Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

How many of the top 100 have you played?

Javs

How many of the top 100 have you played and which was the best? For me, I have played 12 of them. The Old Course during a buddies trip was the best!

https://golf.com/travel/courses/top-100-golf-courses-world-2023-24/?utm_campaign=PANTHEON_STRIPPED&utm_content=PANTHEON_STRIPPED&utm_medium=PANTHEON_STRIPPED&utm_source=PANTHEON_STRIPPED&utm_term=PANTHEON_STRIPPED&amp=1

Play like a champion today!

24 minutes ago, Javs said:

How many of the top 100 have you played and which was the best?

Have played Zero.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

6 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Have played Zero.

giphy.gif

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

4 minutes ago, Javs said:

Sounds like you need a buddies trip! Ha ha

Need a sugar momma first so I can afford the buddy trip. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I've played 14 of them, primarily those in Scotland and Ireland.  Its a completely different culture there, most of the great courses allow outside play.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Let me think... 

giphy.gif

None 😧

Loved looking through that though, number 88 looks incredible. 

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

4 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I've played 14 of them, primarily those in Scotland and Ireland.  Its a completely different culture there, most of the great courses allow outside play.

Just curious which of the 14 did you like the best?

I wonder how many of the 100 are public? 

I played #32 - Pacific Dunes; it was expensive (400) and I tipped the caddy (100) - was it worth 500 to play? Probably not but my buddy was real sick and wanted to play there while he still could.

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

7 minutes ago, Javs said:

Just curious which of the 14 did you like the best?

I think my favorite course, of all I've played, is Royal Dornoch.  

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

1 minute ago, StrokerAce said:

I wonder how many of the 100 are public? 

I played #32 - Pacific Dunes; it was expensive (400) and I tipped the caddy (100) - was it worth 500 to play? Probably not but my buddy was real sick and wanted to play there while he still could.

Glad you were able to play with your buddy. My experience has been that the courses in Scotland and Ireland have easier access and are cheaper to play than those here in the USA. 

18 and Old Town may be the most underrated. Turnberry least appreciated. 

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

I have only played three.

Bethpage Black (back before the PGA Tour came in and redid it and raised the price by 800%) Played it a bunch of times.

Garden City (back before I had a decent golf game)

Southern Hills (after the re-design and the week after the PGA Championship was there in 2022) 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

On 11/2/2023 at 9:12 AM, Javs said:

How many of the top 100 have you played and which was the best? For me, I have played 12 of them. The Old Course during a buddies trip was the best!

https://golf.com/travel/courses/top-100-golf-courses-world-2023-24/?utm_campaign=PANTHEON_STRIPPED&utm_content=PANTHEON_STRIPPED&utm_medium=PANTHEON_STRIPPED&utm_source=PANTHEON_STRIPPED&utm_term=PANTHEON_STRIPPED&amp=1

If you go by that list, it is (6) courses for me, and it is difficult to say which was "the best". Based on my playing partners that day, it would have to be Pinehurst #2, where I was hosted by the retired Battalion Chief of the NYFD, who had become partially disabled in the 911 attacks on the World Trade Center (but could still shoot scratch golf on that course, and did so the day that I played with him). Or it may have been the Easter Sunday round that I played from the tips at Bethpage Black in 2002, with three regular golfing buddies of mine, two of whom are no longer with us.  My favorite among those courses on this Top 100 List was Royal Troon, but only by a small margin.

Come back and ask me again a year from now, after I get to play (4) more of the courses on this Top 100 Courses list (Old Course at St Andrews, Carnoustie, North Berwick (West) and Kingsbarns, and I may have a different answer.

On some other Top 100 lists, not including the Top 100 in the USA, where I have played about (20) of the courses, I have played as many as (13) of their Top 100 courses worldwide, and I would probably include Kapalua's Plantation Course, where I played on my 25th Wedding Anniversary, among my favorites, if not the absolute #1 favorite.

Edited by funkyjudge

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - Callaway Paradym 3HL, Newton Motion Fairway shaft, 4-Dot

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Callaway Paradym, HZRDUS Silver Gen 4, S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - (currently in flux, but usually an Evnroll 8V

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Ghost Golf Maverick Black Ops

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

23 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

I think my favorite course, of all I've played, is Royal Dornoch.  

I wanted to get up there when my wife and I were in Scotland last summer, but we never got that far north, and I got COVID the day after we arrived in Edinburgh (luckily after I had already played four of the other courses on this list).  Perhaps I will get up to Dornoch next year when we are in Scotland, and when I will get to play 4 more courses on this list.

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, funkyjudge said:

If you go by that list, it is (6) courses for me, and it is difficult to say which was "the best". Based on my playing partners that day, it would have to be Pinehurst #2, where I was hosted by the retired Battalion Chief of the NYFD, who had become partially disabled in the 911 attacks on the World Trade Center (but could still shoot scratch golf on that course, and did so the day that I played with him). Or it may have been the Easter Sunday round that I played from the tips at Bethpage Black in 2002, with three regular golfing buddies of mine, two of whom are no longer with us.  My favorite among those courses on this Top 100 List was Royal Troon, but only by a small margin.

Come back and ask me again a year from now, after I get to play (4) more of the courses on this Top 100 Courses list (Old Course at St Andrews, Carnoustie, North Berwick (West) and Kingsbarns, and I may have a different answer.

On some other Top 100 lists, not including the Top 100 in the USA, where I have played about (20) of the courses, I have played as many as (13) of their Top 100 courses worldwide, and I would probably include Kapalua's Plantation Course, where I played on my 25th Wedding Anniversary, among my favorites, if not the absolute #1 favorite.

Great response and I know you will love Old Course at St Andrews, Carnoustie, North Berwick (West) and Kingsbarns. The caddie I had was great at the Old Course and he helped a lot! I shot 74 from the tips. We then went drinking with our caddies. Carnoustie is a very hard golf course. Kingsbarns might have been my favorite in Scotland. Every hole was like it’s own picture! Troon, Turnburry and Murfield are also great courses. Hope you have fun on the trip!

Have played? 1: Oak Hill East

Have stepped foot on? 3: Lahinch, Royal Portrush, Oak hill. 

Some of your lists are pretty incredible to have played a decent amount of these courses. I'm hoping to cross a few more off my list next season though!

Current WITB:

Driver:                      image.png.ad4d66f798557c86ee934344d1a24ed2.png       Paradym 10.5 Ventus Black 6S

Fairway:                   image.png.3077938d887c52577470dba42554f0aa.png     ST-Z 230 3-Wood (15°) HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 60 Official Test

Hybrid:                    image.png.a874a9a429fd132acae64968308d6a89.png     ST-Z 230 Hybrid (19°) Ventus Blue HB-8 Official Test

Irons:                       image.png.a874a9a429fd132acae64968308d6a89.png     MP-18 MMC (4-9)

Wedges:     image.png.8641af187e8958a5ff8c3c2146b1fc7c.png  Vokey SM8 (46.10F, 50.12F, 54.14F, 58.12D)

Putter:                image.png.a85c45cc6c173613e90f345a17c689b4.png      Select Squareback 2 34.5 Ping Corded 88G PP58 grip double taped

Ball:                       image.png.c4e52864bdd9535caa79ae03a9376870.png        Pro-V1 (currently testing the Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track)

Reviews:

2023 Red Rooster Sussex Glove Official Forum Test

2023 Mizuno Long Game Official Forum Test

10 hours ago, Javs said:

. We then went drinking with our caddies.

Enquiring minds want to know, where did you go for drinks.  Dunvegan, the Keys, someplace else?

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Dunvegan It was and a long night as well. Then we had a round the next day on the Jubilee and same caddies. Repeated the drinking after the round! Found out that the caddies had a side bet going on the 4 of us. Ha ha, then I knew why he was pushing me so hard! Had a great time. 
    Oh and fun fact. One of my buddies from the trip had a daughter that played very good junior golf. She is now attending St. Andrews University. Very cool! Her graduation will be a reason for us to go back!

Edited by Javs

12 hours ago, Javs said:

Great response and I know you will love Old Course at St Andrews, Carnoustie, North Berwick (West) and Kingsbarns. The caddie I had was great at the Old Course and he helped a lot! I shot 74 from the tips. We then went drinking with our caddies. Carnoustie is a very hard golf course. Kingsbarns might have been my favorite in Scotland. Every hole was like it’s own picture! Troon, Turnburry and Murfield are also great courses. Hope you have fun on the trip!

My playing partners and I had a couple rounds of drinks with our caddies after playing Royal Birkdale in NW England last July. We also learned a few expressions for putts that came up just short or lipped-out, but they are inappropriate for a mixed audience.

However, the caddies that we had at the two Scottish courses that we played later that week (Royal Troon and the Ailsa Course at Trump Turnberry) topped those English caddies in many respects. We played in absolutely miserable weather at Turnberry, with sideways rain blowing in off the Irish Sea and visibility that only extended about 150 yards. Without the caddies we had that day, we would literally have been lost. Those caddies also did everything within their power to keep our spirits up in spite of the horrible weather and less than ideal course conditions.

Edited by funkyjudge

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, funkyjudge said:

My playing partners and I had a couple rounds of drinks with our caddies after playing Royal Birkdale in NW England last July. We also learned a few expressions for putts that came up just short or lipped-out, but they are inappropriate for a mixed audience.

However, the caddies that we had at the two Scottish courses that we played later that week (Royal Troon and the Ailsa Course at Trump Turnberry) topped those English caddies in many respects. We played in absolutely miserable weather at Turnberry, with sideways rain blowing in off the Irish Sea and visibility that only extended about 150 yards. Without the caddies we had that day, we would literally have been lost. Those caddies also did everything within their power to keep our spirits up in spite of the horrible weather and less than ideal course conditions.

Yes, they are great! I remember I am on number 6 at the Old Course and my caddie comes up to me. He says “mate you are playing the Old Course” and I say yes I am. He then says “mate you can actually play and I have money on you”. I look at him and he says “mate just listen to me and play this is once in a lifetime”. He was correct, it became fun and shooting 2 over the first time I played the Old course from the tips was a memory. Then we drank! Oh, and yes he won money that day and the next on Jubilee. 

Had the pleasure of playing Arcadia Bluffs on Wednesday. 

It was a brisk 40 degrees, about 30 with the wind chill...... but the wife and I had an absolute blast, those propane cart heaters were absolutely clutch. 

I shot an 88 from the whites, handfull of pars and nothing worse than a double, lost 3 balls. 

Would love to come back and play it during season. 

Driver: Callaway Paradyme Smoke Max, 9* stiff flex

5 wood: Sub 70

7 wood: Sub 70

Driving 2 iron: PXG 0311 X, reg flex steel

5-PW: Callaway Paradyme, 1/2" over, neutral lie, reg flex.

50/54/58 deg wedges: Sub 70

Putter: PXG GEN 1 Brandon, 35" shaft.

Ball: Vice Pro Zero

I've played 23 of the courses, many of them in Scotland, Ireland and Northern Ireland.  Not so many in the US.

Royal Dornoch probably tops my personal list.  There's just something special about that course.  Enjoyed it every time I've played it. 

In the US, toss up between Sand Hills and Bandon Dunes.  

Have been blessed to have played six and guess my favorite has been Cabot Cliffs, Inverness, Novia Scotia.  Played in the fall before it was opened to the public the following spring.   

Driver - TSi3 10.75* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TR

Fairway - TSi2 14.25* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 

Fairway - TSR1 17.0* - Fujikura Vista Pro 65S

Hybrid - TSR1 19.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75  

Hybrid - TSR1 23.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75

Irons - T350 (2023) - 5-48W - True Temper AMT Red 95g-107g

Wedges - Vokey SM9 - 52.08F, 56.10S - True Temper AMT Red 94 

**  GolfPride MCC +4 Midsize Grips  (all woods/irons/wedges)

Putter - 2023 Scotty Cameron Super Select Squareback 2 35" 

**  Superstroke 1.0 Pistol Grip  

Golf Ball - TITLEIST - Prov1 (2023)                                                         

Golf Bags - TITLEIST  - Cart 14 (black), Mid Size Tour (black/white)

Golf Glove - FootJoy (StaSof), Shoes, Apparel and Outerwear        

Rangefinder - Bushnell Pro XE

I've played two:  Ballybunion  and Oak Hill.   

Having been born, raised, and had my career in Rochester, NY it was always a dream to play Oak Hill.  In the summer of 1995, a friend who is a member called me at work and asked if I wanted to play that afternoon.   It was the last day the East course would be open before it shut down for the Ryder Cup.  I jumped at the chance.  What I remember most was they were letting the rough grow longer than usual.  On the first par 5, my drive landed in the rough.  Luckily, we had caddies, and they were down range and found it.   I stepped into the rough and my shoes disappeared.  It took me three shots to get out and back into the fairway.  I actually played pretty well that day (except for the previously mention hole).   

Now that I'm older, there's time that I feel that my game is not good enough to play great venues.  Sort of like Wayne and Garth meeting Alice Cooper in Wayne's World....I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy!  However, there's still something special about teeing it up hallowed ground as a once in a lifetime experience.

Party on Wayne...Party on Garth!

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  

• 1 month later...

Considering the exclusive nature or out of the way locations of the US courses listed, it is not surprising that I had to travel overseas to knock out my first 2.

My son and I visited Scotland in May of 2023. We were able to play 2 rounds at Royal Dornoch, thanks to Chris from Alberta (international member) who hooked us up for the 2nd Round. Iowa nice paid off that day! The course sits in a small town and you see quickly why Royal Dornoch is not in the Open rota. Amazing course and definitely worth the trek to the Highlands.

Our last day was spent marveling at the masterpiece that is Kingsbarns. Every hole is a visual treat and I can't imagine I will ever play a course that is so stunning and where the variety of shots I played will be matched. As my awesome caddy said more than once, "I've never read that putt before!" 

We managed to play 3 additional courses in the 6 days. I highly recommend Brora, about 30 minutes north of Royal Dornoch, cattle and sheep roaming the course and some views that can't be matched almost anywhere else.

:callaway-small: Mavrik 9 Degree

image.png.ee19b0f17da7a45faaa30e114f86e3c9.png  Mavrik 4 Wood

image.png.cdd20ffc100c65049392af87e0ae3e49.png  Mavrik 3 Hybrid

image.png.5e6ae6d961fc0d5a2a4e5185f0e0c918.png  Mavrik 4 Hybrid

:cleveland-small: CBX 52 Degree

:cleveland-small: Smart Sole S

:odyssey-small: White Hot #5

On 1/1/2024 at 10:06 PM, Iowa Hacker said:

My son and I visited Scotland in May of 2023. We were able to play 2 rounds at Royal Dornoch, thanks to Chris from Alberta (international member) who hooked us up for the 2nd Round. Iowa nice paid off that day! The course sits in a small town and you see quickly why Royal Dornoch is not in the Open rota. Amazing course and definitely worth the trek to the Highlands.

We managed to play 3 additional courses in the 6 days. I highly recommend Brora, about 30 minutes north of Royal Dornoch, cattle and sheep roaming the course and some views that can't be matched almost anywhere else.

Dornoch and Brora are both awesome! I played them both in October. According to the latest Golf Digest top 100 I could find, I played four of them over there: the Old Course, Cruden Bay, Dornoch and Machrihanish (my avatar pic was taken on the first tee of the Old Course, attached is a pic I took from the Dornoch clubhouse after battling 35-mph winds all the way around, and the view from the first tee at Machrihanish, which some have called the best opening tee shot in golf). Loved all four and hope to play them all again. As for Brora, I'm actually considering obtaining an overseas membership there. With reciprocal agreements with Dornoch and other courses in the area (half price or less), the membership would more than pay for itself on a week's trip. They haven't posted their 2024 membership prices, but for 2023 it was 340 pounds; high season 2023 green fee for foreigners was 125 pounds for a single round, and 140 pounds in 2024.

Closest top 100 to me is Pinehurst #2, but in a weird way its proximity is a negative: Because you have to stay at the resort to play there, I'm reluctant to shell out that kind of money for lodging and green fee to play a course that could easily be a day trip (about 2.5 hour drive from Casa ILMgolfnut).

dornochrain.jpg

Mach2.jpg

Edited by ILMgolfnut
adding pictures

Obsessed with chasing the dimpled orb.

More about me:  WITB type stuff

Fit For Golf tester 2024

Update: Brora released its 2024 prices this morning. 372 pounds for the overseas membership including all fees. At current exchange rates that's $471.

Three rounds there alone would pay for the membership,never mind reciprocal privileges, and there are memberships at a lot worse courses around me that are waaaay more expensive than $471 a year.

Edited by ILMgolfnut

Obsessed with chasing the dimpled orb.

More about me:  WITB type stuff

Fit For Golf tester 2024