Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Finishing my bag

Hello everyone, 

im just wondering what your thoughts are on either a fairway wood or a hybrid ? 

Currently a 15 handicap with good ball striking on my irons but less than average striking on my driver. If my driver isn’t hitting well I’ll always go to my 5 iron which I hit roughly 210 consistently. 

conditions here are very soupy for most of the season but peak summer is very dry. 

any suggestions on good hybrids or fairway woods to give a shot ? 

thanks 

Driver: Sim2 max - ventus 5-s shaft - lamkin cross line grip 

Irons:  Snake eyes 600b - rifle 5.5 shafts - golf pride mcc white grip standard 

Wedges: Titleist vokey sm4 (52*,56*) and a raw 60* - all with lamkin cross line grips 

Putter: Odessey R-ball stroke lab putter  

You're going to learn everyone's favorite fairway wood, hybrid or long iron substitute - unfortunately their favorite may not work for you.  I'd highly recommend that you consider a lesson focusing on driver - if you know of a good teacher - or that you go get fit for driver if you aren't already fit - you may find that's the best solution.  

Good luck.  

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I guess the better question would be, are you hitting out of the fairway or rough more with these longer clubs?  

As someone who has struggled with driver, a hybrid worked better for me and gave me a club from any longer grass.  

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

As others have said, there are a number of ways to fill out your bag. Only one of those ways will optimize your game. I would go to a fitter and focus on your driver and the fairway wood/hybrid question. An issue you might run into is trying to simulate the soupy conditions you mentioned prevail in your area. That could have a big impact on whether a fairway wood or hybrid makes more sense. Either way, enjoy the ride! its always fun tinkering with what should go in the bag.

Driver - Taylormade Sim Max 10.5*

3 wood - Taylormade Sim  2 Max 15* - 

5 wood - Taylormade Sim 2 19*- 

4-PW - Mizuno 921 Hot Metal Pro

50*/54*/58* - Vokey SM9

Putter - Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

5 hours ago, Josh Parker said:

I guess the better question would be, are you hitting out of the fairway or rough more with these longer clubs?  

As someone who has struggled with driver, a hybrid worked better for me and gave me a club from any longer grass. 

5 hours ago, Brycwade said:

As others have said, there are a number of ways to fill out your bag. Only one of those ways will optimize your game. I would go to a fitter and focus on your driver and the fairway wood/hybrid question. An issue you might run into is trying to simulate the soupy conditions you mentioned prevail in your area. That could have a big impact on whether a fairway wood or hybrid makes more sense. Either way, enjoy the ride! its always fun tinkering with what should go in the bag.

Thanks! 

6 hours ago, revkev said:

You're going to learn everyone's favorite fairway wood, hybrid or long iron substitute - unfortunately their favorite may not work for you.  I'd highly recommend that you consider a lesson focusing on driver - if you know of a good teacher - or that you go get fit for driver if you aren't already fit - you may find that's the best solution.  

Good luck.  

Yes thank you! I do have someone in mind to get a few lessons with. Great idea! 

Wedges: Titleist vokey sm4 (52*,56*) and a raw 60* - all with lamkin cross line grips 

On 2/27/2024 at 5:49 PM, Back9Scott said:

Yes thank you! I do have someone in mind to get a few lessons with. Great idea! 

Its a cheaper option than buying a new club. 🙂  

Good luck and let us know if it helps. 

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

22 hours ago, revkev said:

Its a cheaper option than buying a new club. 🙂  

Good luck and let us know if it helps. 

One session in and I gained 15 yards off the tee and much better dispersion! 

22 hours ago, Back9Scott said:

One session in and I gained 15 yards off the tee and much better dispersion! 

That's awesome - don't get discouraged if that doesn't hold on the course - just stick with what worked in the lesson - it takes a while for it to feel natural and under a little pressure it's easy to forget.  (that advice is meant for me, too - I recently had a lesson that really helped but it also feels a bit unnatural and at times I'm reverting)

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

52 minutes ago, revkev said:

That's awesome - don't get discouraged if that doesn't hold on the course - just stick with what worked in the lesson - it takes a while for it to feel natural and under a little pressure it's easy to forget.  (that advice is meant for me, too - I recently had a lesson that really helped but it also feels a bit unnatural and at times I'm reverting)

Was very interesting! Simple change in the take away. 

I got a notebook the other day to help with swing thoughts and reminders. Thanks for the encouragement!