Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Spiked vs spikeless

Wayyy back in Dec. 2019, on NoPuttsGiven, ep. 25 (min. ~20:30), @GolfSpy_X referenced an independent shoe study out of Pinehurst Golf Resort, where they sampled launch monitor shot data of 28 golfers. They had each person hit their driver wearing shoes with replaceable soft spikes and then sampled the same group after switching to spikeless shoes. As a group, data points from the spikeless shots degraded in the following areas - distance, ball speed, dispersion & smash factor - to the tune of 4.35 yards. At the time, Harry suggested that data from most wanted testing generally supported the same theory.

Spikeless shoes are usually more comfortable right out of the box and that’s nice. But the study suggests that a more stable platform offered by the typical replaceable soft spike products, will help you hit the ball straighter, farther and closer to the sweet spot. Uhhh… yes please.

Do my fellow Spies believe that product advances in spikeless soles have closed that gap over the past four years? @GolfSpy_APH - I think that would be a pretty interesting (and potentially valuable) forum test to arrange. Even if it wouldn’t be possible in an official product review framework, we probably have a large group of Spies that own both types of shoes and have launch monitor access. Assuming some proper control instructions could be developed, I’d love to see that data, and it seems like it might also be a really nice grassroots feather in the forum cap for a blog article.

PXG___0811 X 9* - Mitsubishi Diamana s60 Limited X
Cobra___S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
Adams___XTD Forged 3i - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
Adams___CMB 4-PW - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
KZG___Tri-Tour 50.08__54.10__58.12 - Accra iCWT 2.0-95i S
Nike___Method Converge B1-01 (copper insert)
Maxfli___'23 Tour X
"The most important shot in golf is the next one“

On 2/20/2024 at 5:26 AM, Thad Buchanan said:

Some of these brands make golf shoes that to me look like they just had the slightest inch of traction and slap on the golf name. What’s your take?

My take is that for golf performance metal spikes were the best. However once course owners learned that forbidding metal spikes would lower the cost of maintaining the golf course, metal spikes were outlawed.

For golf performance the next best thing to metal spikes is the most aggressive plastic-soft-spikes available.

Worst of all for helping golf swing balance and player safety is the popular athletic style spike less rubber bottom shoes.

Like a lot of folks I remember metal spikes, then plastic spikes like the SoftSpikes, and now I’m on spikeless. I’ve been wearing the Code Chaos for a couple of seasons and for me I think they are way better than the old metal spikes etc. — sorry @Another Steve and @Louis_Posture.  The newer shoes have so much more going on with the tread patterns that overcome the need for spikes. The metal spikes shoes remind me of dress shoes with spikes in the flat soles. I don’t have issues with grip or feeling connected to the ground. I still feel connected to the ground but also confident that when I finish my swing my trail leg isn’t getting twisted up.

Let’s also not forget those spike wearing “foot draggers” or “ankle twisters” that somehow managed to shred the greens.  Sorry. One of my pet peeves right up there with golfers that drag the flag or putter across the green. 

Edited by Hacker60521

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

3W: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

4H: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2

Irons 4I-9I:  :titleist-small: T200

Wedges P, 48: :titleist-small: T200

Wedges 54, 58: :titleist-small: Vokey SM9

Putter:  :odyssey-small: O Works #1 Black

Oh definitely agree with you on damage to the greens done by metal spikes - and inconsiderate/inattentive soft spike wearer for that matter. I still remember what greens looked like late in the day on a weekend after a crowded day of play. Really fun putting…. Do not miss that. 

As for traction spikes vs spikeless… I was definitely a power player when spikes were allowed with  normal driver swing speed at 120 and measured at 125+ for an all out as hard as I could swing.  With new spikes I HAD to lift and reset my feet if I wanted to adjust them on the tee box. There ain’t no way you will anchor that much with spikeless - period.

I'm always spiked (softspikes). I had back issues during Covid, and find that there is zero chance of slipping when wearing spiked (Adidas Tour360's; the old ones from before some genius decided you couldn't change the spikes!).

I did try spikeless last summer, primarily for convenience, but had a few occurrences where my back foot slipped heavily on the downswing. Slipping = jolting = pain = round over. 

The spikeless shoes are now used only for the driving range. 

Bag full of mostly PING, apart from Cleveland CBX wedges..I need all the help I can get! 

On 2/20/2024 at 5:26 AM, Thad Buchanan said:

the slightest inch of traction and slap on the golf name.

Oh you mean AJ1s? Haha, don't get me wrong, I got a pair which I love... But thinking about getting spikes. They just seem better under certain conditions, but never played with them. Especially if you're playing in the PNW.

That said, I haven't slipped once in my Jordans. Another cool thing are the Golf Kicks. Never used them, but look interesting!

Edited by jbubski
  • Driver - Stealth 2 (10.5°)
  • 4-PW - P790 2023
  • 50°, 56° - Vokey SM9
  • Putter - TP Hydro Blast Soto

I use both spiked and spikeless interchangeably and do notice that the spiked are more stable but have not had any issues slipping in my current spikeless shoes. My current go to spiked are the Cuater Ringer and spikeless are the True All Day Knit 2. Both are extremely comfortable and I highly recommend.

Edited by BreakfastBall15

Driver: PXG Black Ops, Ventus Blue 6X 

Fairways: PXG 0311 XF Gen 5 3 and 5 wood, Project X Riptide CB 6.0

Hybrid: PXG 0311 XF Gen 5 22 degree, Project X Riptide 6.0

Irons: PXG 0311P Gen 5 5-PW, Project X LS 6.5

Wedges: PXG SG2 50, 56(55), Modus 125 Wedge; PXG SG 2 60, KBS 130 Wedge  

Putter: TaylorMade Spider GT Red SB

Ball: Maxfli Tour S

MGS Star Grip Review: https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63328-star-grips-2024-forum-review/

Just bought some Skechers Twist soft spike waterproof shoes. The leather FJ soft spikes are comfortable, but the inner ankle rim rubs my hardware the wrong way.

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

I have a pair of both spiked and spikeless and will wear the spiked mostly in the Spring when it's wet and sloppy. And then spikeless when it's warm and dry. 

Driver: Ping G430 Max 10K 9º | Ping Tour 2.0 Black 75S

Fairway Wood: Ping G430 Max 3W 15º | Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 75S

Hybrids: Ping G425 Max 3H 19º | Tensei Orange 80S & Ping 4i iCrossover 22.5° | Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S

Irons: Mizuno JPX921 Forged (5-GW) | Dynamic Gold 120 S300

Wedges: Ping s159 54º & 58º | PING Z-Z115

Putter: TaylorMade Spider Tour

Ball: ProV1x