Testers Wanted: Sub 70 Pro V2 Fairway Woods ×

Over analysing putts

LeftyHawk

Some of the guys and I were talking about slow play at the pro level and even in our league. The discussion shifted to putting and why do some find it necessary to look at their putts from 4 different views, behind the ball, from the other side of the flag looking at their ball and from both sides. What do they hope to see?  Now I don't sink every putt, but I get pretty close when I don't and I only look at it from behind the ball, So I was asking the others what do you hope to see looking at the putt from all those views? Seems to me like you're just overloading/overthinking the putt. Not to mention slowing the pace of play on the green.

So I'd thought I'd put it to the spies out there, what do you see or hope to see looking at your putt from all those sides?

Chris

If you play, You know. If you don't play, you'll never understand!

In walking a circle around a putt I am able to feel the undulation changes allowing me to get a read on the putt. If you can find flat you know which way the putt will break. Also there are times that reading from opposite sides will give different reads. It is hard to focus on line up to hole without factoring in what you see behind hole. 

All that being said it absolutely can be done WITHOUT being slow. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

I am sure there is a lot to be learned by a lot of techniques.  What happens in reality...people see it on TV.....and do the same with out even knowing why they are doing it, but it looked cool on TV.  Then they go on to misjudge the putt by 3+ feet(speed or break).  It takes about 2 holes to see if what they are doing is meaningful (and shows impressive results)...or they are playing "golfer" instead of golf.

When I start lipping out more putts instead of mishitting/misreading....I will look from more angles. 

:Sub70:    849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 60g 

:tour-edge:   EXS 7wood  Tensei Blue R

:Sub70:    699 4-7i   USTRecoil 660 F3 R

:Sub70:    699 Pro 8-AW  USTRecoil 660 F3 R    

:Sub70:   JB Forged 54 and JB Forged 58 Full Face

:Sub70:    TAll Wide Blade putter

:918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9

Grint_Shield_Logo.svg The Grint Pro

On 8/17/2020 at 6:52 PM, THEZIPR23 said:

In walking a circle around a putt I am able to feel the undulation changes allowing me to get a read on the putt. If you can find flat you know which way the putt will break. Also there are times that reading from opposite sides will give different reads. It is hard to focus on line up to hole without factoring in what you see behind hole. 

All that being said it absolutely can be done WITHOUT being slow. 

I've gotten to the point on longer putts (> 15') I just walk both sides of the line and rarely read the putt from behind.  I'll feel more with my feet than I'll see with my eyes.  And as long as I'm first on the green, I can do it without holding up play.

What's in the bag:
Driver - TaylorMade Qi10 - Mitsubishi Diamana 60g (S)
3 Wood  - Callaway OG Big Bertha - RCH 90 (Firm)
5 Wood - Cobra Speed LD (L)
Driving Iron - New Level NLU-01
5i - PW - Wilson Staff D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - Cleveland CBX
58* - Cleveland CBX Full Face 2
Putter - Ping Craz-e
Bag - Sun Mountain 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  Titleist AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Depends on conditions and course familiarity. My local course that I'd consider home course, I pretty much know the greens enough to know breaks without studying them. Dried out or just rained adds some complexity because I am def more of a speed/control putter vs accuracy. (Will use break of green w speed vs trying to drill it center cup, strange but it works)

New course I will look about 10 feet behind the ball and if I cant tell will walk the other side but rarely happens

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

It kills me when the guys that I play with in league do this.

We’ve been playing the same course for 15 flipping years. Everyone knows that the ball breaks towards 62nd Avenue regardless of what you see.

In fact the more you look the more likely you are to see something that’s not there, IMO.

Now on a strange course a little extra look is fine but you most certainly can over analyze it.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: Taylor Made Xi10 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  R flex   - 44.25 

Fairways:  Ping G410 5, 7, 9 wood  Alta CB red 65 R flex

Hybrid:  Ping G410  26 degree  Alta CB Red 70 R flex 

Irons: Ping G430  7-PW, 45, 50 Alta CB black 65 soft R flex 

Wedges:  Ping 195 S54, E58

Wedges and irons are - 1/2” and one degree flat 

Putter: Sacks Parente Duke 32.5”

Ball: Titleist Pro VI or Callaway Chrome Soft X ls

While not at the same time I was fit for every club in my bag as well as the Pro VI ball. I use the chrome soft x ls on my league course.  It has much softer softer greens than the club that I belong to. 

I’m on a mission to shoot my age - lifetime lowest round is 66 and I’m currently 67. 

Similar to @revkev haven’t played the same course but most of the same courses and I know the greens pretty well. Quick look and I know the general break and doors mostly.

always look behind and occasionally if I am unsure or I’m walking from the opposite side I’ll look Dell the front. Other than that let it rip

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

I've been focusing on slowing down on the green. Just being deliberate, enough to take a deep breath and refocus. On a long putt, say 15+ feet, I've started to take a second from behind the hole. This may show some break in the last foot or two I didn't notice and it's helpful.

But otherwise I agree, stop reading your 8 footer for bogey from 6 directions. But hey, some guys gotta win that nickel.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

Archived