Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Who has dealt with either tennis or golfer's elbow?

DGA3

Otherwise known as lateral or medial epicondylitis. 

I had a bout with it in early August, and - after taking a couple of weeks off and then doing some of my own rehab based on watching numerous YouTube PT videos - was able to resume playing while wearing a forearm brace for extra support/protection. Everything went well while playing 2-3 times a week for about two months.

However, in mid-October, I had played on a Tuesday and Wednesday, and was asked to compete in a Ryder Cup tournament on the weekend, which sounded like fun, so I entered. Everything went fine until Sunday, when - after warming up thoroughly - I stepped to the first tee, swung my driver, made contact with the ball, and BAM! The pain returned, much in the fashion of a guitar string snapping.

I figure that although I felt as if my initial injury was completely healed, it probably was only about 90%, which allowed me to get away with playing 2-3 times a week. However, pushing it to 4 times, along with long, extensive warmups for the tournament, was just too much for my forearm tendons to take, and they snapped.

And yes, I went to an Ortho both times, and they basically recommended rest, stretching, and wearing a wrist brace for a couple of weeks. Right now I am fortunate that it is not golf season here in central Ohio, and I can rest it even more, while continuing to do some of my self-discovered therapies (hand gripper device and a Theraband Flexbar).

Hopefully, by the Spring I will be ready to once again play golf injury free. I just have to pace myself and not overdo it like the last time!

What about you?

Who here has experienced either tennis or golfer's elbow? How have you dealt with it, and what have you discovered helps you heal?

Sore subject 🤣

When I first installed my simulator (Optishot2), I didn't have a net/ cage yet, so I hung a white king size sheet to project on to. I set the simulator up for 'no ball" and was swinging for the fences for a few weeks. All the swinging without a ball to absorb impact was putting all the stress into my left elbow joint and in essence hyper extending it. Each day the elbow was getting worse. I finally figured out it was the no ball golf. I took a month off (It was winter anyway) and it got better on its own. From then on, I hit the hard foam balls until the net was in place. From then on, I played rounds on the simulator with the hard foam balls but when working on launch, spin and such I practice with real balls.  Knock on wood, I haven't had that issue again.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

49 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Sore subject 🤣

When I first installed my simulator (Optishot2), I didn't have a net/ cage yet, so I hung a white king size sheet to project on to. I set the simulator up for 'no ball" and was swinging for the fences for a few weeks. All the swinging without a ball to absorb impact was putting all the stress into my left elbow joint and in essence hyper extending it. Each day the elbow was getting worse. I finally figured out it was the no ball golf. I took a month off (It was winter anyway) and it got better on its own. From then on, I hit the hard foam balls until the net was in place. From then on, I played rounds on the simulator with the hard foam balls but when working on launch, spin and such I practice with real balls.  Knock on wood, I haven't had that issue again.

I just started experiencing the same thing.  My simulator is not quite up and running yet; turf going in soon and the SkyTrak should be here tomorrow.  However, I have started SuperSpeed training again and hitting foam balls into my net.  That will be replaced with the impact screen when everything is here.  I'm hitting off the Real Feel mat, which I have used now for two years with no problems.  After considerable warmup exercises I'm starting to feel soreness in my left elbow.  I don't think it's from hitting the mat, because that's not when it hurts; could be from extending down the line with the SS sticks and driver air swings.  I haven't played golf for almost 3 weeks; snow and below freezing temps, so no real ball impact yet.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I have had a couple of bouts with golf elbow in my left arm.  Both times I have worn a wrap and continued to play mainly on the weekends.  It took several weeks, but the pain finally went away.

Ping G430 Max 10k 9° w/UST MP5 L-Flex

Ping G425 3 wood 14.5° w/Ventus Velocore Blue-6R tipped 1"

Cleveland Halo Launcher 5 wood 18° with Project X Cypher R

Callaway Rogue 19° hybrid regular

PXG Gen 3 0311XF 5 - G steel regular

Corey Paul wedges bent to 53° and 58°

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5 putter

Mike Carrol has an excersise that will help heal golfers elbow. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

I have been battling this in my left arm for several months now.  I switched to graphite shafts in my irons and wedges about a month ago and can already tell a huge difference.  Granted, I am not playing golf outside right now but I have a simulator in my building and hit balls almost everyday.

Driver: :taylormade-small: QI10 Max
Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3HL
Fairway: :ping-small: G425 Max 9 Wood
Hybrid: :PXG: 0317 5 & 6 Hybrids

Irons: :srixon-small: ZX4 7-AW
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50° 54° & 58°
Putter:   :edel-golf-1:
 Array F-3 
Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour Yellow

7 hours ago, Kenny B said:

I just started experiencing the same thing.  My simulator is not quite up and running yet; turf going in soon and the SkyTrak should be here tomorrow.  However, I have started SuperSpeed training again and hitting foam balls into my net.  That will be replaced with the impact screen when everything is here.  I'm hitting off the Real Feel mat, which I have used now for two years with no problems.  After considerable warmup exercises I'm starting to feel soreness in my left elbow.  I don't think it's from hitting the mat, because that's not when it hurts; could be from extending down the line with the SS sticks and driver air swings.  I haven't played golf for almost 3 weeks; snow and below freezing temps, so no real ball impact yet.

You got it with  "could be from extending down the line with the SS sticks and driver air swings" This is exactly what was happening to me. Better back off for now before it's to late.

9 hours ago, DGA3 said:

Otherwise known as lateral or medial epicondylitis. 

I had a bout with it in early August, and - after taking a couple of weeks off and then doing some of my own rehab based on watching numerous YouTube PT videos - was able to resume playing while wearing a forearm brace for extra support/protection. Everything went well while playing 2-3 times a week for about two months.

However, in mid-October, I had played on a Tuesday and Wednesday, and was asked to compete in a Ryder Cup tournament on the weekend, which sounded like fun, so I entered. Everything went fine until Sunday, when - after warming up thoroughly - I stepped to the first tee, swung my driver, made contact with the ball, and BAM! The pain returned, much in the fashion of a guitar string snapping.

I figure that although I felt as if my initial injury was completely healed, it probably was only about 90%, which allowed me to get away with playing 2-3 times a week. However, pushing it to 4 times, along with long, extensive warmups for the tournament, was just too much for my forearm tendons to take, and they snapped.

And yes, I went to an Ortho both times, and they basically recommended rest, stretching, and wearing a wrist brace for a couple of weeks. Right now I am fortunate that it is not golf season here in central Ohio, and I can rest it even more, while continuing to do some of my self-discovered therapies (hand gripper device and a Theraband Flexbar).

Hopefully, by the Spring I will be ready to once again play golf injury free. I just have to pace myself and not overdo it like the last time!

What about you?

Who here has experienced either tennis or golfer's elbow? How have you dealt with it, and what have you discovered helps you heal?

As an orthopedic physical therapist I treat this quite frequently. The treatment plan generally follows with minimal stretching and strengthening followed by some manual or tool assisted work to the surrounding area. Utilization of modalities like hot/cold laser, thermal stim application, and dry needling or acupuncture. The tennis elbow strap research has been updated and results show it isn’t as effective as previously thought. Hopefully all this helps

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

2 hours ago, RollingGreens said:

As an orthopedic physical therapist I treat this quite frequently. The treatment plan generally follows with minimal stretching and strengthening followed by some manual or tool assisted work to the surrounding area. Utilization of modalities like hot/cold laser, thermal stim application, and dry needling or acupuncture. The tennis elbow strap research has been updated and results show it isn’t as effective as previously thought. Hopefully all this helps

I hope you can make it to Pinehurst. Your skills will come in handy after some of us finish up 36 holes in the same day. I bet you can name your price and we will line up. 🤣

2 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

You got it with  "could be from extending down the line with the SS sticks and driver air swings" This is exactly what was happening to me. Better back off for now before it's to late.

I have... a little. I've never really had that pain before, but at my age it seems like I am always getting new pains all the time.

I also should have mentioned that I did make a grip change while doing these swings, so that make have had some impact.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

13 hours ago, RollingGreens said:

As an orthopedic physical therapist I treat this quite frequently. The treatment plan generally follows with minimal stretching and strengthening followed by some manual or tool assisted work to the surrounding area. Utilization of modalities like hot/cold laser, thermal stim application, and dry needling or acupuncture.

The tennis elbow strap research has been updated and results show it isn’t as effective as previously thought. Hopefully all this helps

Any additional information on this, or a website (or YouTube video) where I could learn more?

Have dealt with this the latter half of this year and 3-4 different times in life. It does help that winter in Texas is here and long stretches of 40 & 30 degree weather makes us Texans run from playing outdoors. To compound my interest in learning preventive exercise, is from a buddy of mine who tore this tendon in ‘21 and losing 8 months of golf. Really appreciate the advice @Tom the Golf Nut @RollingGreens. I would also appreciate a video to learn more about tennis elbow strap research. Looking at starting fit for golf at the start of ‘23. Need to get stronger and walk more. Merry Christmas all!

D: :taylormade-small: Stealth - HZRD Smoke BLK 
3W: :titleist-small: TSR3 - :Fuji: TR 🔴
5W: :taylormade-small: Stealth  - :Fuji: 🔴
Irons: :titleist-small: T200 - Project X LZ 6.0
Wedge: :taylormade-small: MG3 46/53/59
Putter: :scotty-small: Select Squareback 1.5 - 2018
Ball: :taylormade-small: Tour Response vs :titleist-small: AVX
Bag: Jones
Other: :Arccos:

Ha!  I have been suffering from it for about 4 months now.  BUT, it's on the inside my right elbow!  I am right handed.  I thought it was usually on your trail arm.  I am in Florida so golf year round.  I took about a week off and it felt good, but came back after a game or two. 

I've tried lots of braces and have found the Serola Gel Arc from Amazon to be the best for me.  I've been to a Chiro and massage.  I think the massage helped the most, she worked the tendon and in the bicep area.

I am trying really hard not to chunk my iron shots as that is a big setback.  I also forgot my brace one time and learned that it really does help a lot

Guess we all have had it one time or another.  I learned to lighten up on that trigger finger and the pain eventually went away.  Worked for me.  

Driver - TSi3 10.75* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TR

Fairway - TSi2 14.25* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 

Fairway - TSR1 17.0* - Fujikura Vista Pro 65S

Hybrid - TSR1 19.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75  

Hybrid - TSR1 23.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75

Irons - T350 (2023) - 5-48W - True Temper AMT Red 95g-107g

Wedges - Vokey SM9 - 52.08F, 56.10S - True Temper AMT Red 94 

**  GolfPride MCC +4 Midsize Grips  (all woods/irons/wedges)

Putter - 2023 Scotty Cameron Super Select Squareback 2 35" 

**  Superstroke 1.0 Pistol Grip  

Golf Ball - TITLEIST - Prov1 (2023)                                                         

Golf Bags - TITLEIST  - Cart 14 (black), Mid Size Tour (black/white)

Golf Glove - FootJoy (StaSof), Shoes, Apparel and Outerwear        

Rangefinder - Bushnell Pro XE

2 hours ago, DGA3 said:

Any additional information on this, or a website (or YouTube video) where I could learn more?

I'd recommend getting a referral from your doctor to see a physical therapist.  Call around first to find a therapist who specializes in golf injuries. Better yet if that therapist is also a golfer.

Edited by Double Mocha Man

DRIVER:     Rogue 10.5 degree

3 WOOD:     Mavrik Max 15.0 degree

21 DEGREE HYBRID:     Titleist 909H

IRONS:     Callaway XR Pros  5 - PW

GAP WEDGE:      Titleist Vokey  48 degree

SAND WEDGE:   Titleist Vokey  54 degree

LOB WEDGE:      Titleist Vokey  56 degree

LOB WEDGE:      Titleist Vokey  60 degree

PUTTER:     Odyssey Black #7

BALL:       Titleist Pro V1  

I had a similar injury (15+years ago) and followed the Orthos's  practices as you described and played thru the injury (for months). It would recur periodically, especially after hitting off of mats. Out of pure luck I was looking at a used car by private party, I had my forearm wrap on. The owner asked me what was going on, I told him. He asked if he could try something: he manipulated the area (putting things back to where the should be), and had me do ice and heat, "it'll be good in X # weeks", well it was good as stated and has never recurred. The guy turned out to be an Osteopath and practiced manipulation putting the tendons, ligaments and whatever else is there to where they should be. It worked for me and I am a believer, hope this helps, and works for you. Pain free golf is wonderful.

You can play round with this injury, or you can actually deal with it. A steroid injection may heal it but it's still a steroid. Find a doctor who has experience with shock wave therapy or do a PRP treatment. Most anything else is a frustrating waste of time. Rest may help, if you do nothing for a year.

Tennis Elbow and/or golfers elbow is the worst! I remember taking lessons a few years ago and having to stop after about 10 minutes cause I was in so much pain from hitting the ball and just sitting there holding my arm thinking I was never going to be able to golf again. I had done all sorts of physical therapy and patches, bands,  and injections and my next step according to the doc was surgery. Someone told me about a Theraband Flexbar and said get on Amazon and order one. So I did, and it's honestly changed my life! You can look it up on YouTube as they have all sorts of videos of how to use them but after about a week of using it 10 or so minutes a day the pain in my elbow has gone away. 

Now I tell everyone I come across that has a tennis elbow strap on their arm about them because it has made such a big impact on my life! I feel like I should be sponsored by them but they really work!

It's not an addiction, more like an obsession...

A great portion of elbow issues are due to problems upstream at the shoulder or scapula (shoulder blade). This can be weakness / instability or just poor movement patterns with the shoulder or scapula.  Wrapping the elbow is not a long term solution.  

Some basic strengthening work for the shoulder is often all that is needed to stop the compensations your body is doing that are causing the elbow pain.  Your plan should be:

1. Stop doing what is causing the pain for a couple of weeks to let your body calm down. 

2. Start developing strength and retraining proper movement patterns with the shoulder / scapula.

3. Re introduce activities that were resulting in pain.

Not interested in golf lifestyle brands. Just want to play golf.

Been there and done that.   Tried a bunch of things, Message therapy, Acupuncture, both were expensive options and gave immediate relief for about 1-2 days- even with playing.  Ultimately it's all about stretching.   I incorporated a few stretches and one product to alleviate and improve my wrists and arms( elbows) tendons strength for long-term durability.  Here is a link to stretches-Wrist Exercises  I also added using this Theraband flex-bar.   Theraband Amazon Page

You will get relief.  It's the "off-season" so take this time, and get healthy to enjoy a 2023 golf season.  

Trust me, you'll be happy in less than a month.

Mike from Fit for Golf has golfers elbow/tennis elbow fixes for you, so will not comment on that.  I thought I had it until I started having issues with my arm and hand, particularly nerve related.  After a lot of Dr visits, I found out I had both carpal tunnel and a severely impinged ulnar nerve.  Carpal tunnel is easy to fix.  The impinged ulnar nerve, not so much.  By the time it was diagnosed, I lost use of the hand, particularly the left pinky, ring finger and middle finger.  The hand is numb as was most of my left arm.  Surgery solved the impingement but I missed the entire 2022 golf season and may struggle to play early in '23.  Nerves heal very slowly (1 yr +).  Lots of PT and daily exercises.

The point of this is that if you have tingling or a bit of numbness/discomfort in your hand or wrist, especially towards the outside of the hand and pinky, get it checked.  Go to a hand specialist, have an EMG test done.  Letting it go too long causes longer term issues.  And hitting balls off of mats, particularly a lot, can cause this over  time.

It's going to sound wierd, but I solved mine through use of a Gyro Ball/Powerball. Train for about 3-5 minutes a day with it for a couple weeks and off and on as needed. It seems more like a wrist exerciser, but doing it with your elbow straight, and flexed alternately for a couple minutes at a time really works all the muscles of your forearm and upper arm all the way to the shoulder.  I think this really gets bloodflow and healing to the joints. 

https://powerballs.rpmpower.com/applications/tennis-elbow-treatment/ 

WITB; VLS Driver, Srixon ZX 3 wood, Snake Eyes 3, 4 and 5 hybrids, TA Irons, Callaway Jaws High toe 54 and 58, Cobra Agera Armlock Putter. Trust Aurora Golf Balls. 

The Therabar is the best!  I also recommend it for someone with the issue.  I was demoing clubs inside at PGA superstore then had outdoor fitting off matts.  After I ordered my new 'Zunos, blew elbow out with a driver swing - new clubs showed up a couple days later and I counldn't play.

Rehabbed with Therabar and also wore an elbow brace with straps.   I though the brace just gave me added support and confidence - stopped using it after about 6 months.

Dave

Taylor Made Sim Driver and 5 wood

ping G400 3 wood

Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal irons 4-G

Callaway Jaws MD wedges 54° and 58°

evnroll ER5 murdered out black putter

In addition to these great ideas, it helped me if I slept with the bad elbow oriented low - between shoulder and waist. Maybe better blood flow?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Madison bats -

Driver - Callaway Mavrik 10.5*, Reg 55 gram Riptide

3W - Taylor Rocket Ballz 15* R

5W - Taylor Rocket Balls 19* 

Hybrid 22* Rocket Balls R, 25* Hyper Speed R

Irons - 6-P Titleist AP2 712 S TT Gold Hi Launch

W 52, 56, 60 Vokey SM6

I was at the doctors a few years ago among other things I asked about tennis elbow I had. She asked what sports I played, golf came up she asked if I was left or right handed I told her and she suggested lessons !!! True story!

TS 3 driver

TS2 3w

Mizzi mix

7 thru gap forged and 4,5,6 HMP

T20 wedges

Toulan Las Vegas putter

image1.jpeg.2d3d769347847586014282c210d5f275.jpeg

I have had the tennis elbow in both arms which is very painful, and it got to where I couldn't pick up a carton of milk much less luggage. I was playing in a lot of golf tournaments, so I couldn't rest it and decided to get the cortisone shot in both elbows. It relieved the pain for a  few weeks but would come back. I then decided to go with acupuncture which seem to help a lot along with the use of the Flexbar. Also, I do dumbbell curls with light weight 15lbs, but when you do the curl make sure to turn your thumbs outward while raising the dumbbell during the exercise.
Good luck and Merry Christmas!!

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9*

Fairway - Ping G425 #5 & #7

Hybrid - Ping G425 #4

Irons - Mizuno JPX HM 923 5-AW

Putter - Scotty Pro Platinum Newport two

I had golfers elbow many years ago and it was determined from over-rotating my forearms. Once I gave my arms a rest over the winter months it cleared up and now I'm just fine. Don't over-manipulate your body doing things it's not meant to do.