Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Taylormade Spider GT Hosel Removal

Looking for some advice on what I think may be a crazy project.

I want to convert a center shafted GT Spider into a broomstick putter. I don't believe I can bend the hosel into the correct lie, so I think I will need to remove and reweld or replace with a new hosel. I see that the hosel goes through the head into the bottom. Does that mean that it is not welded or milled into the putter head? Has anyone ever removed the hosel from a putter like this?

s-l960.jpg

9 minutes ago, Beamlith said:

I don't believe I can bend the hosel into the correct lie, so I think I will need to remove and reweld or replace with a new hosel. I see that the hosel goes through the head into the bottom. Does that mean that it is not welded or milled into the putter head? Has anyone ever removed the hosel from a putter like this?

You might be able to get the hosel bend, but I am guessing you want to go more that 5 or 6 degrees so breaking is definitely a possibility.    My guess is that the hosel is just epoxied,  it you will have to be careful when heating to not damage the insert. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

9 minutes ago, cnosil said:

You might be able to get the hosel bend, but I am guessing you want to go more that 5 or 6 degrees so breaking is definitely a possibility.    My guess is that the hosel is just epoxied,  it you will have to be careful when heating to not damage the insert. 

I figure it is just epoxy as well, so in theory I should be able to heat the bottom of the hosel as seen in the photo and pull it out. From there, I assume I can just heat it and bend or cut the hosel cylinder off and reattach it at the proper angle.

13 minutes ago, Beamlith said:

I figure it is just epoxy as well, so in theory I should be able to heat the bottom of the hosel as seen in the photo and pull it out. From there, I assume I can just heat it and bend or cut the hosel cylinder off and reattach it at the proper angle.

In theory yes.   Just be careful with the heat with the insert and when you heat the hosel after removal you might damage the finish.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

It might be a shaft over hosel design,  heat up the end of the saft just above the crown.  Make sure you cover the top with wet towel/tissue or cooling gel.  It will come loose.  Bend the shaft, never the hosel, the short stub of osel will snap.

Edited by release

A while ago I read that someone was able to bend the hosel on a GTX armlock roughly 8 degrees upright, if that's all that you need then maybe u can save yourself the trouble. However it's an armlock vs a center shaft.

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1934503-spider-gtx-is-really-stable/?do=findComment&comment=24777465

Honma TW747 at 10,5 deg w 50gr SR shaft

Taylormade M6 3 wood w stock S shaft

Titleist U500 2iron hzrdus 6.0

Mizuno MP 18 MB with KBS Tour 105

Titleist Vokey SM8 

Titleist Scotty Cameron Coronado.