Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

BOA vs. LACES

RTH1

I have used BOA's for years and enjoy the ease of adjusting the feel on the course. I have tried many brands through the years, but always come back to Foot Joy for the feel & fit to my feet.

I personally have never had a failure of any brand.

I don't think I will ever go back to laces, except for the rare occasion when I have on tennis shoe type golf shoes when running errands along with a quick nine!

Pars & Birdies!

I have a pair of FJ's with BOA, they don't seem to get tight enough for me. I have seen some models of golf shoes with 2 BOA tighteners per shoe on them, and it seems like they would tighten up better, but I haven't tried them yet. Most recent purchase of shoes were laced UA and laced Calloway both with replaceable spikes for a trip to Ireland. I do find I slip when wet in my spikeless shoes and I will see how my spiked shoes work in what could be wet Ireland golf in June.

I have original boas on some FJs that the sole of the shoe wore out and never have had a single issue with the boa system. I have other newer Puma and FJs with BOA and even have one with the arch top boa and rear boa for 2 different tightening points. The problem with them is the boa dial is very thin and not very prominently sticking up. I mean to say that it's a low profile dial and hard to get a good grip on to tighten. So it has never been an issue of durability (never had a failure on any boa) but rather, the functionality of it from day one. I have had issues kicking the rear ones lose by accidentally hitting the side of the dial and popping it loose. So maybe they were trying to avoid that issue with the new version. If it would just pop out a little further to get better grip, I would like the new version. 

Cart: image.png.50e429cab7658fa55a7699ecf1a9bc3b.pngElectric Cart Tek 1500

Driver: :ping-small: G430 LST  10.5  Mitsubishi Kai Li white 60 stiff

3 wood: :ping-small: G430 15 Mitsubishi Kai Li white 67 stiff

3 &4 hybrid:  pxg-logo.gif.f353978c9ce9413281f838c1a44b4b8e.gif0311 Gen 5 Mitsubishi MMT 80 stiff

Irons 5-GW:  pxg-logo.gif.f353978c9ce9413281f838c1a44b4b8e.gifPXG Gen 3 0311T Steelfiber 115 

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 6’s gw 50.8, sw 56.8, lob 62.8)

Putter: :odyssey-small: O-Works Red Versa #7S slant neck

Ball:  vice golf.png Vice Pro bridgestone_logo.jpg.4e27c12bc4cae05babb1372e71a3f149.jpg RXS

I've got a pair of Footjoy Fury Boa shoes and have had them for 4 years and they're still in really good condition and the Boa laces are flawless, the shoes are still waterproof too which is awesome 

Cobra Radspeed 10.5, TM SIM 15 3W, WilsonStaff D7 irons 4-GW TM hitoe 52 GW 56 SW and 60 LW Odyssey O Works 1 Blade Putter Play with Titleist ProV1 and Titleist AVX Yellow Balls

I have Ecco BOA and FJ hyperflex carbon laced, I choose the Ecco more often than not, easier to get on and off and a more complete fit, meaning my foot doesn't slip around in the shoe as much. Could just be the fit of the FJ but I would choose BOA over laces 

Lots of love for the BOA…personal preference so far, I just like the look of laces.  But, I also have never tried/worn a pair of BOA…

Will also re-tie the shoes of the round is going sideways…has to be the shoes and not the swing!  I don’t know why, just have done it for a while…maybe it’s just a reset.

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Stealth 3 wood

Titleist U510 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

I have 6 pairs of BOA golf shoes form three different manufacturers. They all have held up very well. My oldest pair are over 5 years old. Never going back to regular laces! 

Steven "Marty" Grant

I have the sketchers BOA equivalent.  The boa works fine.   The inside of the shoes are getting a little worn, but the mechanism works great and I really like the concept.  The little center plugs come out and I've lost one, but that doesn't affect functionality.

Callaway Mavrik Irons, Mizuno Hybrids, Mizuno ST200 Driver, Mizuno Wedges, Odyssey 10 Putter

7 hours ago, hoppman said:

I have a pair of FJ's with BOA, they don't seem to get tight enough for me. I have seen some models of golf shoes with 2 BOA tighteners per shoe on them, and it seems like they would tighten up better, but I haven't tried them yet. Most recent purchase of shoes were laced UA and laced Calloway both with replaceable spikes for a trip to Ireland. I do find I slip when wet in my spikeless shoes and I will see how my spiked shoes work in what could be wet Ireland golf in June.

I haven't found the right pair of boa golf shoes yet (I have weird feet), but I  have been using boa cycling shoes for decades. I definitely prefer the models with two dials. With that said,  there are many models of boa dials, and the ones that I hear are more expensive do seem to feel better.

Moose, my cat, is Siamese

1 hour ago, DCXMIKE said:

I have the sketchers BOA equivalent.  The boa works fine.   The inside of the shoes are getting a little worn, but the mechanism works great and I really like the concept.  The little center plugs come out and I've lost one, but that doesn't affect functionality.

Good to know!

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

I got a pair of FJ BOA for Christmas, my first pair ever, and finally used them. After one round the jury is still out. My pants kept getting caught on them, since the mechanism is on the heel of the shoe and I had to keep adjusting them during the round. I like the concept of BOA, but after I put my spikes on, I don't want to keep adjusting them throughout my round. 

Forged irons and Milled putters 

Golf shoe companies might want to take a closer look at the BOA approach La Sportiva has taken on their Cyklon and Jackal II trail running shoes. 

WITB - Callaway Epic Flash woods, 2019 Apex irons, Mizuno T-Zoid wedges, Ping Anser putter

8 hours ago, BKervin said:

I've tried on the BOA in multiple brands.  Can't find one that I can get tight enough on my foot.  I can tighten any area with my laces!

I want to love them (BOA), but I am just not completely sold.  I just got a new pair of the FJ premiere dry joys, my only complaint is that the ratchet is on the heel.  I'd like to see it on the outside edge of the shoe.  Flat laces can tighten anything.....

B_LinksGolf "Any day golfing is better than a day in the office"

What's in the Bag:

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST 3diamond LS: Tensei raw blue 65g stiff

3w/5w: Callaway Rogue ST LS: Tensei raw blue 65g stiff

4i-6i: Callaway '24 Apex CB/Modus 3 130 X-stiff

7i-10i: Callaway '24 Apex MB/Modus 3 130 X-stiff

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw (matte black) 50ºs-grind/54ºs-grind/58ºz-grind

Putter: Callaway AI-one Jailbird mini DB 35"

Tomorrow will be my first full round in the Skechers Twist boa style shoes.  Will report back my thoughts afterwards 

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

2 hours ago, Rob Person said:

Tomorrow will be my first full round in the Skechers Twist boa style shoes.  Will report back my thoughts afterwards 

So I looked at them and laughed thinking "what next" dang kids are so lazy they can't tie their shoes!!! I was looking for a pair of ZG23 Adidas to try on before i ordered anything on line and scrolling marketplace one night and brand new pair of ZF23 in size 12 but with that stupid "screw wheel" never worn they didn't fit and then this......35 bucks??? I was all over it I just wanted to try them on and see if 12 was what I needed. Needless to say I WILL NEVER OWN A GOLF SHOE WITHOUT IT AGAIN!!!!!  You can get the shoe tighter and it doesn't loosen, you never trip over your "boa" like you do laces and last but not least Chick's dig a guy rocking the BOS system!!! 🤣🤣

WITB

Driver is PING G430 MAX 10K 9° W/VENTUS BLACK 44.5"  TOUR VELVET GRIP

3 WOOD TAYLORMADE M2 15° W/ADDI BB TOUR VELVET GRIP

IRONS PING G410 4 AND 5 IRON W/X100 

IRONS 6-9 PING I200 W/X100 

WEDGES TITLEIST VOKEY SM8 48° CHROME

VOKEY 52°  56° AND 60 ALL IN CHROME FINISH WITH DYNAMIC GOLD AND MCC+4 GRIPS

SCOTTY CAMERON TOUR RAT GSS 350G MATADOR GRIP

SUN MOUNTAIN C-130 CART BAG NIKON LASER 

TITLEIST PRO V 1

3 hours ago, Marlin Dave said:

last but not least Chick's dig a guy rocking the BOS system!!! 🤣🤣

This is so reminiscent of the early 80s for me. One day my dad had 3 loop velcro shoes from k-mart. The next week all of us kids had them too. 😆 🤣 😂 

I have a pair of FJ's with the BOA system....  i'm not a big fan.   With the ratchet gizmo on the heel, i find that quite often getting in or out of a cart, the dial gets jostled and releases the tension on the laces which is a pain in the butt.  I mean, it works but i find myself messing around with the dials way more than a pair of shoes with laces.  I've got enough problems with my golf game.... i don't need to add wonky laces to the equation! 🤣

Since this is an ongoing topic,  I probably won't be doing an unofficial review of the skechers twist (boa style)  waterproof golf shoes, unless requested.

What I will.say is that I spent ALL Day on my feet wearing them, and have zero fatigue in my feet, ankles, or calves.  MInd you, these have hard spikes in the soles, and the soles themselves are pretty firm as well.

Only had to twist them tighter one time, after the first 15 minutes of wearing them.

I have 2 concerns though.   First is the material the upper is made of feels and acts like molded vinyl. Creases have developed in the toe box/flex area. If there is ever a waterpoof concern,  it will be there.

Secondly, I wish they had used grommets instead of sewn loops. This is where I fear a failure will occur first.

Only time will tell...

20240313_201352.jpg.0a1d0c3b45a7d1691b9650b4efc786d3.jpg20240313_201338.jpg.17011fe8973efb9ad43355b797b122d6.jpg

Edited by Rob Person

I've not used BOA for golf, but have on trail running shoes. Didn't like them at all. I actually like the ability for a cloth lace to have different tension over different parts of my foot. The friction allows a looser portion to stay (somewhat) looser, and yet keep another portion (somewhat) tighter. BOA didn't allow for that, so I ditched them.

Just my preference, of course.

do you even boa bruh?

IMG_1312.jpeg.5967293e8159609fc84712ff6ddc8e5e.jpegthe previous versions didn’t work for me, mainly because I couldn’t easily get my feet in and out of my correct size. I’m tempted to order a pair of these to see if they changed that. I love boa in my snowboard boots, but so far I haven’t found a pair between adidas and footjoy which work well for me for golf. 

D       ______ Ping G400
F{3|15} ______ Cobra King F9
X{3|19} ______ Ping G425 Hybrid 
I{5|24} {6|27} {7|31} {8|35} {9|40} Callaway Apex CF16

W{45|50} _____ Vokey SM8
W{54|58} _____ Vokey SM9
P ____________ L.A.B. DF 2.1 w/ Stability

• 3 weeks later...

1 month later update on GoGolf skechers Twist shoes.

I've used these almost for every round and practice session. They are extremely comfortable and have had no disc loosening or slipping issues. Still concerned with the possible cracking. 

image.png.d3a911a5748494802d6ee16490ad1afe.png

Worn these G/fore drive shoes about 2 dozen times mostly just casually but they've seen maybe a half dozen 9 hole rounds.  They are still basically like new, but I'm outside G/fore's ridiculous 90 day warranty period so they won't fix or replace them.  They gave me a one time good will store credit of $125 which is half the price of a replacement.  Needless to say I will be sticking with adidas and other brands that use genuine boa components in their laceless systems since they provide a lifetime warranty.  I'm a big fan of boa and my code chaos shoes are still going strong but I'll consider this a lessons learned to avoid all the copy cats out there.

10 hours ago, ChitownM2 said:

image.png.d3a911a5748494802d6ee16490ad1afe.png

Worn these G/fore drive shoes about 2 dozen times mostly just casually but they've seen maybe a half dozen 9 hole rounds.  They are still basically like new, but I'm outside G/fore's ridiculous 90 day warranty period so they won't fix or replace them.  They gave me a one time good will store credit of $125 which is half the price of a replacement.  Needless to say I will be sticking with adidas and other brands that use genuine boa components in their laceless systems since they provide a lifetime warranty.  I'm a big fan of boa and my code chaos shoes are still going strong but I'll consider this a lessons learned to avoid all the copy cats out there.

This is also a fear of mine with the skechers Twist shoes.