Unofficial Review: LA Golf AXS Red Iron Shafts

dlow206

***Disclaimer. My small side golf business has an account with LA Golf, but I did pay for the shafts, so it is NOT a sponsored review***

My body just couldn't take steel shafts anymore. Steel shafts were irritating some pre-existing injuries that I have, and while i am working to strengthen and overcome the injuries, I thought that I needed to make the switch back to graphite iron shafts, just better for me long-term. I wanted to try something different, not the Steelfibers, Recoil, MMT, etc. So I landed on the LA Golf AXS Red iron shafts. 

LA Golf does not do a good job of building awareness about their iron shafts, they are not even listed on their website. They are available at Club Champion, but I only know about these iron shafts because of my business. Here are the specs:

LA Golf AXS Red Iron shafts

• Weight: 86 grams (the raw uncut shafts actually weighed out between 82 to 84 grams)
  • Flex: Stiff (i double soft stepped them so they play a bit softer)
  • Tip Size: 0.370" (i tapered them to fit 0.355" hosels)
  • Torque: 3.4
  • Launch/Spin: Mid/Mid

E5C55B8B-3A0F-4D44-913E-9CA68740547B.JPG.87567bb308aa4d2cb5b63e707d63df6f.JPG

My Thoughts after One Round and a Range Session

• First of all, cosmetically I think they are best looking graphite iron shaft in the market
  • The weight is about 10 to 15 grams lighter than shafts that I played in the past, probably more towards the 15 grams lighter after cutting these down, since they are parallel shafts
  • I really like the feel of these shafts. I personally never have a good sense of the feel of loading/unloading the shaft, so I can't describe that portion. What I do notice with a shaft is whether or not the shaft has a kick at impact and how much kick it has. For me, these shafts have a pretty significant kick at impact, which I like the feel of. For the more aggressive hitters, this may be too much kick, but i tend to be on the smoother side and like shafts that kick
  • Ball flight was high. I generally hit the T300 irons high, so i don't necessarily think these shafts increased the height, but did not decrease the height either. In my opinion, these shafts are probably better classified as mid-high launch, but as always, it depends on each individual golfer
  • Dispersion seemed good. As a high handicapper, i always have a fair amount of misses, most commonly a block right and then an occasional pull probably as an overreaction to avoid the block. Had a few rightside misses today, but seemed to be less severe. Don't know if i can attribute that to the shafts or that i was swinging better.
  • Distance was slightly longer than normal. I need some more rounds to get a good gauge, but was hitting the ball as far or better than my best iron days. And today was with crappy, cold weather
  • So far, i like these shafts better than any of the other iron shafts I have played in the past. Part of it is the overall profile of the shafts, but probably a big part is also that I think i get along better with this weight class of shafts. 
  • Price. The retail price is pretty high at $100 a shaft. That is near the very top end of the graphite iron shaft market. I understand that this is not within everyone's budget, but if you are looking at high end shafts like the MMTs, then its worth a look at the LAGP iron shafts

Let me know if you guys have any questions for me that i can answer. 

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4