Testers Wanted: Precision Pro Titan Elite Rangefinder ×

Winter 🥶 practice

Anyone else getting a little burned out hitting off of mats into a net? Or hitting under a heated roof off a mat into a snow covered range? Some of you have great at home setups.But some of us have to travel to hit that ball around.Im thinking this might be my last season doing it.Maybe just slow motion air swings with no ball in my basement next year.or putting on my rug.

what is your guys thoughts on winter practice ?

@Goober, I hear ya man. Our season ended Nov 5th this year. But I hate the alternative more. So hitting off a mat in my barn into a net is the best I can do. Closest indoor range is over 30 miles and frankly their rates are obnoxious just to hit balls into a net that is 30 feet further away than mine. I suggest making different scenarios and don't hit a bunch of balls. Just enough to loosen the swing so you don't get stiff, nor bored. I like to use impact tape and...ahem, try to keep it in a  consistent strike zone. I never hit more than 30-50 balls at a time. Just try to make it as fun as you can to bide the time. Spring will sprung soon, hopefully.

Practice.jpg.af177eeb73362ddf5d2d55a1a1f74978.jpg

D- Ping G 400 SFT

16*- Adams Tight Lie

19*- Adams Tight Lie

4H- Ping G 400

5-U- Ping G 400

SW- Nike

56*- Ping Glide 2

P- Sub70 004 Mallet

I have a small area I can hit in. I can’t use real balls because of damage they might do. I use Almost Golfballs and the feedback is pretty good and I don’t break anything. I also have a putting mat. I picked up an Optishot a couple of years ago to breakup the monotony of just hitting balls. I would have liked some kind of launch monitor but because of lack of space and not being able to use real balls it seemed like a waste of money. The Optishot came with 15 courses and it reads irons pretty well. Distance is very close to what I get on the course. Where the ball impacts the club face is also pretty accurate. I tested that by putting some powder on the club face and the mark on the club was almost exactly the same in most cases. Based on where the ball hits the net it reads open, closed and close to square club face well. I found a way to put tape on the bottom of my driver and I get pretty good readings with that. Some days I use the range feature and it’s nice I can play a round for something different.

D- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

Hybrid- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699 U  21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges- Sub 70 286 50+54, Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree 

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach soft # 11

Ball- Titleist Tour Soft

19 hours ago, Bossfan said:

I have a small area I can hit in. I can’t use real balls because of damage they might do. I use Almost Golfballs and the feedback is pretty good and I don’t break anything. I also have a putting mat. I picked up an Optishot a couple of years ago to breakup the monotony of just hitting balls. I would have liked some kind of launch monitor but because of lack of space and not being able to use real balls it seemed like a waste of money. The Optishot came with 15 courses and it reads irons pretty well. Distance is very close to what I get on the course. Where the ball impacts the club face is also pretty accurate. I tested that by putting some powder on the club face and the mark on the club was almost exactly the same in most cases. Based on where the ball hits the net it reads open, closed and close to square club face well. I found a way to put tape on the bottom of my driver and I get pretty good readings with that. Some days I use the range feature and it’s nice I can play a round for something different.

I'm glad you mentioned the Optishot. I know a friend that got one at the end of the golf season so I looked up a little about it. It supposedly works solely off the club, not what any ball does. You can use it without a ball. Interesting. So definitely not a launch monitor, but can still be very useful. That's neat to hear it seems pretty accurate to you for distance and impact point on the club face. Do you have a link to a review or something that describes it well? 

Driver: ping.png.006bacb76d65413e66b9c8eb1b47f592.png G400 LST 8.5°

3W: cobra2.png.60653951979ca617ca859530a17d0a2d.png King Speedzone

Irons: ping.png.006bacb76d65413e66b9c8eb1b47f592.png i200 (3 thru PW & UW)

Wedge: Ray Cook 60 deg

Putter: Spalding TP Mills 3

Tech: golfshot.png.5c17c64b9425413b3bf24668ce3fa044.png on Apple Watch & phone

4 hours ago, HikingMike said:

I'm glad you mentioned the Optishot. I know a friend that got one at the end of the golf season so I looked up a little about it. It supposedly works solely off the club, not what any ball does. You can use it without a ball. Interesting. So definitely not a launch monitor, but can still be very useful. That's neat to hear it seems pretty accurate to you for distance and impact point on the club face. Do you have a link to a review or something that describes it well? 

There is a lot of stuff out there. There is a You Tube channel called Golfallyear that was helpful. He had a lot of good tips to get the most out of the Optishot. A few others that I can’t recall were helpful on how to tape the driver so you could use one more accurately. I use my own version of taping based on some things I found. I never liked not using a ball.

D- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

Hybrid- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699 U  21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges- Sub 70 286 50+54, Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree 

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach soft # 11

Ball- Titleist Tour Soft