Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Tell Us Your Best Golf Story

GolfSpy SAM

Wow!  Did thr hawk get the fish back?

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

2 hours ago, Rob Person said:

Wow!  Did thr hawk get the fish back?

Seeing how we were all laughing too hard at the time I can’t say I remember 

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max 9* with Tensei AV Blue 55

PXG 5 and 7 woods with Mitsubishi Diamana Shafts

Mizuno Pro 225 5-GW with Dynamic Gold S300 shafts

Taylormade Hi-Toe 54 and 58 degree wedges

Ping Prime Tyne 4

• 2 weeks later...

Last year, playing Falcon's Fire in Kissimmee, FL, and getting ready to tee off.  I am playing with 3 guys that can bomb off the tee box and make me look like I'm putting off the box in comparison.  The group in front of us is easily 230+ out.  They are in two carts, opposite sides of the fairway.  You are already probably seeing where this is going.

I grab my Driver, the one club I absolutely can't hit to save my life, your life, and certainly not my ex-wife's life.  My smarta$$ buddy says "Dude, just hit, you won't be within 50 yards of them".  Well, 999 shots out of 1000 that statement, while hurtful and making me want to curl up in the fetal position to cry like a real man, is quite true.  Until this shot...

I hit this amazing (pure luck) cut that lands center fairway and comes to a stop nearly dead-centered between these two carts that are spread apart on the fairway, as previously mentioned.  A very safe distance from the golfers, but in retrospect, enough to piss me off if it happened to me.  And so it begins...  Mr. Street Fighter took exception to this shot despite us yelling "fore" and "my bad" loud enough that they could hear me.  So here he comes, marching up to us on the tee box...  I am standing there ready for whatever, but taking accountability that it was a mistake.  I know I escalated it when he started screaming that just because I am a pro, I was out of line, etc...  I mean, a pro, me???  I told him that was the best shot I had ever hit in my life with no intention of running it up on them.  Anywho...  between me, my 6'5" buddy, my other guy at 6'+, and the third who was ready to go...  he realized this wouldn't end well for him and walked back hollering.  

Lesson learned that day.  Accidents happen and even a terrible golfer, such as myself, can mess up and hit a great shot.  I was wrong, but the golf course is the last place I thought I would ever have to pull out the ole jackhammer left hook on someone.  

• Driver - Cobra LTDx Max
  • 3W - Callaway Paradym
  • 3h/4h - Callaway BB19
  • 5h - TM Stealth
  • 6i-P - Wilson D9 CB
  • 52* - Cobra SB Black
  • 56* - Callaway JAWS MD5
  • 60* - Mizuno T22 C-Grind
  • Putter - Cleveland HB 11 Soft Mallet 34"

• 2 weeks later...

I have one involving me and another involving my dad.

My dad and I are playing a vacation round and paired up with a twosome. We get to a par 3 and I end up on the green. (Woo) My dad hits his and we never see it land, we figure it's in the woods because we all heard a crack like it struck a tree. All four of us are marching over the woods and we decide to let the group behind play through. Sure enough, they found it in the hole which none of us bothered to check. The crack sound was the ball hitting the cup on the fly and denting the plastic. I had a hole in one about a decade ago, he still has me beat because his was on the fly.

This one is embarrassing but also hilarious. I had a regular threesome in college at a local. We are finishing up 9 when I hit it into the woods. The ball was sitting up and it wasn't quite muddy-looking so I thought I'll go there and hack it out. Big mistake.

I took the first step and whoosh, I'm up to my hip in quicksand like mud. The surface may have been dry, but underneath was all mud. I'm not up to my hip in mud, my other leg is on the grass and I can't get up. I call over to my friends who had to literally pull me out of this quagmire. My entire leg is covered in mud, my shorts are ruined and even my underwear is now brown.

I abandon all hope of playing the last two holes but then the question comes up... who has to take me home. You see at that time, I had no car and was hitching rides. Needless to say I think a game of rock paper scissors broke out and the loser had to drive me home stenching of mud. I ditched the shorts in the car and called my roommate to get a towel... He shows up and surveys the situation of me in the car covered in mud, shorts in hand and decides this is the moment to pull a prank. Meanwhile my golf partner is getting more annoyed because he's one step closer to getting me out of the car and surveying the damage. Needless to say the car needed a wash and I paid for the buddies round the next time we played.

Other stories: the time I texted my buddies I'm on in two and then texted 5 minutes later I tapped in for a 9(!) during my first tournament. The time I walked 44 holes and took two guys to overtime in match play after 18 hole rounds... in the same day. 

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

Two years ago my brother and I went to myrtle beach and we went for diffrent reasons me for golf him for the beach. I decided to play TPC Myrtle beach and it was fun but not the best course in the area but nice none the less. I had just finished my round and decided to get a bite to eat and who walks in Dustin Johnson. At the time i had no clue this was the dustin johnson golf school. He had a bunch of people with him nobody else i recognized and didnt want to bother him but had to say something right? So as i walked by i said great course here isnt it mr johnson and he said yea i wouldnt have my training school here otherwise. Really thats cool its a pleasure to meet you. He said are you a fan i said sure he said really i said big minwoo lee fan he laughed and said atleast your honest. That was it went on with my day. Kick myself for not asking for an autograph or picture but is that disrespectful when he was with other people looked like getting ready to sit and eat??? Should of done it anyways. 

October 2019 I am playing an afternoon round with my friend Steve at Rancho Vista in Palmdale, CA. I had just birdied the par 5 3rd after stuffing a wedge to 2 feet to tie the hole. The 4th is a par 3 of 165 yards playing into a slight breeze with the pin in the right center of the green at the base of a large slope. Being that Steve had the honors from the 2nd hole, he hit a great shot to about 5 feet.  Feeling a little cocky after the wedge I hit to the previous hole, I told him, "Nice shot, but I'll get it inside that." I didn't waste any time choosing a club and going through my routine. I hit a beautiful cut 6 iron that started out left of the hole and appeared to be fading right online. I knew it would be close but couldn't see where the ball finished because the pin was in the shadows.  What a surprise when we got to the green and discover my ball in the hole.  I love it when my game backs up my mouth. That was the second hole in one I had made with Steve in 2 months.image.png.e54bdb52a0a0fdb3fc3924551bf5b33c.png

David Staller

Golf just isn’t about chasing that little white ball around. Sometimes there are little distractions along the way.

golf flowers.jpg

"It's only rock and roll...but I like it." - Mick Jagger

"It is not the will to win that matters-Everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters." - Paul "Bear" Bryant

"If anything is worth doing, it is worth doing with all your heart." - the Buddha

What's in the bag:

Driver Taylormade Qi10 Standard, 3W Callaway RazrFit Extreme, 5W - Cobra Fly Z XL, Wilson D9 4 hybrid, Heat II Single Length Irons 5-SW, Snake Eyes 60' LW

What's on my feet: Squarz/Under Armour Charged Draw 2

Bag Boy Quad XL Push Cart w/Bag Boy CB15 bag

Where I play:  Baja Country Club - Ensenada, Baja Califorinia, Mexico/Bajamar Oceanfront Golf Resort, Ensenada, Baja California, Mexico

5 hours ago, David Staller said:

October 2019 I am playing an afternoon round with my friend Steve at Rancho Vista in Palmdale, CA. I had just birdied the par 5 3rd after stuffing a wedge to 2 feet to tie the hole. The 4th is a par 3 of 165 yards playing into a slight breeze with the pin in the right center of the green at the base of a large slope. Being that Steve had the honors from the 2nd hole, he hit a great shot to about 5 feet.  Feeling a little cocky after the wedge I hit to the previous hole, I told him, "Nice shot, but I'll get it inside that." I didn't waste any time choosing a club and going through my routine. I hit a beautiful cut 6 iron that started out left of the hole and appeared to be fading right online. I knew it would be close but couldn't see where the ball finished because the pin was in the shadows.  What a surprise when we got to the green and discover my ball in the hole.  I love it when my game backs up my mouth. That was the second hole in one I had made with Steve in 2 months.image.png.e54bdb52a0a0fdb3fc3924551bf5b33c.png

Love it! Big fan of Rancho Vista and Antelope Valley CC - I'm not too far from either (I'm in Santa Clarita), so if you're ever out in the area again, let me know!

1 hour ago, EMacK1961 said:

Golf just isn’t about chasing that little white ball around. Sometimes there are little distractions along the way.

golf flowers.jpg

Beautiful!  But...you lost your ball in there, didn't you? 😉

Driver - PXG 0811 XF - Gen 5, 9 degrees (+1 setting), Oban Devotion TR 65 04
3/5 Wood - Cobra LTDx Max (Blue Colorway)
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*)
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Chrome Tour Triple-Track

• 2 weeks later...

Two quick stories:

1. I was playing a round with my daughter last week and had a great round. I was +4 on the front and even through 4 on the back. The best part of the day was when my daughter turned to me and said, "You are on fire".

It is not the best shot or drive down the middle, but just playing a round every Thursday is the best with my daughter.

2. I was at the PGA Championship in 2005(?) at Baltusrol, NJ. Tiger is on the 17th, par 5, and hits his second shot next to the green. He chips up and has about a 25-foot putt. I scream, "Pick it up, it's a gimme." He had a huge smile and looked over. The crowd was laughing so hard. I got home, and my wife turned to me and said, "Who was the idiot that screamed, pick it up?" LOL

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST R Flex

3 Wood: TaylorMade Razr

Hybrids: Callaway Rogue Max 3 - 5

Irons: TaylorMade M5

Wedges: TaylorMade Milled Grind 4 52, 54/Titleist Vokey M6 56

Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7

R.jpg

Among a few that are special, the best round I played during college takes the title.

We went for a casual 9 in the afternoon as a foursome to play the other 18 at our home course.  I’m hitting the ball well, putting well and by the time I left the 8th green I was -4.  My friends suggested we keep going to see how low I could go, it was that good.  

The problem…it was 6:30 and the cafeteria closed at 7 for dinner.  I was a broke college student and eating was more important than chasing a personal low score.  

So I still shot -4 on 8 holes and that story always makes me smile.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

• 1 month later...

Traveled to Stevens Point WI. Was with family golfing at the Wisconsin River golf club and the tenth is a drivable

par 4 245 yds; hit a easy driver and was 3 ft from the flag! Was able to convert my first eagle! 🦅 absolutely the best feeling! 

Play Well!

scott

IMG_4226.jpeg

Scott Kraklow

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I are members at a golf course that is 102 years old. Our #8 is a par 3, as far as we know we are the only couple to have hole in ones on this hole. Oh what a thrill

Golf A Game For A Lifetime

On 3/16/2024 at 5:13 PM, Scott Kraklow said:

Traveled to Stevens Point WI. Was with family golfing at the Wisconsin River golf club and the tenth is a drivable

par 4 245 yds; hit a easy driver and was 3 ft from the flag! Was able to convert my first eagle! 🦅 absolutely the best feeling! 

Play Well!

scott

IMG_4226.jpeg

Way to go More to come

On 2/16/2024 at 5:15 AM, Mr_BogeyPro said:

Two quick stories:

1. I was playing a round with my daughter last week and had a great round. I was +4 on the front and even through 4 on the back. The best part of the day was when my daughter turned to me and said, "You are on fire".

It is not the best shot or drive down the middle, but just playing a round every Thursday is the best with my daughter.

2. I was at the PGA Championship in 2005(?) at Baltusrol, NJ. Tiger is on the 17th, par 5, and hits his second shot next to the green. He chips up and has about a 25-foot putt. I scream, "Pick it up, it's a gimme." He had a huge smile and looked over. The crowd was laughing so hard. I got home, and my wife turned to me and said, "Who was the idiot that screamed, pick it up?" LOL

2 great stories

In 2017, my son was diagnosed with a severe form of epilepsy at the age of 3 months old. Up until that point I had been playing regularly, playing about 36 holes per week. After he was diagnosed we were in and out of the hospital for a couple of months and I wasn't playing. My first round back, I was playing with my brother in-law, father in-law and uncle and it was great to get out and get my mind off of things. I was a couple over after six and we got to the par 3 7th hole which was playing about 168 yards. I hit a nice 8 iron and saw the ball take one hop and heard it hit the flag stick and disappear for my first ever hole in one. It was one of those moments where god saw I was struggling in life and gave me a moment I'll never forget. 

Taylormade M2 Driver

Taylormade AeroBurner 3 Wood

Wilson D9 Forged Irons

Callaway X-forged Wedges

Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Putter

Have made many memories on the golf course with family and friends.  One that stands out for me was at a shorter course with mostly par3s and a handful of par4s.  There's a hole on the back 9 where the tee boxes are positioned high on a hill with a large pond directly below.  It takes about 135yds to carry the pond.  My then 6 1/2 year old had been trying over several rounds to carry the pond but was unsuccessful.  Then one round, with mama and brother joining us as spectators, he hit one of his best drives ever and carried the pond!  We all cheered loudly and my sons eyes were full of happy tears.  Seeing him take on a significant challenge, persevere through multiple failures and eventually succeed, filled our hearts with joy.  I get chills to this day when I recall it.  On top of that mama caught it all on video, both the shot and the celebration.  He hasn't had a problem carrying the pond since.  The brilliant game of golf can teach us so many life lessons if you allow it to.              

Edited by JFore99

Addicted to everything golf

14 hours ago, clay078 said:

In 2017, my son was diagnosed with a severe form of epilepsy at the age of 3 months old. Up until that point I had been playing regularly, playing about 36 holes per week. After he was diagnosed we were in and out of the hospital for a couple of months and I wasn't playing. My first round back, I was playing with my brother in-law, father in-law and uncle and it was great to get out and get my mind off of things. I was a couple over after six and we got to the par 3 7th hole which was playing about 168 yards. I hit a nice 8 iron and saw the ball take one hop and heard it hit the flag stick and disappear for my first ever hole in one. It was one of those moments where god saw I was struggling in life and gave me a moment I'll never forget. 

Great story brother, Congrats!

R.jpg

A friend and I were playing Sand Hollow in southern Utah a couple of years back on a twilight rate. My wife decided to tag along and ride with me, since neither of us had been to the course before (despite living 15 minutes away).

First few holes were fine, but we caught up to the foursome in front of us by hole 3. They made no effort to let us play through, and while we were frustrated, we were careful to not hit into them or close to them, though I'm sure they heard us loudly complaining a few times. We make the turn and catch up to them on 10. It's a couple in their sixties or so playing with their adult sons. The dad makes a comment about it being a little while until we will be able to tee off. We didn't push the issue of playing through because that interaction wasn't that best.

We take our time playing 10 and 11 and finally make it to the signature 12th hole. It's playing 370 yards uphill, and the group in front of us is probably 320 or so from our tees. My friend hits his drive so I tee up and let it rip. I hit my only draw of the day - a low bullet that skips off the cart path twice and ends up going about 330. The group in front was about on the green at that point, so really nowhere close to hitting them. As my wife and I drive down the path to the fairway, I see one of the sons walk down toward my ball and proceed to hit it back in our direction with a full swing.

We proceed to drive up to the green, and all four of them walk down to us, clubs in hand and furiously start yelling at us. My friend sees the commotion and drives up behind my wife and me. The foursome claimed that we had into them once, then claimed it had happened twice, then changed it to "you've been hitting into us all day". We stayed pretty measured and let them have it about slow play and not letting the smaller group play through. The dad was making an absolute fool of himself, to the point where the wife was trying to restrain him, then the younger son was so angry with clubs in his hand, we questioned if he was going to use them on us. After a few heated minutes, the interaction was over, and my friend and I decided to hang it up for the night and drive back to the pro shop, especially since my wife was just in shock of what she had witnessed.

We told the pro the story of the slow play all night, then the hitting of the ball back toward us, and finally the verbal altercation. He said he would talk to them when they came in and get their side of the story, but in the meantime, he felt bad about our experience, especially since it was my first time at the course. He ended up comping two rounds the following morning, which were $220+ tee times per player. When we showed up the next morning, we were paired with a phenomenal twosome who we really enjoyed playing with, and had an amazing experience all around.

The more people I tell this story, the more I realize that nearly getting into a fight on a golf course is a pretty uncommon occurrence... At any rate, nothing like this has happened again, but it is hard to beat a free round of golf on a great course.

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 10.5* with Project X HZRDUS Black 6.5

Fairways: Titleist TSR2+ 13* and TSR3 15* (at 15.75) with Tensei 1K Black 75X

Driving Iron: Taylormade Tour Preferred 2 iron with KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff

Hybrid: Callaway Rogue ST Pro 4 hybrid

Irons: Taylormade Stealth 4-PW with KBS Max Stiff

Wedges: Vokey SM9 50.08F, Taylormade MG4 54.11, Vokey SM9 60.08M

Putter: Mizuno M-Craft OMOI 06 35"

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

Bag: Sun Mountain C-130S

In a college golf tournament, my grandfather was following our group in a cart. It was a bit rainy that day. Mid way through the round, my playing competitor missed a 4ft put and angrily swung his putter. Because it was wet out, the putter slipped out of his hands and went flying toward my grandfathers cart. Luckily, it didn't hit him ... though it did hit the top of the cart and bounce over a large chain link boundary fence! Watching that player apologize and then scale the fence was one of the most bizarre and funny things I've ever seen in competition. 

Edited by Jay Azzarito
Didn't realize my signature had my golf club info

Driver -  Mizuno ST Max 10.5° Ventus Blue (Velocore) 6S

Fairway - Titleist TSI 2, Tensi AV Raw Blue 6S

Hybrid - Adams Idea Tour Proto 20° Stiff

Irons - Mizuno 243 4-GW KBS Tour 120 S

Wedges - Mizuno T24 55°, 60°

Putter - Scotty Cameron Notchback (dual balance)

Bag - Mizuno Tour Stand (6 way)

Ball - Mizuno RB Tour X

We take a guys golf trip at the beginning of every summer. Last year, had one of the best weekends in terms of golf...and gambling of course. 

I holed out 4 times in that stretch. One of these being my first hole in one from 195 yards! Myself and 3 others played 36 on that Saturday when I made it, so I didn't have to buy drinks for an entire group either! Lucky as can be!! 

:callaway-small:Driver: Paradym Triple Diamond

:taylormade-small:3 Wood: Stealth Plus

:taylormade-small:Hybrid: Stealth Plus 

:srixon-small:Irons: Srixon ZX7

:taylormade-small:Wedges: MG2 50* MG3 54* and SM9 58* M Grind

:EVNROLL:Putter: Evnroll EV5

:titleist-small: GolfBall: 2023 ProV1

This is a good thread.  I like a good story.  Mine is rather simple, but it will remain one of my top golf memories of all time.  My wife and I took a trip to Scotland 6 years ago.  I somehow convinced her for us to stay a night in St. Andrews.  I didn't have a tee time, I really just wanted to see the property.  I knew about the standby line from research, and I was going to give it a shot, but I wasn't keeping my hopes up.  

We got to St. Andrews on a Sunday and walked the property of the Old Course since it's closed on Sundays and is basically just a big park.  It was great seeing all the landmarks, where all the greats stood.  I got a picture on the Swilcan Bridge and Hell Bunker.  It was a good day.  

My plan was to go to bed early and head out to see if I could get in the standby line around 4:00 AM, but I couldn't sleep that night.  I was still a little jet-lagged, so I decided to get up, get dressed, and take a walk down the standby line around 1:45 AM.  When I arrived, there was already one person waiting, I was a bit surprised that I wasn't the first that early in the morning, but I was still happy that I was only the second in line.

It was a long night, and I spent time reading and trying to sneak in a nap here and there on the uncomfortable bench.  Meanwhile, people would show up from time to time.  The next person after me didn't show up until around 3:30, but it started to pick up after that.  Eventually, the doors opened at a little after 7:00 AM and the line had significantly grown.  I imagined there were about 40-50 people in line hoping to get to play the Old Course.  We were informed that there were currently only 2 guaranteed spots for the day and 2 projected spots.  I was really glad I had shown up early.  

I gave them my name and GHIN card to prove I was worthy to play the course.  At the time, I was a 13 handicap, which was still well within their requirements, but I was still nervous that I could be turned away.  They gave me a 10:30 tee time and I had time to freshen up and grab breakfast with my wife before heading back to the course.  I got there to check in about 45 minutes prior to my tee time hoping to warm up, but I did not realize that the driving range was not close to where I was and was accessed by shuttle.  Not knowing how long it would take to get there and back, and not wanting to risk missing my tee time, I decided to stay around the first tee.  I was able to chip and putt before my group was called to the tee. 

Everyone in my group hired their own caddie, my caddie's name was Christopher and we got along nicely.   I was nervous as could be when Christopher recommending that I hit my 5-wood of the first tee.  I took the club and favored the left side since OB loomed right.  Off we went and I started to get into the groove.  Christopher was an excellent greens reader and I didn't question his reads even when I read it differently.  This payed off early in the round on the second hole where I went with his read rather than my own and sunk an 8 foot birdie putt.  It was a dream start going par-birdie-par-par-birdie through 5 holes.  I had a few bumps on the front 9 but I still managed to hold it together for the most part. 

The front nine was almost all downwind...then we turned into it.  The wind was blowing a constant 15 mph.  The only things we had working for us was there weren't a lot of gusts, it stayed relatively dry, it wasn't too cold, and the sun even peaked out from time to time.  

The back nine was pretty uneventful, except for one par 5 on the back where my caddie handed me a three wood to hit into the green on my second shot and just told me to keep it low.  I struck it pure with a low draw.  It rolled up to the front corner of the green.  My caddie looked at me and said, "now that's a golf shot."  I had a hint of pride on that shot that carried me through the rest of the round.  The road hole was interesting, and I was able to keep the ball in play down the stretch. 

I eventually made it onto the 18th green and had a 12 footer left to save par.  I noticed a small crowd watching around the green, and my wife was there filming my finishing hole as well.  I drained the putt and gave a fist pump.  I finished with a 78, which was my personal best at the time.  As a 13 handicap, I had never broken 80 before that day.

I got to play one of the most iconic golf courses in the world and break 80 for the first time all at once.  It was a dream, and I was floating on air for the rest of the trip.  

Even though it was a simple story, I didn't really realize how much there was to tell until I started writing.  If you managed to make it through, thank you for taking the time to read it.  I hope I was able to share a little joy with you from my favorite golf memory.

:mizuno-small: ST-X 230, 9.5°, Fujikura Ventus Red TR, 7-X

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus, 15°, Accra FX 2.0 370 M4

:mizuno-small: MP-20 HMB, 3-4, Graphic Design Tour AD-95, X-Flex

:mizuno-small: MP-20, MMC, 5-PW, Nippon Modus 2.0 Tour 120, S-Flex

:mizuno-small: T-24, 50°, 55°, 60°, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 115

:mizuno-small: M.Craft II

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS

:Arccos: 

On 4/15/2024 at 11:54 AM, pete1276 said:

This is a good thread.  I like a good story.  Mine is rather simple, but it will remain one of my top golf memories of all time.  My wife and I took a trip to Scotland 6 years ago.  I somehow convinced her for us to stay a night in St. Andrews.  I didn't have a tee time, I really just wanted to see the property.  I knew about the standby line from research, and I was going to give it a shot, but I wasn't keeping my hopes up.  

We got to St. Andrews on a Sunday and walked the property of the Old Course since it's closed on Sundays and is basically just a big park.  It was great seeing all the landmarks, where all the greats stood.  I got a picture on the Swilcan Bridge and Hell Bunker.  It was a good day.  

My plan was to go to bed early and head out to see if I could get in the standby line around 4:00 AM, but I couldn't sleep that night.  I was still a little jet-lagged, so I decided to get up, get dressed, and take a walk down the standby line around 1:45 AM.  When I arrived, there was already one person waiting, I was a bit surprised that I wasn't the first that early in the morning, but I was still happy that I was only the second in line.

It was a long night, and I spent time reading and trying to sneak in a nap here and there on the uncomfortable bench.  Meanwhile, people would show up from time to time.  The next person after me didn't show up until around 3:30, but it started to pick up after that.  Eventually, the doors opened at a little after 7:00 AM and the line had significantly grown.  I imagined there were about 40-50 people in line hoping to get to play the Old Course.  We were informed that there were currently only 2 guaranteed spots for the day and 2 projected spots.  I was really glad I had shown up early.  

I gave them my name and GHIN card to prove I was worthy to play the course.  At the time, I was a 13 handicap, which was still well within their requirements, but I was still nervous that I could be turned away.  They gave me a 10:30 tee time and I had time to freshen up and grab breakfast with my wife before heading back to the course.  I got there to check in about 45 minutes prior to my tee time hoping to warm up, but I did not realize that the driving range was not close to where I was and was accessed by shuttle.  Not knowing how long it would take to get there and back, and not wanting to risk missing my tee time, I decided to stay around the first tee.  I was able to chip and putt before my group was called to the tee. 

Everyone in my group hired their own caddie, my caddie's name was Christopher and we got along nicely.   I was nervous as could be when Christopher recommending that I hit my 5-wood of the first tee.  I took the club and favored the left side since OB loomed right.  Off we went and I started to get into the groove.  Christopher was an excellent greens reader and I didn't question his reads even when I read it differently.  This payed off early in the round on the second hole where I went with his read rather than my own and sunk an 8 foot birdie putt.  It was a dream start going par-birdie-par-par-birdie through 5 holes.  I had a few bumps on the front 9 but I still managed to hold it together for the most part. 

The front nine was almost all downwind...then we turned into it.  The wind was blowing a constant 15 mph.  The only things we had working for us was there weren't a lot of gusts, it stayed relatively dry, it wasn't too cold, and the sun even peaked out from time to time.  

The back nine was pretty uneventful, except for one par 5 on the back where my caddie handed me a three wood to hit into the green on my second shot and just told me to keep it low.  I struck it pure with a low draw.  It rolled up to the front corner of the green.  My caddie looked at me and said, "now that's a golf shot."  I had a hint of pride on that shot that carried me through the rest of the round.  The road hole was interesting, and I was able to keep the ball in play down the stretch. 

I eventually made it onto the 18th green and had a 12 footer left to save par.  I noticed a small crowd watching around the green, and my wife was there filming my finishing hole as well.  I drained the putt and gave a fist pump.  I finished with a 78, which was my personal best at the time.  As a 13 handicap, I had never broken 80 before that day.

I got to play one of the most iconic golf courses in the world and break 80 for the first time all at once.  It was a dream, and I was floating on air for the rest of the trip.  

Even though it was a simple story, I didn't really realize how much there was to tell until I started writing.  If you managed to make it through, thank you for taking the time to read it.  I hope I was able to share a little joy with you from my favorite golf memory.

Thanks so much for sharing - what an incredible story to have!  Thanks again! 

Driver - PXG 0811 XF - Gen 5, 9 degrees (+1 setting), Oban Devotion TR 65 04
3/5 Wood - Cobra LTDx Max (Blue Colorway)
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*)
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Chrome Tour Triple-Track

Playing golf in Kansas City during the fall, there a lot of Canadian Geese around. Several years ago a guy was on the tee box and there were 10-15 geese about a 100 yards out in the fairway. He swings and catches the ball thin, the ball only got a foot in the air. He hit a goose square in the neck and dropped him. He picked up the goose and carried it around with him the whole round. It was his only birdie that round. 

Rick Leiker

2 minutes ago, Rick Leiker said:

Playing golf in Kansas City during the fall, there a lot of Canadian Geese around. Several years ago a guy was on the tee box and there were 10-15 geese about a 100 yards out in the fairway. He swings and catches the ball thin, the ball only got a foot in the air. He hit a goose square in the neck and dropped him. He picked up the goose and carried it around with him the whole round. It was his only birdie that round. 

Something ain't right with that fella 

About 10 years ago my company sent 4 of us to a charity golf outing. We played pretty decently as a team. Turns out that we were in a three way tie for 1st place. The courses way of settling a tie is a one shot closest to the pin on 18 from 125 yards away. 
Nobody on my team wanted to take the shot. The players from the entire tournament were gathered around the green or watching from the patio overlooking the green. My team looked at me and said you do it. 
so I grabbed my PW and headed down the fairway with the club pro and the other two guys selected from the other teams.

Graciously I let them hit first. Now knowing what I had to do. I took a practice swing and then stepped in and sent the ball on its way. I have the ball on one of my ball racks.

IMG_0780.jpeg.d9d503e9d9a6d98bde06564279e86062.jpeg
 As you can see I was closest and received $400.00 for my team.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

Last year I dragged my wife golfing for the first time “she lasted 4 holes”. On the 10 hole of the course I’ve been play since I was born I piped my drive and heard a thunk. I drove the cart up to where I thought my ball should be in the green side bunker. Nope I’m wrong hole in one, on the 310 yard par 4. First one of my life

Dad of two girls playing and practicing as much as I can

17 hours ago, GolfSpy SAM said:

Thanks so much for sharing - what an incredible story to have!  Thanks again! 

I'm glad you enjoyed it.  I forgot I had these videos.

First tee jitters: 

Finishing 18 with the (subtle) fist pump:

On 4/17/2024 at 12:37 PM, pete1276 said:

I'm glad you enjoyed it.  I forgot I had these videos.

First tee jitters: 

Finishing 18 with the (subtle) fist pump:

Thank you for sharing the videos. What an experience!

R.jpg

My golf coach in high school was marshaling girls' golf. He was with the worst group of girls and had to count their strokes. One girl had a circle ten on six holes. One of the holes she didn't, she got a hole in one. Hit the driver on a par three. It bounced off a sprinkler head, hit the pin, and went straight in. 😂 

Driver: cobra radspeed

irons: cobra forged tech

wedges: mizuno

putter: odyssey white hot

handicap: 9.1

I was playing in a high school match at a course that was built in conjunction with a neighborhood, so houses lined the edge of almost every fairway. While already being an uncoordinated 16 year old, that day I had a bad case of slicing going on off the tee. After 3 holes of dealing with wicked slices, I decided to aim a tad more left for the next tee shot. Sure enough...a dead pull. I watched as the ball careened toward the houses and was hoping that the sound would at least be solid. Sure enough, the ball slammed straight into one of the houses. My opponents and I started to walk down the hole toward our balls and up ahead in the direction my ball had traveled I see an old man standing with his hands on the hips on the edge of his property line. As I approached he yelled, "YOU BROKE MY WINDOW!" Befuddled, I told him that I was in the middle of a match so I'd have to keep playing, but I would get my coach for him. He glared at me and kept repeating how I broke his window, and he was narrowly keeping his dog from tearing me to shreds as it barked relentlessly. The man's wife was on the back porch yelling at him to stop, causing me to believe that he was making an attempt to mess with me, since I never actually heard the sound of any glass breaking. Once my coach arrived I played on. To this day I still have no idea if I actually did any damage as I never received a bill or had any discussion with my coach about the incident. 

Spoiler

What's in my Sunday Golf Bag

:titleist-small: TSi 3 10* TPT 15 Series X-stiff

:callaway-small: GBB Epic 3w 15* Fujikura Pro 72 Stiff Flex

:titleist-small:TS3 3hyb Hzrdus Smoke Black 80 Stiff Flex

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec 4-PW Modus 3 Tour 120s

:titleist-small: Vokey SM8 Tour Chrome 52-08

:taylormade-small: Milled Grind Raw 56-12

:taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 Black 60

:bettinardi-1: 2016 BB1 w/ stability