Golf Sidekick YT Channel Thoughts

Found this channel a year ago and it blew up my game in a big way. I was obsessed with the "Bomb and Hack" way of golf, following the science, and hating myself for it.

Yes I know all about stokes gained etc., but I dont have spectators to help find the ball when OB and chasing hero shots left a bad taste in my mouth. By playing to my actual strengths and the "traditional" wisdom of golf matters at 150 yrds and in I dropped strokes easily by simply not caring.

Ive always had a great short game and putting, so just getting myself to those scoring shots is way better. 

What YT advice has been best for your enjoyment of the game?

Course Management is for the timid.

Golf Sidekick has one of the best channels on YouTube! I've watched just about every video of his over the past 4 years. His videos denouncing strokes gained and making digs at decade and mygolfspy are some of his best content. I believe Lou Stagner on Hack It Out Golf podcast has taken his unnamed shots at Matt, in a fun way like Matt does in his videos. I'd love to see Matt as a guest on their show, it would make for a very fun debate. The Golf Stat King vs Our Playa and Chief, with Mark Crossfield as the moderator. The guys on No Putts Given threw some shade on golf sidekick a few episodes ago. I feel like they are becoming very elitist as of late, and I don't enjoy their as much anymore.  

Anyways, embracing the Way of the Playa is very hard for me mentally. Even though Matt says to start playing golf, and stop playing golf swing, it's not that easy. lol For every 1 of his videos, there are 5 how to hit bombs video from Martin Borgmeir and friends. Being the biggest hitter in my league and out of all my friends, I feel obligated to put on a show on each tee box. No matter how many balls I lose off the tee, strokes gained says to go for the green! lol 

This year I'm going to do my best to play more conservative, pick my target better, and really focus on the short game. I can't tell you how many times after a good drive, leaving me 80-100 yards out, and it's taken 2-3 shots just to get on the green. It doesn't take Arccos strokes gained analytics to learn that I need to work on my short game. Hopefully I'll get to plant my feather divot tool to grow birdies more often this year! 

Edited by Kitsu
  • Ping 425 Max 9* | Ping Tour 65 S
  • Ping 425 Max 3w+5w | Ping Tour 75 S
  • Mizuno JPX921 Hot Metal 4i-GW | Nippon NS Pro 950GH NEO S
  • Mizuno S23 54/10S + 58/12D | KBS HI-REV 2.0 115 W
  • Odyssey Stroke Lab 2-Ball Fang
  • Maxfli Tour X | Bridgestone e12 Contact
  • Ogio Alpha 14 | Clicgear 4.0
  • Arccos | Apple Watch Ultra