Testers Wanted: Vice Golf Irons ×

Center shafted putters

MrHogan

I have a L.A.B DF2.1 Broomstick putter and it's never coming out of the bag. It's specifically designed/weighted as a long putter and Arccos has me at +0.5 SG putting with it compared to my 6 handicap. My make percentages over the past 25 rounds are 100% 0-2', 90% 3-5', 40% 6-9', 17% 10-14', 10% 15-24', 3% 25-39' and 0% from 40' out (but in the past I've made some bombs with it including and 83 footer for birdie). 

Currently in the bag:

Cobra Aerojet LS 9* | Cobra LTDx 3 wood 14* | Callaway Utility Wood 17* and 21* | Haywood CB/MB combo set (4-7 CB; 8-PW MB) | Edison 2.0 wedges 53*, 57* | LAB DF2.1 Broomstick 50” | Transrover bag

Now you're speaking my language! I've owned dozens of center shafted putters over the last 30 years, and they now make up the entirety of my arsenal:

• Ping DS72 C (the gamer)
  • Sub 70 005 Wide Blade CS (2 of these: a 35" and a 37.5")
  • Wishon S2R 4 (2 of these: a 35" (not pictured) and a 37.5")
  • Byron Morgan 007 Spud (won in a fantasy golf contest on the old PutterTalk Forum in 2010)
  • Plop Original New & Improved
  • Bell TW-370
  • Rife Barbados CS (now in my wife's bag)

IMG_5870.jpeg

IMG_5875.jpeg

Driver: Ping G400 Max (10.5° @ 9.9°) - Wishon S2S Red Wood S
Hybrids: Wishon EQ1-NX (20°, 24°) - Wishon S2S Red Hybrid S
Irons: Wishon EQ1-NX (6i-9i) - Aerotech SteelFiber i95 R
Wedges: Wishon EQ1-NX (45°, 50°, 55°, 60°) - Aerotech SteelFiber i110 R
Putter: Ping DS72 C
Balls: Srixon Z-Star

I just bought my second center-shafted putter, a Cleveland HB Soft 11C.  It's replacing my my HB Soft 10.5C, which got bent due to some stuff piled into the back of my truck.  

I prefer the center shaft.  The alignment just looks better to me and I feel like I get a better, straighter sweep of the ball with it.  If the 10.5C hadn't been bent I'd still be using that one, as I like the mallet head shape.  The 11C has some wings, but the head itself is still deeper than a blade putter.

My putting has dropped steadily, I now average 1.8 per 18 holes.  

image.png.e8c10fa1be7864c805421b46b25ae879.png image.png.1c330b3b4dda697627518ff766f8aa2f.png

BigMacQue
Titleist Driver and Hybrid
Titleist T400 Irons, 5-GW
Vokey Wedges, 50 and 56
Cleveland Launcher 3 Wood and Cleveland 10.5C HB Soft Putter
Titleist Tour Soft

On 3/17/2024 at 5:56 PM, MrHogan said:

Fellow Spy’s,

I am looking to purchase a new putter and need feedback from anyone currently gaming a center shafted putter. Many years ago I gamed a center shafted putter which always produced great results due to a straight back and through stroke. My stroke evolved into a gradual arc and I am currently gaming a SC Newport 1.5.

Old habits die and now my stroke seems to have regressed back to a straight back and forward stroke, hence the curiosity and possible need for a center shafted type putter. 

So, recommendations, suggestions, endorsements? My short list is Evenroll ( groove technology), Sik (DLT has my attention), SC Phantom line.

All feedback welcomed and appreciated. Thx much.

I've never liked center shafted putters, but 9nly because it doesn't fit me eye. That's it. 

Ive never been the person that looks matter. I just believe if it works it works now with that being said I have never owned a center shafted putter but when i went for my putter fitting i did try a few. A spider putter and a lab putter but ended up going with my evnroll putter. The evnroll even beat out my scotty newport 2 putter neither are center shafted but the evnroll has saved me an average of 2.6 strokes per round and that was good enough for me. For me a new putter is hard to get used to so once i find one i tend to stick with it same with my irons. Now wedges, drivers hybrids i change them as much as my underwear which i probably shouldnt. Hitem straight folks!!!!!

Love my apex irons and my brnr mini. Still fighting for par. Hitem straight...

I still have an old odyssey center shaft in my bag, I game a stroke lab mallet right now but any time my putting starts to disappear I go back and game the center shaft to get me back on track.  Love the way the stroke lab feels vs my center shaft but its my billy baroo when I am really struggling. 

Irons: Nike Vapor Pro Combo 3-PW, Steel, Stiff flex

Driver: Cobra Aerojet LS, stiff flex, usually play 9.5

Fairway: Cobra Aerojet Max, 3W, stiff flex

Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM8  52,56,58

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab Mallet

Right Handed

Fishers, Indiana

HDCP: 18

4 hours ago, RoverRick said:

IMG_4356.jpeg.65b97ff3167441cc028fc71680202ded.jpeg

Yep, I have a center shafted putter or two, actually three. For years, I would take 2 or 3 different putters to the practice green before the round and see which on fit my stroke that day.

May 10, 2023, my L.A.B. Golf DF2.1 arrived. I have only taken other putters to the course since to sell them. There is no comparison between L.A.B. and other putters. 

I’ve decided that instead of finding the putter that fit my swing, I was finding the putter that fought me the least. In the 200+ rounds with the DF2.1 I have averaged 27 putts per hole. But I have never felt like I have made a “bad stroke”. Sure I’ve missed putts but for speed or line. Never because I was fighting the putter.

Full disclosure, I have a friend with a MEZZ1, and I have seen him make plenty of bad strokes. Pushing or pulling the putt. But he too has not brought another putter to the course since he bought a L.A.B. 10-11 months ago. 

I like LAB putters too. But if you are putting 27 times per hole ,  I might have to rethink them. That's 486 putts per round. LOL

SjW

I have the Cleveland Soft HB 10.5 in a center shaft.  I really like it.  Only difference is that I have to be more “over the ball” with the center shaft than with an offset putter.  

Driver - Titleist 917 Speeder 757 X-Flex

Woods/Hybrids - Titleist 913 series Aldila Riptide X-Flex 

Irons - 710/712 CB/MB Combo Set TTDG X100 & S300

Wedges - Vokey 52/56/60

Putter - Scotty Cameron Select Fastback 1.0

I like the idea of a center shafted putter. My dad, son, and I always talk about them. We are all of the same mind set, they are very good. Of course, none of us currently play one. It will definitely be something I test when looking for my next putter.

My concerns:

-Does the location of the shaft to the head of the club effects the MOI? Is there more twist in the face on off-center hits?

-Will I be confident with the look of a center shafted putter? Confidence increases if the club looks good behind the ball.

Sub 70 659 TC irons

Sub70 949X 5-wood

Taylormade M4 driver and 3-wood

TaylormadeSpider X putter

Pro V1 

center shafted, face balanced.... perimeter weighting....  all make logical sense to me.   and appeal to my golf soul.   However, golf and especially putting is such a mental game that whatever feels good at the moment.... is what you'll probably play best with... at the moment.   

Factor in that I'm getting older and only play once a week, no practicing...  I love the game (started 60 years ago) and play for the fun and social interaction (wager) with friendships of 50 years.    I feel like a student of the game and take it seriously, but golf is not my life; just an important part.  So I hate 3 putts; but accept it as part of my 20 index game.   Realistically, I don't expect to improve at my 75 years.... and my putting is decent.   Pre-covid, I switched to an Odyssey O-works redhead and I felt it helped my alignment for 5 ft putts.   I could test out a center shaft, as I do like to stand right over the ball, but I'm in no rush to buy one.   

Titleist 915 D2

beryllium Ping eye2

Vokey wedges

Odessey 2 ball putter

On 3/17/2024 at 3:33 PM, cnosil said:

Feedback:   Putting strokes aren't straight back and through.   Don't have to have a center shafted putter for a "SBST" stroke.   

That said if you want a center shafted putter, the ones you selected are fine.  Many would recommend LAB as the best option.   I play a Sacks Parente that I do really well with aiming and starting the ball where aimed.  

My longest iron is an 8i. Everything else is the wood or hybrid. That's all you need to know!

I have a Seemore Nashville series putter with the center shaft. Unstable shoulder issues has taken it out of my bag. 

I originally bought the center shafted putter because my then current ping putter shaft was bent when stacked poorly in the bottom of a friends trunk. A center shaft is a straight shaft and can be easily replaced. The oddball bends in my ping shaft mad it impossible to replace. 

Driver :taylormade-small: Sim Max2

Hybrids :ping-small: G430 2, 3, 4

Irons :srixon-small: ZX4 6-PW

Wedges :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 50, 54, 58

Putter :odyssey-small: 2Ball Ten ArmLock

Golf cart MGI Zip Navigator

:Arccos:

I'm not a huge believer in the looks of a club or anything of the sort when it comes to swings but for putters, I completely buy into it. As long as a club feels good and you get results, that's what matters...I think this is exponentially more in play when it comes to putters. I have a buddy who couldn't use my old white hot mallet because there was a tiny scratch on the top of it. He uses a $40 amazon putter and does just fine.

I love center shafted putters for one big reason and that's because another friend wanted one and when he got one, he gifted me his old Scotty Select Round Back. As far as using one, I never have but I really like what I have now.  Add that to the fact that I will never spend $300+ on a putter means I'll likely never get another Scotty so I'll stay with what I have and like.

Callaway Rogue ST Max D driver

Callaway Rogue ST Max D 5 wood

Callaway Rogue 7 wood

Callaway Rogue 11 wood

Callaway Rogue ST Max 4 Hybrid

Callaway Rogue ST Max OS Lite 6-AW

TaylorMade MG3 wedges (52, 56 & 60)

Scotty Cameron Select Roundback

Ive been using a CS putter for about 2 months now. I’ve definitely been hotting more putts but that could also be with the practice ive been doing. The shaft lines up behind the face of the pitter so i havent had any visual alignment issues that i thought i might have. The stroke was a little different cause o got used to a different take away with my old putter. 

IMG_9363.jpeg

Been playing for about 2 years in total. Winter breaks and a 6month period when I got sick. Starting to feel like myself again and recently played a “okay” round. 
I currently have custom fit Cobra LTDx irons/wedges, a Vokey 60(cause my short game has been the best part of my game, and a Maverick 9 deg. Driver. Driving is the worst part of my game so My 4 iron usually takes alot of the long game abuse. 

I have had an Odyssey Backstroke which is a center shafted putter for about 10 years now and love it.   Never going to use anything but a center shafted putter.  Ball never skips, putter never twists.  If you have a straight back and through stroke it's ideal.  Center shafted makes the most sense, balance is perfect.  They can be hard to find but well worth the search.  I lucked out on my Backstroke putter, had been looking for well over a year and got one finally, haven't seen another one since then.  Could use a new cover though, LOL.

Let's play another 18.  Kirk58

2 hours ago, release said:

Putters, do not need to propel the golf ball 300 yards.

It is all about alignment and speed.  

The center shafted putters are friendly to the vision of a lot of golfers.  It is not a medicine to cure all.  

Find a putter design which could match your perception/vision; then fine tune the weight and balance of the selected putter to suit your game.

Me?  I have just about all the different design of the putters through the decades; can putt adequately with any style of putters.  Of course, there are a couple of personal preferences.  

The speed of the greens will dictate which putter style/weight will be more suitable. 

well said :thumbs up:

Titleist 915 D2

beryllium Ping eye2

Vokey wedges

Odessey 2 ball putter

I currently game the Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5s at 34 inches.  It is a great feeling putter.

Titleist TSR2 10 degree with Ventus Blue 6S

Callaway Super Hybrid 2H VA Slay 85 Stiff

Callaway Super Hybrid 3H 

Srixon ZX 23* -4 driving iron - Aerotech Steelfiber I95 S

Srixon MKII ZX5 (5-A) - Aerotech Steelfiber I95 S

Bettinardi (54, 58)

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5S

I have had two center shafted putters in my life the first on was a Scotty Cameron Studio Select 2.5 that I loved.  I sold it seeking something better, and struggled putting for five years and eight putters.  Finally remembered the old center shaft and started looking.  Settled on the Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5s.  Best move in my life.  I have been enjoying this season sooooo much.  Dropped my handicap so far two shots.

Richard Eichelberger 

I have tried many 'heel' putters - a Cameron, Ping, Odyssey, etc. But my stroke is and has been a straight back and straight thru. For me, it like finding that arc on shooting a basketball, few of us can find it consistently or we would probabaly not be responding to these emails but playing BB professionally...hahaha. But like a free throw, its one simple repeatable action. I have two Center shaft putters an Odyssey 2 Ball (in shop, broke shaft when it bag fell off cart) and a NIKE METHOD CORE MC-4I  PRECISION MILLED CENTER-SHAFTED MALLET PUTTER. You stick with what works..This works for me

ALBERT "DINO" QUINTANILLA

I like the L.A.B. putters, the (DF3) fits my eye well.  I've only rolled it at GG, but it feels good and rolls good.  I feel if it works and fits my eye, I would have no problem gaming it.  

I'm currently gaming a Scotty GoLo S.  As much as I would like to make a change, it is a costly move.  As they say, it's not the arrow, it's the archer.  Maybe getting off my ass and practicing more might save me a lot of cash..

LOL

Titleist 712 MBs PXG 3w Scotty Golo

Titleist ProV1x

As a “putter ho,” I’ve bought/tried all kinds of putters. I learned that I need some toe hang, but I still have two center-shafts, in case I need/want a change… There is a simplicity to straight back, straight through - but the arc is strong in this one…

Chasing my ball around the cow field, trying to avoid the “ruff.”

1 hour ago, 235YardsAndStillScratch said:

Why do you say that putting strokes are not "straight back straight through"? Are not some that way? Or very very close?

What component are you considering?  Putters have lie angle and therefore the putter moves along an inclined plane.   As the putter head moves back it moves up the plane which causes the putter head to move inside the target line as it moves forward it approaches the target line and then moves inside as it moves through the forward stroke,   The flatter your swing plane the more the head will appear to arc.   You hands are farther up the plane and a similar thing will happen except it is less of an arc than the putter head.   

then strokes typically have a left or right bias.  A left bias path will tilt the plane left and give the appearance of less arc on the backswing and more arc on the through swing.  Opposite for a right bias path.  

I suppose it is possible to move the putter SBST but that would require some form of manipulation to accomplish and would be harder to replicate.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I liked them , had one, it was "borrowed" by a cretin.  Then I learned that what I really liked was Face balanced.  Found a Scotty wing that worked ok.  Spent a few more years in my numerous local Golfmart stores, trying out the feel of lots of sticks.  Found I like the arrow/triangle shape face balanced putter, like Evnroll 6.  Now have Odyssey "R Ball"  with Stroke Lab shaft, it is similar to a 2 ball but it is called the R Ball.  Love it.  I think I handled a LAB type once or twice, did not like it.  If I have oppty to try the new ones I will but I doubt it will beat what I finally found.

Drv: PXG 0211 10.5 deg, Evnflo Riptide CB 40 gram A flex; and 2004 Callaway 454 Ti 10 deg on RCH 65 regular flex.

3W: Callaway Steelhead Xr  Tensei Blue CK 55 gram A flex.

5W : Titleist TSi 1 on Aldila Ascent 40 regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC Fli-Hi 3i 18 degree, Recoil 95 reg flex.

4 iron:  GFF Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree hollow body.

5 Hybrid: Mizuno 2017 version JPX Fli-Hi wave tech, Recoil ESX 460 reg flex.

6 - PW: Ping I 500, on Recoil Smacwrap ES 760, reg flex.

Wedges: 52/9 GFF Mizuno S5; Lob: 60/6 GFF Mizuno T7; Sand: old 56/12 Hogan Sure Out, heavy sole, Apex shaft.

Chipper:  Ancien Regime Don Martin "Up n In" brass/bronze. 🙂

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab "R" Ball, face balanced, 2 piece, Stroke Lab multi material shaft.🙃

1 hour ago, KG221 said:

I like the L.A.B. putters, the (DF3) fits my eye well.  I've only rolled it at GG, but it feels good and rolls good.  I feel if it works and fits my eye, I would have no problem gaming it.  

I'm currently gaming a Scotty GoLo S.  As much as I would like to make a change, it is a costly move.  As they say, it's not the arrow, it's the archer.  Maybe getting off my ass and practicing more might save me a lot of cash..

LOL

I mean, sure, but to play devil's advocate for a second:  have you tried STAYING on your ass and putting from the couch?  Could be a game-changer.  (Oh man, did I just invent a billion-dollar idea? "Putt from your couch! Our new, patented "couch putter" is smaller than an average putter, but with a 90-degree angle built into it so you can swing it while sitting! But wait, THERE'S MORE! Order now and we'll throw in a "Number 2" putter you can keep by the toilet, so you can always be practicing!" )

I'm a genius.  You're all welcome.

Driver - PXG 0811 XF - Gen 5, 9 degrees (+1 setting), Oban Devotion TR 65 04
3/5 Wood - Cobra LTDx Max (Blue Colorway)
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*)
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Chrome Tour Triple-Track

4 minutes ago, GolfSpy SAM said:

I mean, sure, but to play devil's advocate for a second:  have you tried STAYING on your ass and putting from the couch?  Could be a game-changer.  (Oh man, did I just invent a billion-dollar idea? "Putt from your couch! Our new, patented "couch putter" is smaller than an average putter, but with a 90-degree angle built into it so you can swing it while sitting! But wait, THERE'S MORE! Order now and we'll throw in a "Number 2" putter you can keep by the toilet, so you can always be practicing!" )

Those are all excellent and imaginative ideas with the one caveat that the grumpy USGA proscribes a square 90º angle on putters.  They know how to be a pain.

tba

29 minutes ago, GolfSpy SAM said:

20240522_103634.jpg

Titleist 712 MBs PXG 3w Scotty Golo

Titleist ProV1x

To go along with some of the posts on putting stroke changes about 10 years ago I was fitted for a putter - ended up with a Taylormade putter with 38 degrees of toe hang.  Fast forward to 2 years ago and my putting was less than stellar, on a whim tried a Evnroll ER5 and things started to turn around (loved the putter but I was still inconsistent).  

I always resisted trying a CS putter because it just didn't look right.  While at a golf shop, and putting, one of the staff remarked how straight back and through my putting stroke was suggesting several face balanced putters - one being a CS putter.  I immediately felt more relaxed (for lack of a better description) and confident in my stroke.  Started trying the CS putters and things clicked, might have gone with a Evnroll CS putter but tried the Mizuno MiCraft OMOI 05 putter and it was outstanding.  It has a milled face, and it may just be me but it feels softer than the average milled face, but not as soft as an insert.  

I have friends who work for a major supplier to PING and were able to arrange a fitting for me at their Tour Facility.  I walked in with my Cameron Laguna 2.5 and got up onto their perfectly flat astro turf covered granite table and hit five putts with it to 4" aluminum discs that they put down on the astroturf.  I hit what I thought were pretty decent putts hitting the disc with two of five.  The fitting facility included cameras and a iphone that attached to the shaft of my putter.  After I hit three of the five putts with my putter, the PING fitter shook his head in disgust with his arms crossed in front of his chest.  He said, "You weren't fit for that putter, were you?"  I responded, "No, it's a pretty old putter and I did not have putter fitting available to me when I bought it.  I liked how it looked and felt, so I bought it."  He replied, "You couldn't be using a worse putter.  That putter has maximum toe hang and your closing angle is 1.7 degrees."  I replied, "I'm a mechanical engineer and a pretty technical guy, can you explain?"  He then said, "Your stroke is straight back and straight through with essentially no arc.  You need a center shafted mallet.  The putters that fit you are on this wall.  Which one looks the best to you."  I said, "I hate all of them."  He said, "Which one do you hate the least."  I picked one, he set it up to my more upright loft, and added a degree of loft.  I ordered the putter, sold the Cameron and I've been in center shafted, minimal toe hang mallet putters ever since.

Ping G430 Max 10k w Alta CB 55R

Sim Titanium 3 wood with Mitsubishi C6 Red Regular

3, 4, 5 Ping G430 hybrids w Alta CB S

6-U Ping i210 w AWT 2.0 Stiff

54, 60 Ping Glide 4.0 w AWT 2.0 Stiff

Odyssey V-line CS w BTG Stability Tour Black

ProV1x  left dash

MGI Navigator AT