Back to Basics 101: The Grip

SteddyGolf

Fundamentals are the building blocks for success in all that we do. While there are examples of mutant athletes who defy logic, the vast majority of us mere mortals must rely on consistently doing the little things right to be successful. Whenever you feel your game heading down a rocky path often times a return to the basics will bring your game to smoother travels.

The Grip:

Non-dominate hand-

1. The club should lie diagonally across the palm of the hand approximately 1/4 in from the base of your little finger and across to the middle joint of your forefinger.

2. When your hand is closed over the grip you should be able to see at least two knuckles on the back of your hand.

4. The left thumb needs to be just to the right of the center of the grip. This will form a “V” shape with your forefinger which should point between your face and dominant shoulder.

The Dominant Hand-

1. When you place your hand on the grip make sure you do not move your non-dominant hand. The palm of your dominant hand should face the target. The grip should lie in the middle joints of the first three fingers.

2. The thumb of the non-dominant hand should fit nicely inside the dominant as you close your hand over the grip. The thumb on your dominant hand should lie over the top of the grip just to the side of center.

3. The “V” formed must point between your face and dominant shoulder.

4. The hands should always be close together to enable them to work as a single unit.

Grip Pressure-

1. It is important to maintain the correct pressure on the grip. You should hold the club as if it were a baby bird; tight enough to control but not so tight to suffocate.

2. To control the club at the top of the back swing you need to feel you are holding the club with last three fingers of your non-dominant hand.

3. In your dominant hand you should feel the pressure in your middle two fingers.

4. If you raise the club head off the ground directly in front of you the weight of the club should be felt in your fingers as indicated above.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

Yep - most swing flaws start with an issue with the basics, grip, stance, posture, alignment, ball position.

Totally agree

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

... Great reminder SG. By far the #1 mistake I see is having the grip too high in the left hand for a right handed player. Instead of in the fingers with the pad over the top of the grip, I see the grip riding on the pad or even over the pad. It should feel like the grip is completely in your fingers, not your palm. This gives you more control, a better wrist cock and more power. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

Faldo's teaching videos start with "good golf starts with a good grip".........get that right and it's easier to work on the other fundamentals.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

Archived