Testers Wanted: Sub 70 Pro V2 Fairway Woods ×

Taylormade Stealth 2 Driver opinions

Thumper1978

I have been against Taylormade Drivers for quite awhile since the R1 I haven't given Taylormade a chance love there P-series irons. Well to get to the point I got fitted for a driver and that is the one that the fitter said fit me best by 7 yards on average it was longer but not as constistant as the Titleist TSR3 which is super consistant. I just dont know anyone hitting one please let me know how you feel. Thanks. 

I hit it twice at demo days and came away unimpressed as my Cobra driver was longer. You should check out some of the issues Taylor Made is having with the faces peeling off the driver. While my understanding is TM will replace them no questions asked, it would be a deterrent for me. 

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

15 minutes ago, Thumper1978 said:

I have been against Taylormade Drivers for quite awhile since the R1 I haven't given Taylormade a chance love there P-series irons. Well to get to the point I got fitted for a driver and that is the one that the fitter said fit me best by 7 yards on average it was longer but not as constistant as the Titleist TSR3 which is super consistant. I just dont know anyone hitting one please let me know how you feel. Thanks. 

You will find people that say it is great and you will find people that say it is terrible.   You will find people that say they were fit into it and when they got it on the course it was terrible.   It is a club made by a major OEM that has had years of R&D.  If you are into looking at the TM pros clubs, some use it some don’t.   

my opinion based in your post is don’t get the stealth 2.   You have doubts about TM and feel that the TSR3 is more consistent.    

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Feel and confidence count for so much in golf. I’ve done several demo days this year. The Stealth 2 made me actually say Wow out loud at least once, the Titleist drivers just left me cold. The feel and sound just didn’t click with me, but if it does with you and the numbers are good, then it sounds like you’ve found your club.

WitB (not sure how I ended up with a complete :taylormade-small: bag…it wasn’t deliberate 🙂
:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Driver (HZRDUS Smoke Red shaft)
:taylormade-small: Stealth 2+ 5 Wood (with a 3-wood length HZRDUS Smoke Black shaft)
:taylormade-small: P790 (4-5) P770 (6-PW) irons
:taylormade-small: MG4 52º & 60º (C-Grind) Wedges
:taylormade-small: MG3 Black 56º Wedge
:taylormade-small: MySpider Tour putter in McLaren F1 Colours
:taylormade-small: TP5 Pix balls

A good fitter is going to fit a club to what the golfer needs and wants. 

A not so good fitter is going to either focus purely on distance because distance sells or focus on what the golfer tells him/her is the goal(ie distance, more consistency, etc) and usually at the expense of the other stuff.

So what did you tell the fitter you wanted out of the fitting?

As to not knowing anyone that has one, what others have or don’t have is irrelevant, because all that matter is whether the club does what you want it to do, if it doesn’t then it’s not a good choice and if it does then great you have a club that works or you.

There are peoples who swing doesn’t work with one brand but does another. That’s the nature of clubs and club designs. Find what works for you  

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Buddy has one he let me hit at the range, to me the face feels dead on impact. This is also his second one as he has the peeling issues. Personally for 7 yards longer vs accuracy, I’d take accuracy every day 

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

2 hours ago, Brian A said:

Buddy has one he let me hit at the range, to me the face feels dead on impact. This is also his second one as he has the peeling issues. Personally for 7 yards longer vs accuracy, I’d take accuracy every day 

But now your buddy gets to brag he outdrove you while he pays off the bets he lost to you 😆

Ping 430 Max H/L 10 Degree Geezer Flex

Ping 425 7 wood Geezer Flex

Ping 425 5H [Not in bag]

TM DHY 4/5

Titlist 5-Gap T300's Geezer Flex

Wedges Cleveland RTX Fullface Zipcore 52 degree and TM Hi Toe 4 56 degree

Putter Scotty Cameron Golo S Center Shafted

Ball Bridgestone BXS , Trying The Maxfli Tour S also

Bag Titlist 15 Cart Bag

• 4 months later...
On 6/17/2023 at 6:50 AM, RickyBobby_PR said:

A good fitter is going to fit a club to what the golfer needs and wants. 

A not so good fitter is going to either focus purely on distance because distance sells or focus on what the golfer tells him/her is the goal(ie distance, more consistency, etc) and usually at the expense of the other stuff.

So what did you tell the fitter you wanted out of the fitting?

As to not knowing anyone that has one, what others have or don’t have is irrelevant, because all that matter is whether the club does what you want it to do, if it doesn’t then it’s not a good choice and if it does then great you have a club that works or you.

There are peoples who swing doesn’t work with one brand but does another. That’s the nature of clubs and club designs. Find what works for you  

This is very true. I just bought a Stealth 2 and I really wanted a Ping 430. I've never gotten along well with Ping but figured everyone and their mother was saying it is good so I tried it and for whatever reason I just can't hit it. My Mizuno ST 190 was going about 252. The stealth went 270 and 280. My friend also has 1 and swears by it. 

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9* (Upright Setting), Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize    

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

JPX 919 Tour 5i-pw, Project X LZ 6.5 shafts, Stiff+,  Ping Midsize grips

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex, New Level Midsize grips

PUTTER:    :ping-small:   Heppler Ketsch 35", Ping PP62 Pistol Grip

BALL:           :titleist-small:     Pro V1 (2021 + 2023 Versions Yellow + White)                                                                              

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  2023 Pro Cart Bag 

Shoes:  Under Armour HOVR Fade 2 SL Spikeless  Shoes

Tech: :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope golf laser Rangefinder

Frogger Golf Towels, 4 more Yard blue/ yellow golf tees

• 2 weeks later...

I just recently bought a used Taylormade Stealth 2 with a Kai'Li Red 60S shaft. 

My buddy works out in Western, MA and is a member at a public golf course out there. The course let me borrow the demo club. I'm coming from a Taylormade R580 circa 2004. I can hit my old driver well, but it really isn't the most forgiving, it's a regular shaft, and I can't really get the sweet spot all the time (I'm a 19 handicap). 

First drive with the club, and I was HOOKED. easy to swing, the hit was about a 1/4 ball high, but I don't think I have ever hit a drive that straight or Long. Throughout the entire 18 holes, every time I used the driver, I felt like I could hit it where I wanted to and without that much effort. There was one shot where I hit it off the toe and it ended up as a low slicey stinger, but even then it ended up in the first cut of the fairway about 200 or so yards. 

After a couple of beers and wings in the restaurant, I ended up buying the used club for a fair price. It made a difference to me to actually being able to use it across 18 holes on a cold windy day, versus in a sim or at a driving range. 

Personally, I had my sights set on a different brand and driver, but after a day of using this club, and really just feeling so comfortable and trusting my shots, I had to bring it home. I'm sure results will vary.  It IS the standard Stealth 2, but it has the Mitsubishi Chemical Kai'Li red 60S Shaft on it (which I think normally comes as an option with the Plus model).  I'm definitely not going to mess around with the loft or anything. 

Today I took it to the indoor range, and I felt like I was still hitting it amazing, and the only thing I'm pissed about, is I'm now facing a New England Winter of closed courses until about April or May of next year. 

"In fact , we both tend to hold the Midwestern stoic view that genuine problems are solved with action, not pissing and moaning. If you run around sharing your feelings too much, you'll eventually arrive at a place where you're not only still screwed up, but now everyone knows about it, too." - John Gierach - Sex, Death and Fly Fishing

I have a stealth2+ and found it pretty forgiving for the lower spin model. I know the testing here showed it was top tier but when I spoke with fitters, none of them seemed to indicate it was a above average performer.

Of the two I spoke with, they were having the best results with TSR, G430 max & paradym. I personally got my best results with tsr and aerojet. Paradym gave me best ball speeds but looks yucky and sounded a bit weird.

Tsr2 Ventus TR Blue

Tsi3 Ventus TR Blue

Tsr2 Ventus TR Blue

0211 ST 4-GW Axiom 125

Mizuno T22

Flat stick - who knows