Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Super Not Official Review of Wilson Triad Ball

Wheelieb

1 hour ago, Wheelieb said:

A little bit about me. I like long walks on the beach, during the day cause I don’t rust sea turtles. My likes are…Oops wrong forum. My name is Branden and I guess you could say I started playing golf as an actual thing to do, and not just a drive a cart and kick some balls around while having a few cold ones, in 2020. I had to do something since team sports were banned on base. I’ve been in the Navy now for we will say 19 years. Married and no kids, although we have three dogs that act like kids.

Word to the wise, fine print is everything when you are reading about a product. I used to be one of those that fell into the category of “word of mouth so I’ll go buy it” people. I used to not do my research on certain products if someone I knew glowed about it. This lead me down a few paths of wasted money on golf equipment that I should have done my research on. I can’t put a full price tag on the amount of golf balls from the Vice tour line I have donated to numerous wooded areas, lakes, creeks, and ponds. I probably could if I went back and checked my bank account with buying them, but that’s not relevant at this time.

What got me to play the Vice Tour ball was the fact that Vice balls were becoming a huge hit with some of the guys I was starting to play golf with in Florida in 2020. I had never heard of them, but they swore up and down that they were far better than any other ball out there. Since I was new to playing I decided it was a good deal to start buying them since they were cheaper and they used them all the time. I believe I spent about 113 dollars on Vice’s website to order 5 dozen due to the fact they were not available in any store at the time. I felt like that was a steal for that many balls and waited until they came in. Their KIL (Keep In Line) line seemed like a great added piece as well, except I learned that I rarely ever used it to line my putts up with. By the end of a 3 month timeframe with them I only had maybe 6 left and chalked it up to just not being good at the time. Those 6 seemed to have lasted at least another 3 months and I had bought some Bridgestone e12 matte yellow golf balls. Not the best ball to use for me and that’s a whole different paragraph. By this time I started seeing the Vice Tour in Walmart so I didn’t need to order them offline. This continued up until recently after I had moved up to Virginia.

Noticing I was getting better and better and not losing as many balls I kept buying them. They were cheap and seemed to work well. However, there was a flaw in my thought process. While continuing to play these balls and getting better, I was noticing that when I would hit into greens I wasn’t getting a lot of spin like some of the other guys I was playing with in my league were getting with theirs. This is when I went on a deep dive of doing a little bit of research and found that the Vice Tour were surlyn cover balls. Well this lead me down a few holes of rabbit chasing and found that the surlyn cover do go a little further, and spin a little less. Now this is not a big deal for most as spin with wedges normally is pretty decent, and approach shots don’t normally roll out well past the pin who use these. I was finding that I wasn’t getting the benefits of shorter putts, so I worked on my approach shots and my wedge game to get better spin. Insanity ensued. I kept buying them expecting different results and saw my average putting distance on approach shots move maybe an inch to the better. Still believing that this was all a ploy I just continued working on my approach shots.

Well luck would have it that I played in a charity scramble and I one of the guys in my group had some Wilson Triad balls. Knowing that they weren’t on the same price level as Titleist Prov1’s I asked if I could pay him for a sleeve of balls. Him being a great friend said no worries and handed me a sleeve. Now Normally I’m good for at least 1 or 2 balls lost on the front 9 and about 1 on the back 9. We played the front 9 and I didn’t lose a single one. On top of that we used 4 of my shots that landed on the green because they stopped way faster than what I had previously been used to. When we got to the back 9, my confidence was beaming. Had the longest drive out of our group and I was the one with the most shots taken on the green. Hole 10 I teed it up and let it fly. Beautiful draw and lost it over the trees. Now normally this isn’t a problem if it was a dog leg left. But that was not the case here. This was a dog leg right and I just lost a ball into the woods to never be found by us. My next shot, because my hops and dreams were crushed, went all of 20 yards. In all I lost 2 balls on the back 9 and only 2 of my shots into the green were taken. To me that wasn’t bad. This lead me to buying a dozen myself.

IMG_2535.jpeg.81d3989c4df9936df58ac9dc859df582.jpeg

With the why I wanted to test these out on the course reasons out of the way, on to the review of my round with the Wilson Triad balls.

I started out on the putting green and liked the way the Wilson felt off the face of my putter. I am becoming hard of hearing (seriously, I have hearing aids now and I’m only 38) so a lot of hits off the putter sound muted now when I used to hear a click. Saying you learn to live with it is cliché. I’ve just gotten used to the fact that certain sounds will not sound the same to me. But I can feel them off the clubface and they felt firm but soft at the same time. I’m one to not use any lines to line up my putt cause I always aim it to far in one direction and miss my putts even further than what I should. Since these don’t have a line I didn’t have to worry about it. I did notice that these didn’t jump off the face like the vice tour did. It took some getting used to as I had to make a slightly stronger stroke to get the ball to the hole than I did with the vice. With that out of the way, off to the first tee.

Seeing how it’s still “winter” in Virginia, getting out to play is tough. Cold temps are not my cup of tea to play in, but I do know a few people who don’t mind playing when Jack Frost is blowing his lungs out. I wanted to get out and test out the Wilson Triad as they were pretty much the “new” ball to me. I hadn’t played a real round of golf with them, so I felt I needed to do so while playing and keeping my own score. Call it the first tee jitters, call it what you want. Stepping up to that first tee box I felt like I was not where I should be. Knowing the first hole is a dog leg right I decided to play it safe with an iron off the tee to get it to the bend. Naturally, I hit a slight draw and wound up on the furthest part of the fairway on the bend from the green. Great start, to the round. Seeing how I had 180 in I hit my 7 iron in and wound up just short. Perfect, I get to see how chipping would go. That was the thought as I bladed it across the green. Thankfully it wasn’t hard enough to go into the rough and wound up on the fringe. 2 Putt bogey and we were off. The second hole was a par 5 so I knew I could get after it, I smashed it down with a slight fade and wound up in the rough on the right side. Not content with unknowing how well it went, I hit one of the Vice Tour Balls to Compare to the Wilson. I was a little surprised that the Vice went maybe a yard or two further, but it was in the fairway. With it also being a little overly wet, I figured that may have been the reason. And since no one was behind me I grabbed the Vice and put it where I hit the Wilson. Since it was a par 5 I figured I’d go for the green with both and naturally came up short with both. This time the Wilson was a tad closer. Now it came down to chipping. I hit the Vice and it rolled to about 10 feet past the hole. If this test was ever going to give a good judge of what I could expect with this Wilson,  this would be the time. I chipped up on to the green and it didn’t roll past the hole. It bounced twice and rolled to about 5 feet. Decided to do a putting contest and found that using no line to line my ball up I was able to make a birdie with the Wilson. Using the KIL Line on the Vice, I hit it on the line and rolled end over end. I just had it aimed to far right. I decided to finish the front 9 without attempting to do a side by side comparison in order to keep pace of play up in case someone was coming up behind me.

Hole 5 came up and there is a little pond short left of the green. Feeling confident in my new found ball, I grabbed my 7 iron and teed it up. The saying “You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take” would have been an acceptable thing to say if I were to have skipped the hole. Instead, I bring the pond up because I chunked my shot that I never even gave the green a chance on this par 3. I took my drop and pitched it up to about 20-25 feet. Lost confidence and tripled that hole. Lost a ball, felt the golf demons approaching fast and felt like the wheels were about to just completely get lost even on the golf cart. I finished the front 9 with only entering my score. That is a whole other topic that can be broached at a different time.

The Back 9 came and hole 10 is a fairly straight hole. Nothing to really get in the way except a fairway bunker down the right side. Not a problem for me as I’ve been drawing the ball so far. This hole I would like to say was no different, I did miss the fairway bunker but I hooked the ball into the woods on the left. Ball number two was lost. I re-teed and still missed the bunker but this time I wound up in the left rough. Most people would be bummed about this, but I am one to be excited. I get to see how my Wilson is going to perform out of the rough. I took my 9 iron out since I was 150 out and I know I can hit 155-160 with it. To my surprise I came up short. Not problem since I get to chip again and see if this round has been a fluke on the front 9 with the stopping ability I had seen with the Wilson. Chipped it to 10 feet for a 2 putt double. Hole 11 I hit my tee shot with my 7 wood and was flabbergasted that it didn’t go as far as it normally would. Not close really at all. I had flushed it too, so it didn’t make any sense. I took out my 8 iron and flushed it and was short again. Started to wonder if I was taking the whole slow is smooth and smooth is fast way to serious. Chipped up close to the pin without it rolling past for a makeable par. Onto hole 12, with trees on the right and a small creek to far for me to get. I hit my driver and the theme of not going right was still in play here. What was in play were the trees on the left that I pulled my 3 ball into that I’m pretty sure some birds got mad at me. I don’t speak in bird tongues so I couldn’t tell you what they were saying. Re-teed and because I was scared the demons were with me I hit a bomb of 190 yards with my driver. That’s fine, I have 180 something in to the green. I take out my 7 and I’m short. I thought I had landed in the creek up a head, but I had made it over. Awesome, I get to chip again. This time I got backspin. Lag putt to 3 feet in for a 7.

IMG_2536.jpeg.02e482aaf044c7e638ac8dcae28f70d9.jpeg

I was starting to feel like maybe this ball just wasn’t going to be for me with how many times I was coming up short on shots I know I can hit with my irons. Pondering my life choices hole 15 came up, and I remembered a video I had watched about golf balls acting when cold and when hot. I felt like I was a fool. I hit my tee shot to the rough on the right and had 150 in. instead of using my 9, I took my 8 and on the green. Finally, a green hit for a birdie look again and the ball didn’t roll crazy past the pin. 8 feet well struck putt, the demons were gone. Hole 16 came up and it is a par 5. Everything was great, until I hit my second shot into the bunker. That’s a problem as I am not the greatest bunker player. But feeling confident I took my swing and landed in the bunker still. At least I was closer. Hit again and I was out. 2 putt bogey, The golf gods giveth and they taketh. Hole 17 is a straight shot, with a creek short and downhill of the green. Hit my tee shot right to the rough and had 145 in. I took my 9 iron out and hit, I was maybe 8 feet short, but that’s what happens when you decide to slightly chunk your shot. That was on me this time. Took my 9 iron to chip with and my putter, already resigned myself to the fact I was getting a par at best. The ball came off the club face and instead of popping off like I was used to with the Vice ball, it sort of checked and rolled….into the cup for a chip in birdie. I was ecstatic. Breaming with all the confidence in the world going into the last hole, a par 3, I was on my way to a great finish. That was until I decided to hit it short right. I chipped up and it stopped on a dime some 40 feet from the pin. No problem, I’ll finish with at worst a bogey. As I finished my round putting a 6 on the card, I saw that I had shot an 86. I’m used to seeing a 90 plus. This gave me confidence again. I feel like these Wilson Triad balls may be on to something for me. Below are my scores out of 10 for each category for them.

IMG_2537.jpeg.7b7d63ccbadbce0564beb06a394ec61d.jpeg

Driving  8/10

Approach 5/10 (Mostly due to me being a dumb dumb and not taking extra club)

Chipping  9/10

Putting  8/10

I wanted to get the review up, I may not be able to get out on Friday, but wanted to add pics. 

Wilson has so many great products.

Thanks for the write-up!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

2 hours ago, Marlin Dave said:

Being from Michigan I've played some cold golf and an ice cold ProV1 is not alot of fun to hit, What we do is I have those rechargeable hand warmers and I put one in my pocket and the other in the ball compartment in my bag! Yes I like heated balls!! Lol it makes a heck of a difference and keeps me from doing what alot of guys up there do and that's buy super low compression balls like Precept Laddies or I can't remember the popular one but it's like hitting a marshmallow that goes nowhere. Oh Maxfli Noodle is the other they like. I will stick to my Amazon hardwarmers and my warm balls!!!

I never gave thought to the hand warmer idea, you may be onto something there. Hahaha

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max 9* with Tensei AV Blue 55

PXG 5 and 7 woods with Mitsubishi Diamana Shafts

Mizuno Pro 225 5-GW with Dynamic Gold S300 shafts

Taylormade Hi-Toe 54 and 58 degree wedges

Ping Prime Tyne 4

Thanks for the read!  Wilson has made some good products and I have used their golf balls a few times.

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

8 hours ago, Wheelieb said:

A little bit about me. I like long walks on the beach, during the day cause I don’t rust sea turtles. My likes are…Oops wrong forum. My name is Branden and I guess you could say I started playing golf as an actual thing to do, and not just a drive a cart and kick some balls around while having a few cold ones, in 2020. I had to do something since team sports were banned on base. I’ve been in the Navy now for we will say 19 years. Married and no kids, although we have three dogs that act like kids.

Word to the wise, fine print is everything when you are reading about a product. I used to be one of those that fell into the category of “word of mouth so I’ll go buy it” people. I used to not do my research on certain products if someone I knew glowed about it. This lead me down a few paths of wasted money on golf equipment that I should have done my research on. I can’t put a full price tag on the amount of golf balls from the Vice tour line I have donated to numerous wooded areas, lakes, creeks, and ponds. I probably could if I went back and checked my bank account with buying them, but that’s not relevant at this time.

What got me to play the Vice Tour ball was the fact that Vice balls were becoming a huge hit with some of the guys I was starting to play golf with in Florida in 2020. I had never heard of them, but they swore up and down that they were far better than any other ball out there. Since I was new to playing I decided it was a good deal to start buying them since they were cheaper and they used them all the time. I believe I spent about 113 dollars on Vice’s website to order 5 dozen due to the fact they were not available in any store at the time. I felt like that was a steal for that many balls and waited until they came in. Their KIL (Keep In Line) line seemed like a great added piece as well, except I learned that I rarely ever used it to line my putts up with. By the end of a 3 month timeframe with them I only had maybe 6 left and chalked it up to just not being good at the time. Those 6 seemed to have lasted at least another 3 months and I had bought some Bridgestone e12 matte yellow golf balls. Not the best ball to use for me and that’s a whole different paragraph. By this time I started seeing the Vice Tour in Walmart so I didn’t need to order them offline. This continued up until recently after I had moved up to Virginia.

Noticing I was getting better and better and not losing as many balls I kept buying them. They were cheap and seemed to work well. However, there was a flaw in my thought process. While continuing to play these balls and getting better, I was noticing that when I would hit into greens I wasn’t getting a lot of spin like some of the other guys I was playing with in my league were getting with theirs. This is when I went on a deep dive of doing a little bit of research and found that the Vice Tour were surlyn cover balls. Well this lead me down a few holes of rabbit chasing and found that the surlyn cover do go a little further, and spin a little less. Now this is not a big deal for most as spin with wedges normally is pretty decent, and approach shots don’t normally roll out well past the pin who use these. I was finding that I wasn’t getting the benefits of shorter putts, so I worked on my approach shots and my wedge game to get better spin. Insanity ensued. I kept buying them expecting different results and saw my average putting distance on approach shots move maybe an inch to the better. Still believing that this was all a ploy I just continued working on my approach shots.

Well luck would have it that I played in a charity scramble and I one of the guys in my group had some Wilson Triad balls. Knowing that they weren’t on the same price level as Titleist Prov1’s I asked if I could pay him for a sleeve of balls. Him being a great friend said no worries and handed me a sleeve. Now Normally I’m good for at least 1 or 2 balls lost on the front 9 and about 1 on the back 9. We played the front 9 and I didn’t lose a single one. On top of that we used 4 of my shots that landed on the green because they stopped way faster than what I had previously been used to. When we got to the back 9, my confidence was beaming. Had the longest drive out of our group and I was the one with the most shots taken on the green. Hole 10 I teed it up and let it fly. Beautiful draw and lost it over the trees. Now normally this isn’t a problem if it was a dog leg left. But that was not the case here. This was a dog leg right and I just lost a ball into the woods to never be found by us. My next shot, because my hops and dreams were crushed, went all of 20 yards. In all I lost 2 balls on the back 9 and only 2 of my shots into the green were taken. To me that wasn’t bad. This lead me to buying a dozen myself.

With the why I wanted to test these out on the course reasons out of the way, on to the review of my round with the Wilson Triad balls.

I started out on the putting green and liked the way the Wilson felt off the face of my putter. I am becoming hard of hearing (seriously, I have hearing aids now and I’m only 38) so a lot of hits off the putter sound muted now when I used to hear a click. Saying you learn to live with it is cliché. I’ve just gotten used to the fact that certain sounds will not sound the same to me. But I can feel them off the clubface and they felt firm but soft at the same time. I’m one to not use any lines to line up my putt cause I always aim it to far in one direction and miss my putts even further than what I should. Since these don’t have a line I didn’t have to worry about it. I did notice that these didn’t jump off the face like the vice tour did. It took some getting used to as I had to make a slightly stronger stroke to get the ball to the hole than I did with the vice. With that out of the way, off to the first tee.

Seeing how it’s still “winter” in Virginia, getting out to play is tough. Cold temps are not my cup of tea to play in, but I do know a few people who don’t mind playing when Jack Frost is blowing his lungs out. I wanted to get out and test out the Wilson Triad as they were pretty much the “new” ball to me. I hadn’t played a real round of golf with them, so I felt I needed to do so while playing and keeping my own score. Call it the first tee jitters, call it what you want. Stepping up to that first tee box I felt like I was not where I should be. Knowing the first hole is a dog leg right I decided to play it safe with an iron off the tee to get it to the bend. Naturally, I hit a slight draw and wound up on the furthest part of the fairway on the bend from the green. Great start, to the round. Seeing how I had 180 in I hit my 7 iron in and wound up just short. Perfect, I get to see how chipping would go. That was the thought as I bladed it across the green. Thankfully it wasn’t hard enough to go into the rough and wound up on the fringe. 2 Putt bogey and we were off. The second hole was a par 5 so I knew I could get after it, I smashed it down with a slight fade and wound up in the rough on the right side. Not content with unknowing how well it went, I hit one of the Vice Tour Balls to Compare to the Wilson. I was a little surprised that the Vice went maybe a yard or two further, but it was in the fairway. With it also being a little overly wet, I figured that may have been the reason. And since no one was behind me I grabbed the Vice and put it where I hit the Wilson. Since it was a par 5 I figured I’d go for the green with both and naturally came up short with both. This time the Wilson was a tad closer. Now it came down to chipping. I hit the Vice and it rolled to about 10 feet past the hole. If this test was ever going to give a good judge of what I could expect with this Wilson,  this would be the time. I chipped up on to the green and it didn’t roll past the hole. It bounced twice and rolled to about 5 feet. Decided to do a putting contest and found that using no line to line my ball up I was able to make a birdie with the Wilson. Using the KIL Line on the Vice, I hit it on the line and rolled end over end. I just had it aimed to far right. I decided to finish the front 9 without attempting to do a side by side comparison in order to keep pace of play up in case someone was coming up behind me.

Hole 5 came up and there is a little pond short left of the green. Feeling confident in my new found ball, I grabbed my 7 iron and teed it up. The saying “You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take” would have been an acceptable thing to say if I were to have skipped the hole. Instead, I bring the pond up because I chunked my shot that I never even gave the green a chance on this par 3. I took my drop and pitched it up to about 20-25 feet. Lost confidence and tripled that hole. Lost a ball, felt the golf demons approaching fast and felt like the wheels were about to just completely get lost even on the golf cart. I finished the front 9 with only entering my score. That is a whole other topic that can be broached at a different time.

The Back 9 came and hole 10 is a fairly straight hole. Nothing to really get in the way except a fairway bunker down the right side. Not a problem for me as I’ve been drawing the ball so far. This hole I would like to say was no different, I did miss the fairway bunker but I hooked the ball into the woods on the left. Ball number two was lost. I re-teed and still missed the bunker but this time I wound up in the left rough. Most people would be bummed about this, but I am one to be excited. I get to see how my Wilson is going to perform out of the rough. I took my 9 iron out since I was 150 out and I know I can hit 155-160 with it. To my surprise I came up short. Not problem since I get to chip again and see if this round has been a fluke on the front 9 with the stopping ability I had seen with the Wilson. Chipped it to 10 feet for a 2 putt double. Hole 11 I hit my tee shot with my 7 wood and was flabbergasted that it didn’t go as far as it normally would. Not close really at all. I had flushed it too, so it didn’t make any sense. I took out my 8 iron and flushed it and was short again. Started to wonder if I was taking the whole slow is smooth and smooth is fast way to serious. Chipped up close to the pin without it rolling past for a makeable par. Onto hole 12, with trees on the right and a small creek to far for me to get. I hit my driver and the theme of not going right was still in play here. What was in play were the trees on the left that I pulled my 3 ball into that I’m pretty sure some birds got mad at me. I don’t speak in bird tongues so I couldn’t tell you what they were saying. Re-teed and because I was scared the demons were with me I hit a bomb of 190 yards with my driver. That’s fine, I have 180 something in to the green. I take out my 7 and I’m short. I thought I had landed in the creek up a head, but I had made it over. Awesome, I get to chip again. This time I got backspin. Lag putt to 3 feet in for a 7.

I was starting to feel like maybe this ball just wasn’t going to be for me with how many times I was coming up short on shots I know I can hit with my irons. Pondering my life choices hole 15 came up, and I remembered a video I had watched about golf balls acting when cold and when hot. I felt like I was a fool. I hit my tee shot to the rough on the right and had 150 in. instead of using my 9, I took my 8 and on the green. Finally, a green hit for a birdie look again and the ball didn’t roll crazy past the pin. 8 feet well struck putt, the demons were gone. Hole 16 came up and it is a par 5. Everything was great, until I hit my second shot into the bunker. That’s a problem as I am not the greatest bunker player. But feeling confident I took my swing and landed in the bunker still. At least I was closer. Hit again and I was out. 2 putt bogey, The golf gods giveth and they taketh. Hole 17 is a straight shot, with a creek short and downhill of the green. Hit my tee shot right to the rough and had 145 in. I took my 9 iron out and hit, I was maybe 8 feet short, but that’s what happens when you decide to slightly chunk your shot. That was on me this time. Took my 9 iron to chip with and my putter, already resigned myself to the fact I was getting a par at best. The ball came off the club face and instead of popping off like I was used to with the Vice ball, it sort of checked and rolled….into the cup for a chip in birdie. I was ecstatic. Breaming with all the confidence in the world going into the last hole, a par 3, I was on my way to a great finish. That was until I decided to hit it short right. I chipped up and it stopped on a dime some 40 feet from the pin. No problem, I’ll finish with at worst a bogey. As I finished my round putting a 6 on the card, I saw that I had shot an 86. I’m used to seeing a 90 plus. This gave me confidence again. I feel like these Wilson Triad balls may be on to something for me. Below are my scores out of 10 for each category for them.

Driving  8/10

Chipping  9/10

Putting  8/10

I wanted to get the review up, I may not be able to get out on Friday, but wanted to add pics. 

A great review! You make me want to give these a try. The fact that you say they played fairly firm off the putter face is something I really look for! 

Mind if I ask what course you played these at during this review?

DRIVER PING.png G425 MAX w/ Mitsubishi Tensei Orange RAW 55 S 12*

WOOD TAYLORMADE.png.8ad786f4fccdf7215d321a861dfa1c7f.png STEALTH 2 Plus 3w w/ Mitsubishi Kali Red 65 S 15*

HYBRID PING.png G425 2h w/ Mitsubishi Tensei Orange RAW 65 S 17*

HYBRID PING.png G410 4h w/ Mitsubishi Tensei Orange 65 S 22*

IRONS MIZUNO.png.2bd95ff6ee2eb76ff25e7f5057c68c47.png 919 Forged 4i-PW w/ Dynamic Gold 105 S300 

WEDGES PING.png Glide Forged Pro w/ ZZ115 W 50*/58*

PUTTER Cleveland.jpg FRONTLINE 8.0 w/ 35" Slant neck 3*

10 minutes ago, JAYER38 said:

A great review! You make me want to give these a try. The fact that you say they played fairly firm off the putter face is something I really look for! 

Mind if I ask what course you played these at during this review?

The Cardinal course at Newport New Golf club

Ping Prime Tyne 4

4 hours ago, Wheelieb said:

I never gave thought to the hand warmer idea, you may be onto something there. Hahaha

They really work great we have been using them for awhile now. Cheap and reliable no fuel sticks or butane slop. They last easily 36 holes without charging

Screenshot_20240212_104310_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240212_104249_Chrome.jpg

WITB

Driver is PING G430 MAX 10K 9° W/VENTUS BLACK 44.5"  TOUR VELVET GRIP

3 WOOD TAYLORMADE M2 15° W/ADDI BB TOUR VELVET GRIP

IRONS PING G410 4 AND 5 IRON W/X100 

IRONS 6-9 PING I200 W/X100 

WEDGES TITLEIST VOKEY SM8 48° CHROME

VOKEY 52°  56° AND 60 ALL IN CHROME FINISH WITH DYNAMIC GOLD AND MCC+4 GRIPS

SCOTTY CAMERON TOUR RAT GSS 350G MATADOR GRIP

SUN MOUNTAIN C-130 CART BAG NIKON LASER 

TITLEIST PRO V 1

Nice review @Wheelieb. Thank you for taking the time to write this down.

TSR1, 9*, Fujikura Ventus Black, 6-S

TSR1, 15*, HZRDUS Black, 5.5 

TSR2, Hybrid, 18*, TPT HYBRID 17/Lo

RBZ Tour4 Hybrid, 21.5*, S 

T-200, (2023), 5-PW,  SteelFiber, i95cw, S 

Vokey Design, 50,54,58, Dynamic Gold S200

Studio Select, Newport 1.5

ELIXR (2022)

Really enjoyed your review! Glad you are working towards finding a ball that suits you.

Funny thing about the vice balls, is around here they cost as much, or slightly more, than as the prov1.

What other balls are you considering? Will you be changing balls again for summer golf?

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

1 hour ago, Rob Person said:

Really enjoyed your review! Glad you are working towards finding a ball that suits you.

Funny thing about the vice balls, is around here they cost as much, or slightly more, than as the prov1.

What other balls are you considering? Will you be changing balls again for summer golf?

I’m going to stick with this ball for the year. I will circle back if I feel I need to revisit this at the end of the season. 

Ping Prime Tyne 4

very intrigued by this ball.
was identified as a best value for mid swing-speed in the 2023 ball test - https://mygolfspy.com/buyers-guides/golf-balls/2023-golf-ball-test/

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

Hey, great stuff. I enjoyed the story of your round and background 🙂  Nice round, especially in different conditions.

Guess what I have ready to try out for the upcoming season? 

IMG_9430_50.jpg.39ba28f520d7219e9e65ce3b3152075d.jpg

I have a good impression of Wilson balls... actually after I won a couple dozen at a golf tournament - Wilson 50 Elites - and I played them and liked them. 🤷‍♂️ But I'm happy to see them perform well in MGS's ball data with the Triad and Staff Model. Plus I don't mind being a little counterculture in golf. We'll see if anyone looks at me a little funny 🙂 I have normally played Titleist AVX, or whatever Pro V1s and a few other kinds that I find. Wilson's irons look great to me too. The downside here is that Triad High School was my school's biggest rival. I think I'm getting over that enough, lol. I do hear good things about Vice balls and definitely know people that play them. I haven't tried them yet myself.

Driver: ping.png.006bacb76d65413e66b9c8eb1b47f592.png G20

3W: cobra2.png.60653951979ca617ca859530a17d0a2d.png King Speedzone (adj loft +1.5 to 16 deg) 

Irons: ping.png.006bacb76d65413e66b9c8eb1b47f592.png i200 (3 thru PW & UW)

Wedge: Ray Cook 60 deg

Putter: Spalding TP Mills 3

Tech: golfshot.png.5c17c64b9425413b3bf24668ce3fa044.png on Apple Watch & phone

17 hours ago, Wheelieb said:

Driving  8/10

Chipping  9/10

Putting  8/10

They’re coming back!

I like golf. You should like golf. If life is tough, play more golf!

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5, Graphite Design Tour AD-MJ 6x

Titleist TSr3 18 Degree, Graphite Design Tour Ad-DI 7x

Takomo 301CB's, KBS Tours 120S

Vokey SM8 48 10F, 52 08F, 56 08M, 60 08M

Odyssey O-Works Jailbird Mini, Versa Scheme, 17" Fatso 3.0 Grip, 40"

Jazz Tacoma Cart Bag

Titleist Pro V1x

2 hours ago, HikingMike said:

The downside here is that Triad High School was my school's biggest rival.

That means you should want to hit these harder!

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

Great write-up and best of luck in your pursuit of golf greatness.  Did you happen to try any of the other Vice golf balls?  The Pro and Pro Plus will provide much more greenside spin as they are urethane covers not Surlyn like the Vice Tour.  I've always found it weird that the Vice Tour ball is the furthest thing from a ball that any Tour player would use, but maybe the Germans lost something in the translation.  

6 minutes ago, TeddysDad said:

Great write-up and best of luck in your pursuit of golf greatness.  Did you happen to try any of the other Vice golf balls?  The Pro and Pro Plus will provide much more greenside spin as they are urethane covers not Surlyn like the Vice Tour.  I've always found it weird that the Vice Tour ball is the furthest thing from a ball that any Tour player would use, but maybe the Germans lost something in the translation.  

Oh I probably did but I’m not positive on using those Vice balls. But I will stick with the Wilson this year in order to stay consistent with what I use. 

Ping Prime Tyne 4

6 hours ago, Wheelieb said:

Oh I probably did but I’m not positive on using those Vice balls. But I will stick with the Wilson this year in order to stay consistent with what I use. 

Going to start leaving vice pro/plus's around cardinal to bring you back to the dark side

WITB:
:ping-small: G425 Max 9º
:Fuji: Ventus TR Blue 6-S
:ping-small: G430 19º Hybrid
:srixon-small: ZX5 MKII 4-PW
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50° S, 54° E, 58° E
:odyssey-small: AI-ONE Milled #7
:ping-small: Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW Black Dot
:ping-small: Heppler Tomcat 14

8 hours ago, JohnSmalls said:

That means you should want to hit these harder!

I like your thinking

Driver: ping.png.006bacb76d65413e66b9c8eb1b47f592.png G20

3W: cobra2.png.60653951979ca617ca859530a17d0a2d.png King Speedzone (adj loft +1.5 to 16 deg) 

Irons: ping.png.006bacb76d65413e66b9c8eb1b47f592.png i200 (3 thru PW & UW)

Wedge: Ray Cook 60 deg

Putter: Spalding TP Mills 3

Tech: golfshot.png.5c17c64b9425413b3bf24668ce3fa044.png on Apple Watch & phone

5 hours ago, Remorce said:

Going to start leaving vice pro/plus's around cardinal to bring you back to the dark side

Those aren’t the balls I’ll be looking for….hahaha

Ping Prime Tyne 4

1 minute ago, Wheelieb said:

Those aren’t the balls I’ll be looking for….hahaha

Yet they'll be the ones you find...

WITB:
:ping-small: G425 Max 9º
:Fuji: Ventus TR Blue 6-S
:ping-small: G430 19º Hybrid
:srixon-small: ZX5 MKII 4-PW
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50° S, 54° E, 58° E
:odyssey-small: AI-ONE Milled #7
:ping-small: Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW Black Dot
:ping-small: Heppler Tomcat 14

1 hour ago, Remorce said:

Yet they'll be the ones you find...

Hopefully you aren’t losing that many. Although someone did lose a pink nitro up there when I last played. I almost grabbed it cause it would have been funny to give to someone who asks for a ball. 

Ping Prime Tyne 4

Congrats!! on breaking 90! 👍

I've been wanting to try out the Triads; gonna have to do that this season!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Great review of a great ball. I’ve been using the Wilson Triad for over a year now. I have about 6 left and I grabbed a deal on some Snell balls, so I’m going to give them a whirl.  Maybe not a great high speed swinger’s ball but mid nd slow swing speed players should definitely give these high quality affordable balls a chance.

Driver: Cobra AeroJet 9* @ 7.5* PX Hazardous Black 5.5

3 wood: Titleist 915f @ 14.25* MCA Diamana Blue R

Hybrids: Callaway Apex 17* and 21* Srixon ZX 23* driving iron

Irons: Mizuno Pro 223 5-PW Nippon Modus Pro 105R

Wedges: Ping Glide 4.0 52/10, 56/14, 60/14 Nippon 115

Putter: EVNROLL ER 2.2

Ball: Wilson Triad

• 1 month later...

Update: The last round I played, which was Monday, I noticed a few things I need to take into consideration. My drives were fairly consistent, my iron shots seemed to not go quite as far but still found the general area and not be 10-20 yards short. That tells me if I'm truly in between clubs, go with the the longer iron. What I saw as the biggest difference, my chip shots were checking up a lot quicker now. so one of three things I need to do. Hit it a little harder, hit the greens more often, or take a club that isn't as lofted as my 58 degree wedge. All in all I am noticing a little more consistency throughout my shots with the Wilson Triad than with the Vice Ball I was using.

Ping Prime Tyne 4

1 hour ago, Wheelieb said:

Update: The last round I played, which was Monday, I noticed a few things I need to take into consideration. My drives were fairly consistent, my iron shots seemed to not go quite as far but still found the general area and not be 10-20 yards short. That tells me if I'm truly in between clubs, go with the the longer iron. What I saw as the biggest difference, my chip shots were checking up a lot quicker now. so one of three things I need to do. Hit it a little harder, hit the greens more often, or take a club that isn't as lofted as my 58 degree wedge. All in all I am noticing a little more consistency throughout my shots with the Wilson Triad than with the Vice Ball I was using.

Wow.  I wish I had the checkup quicker issue... 😆 

Have you continued to use  the vice ball at all ?

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

• 3 weeks later...

Update for the update. I am now in a quandary with golf balls. Naturally when you don’t put the balls you bought into your bag, you inevitably have to either buy some or use your friends. This is exactly what I had to do today. He is one to use whatever he is feeling that day he goes to the golf store, Walmart, target, or where ever he is at that has golf balls. Today he had vice pro plus balls. So that’s what I used. Now I’m not saying I’m going to switch to those right now, but what I am saying is now I have more testing to do. So now, I am in a quandary of what ball to use. The vice performed just as good, if not better, in some areas. So testing is now going to have to be done in order to figure out which ball to use. 

Ping Prime Tyne 4