Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

One thing that seems to be common among the swings posted here and the comments made on swing feedback on wrx is hip depth. Lots of talk about shallowing or hip rotation, pressure/weight transfer but the proper movement of the hips gets overlooked 

Something that’s also a flaw in my swing.

Monte posted this video nugget on Instagram the other day illustrating how deep the trail hip gets in the backswing and how much deeper the lead hip gets in the downswing.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CbX824JpJUl/

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

4 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

One thing that seems to be common among the swings posted here and the comments made on swing feedback on wrx is hip depth. Lots of talk about shallowing or hip rotation, pressure/weight transfer but the proper movement of the hips gets overlooked 

Something that’s also a flaw in my swing.

Monte posted this video nugget on Instagram the other day illustrating how deep the trail hip gets in the backswing and how much deeper the lead hip gets in the downswing.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CbX824JpJUl/

I saw that, and certainly something I know I need to improve.  I have been working so much this winter on rotating my trail hip deeper to not sway, but I have neglected the lead hip.  Monte's post was very enlightening.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Love Monte's info on hips. The more I properly turn mine, the better the shot... and the better my back feels. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

27 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

I saw that, and certainly something I know I need to improve.  I have been working so much this winter on rotating my trail hip deeper to not sway, but I have neglected the lead hip.  Monte's post was very enlightening.

Same here. I’ve slacked off a little the last month or so from doing his wall drills which happen to be similar to one that Dan Carraher gave me a few years back.

The lack of hip depth is why we so many have varying levels of early extension or those that don’t early extend but still move towards the ball in transition and downswing.

14 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

Love Monte's info on hips. The more I properly turn mine, the better the shot... and the better my back feels. 

This is a key thing I noticed over the years. If my hips are moving properly the “torque” on the lower back isn’t there and I feel a lot better after a range session or round 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Really, really helpful. This concept has been big for me this offseason. Like many of you, I've done a ton of work over the past couple of (off)seasons to try to get the club to shallow through transition. This off-season, more than any other, I've begun to understand how much that move also depends on swing sequence and what the lower body is doing. Short version: if you can't clear the space between you and the ball, you have to come into impact steep and from the outside. There's literally no way to get the club there if your body is there.

So just reinforcing what @RickyBobby_PR's post of Monty's post said, maybe a slightly different way that helped me get it: he talked about what moves, and I've found it helpful to think about what's stationary. On the backswing, the lead hip is the pivot point for the hip turn. The lead hip stays where it is: the trail hip gets deeper. On the downswing, it is reversed: the trail hip is now the pivot point, and the lead hip moves deeper.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

54 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Short version: if you can't clear the space between you and the ball, you have to come into impact steep and from the outside. There's literally no way to get the club there if your body is there.

Exactly and if one does shallow a little or a lot but moves toward the ball without early extending the compensation to create that space becomes even harder. 

9 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Exactly and if one does shallow a little or a lot but moves toward the ball without early extending the compensation to create that space becomes even harder. 

That is precisely my issue. I don't have a lot of classic early extension, but my entire body (from the DTL view) sways toward to ball as I get to the top of my swing.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

1 minute ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

That is precisely my issue. I don't have a lot of classic early extension, but my entire body (from the DTL view) sways toward to ball as I get to the top of my swing.

I have that problem sometimes. Mostly though I don’t create the hip depth and/or I get to much forearm rotation and my compensation is to steepen the shaft and then early extend and dump the trail shoulder to shallow. Causes me to get stuck and too much from the inside. Ends up causing two way miss if my timing is off.