Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Liv Golf Central Thread: Events and News

Thin2win
Message added by GolfSpy_APH,

We haven't had to say this in a while, but as a reminder to all that we are keeping this thread to the golf/signings and related content.

We are not going to get into the politics of it all and where the money is coming from etc.

If you wish to comment on that aspect of it all please feel free to do so on other platforms. Not here.

While much of LIV has become more accepted over the years there are still those who feel strongly against it and the backing. We respect all those who are both for and against LIV, however will not tolerate going into the weeds of all the "other stuff"

If you are not sure whether you should post something either ask a mod or don't post it. 

As we have before we will continue to moderate, remove or edit posts that go against our moral code and members will receive alerts or warnings to follow.

Thank you

Forum Staff 

2 hours ago, GrahamB1967 said:

Anyone else still old school enough to use Facebook keep seeing lots of pro-LIV / anti PGA and OWGR "Suggested for You" posts?  They seem to be mainly from Australian or MENA Tour related golf or news sites.   Despite Snoozing them repeatedly something similar just keeps dropping in.

'Suggested for You' is supposedly just AI based and not paid for but LIV biased stuff seems to buck the trend despite me turning them off 🤔

Best / worst  one I have seen was attacking Tiger's form in the limited number of run outs he now has.  Horrid, passive aggressive drivel trying to offset the McDowell / "Glad He's Leftie" factor from a LIV perspective in the OWGR debate.

I’ve deleted FB & Twitter quite some time ago and Instagram is getting close to deletion. 

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

4 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Have to feel bad for the guys who are 40-48 and when bigger names come in they get the boot and are left out to dry.

I have little sympathy for them. They knew or should have known the career risk they were taking, and most of them got multi million dollar contracts in exchange. I doubt they feel bad, made more $ than they would have slugging it out on the PGA Tour where they aren’t competitive any more.

Don’t care either way but I wonder if LIV players will be allowed on the Senior Tour?

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

4 hours ago, Rickp said:

I’ve deleted FB & Twitter quite some time ago and Instagram is getting close to deletion. 

I do not go "mainstream" on FB so to speak. I got on there when I was bedridden for some of the golf groups like the Persimmon Golf Society and such. When I got on there old racing friends looked me up and so I am involved with several racing groups. Old Trucking buds looked me up so I am on several trucking groups. Most of the political BS  when I see that stuff I block it and that crap people post from tik toc I block it too. I have never done tweeter or instagram

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

6 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

I do not go "mainstream" on FB so to speak. I got on there when I was bedridden for some of the golf groups like the Persimmon Golf Society and such. When I got on there old racing friends looked me up and so I am involved with several racing groups. Old Trucking buds looked me up so I am on several trucking groups. Most of the political BS  when I see that stuff I block it and that crap people post from tik toc I block it too. I have never done tweeter or instagram

I’m only on Instagram because Gkids & daughters post pics on there.

Rick

Left Hand, 

10 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Liv does have a limited field of 48 so they can only accept so many and they continue to try and be slick and backdoor their way into OWGR and have their players speak loads of nonsense which isn't helping them gain any points in the eyes of the public. More just dividing those thoughts to greater extremes. Have to feel bad for the guys who are 40-48 and when bigger names come in they get the boot and are left out to dry. Some may think the PGA tour is leaving lower end players out with the new strategy and events, but at least their fields have 72 plus. 

... It has turned into Jerry Springer. I play with lots of strangers and nobody has ever brought up LIV. Ever. I have not looked at so much as a highlight of a LIV event. I don't see it anywhere or have any reason to even be aware of LIV other than the Springer like clickbait from seemingly every golf site I get email from. Sometimes there are 6 topics and 5 are about LIV. 🙄  Reminds me of a car accident on the highway and a few slow down to look while others ignore it and just want to be on their way.

... Phil is stumping for LIV and trashing the PGA TOUR. Reed is upset about OWGR and evidently everyone else in the world. McDowell doesn't understand why past fans won't give him a big hug, Ryder Cup status and OWGR points. Many PGA players have said if you left for the obscene LIV cash good for you but stop talking about us, OWGR and Magors. None of this is any different than Day 1 of the opening event and nothing new has come to light. Unless some have soured on LIV absolutely nothing has changed. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

^^^ I play regularly with 20+ guys and once/week in a league of over 60. LIV almost never comes up, and when it does the discussion is very short. No one seems particularly pro or con, just not interested. But my cohort is all early seniors.

• Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

27 minutes ago, Middler said:

^^^ I play regularly with 20+ guys and once/week in a league of over 60. LIV almost never comes up, and when it does the discussion is very short. No one seems particularly pro or con, just not interested. But my cohort is all early seniors.

Same with our groups, LIV is a non issue.

Rick

Left Hand, 

On 10/14/2022 at 2:48 PM, chisag said:

... It has turned into Jerry Springer. I play with lots of strangers and nobody has ever brought up LIV. Ever. I have not looked at so much as a highlight of a LIV event. I don't see it anywhere or have any reason to even be aware of LIV other than the Springer like clickbait from seemingly every golf site I get email from. Sometimes there are 6 topics and 5 are about LIV. 🙄  Reminds me of a car accident on the highway and a few slow down to look while others ignore it and just want to be on their way.

... Phil is stumping for LIV and trashing the PGA TOUR. Reed is upset about OWGR and evidently everyone else in the world. McDowell doesn't understand why past fans won't give him a big hug, Ryder Cup status and OWGR points. Many PGA players have said if you left for the obscene LIV cash good for you but stop talking about us, OWGR and Magors. None of this is any different than Day 1 of the opening event and nothing new has come to light. Unless some have soured on LIV absolutely nothing has changed. 

I think that competition is almost always a good thing, and as such I am rooting for the LIV Tour to succeed. I have watched a little bit of the LIV streaming coverage, but I am not a big-time watcher of golf on TV (I would much rather be out playing golf than sitting in front of a TV watching the pros play).

One thing that totally turns me off about the PGA Tour is Jay Monahan. His smug, “I’m the smartest guy and everything that I say is 100% correct” attitude just plain pisses me off.

Edited by funkyjudge
typos

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - Callaway Paradym 3HL, Newton Motion Fairway shaft, 4-Dot

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Callaway Paradym, HZRDUS Silver Gen 4, S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - (currently in flux, but usually an Evnroll 8V

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Ghost Golf Maverick Black Ops

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

15 hours ago, chisag said:

Eamon Lynch skewered the latest LIV players nonsense:

By emphasizing the name recognition of its competitors, LIV is creating a false narrative: these stars are worthy of points and the circuit is being treated unfairly. But individual players are irrelevant to the question of ranking points. What matters is whether the tour on which they compete complies with OWGR rules. LIV doesn’t and has signaled no intent to do so, instead pretending that its players came from other tours with an inalienable right to points. …

The gaslighting efforts of Mickelson’s colleagues are most feverishly being directed to the absence of world ranking points. LIV events meet almost none of the established criteria to qualify for points. Undeterred, MBS’s flaxen-haired finger puppet, Greg Norman, seems to think those rules don’t apply and has dispatched players hither and yon to insist that LIV receive immediate accreditation, a process that usually takes up to two years.

Edited by LICC

Here's hoping Peter Uihlein give Brooks a whupping.  It's clear to me now why Koepka was a no show on my FTx team this past season.  Despite his "PGA Tour all the way" baloney leading into LIV's launch, his head was filled with images of Brinks trucks and playing events in shorts. 😒

But, that said, got to tip the hat to this shot. "Going for it from 264 yards"... not an issue for me. 🙂

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

Someone early in this thread predicted this. Get ready for the LIV Masters, LIV British Open, LIV US Open …

Majed Al Sorour, CEO of Saudi Golf Federation, Golf Saudi and Director of Newcastle United Football Club following a consortium-led purchase by the Kingdom's Public Investment Fund, has insisted "I will create my own Majors" if that is the case. 

"For now, the Majors are siding with the Tour, and I don’t know why," Sorour told the New Yorker. "If the Majors decide not to have our players play? I will celebrate. I will create my own Majors for my players.“

On 10/14/2022 at 2:48 PM, chisag said:

Darn good synposis and it summs up my feelings exactly. Around here lots play golf but do not keep up with any of the tours. Other stick and ball sports from pros to college they can tell you anything you want to know. I know I get amused on various feeds on FB and sometimes I read them and sometimes I ignore them. I think I said it before that this whole mess reminds me of the professional wrestling soap opera in the 80s and 90s

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

1 hour ago, BIG STU said:

Darn good synposis and it summs up my feelings exactly. Around here lots play golf but do not keep up with any of the tours. Other stick and ball sports from pros to college they can tell you anything you want to know. I know I get amused on various feeds on FB and sometimes I read them and sometimes I ignore them. I think I said it before that this whole mess reminds me of the professional wrestling soap opera in the 80s and 90s

You Guys make good points. Stu, I think the wrestling back then was more entertaining.    
I mentioned B4 everyone here is a golfer and LIV is never mentioned at all.  At one time Bryson was the morning pregolf discussion not anymore, same with DJ, well at least Paulina.    
Maybe a different front man might help.  GN is not exactly well loved.

Rick

Left Hand, 

the way i see liv now is they have around 25 "A" players and 23 also rans , if liv can pick up 10 more pga tour "A" players this pro golf thing will get very interesting .

if it did happen the pga tour would be up against the wall and both sides would start talking together and settle this mes .

with the pga tour having a top 20 list ( who knows who they are ) and a so called tour within a tour the outside players it will be very easy for liv to pick up at least 10 players out of the top 40 tour players 

make a list of who you think the top 20 from the pga tour and liv and you will find it would be a very close match at this time , i really don't know who i would bet on .

at the same time if the 26 through 48 were matched up the pga tour guys would beat liv very very bad as the tour is very deep with excellent players 

Edited by shootmyage

1 hour ago, shootmyage said:

the way i see liv now is they have around 25 "A" players and 23 also rans , if liv can pick up 10 more pga tour "A" players this pro golf thing will get very interesting .

if it did happen the pga tour would be up against the wall and both sides would start talking together and settle this mes .

with the pga tour having a top 20 list ( who knows who they are ) and a so called tour within a tour the outside players it will be very easy for liv to pick up at least 10 players out of the top 40 tour players 

make a list of who you think the top 20 from the pga tour and liv and you will find it would be a very close match at this time , i really don't know who i would bet on .

at the same time if the 26 through 48 were matched up the pga tour guys would beat liv very very bad as the tour is very deep with excellent players 

Who are the 25 "A" players? I think that is pushing it. Probably more like 10 "A" players, and even that is questionable based on what you consider "A".

2 minutes ago, LICC said:

Who are the 25 "A" players? I think that is pushing it. Probably more like 10 "A" players, and even that is questionable based on what you consider "A".

c. smith-d.johnson-bryson-koepka-garcia-westwood-ancer-wolff-schwartzel-reed-louis o.-gooch-poulter-niemann-stenson-grace-varner-leishman-tringale-ortiz-na-mcdowell-chacarra -mickelson

chacarra is a very good golfer ,  

i  should have said 20  not 25 A players , 20 was easy but 25 got kind of slow .

32 minutes ago, shootmyage said:

c. smith-d.johnson-bryson-koepka-garcia-westwood-ancer-wolff-schwartzel-reed-louis o.-gooch-poulter-niemann-stenson-grace-varner-leishman-tringale-ortiz-na-mcdowell-chacarra -mickelson

i  should have said 20  not 25 A players , 20 was easy but 25 got kind of slow .

Dunno about a few of them🤔
The years ahead will definitely be interesting!

Rick

Left Hand, 

41 minutes ago, shootmyage said:

More like 4-5 at most. The rest are average pros

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

55 minutes ago, shootmyage said:

Do you mean A for playing ability or for popularity/name recognition? For playing ability, you need to drop Mickelson, Stenson, Schwartzel, Wolff and probably a few others. 

I found this interesting in the New Yorker article. If LIV doesn't get a lot more traction in the next three years, who knows what they will do:

Sorour said the P.I.F. had funding for liv through 2025. By then, he imagined, they would begin to cash out by selling off ownership in their twelve teams. The franchise model is how liv plans to recoup its investment. Sorour envisions owners building home golf courses, like a stadium for a football team. liv had given certain players equity stakes in their teams. (Some of the reported compensation figures, such as the seven to eight hundred million allegedly offered to Woods, included equity and potential sponsorships. Of the Woods offer, Sorour said, “It’s not straight-out money. I never offered him that money, not even close to that.”) There have been conflicting reports about the valuations that liv puts on its teams, which consist of four players: a hundred million, half a billion, a billion. Sorour told me it would vary by team. Outside liv, the numbers are treated skeptically. McIlroy told me, “People have to remember, golf is a niche sport. All you’re getting is four golfers. And I get it, some M.L.S. teams are worth seven hundred million dollars. But it’s all tied to the economics of the league, and right now that league doesn’t have any economics.”

58 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

More like 4-5 at most. The rest are average pros

i think the top 10 on liv could play the top 10 pga players  and it would be a very close match , after the top 10 tour players there are no great players on either side , juut pro golfers that could have a good week like bradley

7 minutes ago, shootmyage said:

i think the top 10 on liv could play the top 10 pga players  and it would be a very close match , after the top 10 tour players there are no great players on either side , juut pro golfers that could have a good week like bradley

Rory, Scheffler, Rahm, Cantlay, Schauffle, Justin Thomas, Morikawa, Zalatoris, Fitzpatrick and Hovland, or replace some with Spieth, Finau, or Cam Young.

Against Cam Smith, DJ, and then who?- Bryson, Koepka, Reed, Gooch, Ancer, Niemann, Lieshman (?), Oosthiuzen (?)

The LIV top-10 aren't close to the PGA Tour top-10.

43 minutes ago, shootmyage said:

On a week to week basis these guys can compete on the pga tour

c. smith, d.johnson, bryson, koepka

these guys are going to have a chance on certain courses and dependent on who is in the field. They will crack top 25 most weeks but not be in contention 

ancer, reed, gooch, niemann, varner, leishman, tringale

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

27 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

On a week to week basis these guys can compete on the pga tour

c. smith, d.johnson, bryson, koepka

these guys are going to have a chance on certain courses and dependent on who is in the field. They will crack top 25 most weeks but not be in contention 

ancer, reed, gooch, niemann, varner, leishman, tringale

one thing about all the tours is we will never see a player like tiger woods , of the players we have none  on the tour that will play 1000 rounds and win 82 of them , finish in the top 10  200 times . i think after 2023 we will see who does the best in the pga tour super $$ events ., 

2 hours ago, shootmyage said:

one thing about all the tours is we will never see a player like tiger woods , of the players we have none  on the tour that will play 1000 rounds and win 82 of them , finish in the top 10  200 times . i think after 2023 we will see who does the best in the pga tour super $$ events ., 

Correct and even with that there are still top level players on tour and then everybody else.

the second list of guys aren’t going to get a win every year and may go multiple years between them.

21 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Correct and even with that there are still top level players on tour and then everybody else.

the second list of guys aren’t going to get a win every year and may go multiple years between them.

that's what i am trying to say , rory is around 1/2 stroke better than any of the top 20 ( big $$$ events ) , even 1-2 strokes better than number 20 , after their top rounds it will be interesting to see the spread between the top 20 scores , i would think 6-8 strokes 1st to number 20 , it will be great watching them , so the top 20 players are not that far apart .. 

Edited by shootmyage

Best summary of LIV v PGA I’ve read so far, congrats MGS. https://mygolfspy.com/liv-golf-rival-leagues-legacies-and-the-color-of-money/

• Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

The article doesn’t say anything new, same arguments, and it comes down to money. That’s it. “Whataboutism” or any other redirection of facts doesn’t make it right. What’s right is right, what’s wrong is wrong. Classic psychology of defending and redirecting by those that support it. One can justify anything if they want to. Anyway. Nothing new to see, so I’m out again. 

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Just now, PMookie said:

The article doesn’t say anything new, same arguments, and it comes down to money. That’s it. “Whataboutism” or any other redirection of facts doesn’t make it right. What’s right is right, what’s wrong is wrong. Classic psychology of defending and redirecting by those that support it. One can justify anything if they want to. Anyway. Nothing new to see, so I’m out again. 

That is why he mentioned summary.

Nothing really new will come out till February when the DP world tour trial vs LIV players is done. Till then it's just a lot of talk and speculation. 

Personally the LIV stuff has died down do to very low viewership and lack of players jumping over. I only actually realize there is an event going on when the NLU recap pod mentions it. Outside of that hardly hear a peep about it.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

14 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

That is why he mentioned summary.

Nothing really new will come out till February when the DP world tour trial vs LIV players is done. Till then it's just a lot of talk and speculation. 

Personally the LIV stuff has died down do to very low viewership and lack of players jumping over. I only actually realize there is an event going on when the NLU recap pod mentions it. Outside of that hardly hear a peep about it.

In my view, it will forever come down to the same thing: money, and will always need to be justified in some manner for someone to feel “good” about joining. World ranking points will just make it more attractive, the golfer still has to convince himself to do it. Barba’s pieces are excellent, this one included, and it sounds like Saudi money is going to be further thrown into the faces of folks in other industries for years to come because they know if given enough cash, a person’s greed will almost always succumb to the “almighty dollar” and they’ll justify having participated. Evil stuff…

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX