Star Grips - 2024 Forum Review

Message added by MGS-Forum-Mod,

Follow our testers main posts in the links below!

@BreakfastBall15 -Main Post

@LeakyValve - Main Post

@Alf. S - Main Post

@EugeGallMain Post

Played yesterday and took out my 52° wedge at the 10th to play a full shot in, it felt light in my hand, looking at the grip it was a std size instead of mid.  I have used   one of the sample grips Star Grips sent me, the pink neon grip. Good thing I knew where to look to identify it was the wrong size.

I used up all the grips including the spares, Iooks like I will get a chance to test how easy the grips come off. 

WIMB

Driver Callaway Epic 10.5' Fujikura Stiff

3W Callaway Epic 15' Fujikura Stiff

3-AW Srixon Z565 Nippon Stiff

52', 56' Cleveland RTX 585 Wedges

Putter Taylormade Rosa Daytona

Bags 2017 Callaway Org14 Cart bag or 2018 Srixon Z start Carry bag 

• 2 weeks later...

Removing and re-gripping was so easy, it took more time to charge the compressor than to re-grip.

1. Insert in vice (15s) 
  2. blow grip off (1s)
  3. put solvent in new grip (10s)
  4. Put on new grip (30s)
  5. Remove from vice (15s)

The solvent means you can adjust the alignment while it is still wet but the grip doesn't loosen.

WIMB

Posted (edited)

Oops just tried to order another couple of grips on-line and got a bit of a shock.

Wanted to change my wedges to match the MD5 head colour of blue.

I have 2 drivers, I have been using my Epic original driver which I regripped but I've switched to my Epic Draw driver yesterday which has a IOMIC std size grip. To match my other woods I wanted to get another Green grip.

I went to the website added 3 grips at £7 each => £21 only to get to check out and a £34 worldwide shipping charge! 

So I guess I'll leave it for now. Probably take off the IOMIC and regrip with multiple layers of tape.

Edited by Alf. S

WIMB

31 minutes ago, Alf. S said:

Oops just tried to order another couple of grips on-line and got a bit of a shock.

I have 2 drivers, I have been using my Epic original driver which I regripped but I've switched to my Epic Draw driver yesterday which has a IOMIC std size grip. To match my other woods I wanted to get another Green grip.

I went to the website added 3 grips at £7 each => £21 only to get to check out and a £34 worldwide shipping charge! 

So I guess I'll leave it for now. Probably take off the IOMIC and regrip with multiple layers of tape.

I've got to admit being lucky with grips.

I play simulated leather wrap types
because I don't like wearing a glove.

One can order almost anything from anybody with either Golf Pride or Wynn wrap-type simulated leather grips

On 5/12/2024 at 8:53 PM, Alf. S said:

I was going to swap the Tour Stars that I got as part of the test for some Sidewinders for my woods and even went as far as adding a couple extra (as their website suggested) to qualify for the free shipping and got the same £34 shipping charge. Bit misleading during the order process so needless to say I've pulled the pin on that order - LOL

:callaway-small: Paradym 10.5 Project X Hzrdus Silver
:callaway-small: Paradym 3HL Project X Hzrdus Silver
:callaway-small: Paradym Heavenwood Project X Hzrdus Silver
:callaway-small: Paradym 4H Project X Hzrdus Silver
:tour-edge: EXS Pro Forged 5-PW True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Stiff
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50/SS Nippon NS Pro Modus3 Tour 105 X Stiff (8i shaft)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54/SS Nippon NS Pro Modus3 Tour 105 X Stiff (8i shaft)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 58/SS Nippon NS Pro Modus3 Tour 105 X Stiff (8i shaft)
:odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Seven with logo-bjm2.png.b7e1077b096fed17a2870b0f63b7837f.png Kotahi grip
seed.png.34e6908c56b2f4a28f3511fa62a86f0d.png SD-01 ball, :ShotScope: X5 Watch, :Clicgear: 8.0+

MGS Galway Bay Rain Gear Review: https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60769-galway-bay-rain-gear-2023-forum-review/

MGS Star Grip Review: https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63328-star-grips-2024-forum-review/

On 5/12/2024 at 9:28 PM, RetiredBoomer said:

I've got to admit being lucky with grips.

I play simulated leather wrap types
because I don't like wearing a glove.

One can order almost anything from anybody with either Golf Pride or Wynn wrap-type simulated leather grips

In the UK the best selection available is from Adore Grips who are usually my goto. Star seem to be distributed from Sweden and not directly available in the UK. Shame!

WIMB

• 3 weeks later...

I've decided to try something else.  I thought about ordering just a couple sidewinder grips, but after checking the price and shipping costs, checked Amazon, and ordered a full set of "standard" generic grips for $35.  We'll see how they do.

So perhaps the greatest thing I have learned from this thread and all the great feedback is this:

Changing grips with the compressor method is SO EASY !!!!!! 

Let me be clear.  I didn't necessarily find anything wrong with the Star Grips, the Tour Wrap 360 simply wasn't working for me.  Just too soft.  Particularly the red.   In less than an hour though, I was able to blow off the Star Grips, and put the new ones on, and keep all of the Star grips just in case.

For what it is worth for anyone out there, I found that one layer of painter tape on the shaft was the key to the easiest removal and install, regardless of the model grip used.  Star Grips say their grips are designed for the compressor method, which was not the case with the grips I ordered.  In fact, there was an option to order them with the tape and solvent "kit", but I just ordered the grips, and had absolutely no trouble sliding them on.  They seem very secure, but need to be tested on full swings still.

:srixon-small:      ZX7 MKII  Driver 9.5 Stiff flex Smoke Black shaft

:taylormade-small:  3HL 17 Rocketballz Matrix Ozik Stiff

:wilson_staff_small:  C300 Hybrids 20. 23 Fujikura Speeder Stiff

:taylormade-small:   Stealth 5- PW Ventus Red 6-R

Screenshot2024-07-132_16_06PM.png.b5cba86d1671728aea26101cb7b4e4a9.pngEdison 49 and 55 degree wedges

:cleveland-small:  RTX 4  64/6 Raw Wedges

:EVNROLL:  ER5 CS 35 in putter

:ShotScope: V3 GPS Shot tracker watch

:OnCore:  OnCore Elixr

:BagBoy: Nitron Push Cart and Revolver XP cart bag

Has anyone had any small bubbles pop up on the grips. I'll have to grab photos later.  

I have had a few little bubbles in random spots pop up on a few grips. I don't know what would cause them.  I keep clubs indoors other than when I play. 

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

54 minutes ago, Josh Parker said:

Has anyone had any small bubbles pop up on the grips. I'll have to grab photos later.  

I have had a few little bubbles in random spots pop up on a few grips. I don't know what would cause them.  I keep clubs indoors other than when I play. 

I actually thought I had that once or twice, but then thought I had imagined it.  Very small and barely noticeable, and then went away so I really wasn't sure that it happened if that makes sense.

Screenshot2024-07-132_16_06PM.png.b5cba86d1671728aea26101cb7b4e4a9.pngEdison 49 and 55 degree wedges

1 minute ago, sellemental said:

I actually thought I had that once or twice, but then thought I had imagined it.  Very small and barely noticeable, and then went away so I really wasn't sure that it happened if that makes sense.

I'll look and see if mine are still there.  I didn't look when I played today. They may have gone away as well. 

3 minutes ago, LeakyValve said:

@Josh Parker I haven't noticed any bubbles. When you installed did you take all the old tape off? 

Yeah. I just looked and they are all gone. I had 3 clubs that had little bubbles on them in random spots. No bigger than a sharpie marker tip size. 

As far as the generic grips I got off of Amazon, didn't have any issues after one session at the driving range with twisting or slipping.   I only mention it in the context of I'm not certain any grips work better or worse using only the compressor and no solvent.  Take it for what it's worth with my limited experience, but that's where I'm at right now.

More importantly, I wanted to add this tidbit I forgot to mention  before regarding the Star Grips.  Curious if any other Shot Scope or Arccos users experienced this issue:

The sensors would "loosen" or begin to back out of the Star grip, often after every few swings.  I really noticed this on the softer feeling red grips and cannot say for certain if I ever had one with the firmer white grips, but it became rather annoying quickly to have to screw it back into the handle frequently.

A little update on these grips: I played today and the humidity was insane. Sweaty the entire time and I had next to no issues with these grips. A few times I had to wipe them down but other than that no issues

Driver: PXG Black Ops, Ventus Blue 6X 

Fairways: PXG 0311 XF Gen 5 3 and 5 wood, Project X Riptide CB 6.0

Hybrid: PXG 0311 XF Gen 5 22 degree, Project X Riptide 6.0

Irons: PXG 0311P Gen 5 5-PW, Project X LS 6.5

Wedges: PXG SG2 50, 56(55), Modus 125 Wedge; PXG SG 2 60, KBS 130 Wedge  

Putter: TaylorMade Spider GT Red SB

Ball: Maxfli Tour S

MGS Star Grip Review: https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63328-star-grips-2024-forum-review/

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, BreakfastBall15 said:

A little update on these grips: I played today and the humidity was insane. Sweaty the entire time and I had next to no issues with these grips. A few times I had to wipe them down but other than that no issues

That's great to hear BFBall!  I'll chime in as well.  I've had mine for a couple months now and I can't find any signs of wear.  I go to the range way more than I play and usually start seeing wear from my index finger (trail hand) on my grips within 2 months.  I see none on these Star Tout Wraps.  The last brand of grips I used were Iomic, the brand before that was GP. 

Zero complaints. 

Edited by Gunn404

Posted (edited)

I would also like to chime in that I put a black midsize sidewinder on my driver about a month ago and it has helped a ton with the slippage I was having with the GP grip I had previously on it. It gets to around 100° out on the course most days, so that extra grip has been amazing. 

Edited by Michael.Sandoval33

WITB

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Qi10 Max 10.5°

Hybrid: 🐏 FX Max 25°, :titleist-small: Tsi2 21°

4i-9i: 🐏 FX Max 10

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM10 - 50° 12f, 54° 14f, 58° 14k

Putter:  :mizuno-small: M.Craft Type VI

Ball: :maxfli: Tour X

Bag: Ghost Golf Maverick 14-Way 

Glove: Nexgen Nano-X Pro Tour+

On 6/7/2024 at 6:27 PM, sellemental said:

More importantly, I wanted to add this tidbit I forgot to mention  before regarding the Star Grips.  Curious if any other Shot Scope or Arccos users experienced this issue:

I haven't had any issue with my shot scopes yet. I usually feel them when I'm on the course before I hit or on the range. I did notice that the one tag that's in my MCC4 feels alot more secure compared to the squishy tops of the Stars

"We're weekend golfers. Of course we just buy gear off the racks and wonder why it doesn't work"

On 6/11/2024 at 12:03 PM, LeakyValve said:

I haven't had any issue with my shot scopes yet. I usually feel them when I'm on the course before I hit or on the range. I did notice that the one tag that's in my MCC4 feels alot more secure compared to the squishy tops of the Stars

I haven’t had and fall out but I also noticed that they aren’t very secure either

Driver: PXG Black Ops, Ventus Blue 6X 

Fairways: PXG 0311 XF Gen 5 3 and 5 wood, Project X Riptide CB 6.0

Hybrid: PXG 0311 XF Gen 5 22 degree, Project X Riptide 6.0

Irons: PXG 0311P Gen 5 5-PW, Project X LS 6.5

Wedges: PXG SG2 50, 56(55), Modus 125 Wedge; PXG SG 2 60, KBS 130 Wedge  

Putter: TaylorMade Spider GT Red SB

Ball: Maxfli Tour S

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, I just read and re read every single post on these grips.  I just won a set on IG, and needed to understand every aspect I could before making the selection.

I've never played using a wrap style grip, and it's hard deciding to go that route having  tried them.

How is everyone's holding up?

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

1 minute ago, Rob Person said:

Well, I just read and re read every single post on these grips.  I just won a set on IG, and needed to understand every aspect I could before making the selection.

I've never played using a wrap style grip, and it's hard deciding to go that route having  tried them.

I use the Tour+ grips and they're holding up great.  There is wear on 3 grips from taking them in and out of my bag.  I think is mainly from me putting clubs back, the butt end of the grip going back into the bag will rub another grip causing a wear spot.  

I have no thoughts of making any changes.  I think they're fantastic.  

Mine are holding up great, still feel and look good...mostly Sidewinder mid size, and wraps on my 3 and 4 iron. However it's only been 3-4 months or thereabouts, and I've never had a grip that didn't feel good after that long. A year from now will be when I'll have a more meaningful answer.

I say don't over-think it...just choose a style and don't look back! 🙂  If your current grips happen to be slick/hard/worn, it'll most likely be a huge step up no matter what you go with.

Victor Bruhn

SW Washington State

Is there a benefit to the stargrip tour wrap style over the sidewinder?

I'm leaning towards the sidewinder due to having it in a midsized option.

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

4 minutes ago, Rob Person said:

Is there a benefit to the stargrip tour wrap style over the sidewinder?

I'm leaning towards the sidewinder due to having it in a midsized option.

I think the tour+ come in a mid.  I like the feeling of the wrap style over the Sw's.  The tours feel like they have more grip to me.  

17 minutes ago, Gunn404 said:

I think the tour+ come in a mid.  I like the feeling of the wrap style over the Sw's.  The tours feel like they have more grip to me.  

O see they come in std and jumbo.  Ugh... decisions decisions 

4 hours ago, Rob Person said:

my grips are still going strong.  no tears, rips, or firmness as a grip ages.  the only thing that i have to do is wash the grips since they are starting to get slick due to all the sweating in the summer 100 degree heat.

WITB

Cobra Radspeed 10.5 driver

Cobra 3 wood

Nickent hybrid

PXG 0311 3-PW 

Cleveland zip core wedges 52,56,60

Odyssey/Goodwood  putters-models works 7 for odyssey and Goodwood custom putters switch out from time to time.

12 minutes ago, Rob Person said:

O see they come in std and jumbo.  Ugh... decisions decisions 

they also make a mid or at least they did.  not sure if they make a mid size wrap though.

WITB

Cobra Radspeed 10.5 driver

Cobra 3 wood

Nickent hybrid

PXG 0311 3-PW 

Cleveland zip core wedges 52,56,60

Odyssey/Goodwood  putters-models works 7 for odyssey and Goodwood custom putters switch out from time to time.

1 hour ago, Gunn404 said:

Yep, Tour+ is "standard" or Jumbo and Wrap is standard and mid.  The Tour+ is less tapered than the wrap.

Having never tried the wrap style, and wanting to jump to a jumbo grip as well, the tour+ sounds like what's want

Of course, they are now toying with mixed color grips in the sidewinder (as seen on IG)  amd and maybe they will offer those!

2 hours ago, Rob Person said:

Having never tried the wrap style, and wanting to jump to a jumbo grip as well, the tour+ sounds like what's want

Of course, they are now toying with mixed color grips in the sidewinder (as seen on IG)  amd and maybe they will offer those!

I think there's an option to order a few different grips to try them out and Star sends them free shipping.