Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Mizuno Pro 225 Unofficial Review

OhBrother

So I've had them now for about 3 months.  Brief history; played MP33's for about 10 years, then the 30's for more forgiveness since I wasn't playing as much.  Anyways, the 225's are phenomenal.  Very forgiving and probably a club and a half longer; not surprising considering the lofts are stronger.  Although not true blades, they have a great topline and aren't as bulky as others I've seen.  True Mizuno feel.  I've got 5-GW but having trouble at the low in filling in gaps.  Probably end up getting a 4 iron but unsure what to take out.  Anyways, I love the clubs and couldn't be happier.

Driver:  Taylore Made Burner 2

5 wood:  Cobra RadSpeed

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 225, Project X Shaft

Wedges:  Mizuno

Putter:  Odyssey

I have had 5-P in my bag since December and they are great.  A few years ago, I started moving away from players CB irons toward players distance irons due to age.  However, I kept going back to traditional players irons.  One thing I noticed about all of the players distance irons that I used was that spin was extremely sensitive to strike location.  Two swings that produced a very similar strike on the face would cause very different spin numbers.  Move the strike up on the face just a tiny bit and the spin would drop several hundred RPM's.  Thus, the carry distance would increase significantly.  Front to back dispersion was always an issue since you could get strike induced low spin flyers from a fairway lie.  

However, I have been very impressed with the 225's.  The consistency of the launch parameters is wonderful (spin, specifically).  If I hit a solid shot, I know it won't go too far just because I caught it a few mm higher on the face.  I will probably keep them in the bag for a very long time.  

Driver: Cobra Aerojet 10.5 Kai'li Blue 65S

3w: Callaway Epic Flash 14.0 Tensei Blue 75S

Hybrids: Titleist TS3 19 NKV Green 85S and TS3 23 Tour Green 85S

Irons: Mizuno Pro 225 5-P Project X IO 6.0

Wedges: Cobra King PUR 50, 54, 58 DG120S

Putter: Odyssey Versa #9

3 hours ago, OhBrother said:

So I've had them now for about 3 months.  Brief history; played MP33's for about 10 years, then the 30's for more forgiveness since I wasn't playing as much.  Anyways, the 225's are phenomenal.  Very forgiving and probably a club and a half longer; not surprising considering the lofts are stronger.  Although not true blades, they have a great topline and aren't as bulky as others I've seen.  True Mizuno feel.  I've got 5-GW but having trouble at the low in filling in gaps.  Probably end up getting a 4 iron but unsure what to take out.  Anyways, I love the clubs and couldn't be happier.

I have these irons 5-PW (and love them) and for the low end I use a Adams 7 wood.  My 5 iron is about 185-190 yards and the 7 wood can go 190-210.  For me I hit that much straighter than I could ever hit a 4 iron.

Live Life...oh and golf a lot!

In the Bag:

Driver & 3 Wood: Titleist TSi3                Hybrids: Callaway Paradym and Ping

Irons: Mizuno 225 Pro  (5-PW)               Wedges: Taylormade MG4 50*, Taylormade Hi-Toe 56*, Ping Glide 4.0 60* (Vokeys are resting downstairs right now 😁

Putter: Alternate between Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2 and Scotty Cameron Phantom 12.5

I've seriously been considering the 225s, and wonder anyone's feedback on this idea. I am specifically wondering about making a mix set of 225s 4i-7i; and 223s 8i-9i (I currently play T20s PW-60º and love that 4 wedge setup). 

I currently play JPX919s forged 4-9i. I have loved them—they are my favorite irons I've ever had. But I believe the Mizuno Pros are a slightly smaller profile (i.e., topline and width)? And potentially a lil more forgiving? Anyone verify my assumptions? 

Anyway, thanks for any help/feedback you all have!!

• Driver: Titleist TSr4 8º, Graphite Design Tour AD 6x
  • 3W: Titleist TSi2 13.5º, Project X 8x
  • 2i: Taylormade P790, HZRDOUS 6.0
  • 4i-6i: Mizuno Pro 225, KBS Tour C-Taper 130x
  • 7i-PW: Mizuno Pro 221, KBS Tour C-Taper 130x
  • 50º; 54º; 60º: Mizuno T22
  • Putter: Evnroll Ev 5.1

Yes, Jason24.  Their website has how to make the set you describe as the lofts are not the same between the two sets.  If you can't find it, let me know and I'll see if I can.  

Driver:  Taylore Made Burner 2

5 wood:  Cobra RadSpeed

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 225, Project X Shaft

Wedges:  Mizuno

Putter:  Odyssey

Came from a Titleist T200 to Mizuno Pro 225, very nice top line, very good feedback for a club, boy you can feel it when you pure it.  Currently a 5 handicap. Shot my low round of -3 this year with them and had my first hole in one.  So I can say while they do not work miracles, I’m very pleased.

Jeff

Jason,

I just received my custom fitted Mizuno Pro 225 (“225”).

All the clubs I tested were very good, but the 225 provided tighter dispersion and were longer over the others and over my current irons - Mizuno MP57 (“MP57”).

The 225s are also relatively more forgiving than the MP57. The fact that they are longer is not surprising since the MP57 are player irons and have softer lofts versus the 225s that are categorized as player distance irons. Also, the cumulative technological changes over 15 years since the release of my MP57 may have contributed to both the forgiveness and distance improvements.

My experience of more forgiveness over my replacement irons may be different than yours. You say that you are currently playing JPX919 (“919”) but what type do you have - “Tour”, “Forged” or “Hot Metal”?  

As you may know, the “Tour” line is a players iron versus the game improvement line of the Hot Metal. Therefore, depending upon which 919 line you have would impact the amount of forgiveness improvement you would experience, if any, by making the change to the 225.

If you do decide to make the switch, you may want to hold off your purchase and consider the new release of the 225 successor that may occur either later this year or early next year (assuming the typical two year shelf life of Mizuno irons holds true). Alternatively if you really want the current 225, you may get them later this year at a discount as they may be phased out. 

Also, not knowing the length of your golf season and assuming you will be fitted (I highly recommend), the turnaround time for custom ordered Mizuno irons may be 6 weeks or longer and that may cut into your golf season. So why not wait and either get the successor irons to the 225 or get the current 225 at a discount? Before considering this approach, you may want to confirm that the release of the new version of the 225 is imminent. 

In summary, I don’t know your experience with your 919 irons, but for me the 225 irons are more forgiving than their sleek appearance would suggest and the ball flies off the club face for more distance versus my old irons.

I hope this helps. 

Good luck. 

Driver - TaylorMade Stealth 2 - 9°

Fairway - TaylorMade Stealth 2 3HL - 16.5°

Hybrid - Titleist TSR2 - 18°

Irons - Mizuno Pro 225 (4i through PW)

Wedges - Titleist Vokey SM9 (50° 08F, 56° 08M, 60° 08M)

Putter - Scotty Cameron Newport Studio Select 2.7 

Ball - Titleist ProV1x

Bag - Titleist Players 4 StaDry

• 1 month later...

So, I was able to purchase a mix set of MP 221s (PW-8i) and 225s (7i-4i). I LOVE these clubs. The forgiveness of the 225s is phenomenal. I agree with the above—when you pure them you know! And, off-centered strikes stay on line and pretty consistent on distance. I will say, I am in LOVE with the 221s though. In fact, I ordered a 7i to put into the set. I have considered co-renting an apartment with these clubs just to spend more time with them, lol!! They are the most beautiful clubs I've owned. The topline is so thin and blade like, I feel like I can carve through the thickest rough. I like how small they hare—the 225s are bigger for sure (not crazy big though), but create a very nice blend. If you look at my bag, you couldn't tell they are different. The nice thing is the confidence in the longer irons that I do not have to be as precise with. But in the shorter irons, I know exactly where I strike the face. And center strikes with the 221s is the reason I play golf! They feel like buttered toast to an upset stomach—peace in the cool of the morning!! I have really enjoy this mix set. I wish I was consistent enough to hit the 221s all the way up the bag. I am real happy with the 221-225 blend!!

Side note: I now have JPX 921 (4i-9i) heads for sale on Marketplace.

• Driver: Titleist TSr4 8º, Graphite Design Tour AD 6x
  • 3W: Titleist TSi2 13.5º, Project X 8x
  • 2i: Taylormade P790, HZRDOUS 6.0
  • 4i-6i: Mizuno Pro 225, KBS Tour C-Taper 130x
  • 7i-PW: Mizuno Pro 221, KBS Tour C-Taper 130x
  • 50º; 54º; 60º: Mizuno T22
  • Putter: Evnroll Ev 5.1