2023 Titleist White Box Testing Thread

GolfSpy_APH

Durability: After 1 round the ball and cover held up reasonably well, but it shaved on wedge shots, especially from the sand.      

Distance:  I found the test AVX test ball to be longer off the tee & irons.  The trajectory is lower than my gamer, the ProV1 & had more of a penetrating ball flight.  Spin is definitely less and the ball is very straight in flight.  It was actually very hard for me to not hit it straight or with a slight draw.  My draw is coming back, so I'm happy about that.  

Flight and trajectory:  The AVX test balls, with the penetrating ball flight, really plays well in the wind.  I could hit some nice piercing trajectory iron shots under the wind & would still "drop & stop" like all Titleist balls claim.  That is the main complaint I have with my gamer, the ProV1 just doesn't play well in the wind.  I suspect that's because of the increased spin.  (combined with my lack of control of my clubface LOL)  I'm sure I would see more runout, if the fairways weren't so soft.  I would put the trajectory somewhere between the ProV1 & the X.  

Irons: The irons just seem to pop into the ball & iit seems to fly off the face of the club. I hit a number of short irons long, especially wedges.  Trying to get used to new irons with a combination of a newer, longer ball will take me a bit more practice.  From about the 7-iron down thru the wedges, the test ball would perform as all Titleist balls ... drop & stop.  As opposed to the V1, it would back up more.  I just couldn't put enough spin on the test ball to back it up.  Which is fine with me because I really don't rely on throwing it long & backing it up to the pin.  Maybe I should, because my stats show 43% of my irons are short of the target.  

AVX.jpg.f54214484b81a2729a2a1cd9761aa89e.jpg

Wedges:  Full shots into the green were high trajectory & stop on a dime.  I never really had them advance too far once landing.  Possibly because all the greens I play are soft usually year round.  If I were to play on hard, fast greens, then this ball might not be ideal.  Bump and runs were Ok after I got used to how the ball released. 

AVX_1.jpg.6e0d4838b6892eac72a41daba8f521e0.jpg

This was one of the many darts I threw during my round.  

AVX_3.jpg.8cf84c4bc02bdddb24809b7ebc88eafc.jpg

Putting:  Nice sound to it off the putter face, very straight and true roll.  Nice & soft, which is surprising, as the AVX in general before was a lot harder.  Very little difference between the test ball & the ProV1 .... drained putts with both of them.  I could get used to using this ball full time for sure.  Putting feel is where it's at for me.  

AVX_4.jpg.d2d4d8a66a08e382b04766b5ec6233a5.jpg

Overall:  The AVX test ball is a very hot off the face ball, especially in the irons.  Very low spinning and lower trajectory, which I liked, especially off the tee, as I usually hit a high ball as it is.  It was also slightly longer in the irons, especially the shorter irons for some reason.  I will have confirmation of that soon enough when I get numbers off the Rapsodo.  The test ball has a relatively soft feel, especially off the putter.  Even though I prefer more spin and control around the greens, I could get used to it in the long run after some more practice.  Probably because I don't quite swing it very fast anymore, as father time is creeping ever so slowly, not in my favor.  So for my swing speed (95 - 102 mph) this may be a good ball of choice in the near future.  

Another dart!  I hit some especially close short irons that round.  I just wish they would send us more than just a sleeve of balls.  I'm so afraid of just absolutely putting a horrible swing on one & hitting it off the map & losing a ball 

AVX_5.jpg.39e7857a91678b603cf5eaf4b670c9af.jpg

More numbers & thoughts to come, as soon as I get the Rapsodo out.  My testing is far from done!  

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:     :titleist-small: TSR3 9* UST Mamiya Proto LIN-Q Blue 

Fairways   :titleist-small: TSi2 UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue 13.5* 

Driving Iron:   :titleist-small: U500 17* :Fuji:  Blue Ventus HB Velocore 

Irons   :titleist-small: T350 4 & 5, T200 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges    :vokey-small: SM9 48*, SM9 52*, SM8 56* Modus Tour Wedge 

Putter    :cameron-small: Newport 2 w/ Garsen Ultimate grip 

Ball    :titleist-small:  *ProV1 Left Dot

5 hours ago, JackBurtonsPorkchopExpress said:

Just across the river from you in STL. Great review! 

Hey there, yeah 🙂 Also I noticed @Parshooter36 also not too far away in Salem, IL (posted on page 3). Small world, good density of Titleist white box testers around here.

Driver: ping.png.006bacb76d65413e66b9c8eb1b47f592.png G400 LST 8.5°

3W: cobra2.png.60653951979ca617ca859530a17d0a2d.png King Speedzone

Irons: ping.png.006bacb76d65413e66b9c8eb1b47f592.png i200 (3 thru PW & UW)

Wedge: Ray Cook 60 deg

Putter: Spalding TP Mills 3

Tech: golfshot.png.5c17c64b9425413b3bf24668ce3fa044.png on Apple Watch & phone

12 minutes ago, HikingMike said:

Hey there, yeah 🙂 Also I noticed @Parshooter36 also not too far away in Salem, IL (posted on page 3). Small world, good density of Titleist white box testers around here.

My son just graduated from Edwardsville this past spring and I have another son that lives in Alton, so I have spent my fair share of time over your way.

Driver: :taylormade-small: QI10 Max
Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3HL
Fairway: :ping-small: G425 Max 9 Wood
Hybrid: :PXG: 0317 5 & 6 Hybrids

Irons: :srixon-small: ZX4 7-AW
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50° 54° & 58°
Putter:   :edel-golf-1:
 Array F-3 
Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour Yellow

1 hour ago, golfinnut said:

Durability: After 1 round the ball and cover held up reasonably well, but it shaved on wedge shots, especially from the sand.      

Distance:  I found the test AVX test ball to be longer off the tee & irons.  The trajectory is lower than my gamer, the ProV1 & had more of a penetrating ball flight.  Spin is definitely less and the ball is very straight in flight.  It was actually very hard for me to not hit it straight or with a slight draw.  My draw is coming back, so I'm happy about that.  

Flight and trajectory:  The AVX test balls, with the penetrating ball flight, really plays well in the wind.  I could hit some nice piercing trajectory iron shots under the wind & would still "drop & stop" like all Titleist balls claim.  That is the main complaint I have with my gamer, the ProV1 just doesn't play well in the wind.  I suspect that's because of the increased spin.  (combined with my lack of control of my clubface LOL)  I'm sure I would see more runout, if the fairways weren't so soft.  I would put the trajectory somewhere between the ProV1 & the X.  

Irons: The irons just seem to pop into the ball & iit seems to fly off the face of the club. I hit a number of short irons long, especially wedges.  Trying to get used to new irons with a combination of a newer, longer ball will take me a bit more practice.  From about the 7-iron down thru the wedges, the test ball would perform as all Titleist balls ... drop & stop.  As opposed to the V1, it would back up more.  I just couldn't put enough spin on the test ball to back it up.  Which is fine with me because I really don't rely on throwing it long & backing it up to the pin.  Maybe I should, because my stats show 43% of my irons are short of the target.  

Wedges:  Full shots into the green were high trajectory & stop on a dime.  I never really had them advance too far once landing.  Possibly because all the greens I play are soft usually year round.  If I were to play on hard, fast greens, then this ball might not be ideal.  Bump and runs were Ok after I got used to how the ball released. 

Putting:  Nice sound to it off the putter face, very straight and true roll.  Nice & soft, which is surprising, as the AVX in general before was a lot harder.  Very little difference between the test ball & the ProV1 .... drained putts with both of them.  I could get used to using this ball full time for sure.  Putting feel is where it's at for me.  

Overall:  The AVX test ball is a very hot off the face ball, especially in the irons.  Very low spinning and lower trajectory, which I liked, especially off the tee, as I usually hit a high ball as it is.  It was also slightly longer in the irons, especially the shorter irons for some reason.  I will have confirmation of that soon enough when I get numbers off the Rapsodo.  The test ball has a relatively soft feel, especially off the putter.  Even though I prefer more spin and control around the greens, I could get used to it in the long run after some more practice.  Probably because I don't quite swing it very fast anymore, as father time is creeping ever so slowly, not in my favor.  So for my swing speed (95 - 102 mph) this may be a good ball of choice in the near future.  

Another dart!  I hit some especially close short irons that round.  I just wish they would send us more than just a sleeve of balls.  I'm so afraid of just absolutely putting a horrible swing on one & hitting it off the map & losing a ball 

More numbers & thoughts to come, as soon as I get the Rapsodo out.  My testing is far from done!  

Very nice test and well written review with lots of great pictures.  Thanks for sharing.

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2 plus, LA golf DJ shaft, 55S

3 wood - TM Stealth plus, Mitsubishi Kai’li. Blue, 5 wood - TM Stealth plus,  Hzrdus red, 3 hybrid Mizuno CLK, Fuji pro

Irons (5-PW) - Mizuno 921 HMP, Accra IS 80

Wedges, Vokey SM9 48*10F, 54* 12D, 58* 8M, DG S400

Putter: Evnroll tour, stability shaft, Evnroll gravity grip

Bag: Vessel Cobra tour stand bag

Balls: Titleist ProV1x, Callaway Chrome soft X LS, Bridgestone Tour B XS or Srixon Z star Diamond

Tech: Arccos, Bushnell Pro XE rangefinder image.jpeg.6421bf4c3e32ba5a27f4fe57d0571222.jpeg

Should be finalizing my review in the next day or so. 

This is a great comparison hole. 2 nearly identical shots right at the pin. Identical trajectories and distance. The reactions are literally the difference between birdie and bogey.. can anybody find the 2nd ball? It's in this pic somewhere. and which one is which? 😁

20231114_095844.jpg.b5f5095256690c038c0a82f21a25efbc.jpg

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

15 hours ago, HikingMike said:

Hey this is my first test! Fun times 🙂 Great posts everybody btw. I finished reading through the thread, phew.

I game a Titleist AVX most often. Otherwise I find a fair amount of Pro V1s at my home course and I like playing those. And I'll definitely try some others now and then. But like everyone else, I noticed the similarities with the AVX's flat dimples right away.

So Friday I had my Covid and flu shots scheduled. The weather turned out to be nice and my spouse was working and I was off. Hmm interesting. I have lots of things I should be doing, but it was still light outside and now might be the time to try out these shiny Titleist TEST balls. That is an obligation. I made a promise after all.

I made a couple quick googles. It turns out light exercise after your vaccines is fine, and can actually boost antibodies for flu and Covid vaccines and make them more effective. Also, arm movement helps to reduce muscle soreness from a shoulder shot. Heck yeah, let’s gooooo!

IMG_8939_12.jpg.cd152e5a31cdc7fc8d09f566fe817427.jpg

The high was 58F, sunny with a light breeze - a bit lucky there with the late Fall weather here in the St. Louis area this year. I figured the course would be fairly open so I walked my first 9 of the year! I like walking, but don't get to often since nobody else I know walks. 

I wouldn't have been considering golfing at all if I hadn't gotten these tester golf balls. So there you have it folks. In conclusion, these new top secret Titleist golf balls can increase your antibodies and boost your immune system, especially with the proper level of Zinc and Vitamin D. There, I win the reviews. 🏆

By the time I finished, my shoulders were getting sore, the temp had probably dipped to the high 40s F (low was 30), and the sun was setting. But I shot pretty well and it was great to get out. No 3 putts, and I didn't lose a ball, though the TEST ball did take a peek into the edge of a hazard. I know you may be young and inexperienced, TEST, but trust me, don't go there.

IMG_8942_25.jpg.61cf814b1cb443ab6220a19c7438f739.jpg

IMG_8941_25.jpg.566c5974a5ee765f97f24ded917bcd62.jpg

Here are the day's contestants, at least for the #1 tee. I ended up not hitting the Pro V1x here though. After 1, I continued playing with the TEST and the AVX for the remaining 8 holes, each ball playing independently. Thankfully I had an empty enough course that I didn't bother anyone. #1 turned out to be the best driving hole of the day. The TEST and the AVX were very even at around 300 yards. The Callaway Supersoft I didn't hit as well and pulled it a little so it was shorter, my bad there. I have played Supersofts before and liked them fine, I seem to drive them well normally. #1 was also my only birdie. Of course I made the longer putt (the AVX) and missed the shorter one (TEST). So TEST did have the better pitch shot.

IMG_8965_25.jpg.6e6fa4660ed160438fed74d9796625f7.jpg 

By the way, I think I can drive 300 yards occasionally because I am also a member of r/golf on Reddit. Anyone? You know who you are, lol.

IMG_8944_25.jpg.d93441aff3c9189caae8a1dcb8cc84ae.jpg

Time to get up and down for par with Mr. TEST. Done.

IMG_8946_25.jpg.0b8436312c7571a99f82f9dda0243124.jpg

Low fade punch time. Doh, too much fade.

IMG_8949_25.jpg.c4a14053c177b8a81b6d4f13ab13192d.jpg

This chip scared me a bit with the AVX, but I actually put a really nice one up there, though I couldn't make the par putt.

IMG_8956_25.jpg.5d7062086241929caabbfa26cb452379.jpg

IMG_8955_25.jpg.5a8943386d9320794d6a4af5e4b1325a.jpg

I also didn't make TEST's putt here on the same green.

IMG_8959_25.jpg.9a6a01fddf0a4961b0d5d87bf5518e12.jpg

No way am I seeing these 2 drives into the sun at sunset. Good thing they were down the middle!! TEST's was better here, right over the sun, and got me a par.

IMG_8961_25.jpg.d9170e84899b4ca66f7e55b9eff27fd1.jpg

Score 
AVX 41 (16 putts)
TEST 42 (16 putts)

More about the TEST - 

I liked hitting it, putting, etc. I liked the feel, though I think I liked the feel of the AVX slightly better. That is super subjective and I don't have a reason there. To be honest I don't know what I can tell since probably the biggest thing affecting my game is inconsistent swings 🙂

Driver - the TEST and the AVX seemed neck and neck in distance. I wish I could tell you my driver swing speed. I do have my 3 wood club speed at 98.2 mph and my 7 iron at 90.6 mph when I fitted a couple years back.

Oddly I had the TEST make an unexpected fade for me a couple times with driver, but nothing extreme. I normally play a draw. It was odd because it didn't feel it like it normally would with a miss right. The ball isn't going to cause a stealth fade (right?), but I just mention this for completeness. The distance was surprisingly about my normal. Maybe the hardness of the ground cancelled out any loss from the cooler temps. Also the AVX is a lower spinning ball and perhaps that helped. Did it also help the TEST ball? 🤔 Reading through all the posts, I noticed some testers noticed more spin and some noticed less spin than their gamers or other Titleists. 

Irons - I think my iron distances were slightly short due to the cooler temps, and that would still be consistent with my driver observation since the irons don't have roll-out. But I had a really nice 8 iron onto a green with the TEST ball on #7 (still shorter than expected), and 2-putt for par. I was also able to get it up over a close tree with my PW as a recovery shot on a par 5, and it had the trajectory I expected and was hoping for, definitely with some slice I was adding too. The fading punch out 3 iron under a tree with TEST went how I wanted except faded too much and into a bunker.

Putting - I made 2 nice putts with both and both felt good. Both the TEST and the AVX had 16 putts. The TEST had 3 greens in regulation and the AVX had 2 GIR.

Some have said it's in between the Pro V1 and AVX. I would say it's a little different. Someone else said it's a softer AVX, and I would definitely lean toward that. Spinning? I couldn't tell. My ball stuck for my GIR like normal. It's rare that I spin balls back with anything though. 

Durability seemed fine. It was really shiny/glossy for sure, so that makes me feel like it would be a softer cover. Besides a small dark mark on it that it picked up, I would only know I had played 9 holes with it if I looked very closely. There was maybe a tiny line on it and a no longer glossy spot on the ridges, but no pieces sticking up or anything. I don't really tear them up with wedges though. I didn't hit it with my 60 degree and I don't have anything between that and a 50 degree GW in my iron set. I guess sign me up for the next wedge testing.

I wish I had a sim or launch monitor like you guys, kinda jealous here. But I'm happy to see your numbers comparisons. I may have to try doing some chipping practice around a practice green next. I'll post more thoughts regardless.

Many thanks to MyGolfSpy and Titleist for this!

Love the pictures. Great job on the review!

Damien--Titleist & TaylorMade enthusiast. Bag is feeling betrayed with no TaylorMade items in it currently. Former College golfer.

image.png.d46e5ea58c55d6c5b02a89db1e501fe0.pngCallaway Paradym AI Smoke Max 10.5 

image.png  Titleist 816 H1 Hybrid 19*

image.png.1bd1e1ee5179defcf5675fc4508a582b.png  Byrdie Golf Designs OG Collection Irons 4-PW 

image.png CG14 60 degree

image.png.968287d9caeb64893046ab6bd3357bf0.pngT22 Copper C Grind 56.06 Degree

Pinemeadow EGI Chipper

image.png Cleveland Cleveland Golf HB Soft Premier #10.5C OS 35"

image.png.13bdddbdaccc707e6f342d9f8e7bfe4e.png OnCore Vero X2 & X1 balls

Red Rooster Testing Review:

Titleist White Box Testing Review:

2 hours ago, HikingMike said:

I recently moved from the Mehlville, Lemay area of STL to Fort Worth. Small world!

Damien--Titleist & TaylorMade enthusiast. Bag is feeling betrayed with no TaylorMade items in it currently. Former College golfer.

image.png.d46e5ea58c55d6c5b02a89db1e501fe0.pngCallaway Paradym AI Smoke Max 10.5 

image.png.1bd1e1ee5179defcf5675fc4508a582b.png  Byrdie Golf Designs OG Collection Irons 4-PW 

image.png CG14 60 degree

Pinemeadow EGI Chipper

2 hours ago, azstu324 said:

Should be finalizing my review in the next day or so. 

This is a great comparison hole. 2 nearly identical shots right at the pin. Identical trajectories and distance. The reactions are literally the difference between birdie and bogey.. can anybody find the 2nd ball? It's in this pic somewhere. and which one is which? 😁

20231114_095844.jpg.b5f5095256690c038c0a82f21a25efbc.jpg

It's in the fringe.  Depends where the tee box is?  I can't tell .... did you hit it across the water as pictured or from the other direction?  If it's the latter, then the ball in the fringe is the AVX? 🤔

Edit ... my bad!  I didn't even see the ball marks.  LMAO!  So yes .... the AVX is still in the fringe.  🤣

Edited by golfinnut

11 minutes ago, golfinnut said:

It's in the fringe.  Depends where the tee box is?  I can't tell .... did you hit it across the water as pictured or from the other direction?  If it's the latter, then the ball in the fringe is the AVX? 🤔

Ha ha good call. I guess I should have referenced a little better. The tee box is directly behind me about 165 yds away. This was my 8 iron and those 2 divots are from each ball. I couldn't have hit 2 more identical looking and feeling shots. The ball on the fringe hit and rolled out 15'. The other ball hit and checked up about 2' to the right. 

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

3 hours ago, golfinnut said:

Very detailed and nice review. You might be one of the few lucky ones that actually gained distance with the ball. 

Play like a champion today!

2 minutes ago, Javs said:

Very detailed and nice review. You might be one of the few lucky ones that actually gained distance with the ball. 

Pays to have a slow ass swing sometimes.  Haha!  🤣

Edited by golfinnut

9 hours ago, Cfhandyman said:

Ver nice test and review.  Interesting that the AVX ball spun the most and the test ball had the least spin, best carry and height.

I'm sure there are some on here who can explain it, but what I see is it launched 1 degree higher, which sent it 1 yard (3') higher and with the lower spin and it rolled further.

I summarized the top 6 swings for each ball and magically all the going in data (clubhead speed, ball speed and smash factor) were almost identical.  It was dumb luck (or consistency) they all came out that close.  But I think that lends itself to some data backed analysis.

-- Peejer

:taylormade-small: Stealth Driver
:srixon-small: ZX 3W
:cobra-small: RadSpeed 3-hybrid
:taylormade-small: P790 (2021) irons (4-PW)
635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png  CBX-2 GW, SW & LW
:EVNROLL: ER7 Putter
:srixon-small: Q-Star Tour DIVIDE / image.png.5c73aa0e191520c63e4a7567ea08cf4a.pngTour -  image.png.70e0eeb259be4d89842e31955c4a2f83.png
image.png.01a298ec5595cfbe94cf034d738c10fd.png Revolver XL
image.png1500Li Cart

:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9 HD Pro Rangefinder / image.png.e9071b3377299921b87f929d3e042fa6.png S20 GPS Watch
image.png.a78b2d4ee5b8826f57bf30ca7bcf0cb7.png + Launch Monitor

Denver, Colorado

Home Course:  Eisenhower Golf Club, USAF Academy   usafa.png.fb60aa7a77f130b1057160837c0a4a29.png

image.png

image.png

Think this week will be the week for mine to show up! It's been raining here for about 2 weeks straight so now would be a good time for the rain to stop and  get some testing in!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

@HikingMike great review. My irons were also a bit shorter than normal, but my woods and wedges were about the same. Very nice first review.

2023 MGS tester: OnCore VERO X1 ball

2024 MGS tester: Edel Array putter

Driver: Callaway Epic Max 9*

3W: Ping G425 max

Irons: Srixon JX5-MKII (5-PW)

48* Titleist Vokey SM9

52* Cleveland RTX Zipcore

56* Titleist Vokey SM8

Putter: Odyssey stroke lab r-ball mallet

I’ve tried to stay away from this thread while I’ve been evaluating the ball so I wasn’t persuaded by the great minds in this test! 

That being said, after 4-5 rounds playing the ball I think my comments will echo many of those in the thread lol. 

Pros: high spin, good distance, soft feel, controllable left and right, good feel green side, seems to be durable (not easily scuffed)

Cons: higher flight (due to high spin), soft feel isn’t for everyone

Personally, I like the ball - it’s different than my normal gamer (Mizuno RB Tour X) in feel which was a nice change. I liked how it felt and the confidence I had in it to spin and check within 100 yards. My only complaint is the high ball flight I routinely saw while playing the prototype. However, this is common with my swing and a big reason I choose to play the Mizuno RB Tour X (it keeps the ball down a little while keeping spin). I would recommend this ball to many people I know, it just isn’t for me. With the high spin numbers I lost about 7-10% of total distance with my wedges and about 5% off other clubs. That isn’t too bad really (compared to other soft balls) but that combined with maybe a little too much left/right tendency just doesn’t give me the confidence I like to have at address. 

I hope to hear what ball this is someday so I can recommend it to friends, though! 

Driver: ping.png.e3ed5628ca52a8b2c125dee1b870da4f.png g410 (Mitsubishi Tensei Orange 65g) | 3 Wood: 70-707561_cobra-logo-png-transparent-cobra-golf-logo-vector.png-removebg-preview.png.b72d599215d4665a747b0adcf37e74ae.png LTDx (Project X HZRDUS Smoke IM10) | Utility Iron: srixon-removebg-preview.png.12b8a132cea8523f77746a94937ae416.pngZX Utility (23* UST Mamiya Recoil 95g) | pxg.png.1f27c0c70c160b03f2f988ce62043156.png XCOR2 0211 6-GW (True Temper Elevate 95) | Wedges (52, 56, 60): mizuno2.png.a20033d8eca70bb4ac47d0bc51dfd514.png T22 Blue Ion (True Temper Dynamic Gold 132) | Putter: Myproject-12.png.a10a6f62037a1d622840ac8f721d759f.png Versa Double Wide Blade (Stroke Lab shaft) | Ball: mizuno2.png.a20033d8eca70bb4ac47d0bc51dfd514.png RB Tour X

Baseball player turned golf addict. 

20 hours ago, azstu324 said:

Ha ha good call. I guess I should have referenced a little better. The tee box is directly behind me about 165 yds away. This was my 8 iron and those 2 divots are from each ball. I couldn't have hit 2 more identical looking and feeling shots. The ball on the fringe hit and rolled out 15'. The other ball hit and checked up about 2' to the right. 

You sure one of those didn't hit the pin? Wow that is some run out on that one. Fantastic shots from 165!!

5 minutes ago, HikingMike said:

Rough Summaries from Comments About Backspin

I tried gathering comments people have made about spin, particularly when they have a comparison to another ball or two. These are mostly rough paraphrases, with higher or lower, and the types of shot or club used, with a few quotes thrown in also. Apologies if I missed anyone. I was navigating the forum with the Ctrl-F find working rapidly and scanning quickly so this wouldn't take 5 hours.

It looks like it's all over the map. For reference, here is how many people said it was higher vs lower spin compared to something else. It is not counted in this number if a person said it was roughly the same.

Higher Spin
10 of 18

Lower Spin
8 of 18

Spin summaries:

@Parshooter36 - Higher spin than AVX and Chromesoft, less than Pro V1 with 3/4 wedge shots. Higher spin than AVX and Chromesoft, similar spin as Pro V1 with full 9i.

@Tom the Golf Nut - Higher spin compared to AVX with 9i.

@Javs - "Pitching and chipping: The White Box was very similar to a Titleist AVX. On pitch shots it was a one hop and stop. On chips the ball would grab, but did not spin excessively."
"While I notated the lower spin on this ball, I did not find that there was excessive run out on pitches or chips. My results were more of a one hop and stop."

@Hook DeLoft - Lower spin than Bridgestone B XS around the green.

@MH15 - Higher spin than Bridgestone e6 with Driver and 7i, but same spin with PW.

@taylorjonasher - Higher spin than Pro V1 RCT with 4i. But "greenside spin on the test ball was noticeably less; I could not check it up like the ProV1."

@Ben Joest - "Spin around the greens wasn’t noticeably better or worse"

@Josh Parker - "Shots into the green did a one hop stop or very little backspin."

@funkyjudge - Lower spin than a Maxfli Tour X CG and Pro V1xLeftDash with wedges. Also lower spin (by an even wider gap) with irons and full PW.

@brogies - Higher spin than Pro V1 RCT on every club, especially wedges.

@GolfSpy_BNG - Higher spin than CSXLS with 46 degree wedge and 7i.

@DukeStKing - "Punch shots and knock downs stopped on a dime for me and I got plenty of backspin on approach shots."

@vandyland - Lower spin than both Pro V1 and Kirkland V3 with 7i. In a round, "ball seemed to roll out a little bit more on full shots and pitches but not dramatically so" compared to Pro V1.

@JohnH1 - Higher spin than Pro V1, less than Tour Response, with 7i.

@Randall Robbins - "shorter irons were stopping after a hop and slight roll." "Wedges:  Nice stopping ability"

@Slater - Lower spin than Pro V1 and Pro V1x with 80 yard shots, 140 yard shots, 160 yard shots, 200 yard shots, and driver. "This has more approach and short game spin than previous AVX models, as well as 100-200 more rpm off the driver." "Unfortunately,  it has very little green side stopping power."

@Cfhandyman - "Spin is definitely less" for long shots such as tee and fairway compared to Srixon Z-Star XV. For wedges, "the ball stopped relatively quickly but had a little more roll out than the higher spinning Srixon ball". 

@Prodigal Duffer - "On longer wedge shots, the ball more or less stopped on one hop. On shorter pitches, the ball rolled more than I would expect." (normal gamer ball is Vice Pro)

@buckpillar - "from 100yds in, I was able to control the spin, hit the one hop and stop shot with excellent success"

@d0m41n - Higher spin than OnCore Vero X1 and Maxfli Tour S with driver. Also higher spin with irons and wedges for better stopping.

@ctg44 - "I definitely had a ton more launch height and spin with these than I did with any other ball, including ProV1 and ProV1X, Maxfli Tour (2023 yellow), OnCore Vero X1, and Bridgestone e12 Contact (2023)."

@Peejer - Lower spin with 7i.

@J7Hawkins - Higher spin than Mizuno RB Tour X.

@JackBurtonsPorkchopExpress - Less hold around the greens than Srixon Z-Star XV.

@golfinnut - Lower spin off tee, lower spin on approach compared to Pro V1.

Interesting results and data all placed in one spot!  Thanks for putting it all together.

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

7 minutes ago, HikingMike said:

I tried gathering comments people have made about spin, particularly when they have a comparison to another ball or two. These are mostly rough paraphrases, with higher or lower, and the types of shot or club used, with a few quotes thrown in also. Apologies if I missed anyone. I was navigating the forum with the Ctrl-F find working rapidly and scanning quickly so this wouldn't take 5 hours.

It looks like it's all over the map. For reference, here is how many people said it was higher vs lower spin compared to something else. It is not counted in this number if a person said it was roughly the same.

Higher Spin
10 of 18

Lower Spin
8 of 18

Spin summaries:

@Parshooter36 - Higher spin than AVX and Chromesoft, less than Pro V1 with 3/4 wedge shots. Higher spin than AVX and Chromesoft, similar spin as Pro V1 with full 9i.

@Javs - "Pitching and chipping: The White Box was very similar to a Titleist AVX. On pitch shots it was a one hop and stop. On chips the ball would grab, but did not spin excessively."
"While I notated the lower spin on this ball, I did not find that there was excessive run out on pitches or chips. My results were more of a one hop and stop."

@MH15 - Higher spin than Bridgestone e6 with Driver and 7i, but same spin with PW.

@taylorjonasher - Higher spin than Pro V1 RCT with 4i. But "greenside spin on the test ball was noticeably less; I could not check it up like the ProV1."

@Josh Parker - "Shots into the green did a one hop stop or very little backspin."

@funkyjudge - Lower spin than a Maxfli Tour X CG and Pro V1xLeftDash with wedges. Also lower spin (by an even wider gap) with irons and full PW.

@DukeStKing - "Punch shots and knock downs stopped on a dime for me and I got plenty of backspin on approach shots."

@vandyland - Lower spin than both Pro V1 and Kirkland V3 with 7i. In a round, "ball seemed to roll out a little bit more on full shots and pitches but not dramatically so" compared to Pro V1.

@Randall Robbins - "shorter irons were stopping after a hop and slight roll." "Wedges:  Nice stopping ability"

@Slater - Lower spin than Pro V1 and Pro V1x with 80 yard shots, 140 yard shots, 160 yard shots, 200 yard shots, and driver. "This has more approach and short game spin than previous AVX models, as well as 100-200 more rpm off the driver." "Unfortunately,  it has very little green side stopping power."

@Cfhandyman - "Spin is definitely less" for long shots such as tee and fairway compared to Srixon Z-Star XV. For wedges, "the ball stopped relatively quickly but had a little more roll out than the higher spinning Srixon ball". 

@Prodigal Duffer - "On longer wedge shots, the ball more or less stopped on one hop. On shorter pitches, the ball rolled more than I would expect." (normal gamer ball is Vice Pro)

@buckpillar - "from 100yds in, I was able to control the spin, hit the one hop and stop shot with excellent success"

@d0m41n - Higher spin than OnCore Vero X1 and Maxfli Tour S with driver. Also higher spin with irons and wedges for better stopping.

@ctg44 - "I definitely had a ton more launch height and spin with these than I did with any other ball, including ProV1 and ProV1X, Maxfli Tour (2023 yellow), OnCore Vero X1, and Bridgestone e12 Contact (2023)."

@JackBurtonsPorkchopExpress - Less hold around the greens than Srixon Z-Star XV.

Love this. Thanks for putting this together. I tried to read everyone's reviews but this is very helpful.

image.png CG14 60 degree

Pinemeadow EGI Chipper

21 hours ago, d0m41n said:

I recently moved from the Mehlville, Lemay area of STL to Fort Worth. Small world!

I remembered @CLenahan is from St. Charles. So I think that makes roughly 5 St. Louis area testers if we count you as a former resident. St. Louis, the MyGolfSpy Titleist golf ball testing capital of the world™

9 minutes ago, HikingMike said:

Higher Spin
10 of 18

Lower Spin
8 of 18

Spin summaries:

Great job consolidating all the reviews.  I’m not surprised it’s all over the place with assessments.  Many of the reviewers offered opinions based upon their play.  Personally, unless it’s on a simulator or launch monitor, it’s all conjecture.  MGS made its reputation on real data.

I also think there are too many reviewers, this thread is almost impossible to follow due to the larger numbers of reviewers.

:taylormade-small: Stealth Driver
:srixon-small: ZX 3W
:cobra-small: RadSpeed 3-hybrid
:taylormade-small: P790 (2021) irons (4-PW)
635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png  CBX-2 GW, SW & LW
:EVNROLL: ER7 Putter
:srixon-small: Q-Star Tour DIVIDE / image.png.5c73aa0e191520c63e4a7567ea08cf4a.pngTour -  image.png.70e0eeb259be4d89842e31955c4a2f83.png
image.png.01a298ec5595cfbe94cf034d738c10fd.png Revolver XL
image.png1500Li Cart

:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9 HD Pro Rangefinder / image.png.e9071b3377299921b87f929d3e042fa6.png S20 GPS Watch
image.png.a78b2d4ee5b8826f57bf30ca7bcf0cb7.png + Launch Monitor

Denver, Colorado

Home Course:  Eisenhower Golf Club, USAF Academy   usafa.png.fb60aa7a77f130b1057160837c0a4a29.png

image.png

image.png

A little late jumping in to post, testing was delayed due to wife having a small and successful surgery, have to get her well, I cant cook😆. My carpet isnt really conducive to testing with putter even though I tried and sort of got a feel for the ball. Played 9 late yesterday on a 18 hole semi private rural course   Hoping course would be nearly empty up front 9 and had exactly 1 single on the front nine with us [wife was cart driver and took some photos when she could quit watching the turkeys and squirrels lol]. One last disclaimer be easy on my technique , I had 3 right leg surgeries year before last and had to relearn to play again due to very little to no feeling on most of right leg and foot so due to balance that horrid stance and swing looks awful but is fairly repeatable for golf with exceptions of up/down especially thin shots.  I went into pro shop to pay and i told him I would be back in cart to change, pro laughed and said dont bother the only people on course are the founding members and I was pretty much told let them wear what they want, you probably wont see another golfer anyway. So no hating on the attire, I didnt change because that was time I could use testing and practicing before dark. 

Test comparison [New} balls were my usual gamer Bridgestone BXS, and The Maxfli Tour S that was recently and gratefully acquired when MGS got us the discount code. The purpose wasnt to really play a round. With 3 balls in play, the only time the test ball wasnt played was over water, didnt want to chance 1 on 1st trip out.  I routinely just stopped cart and dropped all 3 at different locations for FW, Utility Iron , long irons. It was just 9 holes far to early to call it yet but the test balls for me at least were longer especially on roll out, I assume the lack of back spin / stopping power contributes to this but it was consistent , thin shots created pretty drastic extra distance for me and since thin shots are my curse I was pretty happy with that, I didnt hit wedges and short irons as well as usual for any ball due to not getting enough height on them, the test balls did fly a little lower and I had to allow for the lower stopping power but even with the short irons and wedges when struck well the test ball was plus 1/2 to plus 1 club length longer in carry distance. My Once hated and now trusty G425 7 wood Likes the test ball, straight only slightly lower but boring trajectory and more carry, same for my TM DHY 4 and 5 utility irons. Mid 5/6 for me irons were about even in carry distance but the roll out edge once again went to the test ball, since I rarely if ever can carry to and  stop my longer irons on a green the stopping power loss here is a moot point for me. Scotty Cameron Golo S center shafted putter and the test balls are currently engaged and planning their honeymoon lol. If I have a strong suit its putting, when I am invited to a scramble they like my geezer tee shots for holes that have a advantage if the senior still has some length with his driver so thats a plus but other than occasional WOW shot with the other irons and woods and my in play drive so they can smash away the putter is the one they smile at, I have had one day putting bad since going to this putter an that was on freshly punched greens, that being said I REALLY putted well with the test balls, a hit a few oh wow putts but the long unrealistic putts that I lagged with it were just as impressive, nothing like having a really long lag put just stop no more than a gimme over and over to make a man happy. I didnt drop in any of the Lag putt length putts but some were nearly kissing the hole, law of averages will reward you if you keep that up, not to mention no 3 putts in 9 holes for a rec player is pretty dang sweet. Driver was hit and miss as far as getting it as high as I wanted but a little shorter carry and a lot more roll out would be a winner except for soft ground conditions, I picked a long wide hole and hit several shots with driver keeping it low as if into the wind, the boring low natural trajectory seemed to help the test ball here and it was the winner on this test. 

In conclusion from 7 iron up due to stopping power the test ball did not fare as well as the Maxfli or Bridgestone but I think my lower that normal ball flight yesterday magnified that some and a high ball hitter would fare much better. It may have been coincidence but the test balls were extra straight yesterday, the only driver yesterday in 9 holes with all 3 balls yesterday was the test ball bit it rolled bast the dog leg right down the middle of the fairway and on other holes the tester seemed more aimable left to right , if I aimed the tester down the left side it pretty much went down the left side and since my gamer and another ball that I have some experience with and gets rave reviews were the opponents it was not confidence in the ball and swing that produced that result.  I have a few photos to share and will put blinders on the wife next time to limit wildlife distractions from photography, especially all those turkey lol.   Note the 1 tee box with the gold tees I teed off from there instead to take water out of play and used my 4 DHY and tried to crush it to the green on a par 4, caught it to thin but still only roughly 35-40 yards short of green. Edit the yellow ball in the 1 pic is one of the other 2 balls, tester was only white one, if you look straight ahead at the tree just to right and end of dog leg sits the test ball, I smoked that one lol.

image.png.25baca9047eaee1d03efd973cbfdbde2.pngimage.png.a86b6252a9a9eabcd976b9053888ab00.pngimage.png.89d06c7c1317edc3c7c107ec006aed92.pngimage.png.6031ac87c38077cf9ecdaf80109355ed.pngimage.png.153cf6d6f52a832ece2109b55b0d3d09.pngimage.png.62ca6a41272a76bf949478a755ccbff1.pngimage.png.73a92298a5ed2396418f11838be3040b.pngimage.png.04e450fab6b850e0631d4801ee92de3d.png

Edited by Fred Mitchell
more info added

Ping 430 Max H/L 10 Degree Geezer Flex

Ping 425 7 wood Geezer Flex

Ping 425 5H [Not in bag]

TM DHY 4/5

Titlist 5-Gap T300's Geezer Flex

Wedges Cleveland RTX Fullface Zipcore 52 degree and TM Hi Toe 4 56 degree

Putter Scotty Cameron Golo S Center Shafted

Ball Bridgestone BXS , Trying The Maxfli Tour S also

Bag Titlist 15 Cart Bag

On 11/14/2023 at 12:20 AM, HikingMike said:

I wouldn't have been considering golfing at all if I hadn't gotten these tester golf balls. So there you have it folks. In conclusion, these new top secret Titleist golf balls can increase your antibodies and boost your immune system, especially with the proper level of Zinc and Vitamin D. There, I win the reviews. 🏆

UPDATE - You wouldn't believe this, but my wife is under the weather, her brother is going to urgent care since he still isn't over being sick when we were at a wedding with him last 1.5 weeks ago (wth), their 2 kids who frequently pass stuff to us probably started this, and me? I feel great, lol. 💉💉🏌️💪

Edited by HikingMike

19 minutes ago, Peejer said:

Great job consolidating all the reviews.  I’m not surprised it’s all over the place with assessments.  Many of the reviewers offered opinions based upon their play.  Personally, unless it’s on a simulator or launch monitor, it’s all conjecture.  MGS made its reputation on real data.

I also think there are too many reviewers, this thread is almost impossible to follow due to the larger numbers of reviewers.

Very true. We have all kinds of swing speeds and swing types. It just makes me realize how hard it is to actually choose a ball for yourself.

What is the definition of insanity? Something like doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result. Well, I was unsatisfied with my pitching testing yesterday so I wasted spent another hour hitting balls today from 30-45-60 yds to try to hash this out AND I brought a friend with me....the Smart Ball to make sure my delivery was "consistent." Spoiler alert, same results just better contact from using the Smart Ball. Here are the weapons:

6F98CB1C-CB7C-4570-AC47-1C32B5B7792C.jpeg.a12e2150aaf2d8ccdf0f107276d25ca3.jpeg

Started off at 30 yds and thought I saw a *little* separation with the ProV1s checking up slightly more than the test balls but not materially significant. Then moved back to 45 and then 60 with largely the same results. I even had ball marks from 60 where I could pace them off and all the balls were bang on about 6 ft of runout with a 58* wedge. Crazy how little difference there was.

6311C995-B414-4AED-9F38-C75C2F87F563.jpeg.9da3e3fd92ef0c7c686260bd349543c0.jpeg

62CBC778-DF42-4F3D-B69A-E716E4FAA169.jpeg.1ab8efd0f3006c90f6ff9afe39d4f192.jpeg

62F20108-CC63-4B45-A13B-4297B832DE55.jpeg.6d59eec53a079b2ca242b702ba457d86.jpeg

I also did a "match" where I played 4 short holes (like 50-60 yd shots) to see how and if the balls reacted differently. They did not. I also got some juggling in, no real sound difference off the 58*:

test ball

ProV1

Now, whenever I see fitters talk about ball testing they usually say "start from the green and move back." So here is where I am at:

Putting: No feel difference between ProV1 and Test ball
Chipping: No material spin difference or feel difference. Compression feels largely the same.
Pitching: No material spin difference or feel difference. Compression feels largely the same.
Full Shots: Seems like the test balls rolls out slightly more. I only say seems because I am not a robot and my delivery isn't the exact same every time. 
Driver: Drives are coming up a little shorter but it is also 20-30 degrees cooler so all in I would say that is about the same. 

FE6E5A47-40D8-492F-A1D0-2BA3BBA89F66.jpeg

Edited by vandyland

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* ➖ PinHawk SLF 16* ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 21.25* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

Oh my goodness.. FedEx finally flew to deepest darkest Africa and brought me some excitement.. (here's 🤞 that @SpanishHands have received yours)

I know you have all seen the same pics but I am obviously over the moon it has arrived.

So finally I can start testing!

Be back soon...

20231114_171649.jpg

20231114_171737.jpg

20231114_171816.jpg

20231114_171846.jpg

MY WITB list

Bag: Adidas 7 way stand bag

Cart: :Clicgear: Model 3

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth 9°

FW: :wilson_staff_small: D9 Fairway 

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: Launcher

Irons: :wilson_staff_small: D9 4 - SW

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore  52deg, 60deg

Putter: :taylormade-small: Kia Ma Daytona

Ball:  :taylormade-small:Soft Response,  :srixon-small: AD333, :callaway-small: Supersoft

59 minutes ago, HikingMike said:

Higher Spin
10 of 18

Lower Spin
8 of 18

Spin summaries:

Very interesting read when all the comments are lined up. Thank you for doing this. I wonder if there are certain types of players that were seeing high verse low spin? In the end, this shows how a ball that fits one golfer perfectly is not a good fit for the next. 

Play like a champion today!

49 minutes ago, HikingMike said:

I remembered @CLenahan is from St. Charles. So I think that makes roughly 5 St. Louis area testers if we count you as a former resident. St. Louis, the MyGolfSpy Titleist golf ball testing capital of the world™

You can add me as well, since I moved to Florida from Glen Carbon.  How is Fox Creek now?

:Sub70:Driver : Sub70 839D

:Sub70:3 wood Sub 70 pro

:Sub70: Hybrid Sub 70 849 18*

:Sub70:Hybrid Sub 70 839 21*

:Sub70:Irons Sub 70 639 combo

:Sub70:Wedges Sub 70 659 approach 50*, 286 full face groove 54*

:seemore-small:Putter FGP

:titleist-small:Ball  Titleist AVX

Grips: Best Grips std leather