Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

My SuperSpeed training thoughts

Hello World

Hopefully this review will help anybody who's on the fence about getting one of these things.

I bought the SuperSpeed training system back in December 2021 and used them religiously until March 2022.

Here's a quick summary on my progress:

• driver pre workout: started at 100, ended at 105
  • green stick: started at 115, ended at 121
  • blue stick: started at 106, ended at 112
  • red stick: started at 98, ended at 106
  • driver post workout: started at 107, ended at 111.

Just by looking at the start and end speeds, these speeds were amazing. I started with a driver swing speed of 100 mph and got up all the way to 111 mph (no ball). It was such a fast and furious gain, especially since my goal was to get to 112 by the end of 2022. Unfortunately, none of this translated to the course, while I was swinging at 107 mph every single shot had a 30-40 yard slice, and I was have always been a draw player. I've been playing golf for over 20 years, started since little, and have always, always played a right to left ball. One way misses were my bread and butter, and after the training, I had every which way misses. Upon filming myself, I realized that my swing had evolved into a much more hideous form. It was so bad that it was unrecognizable. Basically, I had developed this ridiculous habit where I was flipping my club at the ball. I've always flipped at the golf ball, but this was ten times worse. Exasperated, I stopped the training altogether and looked to gain back form. It took me probably a month (I work a full time job and have a kid, and hence the long time) before I regained form. 

So here's what I'll say about speed training, I think it works with these two HUGE caveats: 

1. You have very sound swing fundamentals and you employ the same swing during these speed training sessions.

• I know the SuperSpeed training people state that you should go all out and not care about swing mechanics and just try to up the mphs. IMO, I think this will ingrain bad habits into your swing. I think that each session should be employed with the same exact swing that you use on the course, except of course at a faster speed.

2. You have time and don't mind re-finding and re-tooling your swing

• It's inevitable that after speed training that you won't find the face, even the pros go thru this
  • It's very important to hit balls after a workout, the ideal situation would be to take the sticks to the range to do the training and hit balls post workout. I never hit balls during my Dec 2022 - Mar 2022 speed training. I had no idea how much my ball flight had evolved. By then it was too late and it took me too long to get back my desired ball flight.

If I could do it again, I would not buy the speed sticks because I just don't have the time. I do believe in speed training, but my definition of speed training is a much simpler one, just go full out on every single drive in the range. Maybe one of these days, I'll try the Bryson speed training system, where all he does is hit drives at various speeds. That being said, while I do go full out on every swing, I make sure that that flight is the correct one, if I see that I'm banana slicing it, I dial it back, and then rinse and repeat. Even with my four month hiatus from the speed sticks, I noticed that I'm steadily regaining my club head speed. I used to be at 107 mph while hitting the golf ball, I'm back at 106 mph. 

I hope this helps someone. 

Cheers. 

Driver: Callaway Mavrik Std 9* - Fujikura Atmos Tour Spec 6 Black S

Wood: Callaway Epic Speed 15* - Mitsubishi MMT 70 Graphite

Irons: Mizuno MP-32 - Project X 6.0

Wedges: Callaway JAWS MD5 Platinum Chrome 52* and 60*, TaylorMade MG3 56*

Putter: Bettinardi 2021 Studio Stock 18 Putter

For starters, welcome. 

I had a similar experience to yours - almost identical speeds and gains with all clubs.  However I found that the blips lasted about two weeks and then I got used to the speed and my baby draw returned.  I never had an issue with slicing but did have an issue with the club staying open and hitting blocks during the two jumps that I experienced. 

By the time I was done (about 30 weeks) I had gained 10 mph's of driver speed - from 84 to 94 mph's - for real, on the course, usable distance - my handicap had ballooned from a 1 to a 9 even though I moved up a set of tees - when I have time to play I've gotten it back down to a 4 and it's an easy 6 even playing less than once a week (I'm 65 but still working full time.)  I've been able to keep the speed by doing periodic training (once a week) and now switching over the the stack system.  

I'd say that SuperSpeed would be willing to look at a video of your swing and make suggestions, if you are still having issues - I took a lesson and went for a fitting.  The only thing that changed was a heavier shaft for my driver, everything else was fine even with the speed gains.  

Bryson used SuperSpeed if I'm not mistaken - he did a variety of things to boost his speed much of which don't make sense for us because we aren't 30 year old professional athletes.  Most guys and gals on tour use overspeed training of some sort these days.  

Good luck!

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

On 7/13/2022 at 9:35 AM, revkev said:

I've been able to keep the speed by doing periodic training (once a week) and now switching over the the stack system.  

Thanks for your insights.

@revkev can you elaborate why you felt it necessary to switch to the stack system? Is it because of the more tailored training?

Driver: Callaway Mavrik Std 9* - Fujikura Atmos Tour Spec 6 Black S

Wood: Callaway Epic Speed 15* - Mitsubishi MMT 70 Graphite

Irons: Mizuno MP-32 - Project X 6.0

Wedges: Callaway JAWS MD5 Platinum Chrome 52* and 60*, TaylorMade MG3 56*

Putter: Bettinardi 2021 Studio Stock 18 Putter

44 minutes ago, Hello World said:

Thanks for your insights.

@revkev can you elaborate why you felt it necessary to switch to the stack system? Is it because of the more tailored training?

Yes - I had success with Superspeed but it was way too many swings for me, particularly at my age.  I wasn't getting any bang for the buck anymore and it was hurting my body.  I know I'm working out with the Stack but recover far quicker.  Also Stack calls for normal full swings (fastest swings that you would make on the course) as part of its training.  I'm starting to feel as if I'm able to make those swings for real. They certainly translated for me on the course yesterday through the bag.  I hit a lot of very solid shots.  Measured distance is often dicey in Florida, I'm at least 20 yards shorter in the summer than I am from December to May - when it's dry.  

Relative to my playing partners I was very long yesterday.  When we both nutted them I was a bit longer than a guy who is normally 20 yards longer than I - however he hits them low and looses even more than most when it's wet.  I was much longer than the other guy I played with, but I am normally longer than him.  

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

• 5 months later...

Sorry for the late reply to this thread, it has probably run its course but figured this question is worth a shot.

I am 9 weeks in to the protocol, so just about to start the last week of protocol 2.  The last couple sessions I feel like my speed had actually took a step back, gotten slower.  Did anyone else see this?

Strangely, it’s only with my normal, dominate hand.  For example, I was seeing 125 - 128 last week right handed, 122 left handed with the normal no step or stop swing.  This week Swinging left handed I was still seeing 122 to 124 but right handed only about 118.

Any thoughts?

Edited by Victor Barger

• 2 months later...

I'm 52 and use the system from time to time. It seems to be good for my aging body. However, I see a lot of people using it that have a deeply flawed swing and it's just going to more deeply ingrain the bad habits. Technique should always come first and feel a lot of young golfers will get a higher swing speed but they might also slice or hook more making their drives shorter. 

• 1 month later...
On 7/10/2022 at 1:11 AM, Hello World said:

So here's what I'll say about speed training, I think it works with these two HUGE caveats: 

1. You have very sound swing fundamentals and you employ the same swing during these speed training sessions.

• I know the SuperSpeed training people state that you should go all out and not care about swing mechanics and just try to up the mphs. IMO, I think this will ingrain bad habits into your swing. I think that each session should be employed with the same exact swing that you use on the course, except of course at a faster speed.

2. You have time and don't mind re-finding and re-tooling your swing

• It's inevitable that after speed training that you won't find the face, even the pros go thru this
  • It's very important to hit balls after a workout, the ideal situation would be to take the sticks to the range to do the training and hit balls post workout. I never hit balls during my Dec 2022 - Mar 2022 speed training. I had no idea how much my ball flight had evolved. By then it was too late and it took me too long to get back my desired ball flight.

These are the two things that I have found most important with Superspeed as well especially the first one. I have found if i get too speed focused my on course swing starts to suffer. Great review and welcome to the forum!

Driver:  :titleist-small: TSR3 8°, set to A1, Graphite Design UB 7X 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small:SIM 3 Wood 15°, Aldila Rouge Silver 7X

3 Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 18°, Ventus Blue 8S

2 Utility: :srixon-small: ZX Utility, LA Golf Tour AXS Blue, (15th club)

4i-AW:  :srixon-small:ZX7, Tour Issue Dynamic Gold 120's S400

56°: :Sub70: TAIII, Dynamic Gold S400

60° :Sub70: TAIII, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter: :L.A.B.: Mezz1 Max

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour BX

Forum Reviews: 

:Sub70: Official Member Review Sub 70 TAIII Wedges

:Nippon: Official Member Review Zelos 7 Shaft Review

:vokey-small:Unofficial Vokey SM8 and Wedge & Wedge Works Review 

:srixon-small:Unofficial Srixon 2021 ZX7 Iron Review

:titleist-small: Unofficial TSR3 Review

On 12/24/2022 at 3:25 PM, Victor Barger said:

Sorry for the late reply to this thread, it has probably run its course but figured this question is worth a shot.

I am 9 weeks in to the protocol, so just about to start the last week of protocol 2.  The last couple sessions I feel like my speed had actually took a step back, gotten slower.  Did anyone else see this?

Strangely, it’s only with my normal, dominate hand.  For example, I was seeing 125 - 128 last week right handed, 122 left handed with the normal no step or stop swing.  This week Swinging left handed I was still seeing 122 to 124 but right handed only about 118.

Any thoughts?

I've found that there could be a multiple of reasons from mental to the clothes worn to the nights sleep before. I  tend to do my speed training in the morning and have found that my quickest sessions have been days when I get a really great nights sleep the night before. I also found that on the mental side if I put too much pressure of what I expect my speed to be no matter how hard I swing I never hit those numbers. 

I'm a few months late but I hope this helps!

Driver:  :titleist-small: TSR3 8°, set to A1, Graphite Design UB 7X 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small:SIM 3 Wood 15°, Aldila Rouge Silver 7X

3 Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 18°, Ventus Blue 8S

2 Utility: :srixon-small: ZX Utility, LA Golf Tour AXS Blue, (15th club)

4i-AW:  :srixon-small:ZX7, Tour Issue Dynamic Gold 120's S400

56°: :Sub70: TAIII, Dynamic Gold S400

60° :Sub70: TAIII, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter: :L.A.B.: Mezz1 Max

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour BX

Forum Reviews: 

:Sub70: Official Member Review Sub 70 TAIII Wedges

:Nippon: Official Member Review Zelos 7 Shaft Review

:vokey-small:Unofficial Vokey SM8 and Wedge & Wedge Works Review 

:srixon-small:Unofficial Srixon 2021 ZX7 Iron Review

:titleist-small: Unofficial TSR3 Review