Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Els outshines fuming McIlroy at BMW PGA Championship

Kanoito

VIRGINIA WATER, England (AP) -- Veteran South African Ernie Els used his knowledge of a course he helped redesign to upstage exasperated playing partner Rory McIlroy and take a share of the lead midway through the first round at the BMW PGA Championship at Wentworth on Thursday.

While the top-ranked McIlroy lost his temper during a 2-over 74 in his first round in Europe in seven months - throwing his club to the ground in despair at one point - Els was his usual relaxed self in making six birdies to join four others in shooting a 68.

Compatriot George Coetzee, Marc Warren of Scotland, Robert Rock of England and Bernd Wiseberger of Austria are level in the clubhouse with Els, who was criticized for making the course too tough after redesigning it in 2010.

"It was almost perfect," said Els, who has made tweaks to certain sections of the course since last year's event. "There's lots of scoring opportunities, more so than last year, so I think guys can go in with the mindset that if they have the right conditions, they can score a good score."

Third-ranked Lee Westwood shot a 70 to sit two strokes off the pace while playing partner Graeme McDowell ended up with a 74 after an unfortunate 8 on the par-5 last.

The 2010 U.S. Open champion was docked two shots after his ball moved as he approached it while in the trees to the right of the fairway.

"How are you supposed to attempt to replace the ball when you don't know the ball is moving in the first place?" McDowell said. "I probably should have called the referee -- I know what to do in the future, put it that way."

No. 2 Luke Donald, who can supplant McIlroy at the top of the rankings by defending his title here, was among the afternoon starters.

McIlroy missed the cut in his last tournament -- THE PLAYERS Championship at TPC Sawgrass -- and is in danger of doing the same at the European Tour's flagship event if he continues to struggle on the greens.

The 23-year-old Northern Irishman was 2 under after seven holes, following an eagle on No. 4 and a birdie three holes later, but he bogeyed four holes around the turn. After playing a poor third shot on the par-5 12th, moments after seeing his second fly out of bounds, McIlroy hurled his club in frustration.

"You think about the par 5s and you should be taking advantage there," McIlroy said. "Standing on the first tee, 3 or 4 under is the worst you should be shooting."

That's exactly what the 42-year-old Els did, a day after predicting low scoring in the warm sunshine this week.

The two-time U.S. Open champion made a 12-foot birdie putt at the par-3 second and reached the turn in 4 under after picking up further shots at Nos. 4, 6 and 7. He was the clear front runner after birdying Nos. 12 and 13 but bogeyed the next two holes and made a fine up and down from a greenside bunker on the last to avoid dropping from the leaderboard.

"I was trying to get something under 70 as I knew it was going to be perfect conditions but it's still tricky," Els said. "If you're marginally off, the course penalizes you."

I don't usually enjoy other people's misfortune, but after reading his statement about how he thinks he is the best player right now, I have to say I'm glad he had a bad day on the course.

No doubt, the kid is good, but that cockiness... is the only reason I don't root for him. Luke Donald on the other hand showed more class and humility when he was asked the same question.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

I don't usually enjoy other people's misfortune, but after reading his statement about how he thinks he is the best player right now, I have to say I'm glad he had a bad day on the course.

No doubt, the kid is good, but that cockiness... is the only reason I don't root for him. Luke Donald on the other hand showed more class and humility when he was asked the same question.

I agree. I have always liked Luke Donald better, and I usually root for him. I would be extremely happy if he got back to number one in the world. His 4-under round today is definitely the first step to that.

Inside My Blue Callaway Warbird X Golf Stand Bag:

Driver:Nike SQ 10.5* with Graphite Design Y6+

3W:Cobra S2 14*

4W: Nike SQ Dymo 17*

3H and 4H: Taylormade Rescue 19* and 22*

5H: Cleveland Mashie 23*

6H: Adams a3os Hollow-Back

7Iron-Sand Wedge:Callaway X-20 Series with Callaway Steel

Lob Wedge (60*):Cleveland CG-12 Black Pearl with Cleveland TRaction Steel Wedge Flex

Putter: Odyssey Versa #9

Golfball: Callaway Hex Black Tour

Would you prefer a cocky McIlroy, knowing his lack of humility is his true-self? I'm sure some people prefer to see a golfer's true face.

Or a humble McIlroy who sheds out the same old answers every single time just to please the press, even though he doesn't mean any of it?

I don't know, it's a tough call.

I'm rooting for Luke, regain the #1 spot and hold on to it for a while!

LUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUKE! The first time I heard it, I thought the crowd was booing him :lol:

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Would you prefer a cocky McIlroy, knowing his lack of humility is his true-self? I'm sure some people prefer to see a golfer's true face.

Or a humble McIlroy who sheds out the same old answers every single time just to please the press, even though he doesn't mean any of it?

I don't know, it's a tough call.

I'm rooting for Luke, regain the #1 spot and hold on to it for a while!

LUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUKE! The first time I heard it, I thought the crowd was booing him :lol:

I think Rory was sincere after Augusta, but all the attention has definitely affected him. People change under such a glaring spotlight. But it's all about how people react after screwing up though that defines who they are. I like Rory because of his raw talent, even though recently he's been way too conservative. He could take the path Tiger did and alienate all of his fans by becoming a giant douche, or he could repent, play cool and get some more wins to deserve #1. When I say repent I don't mean the lame Tiger cap tip to the crowd after a bogey. Phoney's are the worst.

All that said, the WGC rankings don't play a huge role in which golfers I like best. My favorites have long been Phil and Bubba because of their risky game and personalities. Plus my son roots for lefties since he's a lefty, so I root for them too.

Archived