Jump to content

Nippon Modus players, question for you guys


bens197
 Share

Recommended Posts

For those of you who currently play the Modus, what were you playing before you switched and what compelled you to make the change?

  • Like 2
  • TaylorMade SIM2 8* Mitsubishi Tensei 1K White 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Ben Hogan PTx Combo Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Vokey SM8 50 Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • TaylorMade MG2 TW 56 & 60 Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5
  • TaylorMade TP5

 

Western, NY

5.7 Index

Link to comment
Share on other sites

They're such a smooth shaft. Feel is fanatic, even in X flex. Nippon does a lot great job of producing a number of profiles and weights so there's a chance there is something in their lineup that will fit just about anyone. 

  • Like 3

CC5 sig.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

KBS Tour for me. Reason? Fitter said I was launching too low with too much spin. Modus / i500 head helped with both. 

 

What's the goal here? What are you considering?

  • Like 1

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’ve played kbs, px and dg s3/400 before. Nippon does a great job with their shafts. The modus have a great feel, but like with any shaft there may be an iron head they don’t work as well with. They were great in my p790 and as much as I wanted the kbs $ taper to work in them after loving them in my titleist Nippon worked better. I wanted them to work in the pxg 0311 by the pxg provided better results than the modus and kbs

  • Like 1

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

KBS Tour for me. Reason? Fitter said I was launching too low with too much spin. Modus / i500 head helped with both. 

 

What's the goal here? What are you considering?

 

I’m in TourV right now. I am satisfied with the feel and trajectory but I would love something with a stiffer tip and a little more feel in the hands.

 

I’m a high ball hitter but it hasn’t necessarily caused me to lose much distance. 7 iron carry on a comfortable swing is between 165-175.

 

New irons are happening this spring / summer and I want to move away from what I had played before the Tour V and that was boardy / tipped DG’s.

 

  • TaylorMade SIM2 8* Mitsubishi Tensei 1K White 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Ben Hogan PTx Combo Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Vokey SM8 50 Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • TaylorMade MG2 TW 56 & 60 Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5
  • TaylorMade TP5

 

Western, NY

5.7 Index

Link to comment
Share on other sites

They're such a smooth shaft. Feel is fanatic, even in X flex. Nippon does a lot great job of producing a number of profiles and weights so there's a chance there is something in their lineup that will fit just about anyone. 


I became so accustomed to playing DG S300/400’s for years. The transition to KBS was easy but as I look forward to my next set of irons I am really looking forward to trying these.

The feedback across forums is remarkably consistent in how players enjoy playing Modus in their irons.
  • TaylorMade SIM2 8* Mitsubishi Tensei 1K White 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Ben Hogan PTx Combo Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Vokey SM8 50 Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • TaylorMade MG2 TW 56 & 60 Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5
  • TaylorMade TP5

 

Western, NY

5.7 Index

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’ve played numerous shafts in the past: DG S300, S400, X100. PX PXI 6.5, LZ 6.5, PX 6.0. KBS Tour, KBS Tour V.

Each time I’ve played a shaft, it was what was determined best in a fitting. Same with the Modus 120X I play now in my Z785 irons. Remember, each iron head has some different attributes than the next one, and maybe it spins the ball more or less, or launches the ball higher or lower, so the same shaft in two different irons may not be the best fit.

I just go with what works best with each head in the fitting. Heck, in this last iron fitting, what was best in the Honma 747 Tour V was not Modus, and it wasn’t the best in the Vega iron either........



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

  • Like 1

Driver: :cobra-small: King F9 Speedback/:callaway-small:Epic Max LS, Xphlexxx Busa 2 Liquid, XX stiff, 45”

Fwy:  :callaway-small: Epic Speed 4w, MMT 80X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 105X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4-10, :Nippon: Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

All but putter have Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Calibrate midsize built to oversize +1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’ve played kbs, px and dg s3/400 before. Nippon does a great job with their shafts. The modus have a great feel, but like with any shaft there may be an iron head they don’t work as well with. They were great in my p790 and as much as I wanted the kbs $ taper to work in them after loving them in my titleist Nippon worked better. I wanted them to work in the pxg 0311 by the pxg provided better results than the modus and kbs


That’s where the fun begins.
  • TaylorMade SIM2 8* Mitsubishi Tensei 1K White 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Ben Hogan PTx Combo Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Vokey SM8 50 Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • TaylorMade MG2 TW 56 & 60 Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5
  • TaylorMade TP5

 

Western, NY

5.7 Index

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, PMookie said:

I’ve played numerous shafts in the past: DG S300, S400, X100. PX PXI 6.5, LZ 6.5, PX 6.0. KBS Tour, KBS Tour V.

Each time I’ve played a shaft, it was what was determined best in a fitting. Same with the Modus 120X I play now in my Z785 irons. Remember, each iron head has some different attributes than the next one, and maybe it spins the ball more or less, or launches the ball higher or lower, so the same shaft in two different irons may not be the best fit.

I just go with what works best with each head in the fitting. Heck, in this last iron fitting, what was best in the Honma 747 Tour V was not Modus, and it wasn’t the best in the Vega iron either........



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I never gave much thought to my iron shafts, truth be told. It was DG’s and that was it. I’ll be lying if I said I wasn’t overwhelmed with the options available but I really appreciate you guys giving some good insight. 

  • Like 2
  • TaylorMade SIM2 8* Mitsubishi Tensei 1K White 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Ben Hogan PTx Combo Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Vokey SM8 50 Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • TaylorMade MG2 TW 56 & 60 Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5
  • TaylorMade TP5

 

Western, NY

5.7 Index

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, bens197 said:

 


That’s where the fun begins.

 

Yeah and why fittings are important. I was pretty set on p790 with kbs $ taper while warming up and then the tm rep came over and swapped shafts and out the modus in and it instants changed flight and feel.  When I went to my pxg fitting the course pro watched me hit while I warmed up and based on ball flight told the pxg rep whom was finishing getting everything setup what he saw. We started with modus and spin with 0311t was over 7000, swapped in the kbs and brought it down a hundred rpm or. Pxg rep then put in the px 6.0 and dropped it another 300ish rpm and distance and dispersion had balls falling right on top of each other. Everything was within 1 yard of each other. 

  • Like 2

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wasn't fit for the shafts I played prior to my Modus3's so it's kind of a moot point to even mention them. That said, every shaft I've swung, for me, feel like rebar. DG shafts for me just have 0 feel, and I remember feeling like my shoulder blades were straining during my fit.

  • Like 2

Driver: :titelist-small: TSi3 10* Ventus Red

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Modus 3 115 Wedge

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 w/ BGT Stability Tour

Ball: :titelist-small: ProV1x

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, yungkory said:

I wasn't fit for the shafts I played prior to my Modus3's so it's kind of a moot point to even mention them. That said, every shaft I've swung, for me, feel like rebar. DG shafts for me just have 0 feel, and I remember feeling like my shoulder blades were straining during my fit.

I get it...and I can relate. For years it was play boardy shafts that would help me flight the ball. I just got used to it. With all the improvements we see today it’s worth taking the time to really find something that won’t make me work so hard. 
 

Did you swing the 120’s before deciding on the 105’s?

  • TaylorMade SIM2 8* Mitsubishi Tensei 1K White 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Ben Hogan PTx Combo Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Vokey SM8 50 Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • TaylorMade MG2 TW 56 & 60 Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5
  • TaylorMade TP5

 

Western, NY

5.7 Index

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Was using s300 before and they just felt so much smoother and my timing was way better. I had gone through a variety of different shafts in fittings and something about them just clicked. Worst was the xp95 for myself, but throughout their lineup they have a stellar product and across nearly all different heads it was consistently the shaft that fit me the best. 

Should also mention using most fitting devices (Callaway swing thing and the Mizuno one) it recommended the 120s, however ended up with 105s because I personally felt I didn't have to quite work as hard.

  • Like 1

 ⛳🛄 as of Sept 24, 2020

SuperSpeed 2020 from 100-112 and climbing!

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic Sub Zero - Set at 10* with Aldila Rogue Max 65 gram 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ weight back

               :ping-small: G410 Crossover - 2 and 4 iron

Irons:     :ping-small: i210 5-U w/ Nippon Modus 105 stiff (2018 Tester)

Wedge:  :ping-small: Glide 2.0 54* 58* w/ Nippon Modus 105 Stiff

Putter:   :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7 35* and oversized grip (2019 Tester)

Balls:      :srixon-small: Z Star

Other:     :Arccos: 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, bens197 said:

I get it...and I can relate. For years it was play boardy shafts that would help me flight the ball. I just got used to it. With all the improvements we see today it’s worth taking the time to really find something that won’t make me work so hard. 
 

Did you swing the 120’s before deciding on the 105’s?

 

...  I love reading about others experience with shafts/clubs, especially if you know they have a similar swing speed, tempo and distance. I think it is a great place to start if you are looking for a new shaft or club, but you always need to demo yourself and preferably with that shaft in your club or your shaft in that club. I have never bought something without trying it first until I picked up set of Modus 105's. From everything I read, they should have been perfect for my game. I loved Nippon 950GH and Modus 120 shafts and there were no Modus 105's for me to demo here in Chicago unless I went to a Club Champion, Tour Spec, etc. So I bought a set on Ebay and installed them in my P790's and was surprised to find they were a terrible fit for me. 

... I hit them higher and shorter than my Modus 120's, and same trajectory but shorter than my 950GHs. They also felt very stout compared to those other 2 shafts which was a real head scratcher. My first round I was coming up a good 5-10 yds short and my second round I found myself over swinging to compensate, which led to poor directional control. And the killer is, I just can't explain it because on paper they should have been right between the 9650GH and Modus 120's and a great fit in my P790's. In 35 years I had never bought a shaft or club without hitting it first and making sure it was good for my swing, so going against my own common sense cost me. 

... I do not post this as a negative comment about the Modus 105's which are excellent shafts, and for all I know their performance may be perfect for me in a different head. At some point this summer I will install them in a different head to see if they work better than the P790's. So I post this as a cautionary tale about buying something without demoing it first. I should certainly know better because you really never know what is going to work for you until you actually hit it. 

Driver:   TaylorMade SIM2 Max 10.5* ... Diamana Ltd 60R
Fairway:  TaylorMade SIM2 Max 15* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
                 TaylorMade SIM2 Max 18* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
Utility:   TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Ltd 65R
              Taylor Made Sim Hybrid 22* ... Diamana Ltd 75R
Irons:    4-Pw Cobra King Tour MIM ... Steelfiber 95R
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 50* ... Steelfiber 95R
                 Vokey SM8 58* ... Steelfiber 95R
Putter:  Cleveland Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:      TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For those of you who currently play the Modus, what were you playing before you switched and what compelled you to make the change?


I was playing Project X iron and wedge shafts before I switched. I changed to the Modus 3 105s at the time in 2016 and have no plans to try any other iron shafts. I have the 130 S hard stepped in my irons now and 130 X soft stepped in my wedges. Ball flight is consistent off every club and they feel amazing. I’m #TeamModus allllllllll day!
  • Like 1

:taylormade-small: MySIM2 Max 9º | Fujikura Ventus Red 6S
:ping-small: G425 Max 3W 14.5º | Fujikura Ventus Red 7S
:ping-small: G425 3H 19º | Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 8S
:srixon-small: ZX7 4-PW | Project X LS 6.0
:cleveland-small: RTX ZipCore Tour Rack 50
º Mid, 54º Mid and Full-Face 60º Mid | Project X LS 6.0
:EVNROLL: ER5 | BGT Stability Tour
:taylormade-small: 2019 TP5x

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, chisag said:

 

...  I love reading about others experience with shafts/clubs, especially if you know they have a similar swing speed, tempo and distance. I think it is a great place to start if you are looking for a new shaft or club, but you always need to demo yourself and preferably with that shaft in your club or your shaft in that club. I have never bought something without trying it first until I picked up set of Modus 105's. From everything I read, they should have been perfect for my game. I loved Nippon 950GH and Modus 120 shafts and there were no Modus 105's for me to demo here in Chicago unless I went to a Club Champion, Tour Spec, etc. So I bought a set on Ebay and installed them in my P790's and was surprised to find they were a terrible fit for me. 

... I hit them higher and shorter than my Modus 120's, and same trajectory but shorter than my 950GHs. They also felt very stout compared to those other 2 shafts which was a real head scratcher. My first round I was coming up a good 5-10 yds short and my second round I found myself over swinging to compensate, which led to poor directional control. And the killer is, I just can't explain it because on paper they should have been right between the 9650GH and Modus 120's and a great fit in my P790's. In 35 years I had never bought a shaft or club without hitting it first and making sure it was good for my swing, so going against my own common sense cost me. 

... I do not post this as a negative comment about the Modus 105's which are excellent shafts, and for all I know their performance may be perfect for me in a different head. At some point this summer I will install them in a different head to see if they work better than the P790's. So I post this as a cautionary tale about buying something without demoing it first. I should certainly know better because you really never know what is going to work for you until you actually hit it. 

Sage advice as always 😊

Your experience with the 105 is baffling but also, could be as @RickyBobby_PR eluded to with some shafts just not jiving with certain heads.  Or...a gremlin.

Trial and error is always going to win and with the overwhelmingly positive reviews of these shafts, I’m hopeful to find one that fits me.  I’m going to start with the 120 in a 7 iron build and see how it shapes up against my existing sets.  I’ve been able to do my own club work since my grandfather passed on his tools to me.  If the feel and the ball flight work then it’ll be time to hone it with a monitor so I can get dialed in.. 

  • TaylorMade SIM2 8* Mitsubishi Tensei 1K White 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Ben Hogan PTx Combo Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Vokey SM8 50 Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • TaylorMade MG2 TW 56 & 60 Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5
  • TaylorMade TP5

 

Western, NY

5.7 Index

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, mr.hicksta said:

 


I was playing Project X iron and wedge shafts before I switched. I changed to the Modus 3 105s at the time in 2016 and have no plans to try any other iron shafts. I have the 130 S hard stepped in my irons now and 130 X soft stepped in my wedges. Ball flight is consistent off every club and they feel amazing. I’m #TeamModus allllllllll day!

 

I borrowed a friends set of 900 Tours with PX 6.0 two years ago and (to me) I thought they felt wonderful. PX is a notoriously firm feeling shaft so I’m interested in really seeing Modus for myself. 

  • Like 1
  • TaylorMade SIM2 8* Mitsubishi Tensei 1K White 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Ben Hogan PTx Combo Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Vokey SM8 50 Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • TaylorMade MG2 TW 56 & 60 Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5
  • TaylorMade TP5

 

Western, NY

5.7 Index

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just ordered a 7i .355 taper of the 120 to demo. The outdoor range is open year round so when I get it together I’ll offer some feedback.

Plenty of thank you’s to those who spoke up and gave their two cents.


Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

  • Like 2
  • TaylorMade SIM2 8* Mitsubishi Tensei 1K White 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Ben Hogan PTx Combo Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Vokey SM8 50 Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • TaylorMade MG2 TW 56 & 60 Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5
  • TaylorMade TP5

 

Western, NY

5.7 Index

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not playing specifically the Modus shafts, but I got fitted into the 950gh. So smooth, I've become a big fan of Nippon shafts. 

  • Like 2

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Current tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 4/27/2021
Driver:titelist-small: TSi 2 - Graphite Design AD-XC 6S
Hybrids:taylormade-small: SIM Max 3H, 4H - Matrix Ozik 85S
Irons:srixon-small: ZX5 5 - PW - Accra 95 icwt S
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2 54, CBX Full Face 58 - Nippon Modus 105 Wedge
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Two Ball Ten S Tour Lines - 31"
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had PX 5.5 before to lower down flight. After playing them for about 4 years, I guess my swing also evolved and I no longer needed low flight. So was fitted for the Modus 105, which gave me more speed and also was the only shaft that gave me consistent quarter-sized markings on the impact tape 

  • Like 1

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...