Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Experience with 2-Piece / Split Ferrules?

Hey Spies!

I am working on a refurb of some vintage Hagen/Haig irons, which I got from Goodwill in very good shape.  The ferrules, however, are beyond saving.  These clubs are drilled all the way through the hosel, and have the rubber cap at the end (like some older Big Bertha drivers and irons).  I have no experience with that kind of head removal and reshafting, so I removed the ferrules and plan to use the Golfworks two-piece / split ferrules as replacements.  (Full disclosure:  I started heating one to remove the head, and the thing would not budge.  It's on very tightly, which overall is a good thing, but it led me down this alternate ferrule path.)

Some of the reviews on the split ferrules were not so great.

If you have used them, will you let me know how it went from an installation and endurance perspective?

Any tips on installation?

FWIW, I plan to be somewhat more generous with the epoxy than normal to try to ensure they stay on the club in the right place.

Thank you in advance!

Working at getting better ... and very slowly getting there.

•  :callaway-small: Paradym 🔹🔹🔹 8* (:accra: FX 3.0 140 M0 Otto-Phlex)
  •  :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 & 5 Woods (:Fuji: MotoreX F1 7-S)
  • :callaway-small: Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrid (:Fuji: MotoreX HB 7-S)
  •  :Miura: CB-57 4-P or Maltby TS3 (4-8)/TS4 (9-PW)/TS1 (GW) (shafts:  :projectx: LZ 6.0)
  • :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore 53*, and 58* mid wedges (KBS High Rev 125)
  • :scotty-small: Special Select Fastback 1.5
  • :redrooster: Gloves
  •  :maxfli: Tour X Balls

Don't count my clubs!  Ha.  The 4 iron, 5 hybrid, and 53* Cleveland are in and out of the bag depending on mood, course, and moon phase.

My Official 2024 TaylorMade Qi10 Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/62804-taylormade-qi10-drivers-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1014200

My Official 2023 Red Rooster Sussex Glove Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/58614-2023-mgs-forum-member-test-red-rooster-sussex-golf-glove/#comment-911042

You will likely need to "fuse" them together after both sides are epoxied with acetone. Otherwise I don't recommend them.

• DRIVER: Maltby KE4 TC, Aldila Tour Green 75X, Tipped 1.5", 44.75"
  • 3W: Ping G425 LST, Aldila Tour Green 85X, Tipped 2", 43"
  • 3H: Ping G425, Aldila NV 2KXV Green 85X, Tipped 0.5", 42"
  • 4 - 7: Maltby TE+ Forged, Project X LZ 6.5
  • 8 - G: Maltby TS4 Forged, Project X LZ 6.5
  • SW, LW: Maltby TSW, Nippon Modus 120X, +0.5", 2* Flat
  • Putter: OpenSourceGolf Proto NP2 1/1, 347g, 35.5", Golf Pride Pro Only Red Star
  • Grips: Lamkin UTX Cord Blue
  • Balls: Titleist ProV1x Left Dash

7 hours ago, BigBoiGolf said:

You will likely need to "fuse" them together after both sides are epoxied with acetone. Otherwise I don't recommend them.

epoxied with acetone? Please explain further!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

On 1/22/2024 at 9:54 PM, IndyBonzo said:

Hey Spies!

I am working on a refurb of some vintage Hagen/Haig irons, which I got from Goodwill in very good shape.  The ferrules, however, are beyond saving.  These clubs are drilled all the way through the hosel, and have the rubber cap at the end (like some older Big Bertha drivers and irons).  I have no experience with that kind of head removal and reshafting, so I removed the ferrules and plan to use the Golfworks two-piece / split ferrules as replacements.  (Full disclosure:  I started heating one to remove the head, and the thing would not budge.  It's on very tightly, which overall is a good thing, but it led me down this alternate ferrule path.)

Some of the reviews on the split ferrules were not so great.

If you have used them, will you let me know how it went from an installation and endurance perspective?

Any tips on installation?

FWIW, I plan to be somewhat more generous with the epoxy than normal to try to ensure they stay on the club in the right place.

Thank you in advance!

I can't save I have ever seen two piece ferrules and now I am curious so will go searching... not because I want them, but because I am curious as to what functional purpose they serve vs a one piece. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Interesting,  never heard of them before. Not alot of info on them out there other than a few shopping ads.

Did find these "snap cap" ferrules.

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

3 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

I can't save I have ever seen two piece ferrules and now I am curious so will go searching... not because I want them, but because I am curious as to what functional purpose they serve vs a one piece. 

They exist solely to use when one cannot or does not want to pull the head.  

I am pulling the heads after all so I can install BB&F ferrules.  I may try one on a test club, but the ones I picked up from GW are small and seem rather unwieldy to use.

Thank you @BigBoiGolf for the feedback!

•  :Miura: CB-57 4-P or Maltby TS3 (4-8)/TS4 (9-PW)/TS1 (GW) (shafts:  :projectx: LZ 6.0)

Don't count my clubs!  Ha.  The 4 iron, 5 hybrid, and 53* Cleveland are in and out of the bag depending on mood, course, and moon phase.

My Official 2024 TaylorMade Qi10 Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/62804-taylormade-qi10-drivers-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1014200

My Official 2023 Red Rooster Sussex Glove Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/58614-2023-mgs-forum-member-test-red-rooster-sussex-golf-glove/#comment-911042

5 minutes ago, IndyBonzo said:

I am pulling the heads after all so I can install BB&F ferrules.  I may try one on a test club, but the ones I picked up from GW are small and seem rather unwieldy to use.

Make sure to post up a before/after topic with pics when you are done!  In beginning to really enjoy the refurbishment posts

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

1 hour ago, IndyBonzo said:

Speaking from experience (lots of it), I can say without a doubt that those "pinned" hosels make pulling the heads on vintage irons a real "bear". You are going to need a lot of patience and a good "driving pin" to get those hosel pins out.

Edited by funkyjudge

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - Callaway Paradym 3HL, Newton Motion Fairway shaft, 4-Dot

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Callaway Paradym, HZRDUS Silver Gen 4, S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - (currently in flux, but usually an Evnroll 8V

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Ghost Golf Maverick Black Ops

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

4 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

epoxied with acetone? Please explain further!

Sorry, meant to say you epoxy the two halves on, then after they set, you use acetone to melt the seams together, sand, then melt them again.

• DRIVER: Maltby KE4 TC, Aldila Tour Green 75X, Tipped 1.5", 44.75"
  • 3W: Ping G425 LST, Aldila Tour Green 85X, Tipped 2", 43"
  • 3H: Ping G425, Aldila NV 2KXV Green 85X, Tipped 0.5", 42"
  • 4 - 7: Maltby TE+ Forged, Project X LZ 6.5
  • 8 - G: Maltby TS4 Forged, Project X LZ 6.5
  • SW, LW: Maltby TSW, Nippon Modus 120X, +0.5", 2* Flat
  • Putter: OpenSourceGolf Proto NP2 1/1, 347g, 35.5", Golf Pride Pro Only Red Star
  • Grips: Lamkin UTX Cord Blue
  • Balls: Titleist ProV1x Left Dash

57 minutes ago, funkyjudge said:

Speaking from experience (lots of it), I can say without a doubt that those "pinned" hosels make pulling the heads on vintage irons a real "bear". You are going to need a lot of patience and a good "driving pin" to get those hosel pins out.

I agree with you @funkyjudge.  I would not try to pull pinned heads myself.  Fortunately, the heads I am working with are not pinned, but rather have the bore-through hosels.  On a second try the heads came off more easily for me with more heat.  Thank goodness.