obsessed with pushing the limits and imo punishing the players instead of showcasing their skills. Good/great shots need to be rewarded not punished. They don't learn lessons well and 2004 to this week is a perfect example. They choose to push the limit and got burnt again on this course then went almost to the extreme in the other direction for yesterday. I enjoyed watching fleetwood go low and koepka having a good day. They could have maybe not gone as soft yesterday but I much prefer yesterday to Saturday

Agree here 100%

• 2 weeks later...

The US Open has long had the tradition of being more challenging than normal associated with it. That does make it a particularly fun venue.  Not seeing a leaderboard bleeding red is certainly a welcomed change.  It seems like so many tournaments now are well into double digit below par numbers.  While this supports the "Live Under Par" slogan, it almost seems no challenge at all from our (mere mortals) perspective.  Seeing the best struggle to just shoot par is good. "Hey Mr. PGA pro, welcome to our world".

As to the OP's question about making all courses play this tough, I'm not sure I'd want that.  Shinnecock on Friday (or was it Saturday) did seem to be like crazy golf.  A bit more difficult to perhaps keep finishing totals to single digit red numbers would be better.  It seems to me that it's distance off the tee that is principally responsible for the typical low scoring.  It has become a "bash & gouge" sequence for many with off first cut second shots simply not being the disadvantage as they were in the past. Certainly making ruff thicker and higher might help, but maybe also some more challenging landing area bunkers.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

Part of the reason second cut rough is less difficult is that they are hitting shot irons or wedges rather than mid irons. When the average driving distance was 260 a 440 yard par 4 was driver, 5 iron - it's tough to hit a 5 iron out of thick rough and keep it on the green.

Now it's driver 9 iron or wedge. Those clubs come out of the rough much easier than 5 iron.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Part of the reason second cut rough is less difficult is that they are hitting shot irons or wedges rather than mid irons. When the average driving distance was 260 a 440 yard par 4 was driver, 5 iron - it's tough to hit a 5 iron out of thick rough and keep it on the green.

Now it's driver 9 iron or wedge. Those clubs come out of the rough much easier than 5 iron.

That's a fact, but I can't get out of that stuff with a D.R. Trimmer/Mower.  It simply amazes me the stuff they hit out off and not just barely.  Maybe they just need to keep lengthening the courses.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

Snowflakes should not play golf then, hey check out the LPGA!

Do you play any competitive golf or just like to talk crap like you know what you're talking about?

I'd doubt you'd break 100 on tour set up. Let alone a US Open.

I do think the regular tour events play too soft but they shouldn't play like a US Open. Firm and fast is the ticket, not insane.

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

Probably a little later to the discussion here but I'll throw my hat in. I don't care much for the US Open. I want to watch great shots and aggressive play. That's why I love watching the Ryder and Presidents cup. Those guys attack the pins and play great golf. If I wanted to see someone shoot in the 80s I'd look in a mirror lol.

Some people like to see the pros struggle but I guess I am on the other side of the fence. I want to see records fall. When the mile dash record was broken they didn't change everything and make the runners run in mud.

Watching the US open, I always get the feeling its a glass is half empty kind of tournament. Who can mess up the least wins. That seems to be the mindset of the players as well, based on their interviews during the tournament.

Sent from my Pixel using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Archived