How many of you have opted out of a 3W for a different club in the top of the bag?

C_Daddy19

I dropped my 3W for a 5W and 7W. I also dropped my Hybrid for a 3 Iron. Currently looking for a 19* or 20* Utility iron in that spot for long par 3s. I am swinging my driver at best 100MPH. I highly encourage others to try dropping the 3W for another club. I also endorse trying a 7W over a hybrid.

Recently ditched the 3w(adjustable) & 4h/5h (fixed) due to distance/gapping issues. Replaced with 5w(adjustable) & 7w-21’ — Both better distances & higher trajectories than prior mix. 

Driver:    :callaway-logo-1:  Big Bertha. 2023. A-Light. 12.5’

Fairway: :callaway-logo-1:  Big Bertha. 2023. A-Light. 19.0’

Fairway: :callaway-logo-1:  Big Bertha. 2023. A-Light. 21.0’ Heavenwood

Irons:      :callaway-logo-1:  Big Bertha. 2023. A-Light. 6-7-8-9-PW-AW.

Wedge:    :cleveland-small: CBX-Zipcore. Wedge. 50’

Wedge:    :cleveland-small: CBX-Zipcore. Wedge. 54’

Putter:       :taylormade-small:Spider. Tour III

Depending on where I'm playing, the top of my bag is as follows

Driver 10.5 Ping G430 Max, TM Qi10 16.5 degree 3HL, Callaway 18 degree BB V-series 5 Wood, Callaway 21 degree V-series Heavenwood, Ping G425 2e2 degree 5 Hybrid.

Depending on course length, layout and playing conditions I will remove the 5 wood and add a 26 degree 6 Hybrid. 

On 4/23/2024 at 9:07 AM, C_Daddy19 said:

I'm a 130mph club head speed with driver so I'm just not sure what an optimal set up for gaping would be there.

I'm sure I can't help you with your decision.  I doubt there are many with that type of speed.  I still use a Callaway Jailbreak 3w and love it, I'm very consistent with it.  You play a game with which I am unfamiliar [to quote Mr. Jones].  I would like to see you blast a few at the driving range though. {Hint: video...}😉

-XY
BALL:  Titleist ProV1X
WOODS: Taylormade Stealth2 +, Callaway Epic Flash 3-wood
4- HYBRID: Stealth 2, stiff
IRONS: Ping i525, 6 - W, 1 degree flat, ProjectX 5.5 110 g shafts
WEDGES: Titleist SM9 52, 56, 60
PUTTER: L.A.B Mezz Max Broomstick
BAG: Ping Pioneer 
CART: MGI electric

I love hitting fairway woods, so I might be the wrong one to ask. I tend to go with a 3 wood (Normally an Adams Speedline, but I'm testing one from Byrdie Golf Design right now)as a back up driver with a Mizuno Utility Iron for tee shots and longer shots into par 5s. I can't stand hitting hybrids, mostly because I hate hitting the ball left, and every shot with a hybrid is a low hook for me.

Edited by warrenator8

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST Max D, 9.0 Degrees

Fairway Wood: Adams Speedline, 15 Degrees

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP-H5 2-Iron 18 Degrees

Irons: Cobra LTDx, 5-GW

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 (50, 54 bent to 55, 60)

Putter: LeanLock APA Model Blade/Yes Marilyn C-Groove

Currently Reviewing: Byrdie Golf Design

Past Reviews: Titleist White Box and Lean Lock Putter

Driver, 3,5,7 woods. I don't use the 3 wood a lot but when you need that distance, you need it. Bonus off the tee for short par 4's. I would rather hit my 5 wood off the deck, but if a 3 wood is going to put me in a better position, I hit it.

Driver: Callaway Epic 9 degree, stiff (set at 10 degrees with the movable weight in the center}

FW: Callaway Epic 3,5, heaven wood w/ regular shaft (driver shaft in 3 wood, 3 wood shaft in 5 wood, 5 wood shaft in heaven wood, all three set at neutral plus 1 degree)

Hybrids: Callaway BB19 4,6,7 (4 set at neutral plus 1 degree and 6 and 7 set at neutral minus 1 degree for gapping purposes)

Irons: Callaway Rogue ST Max 8, 9, PW 

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 50,54,58

Ball: Titleist Pro V1, 1X, Vice Pro Plus or anything I find that day and try out for the fun of it (I haven't bought balls with my own money in at least 10 years)

I'm not close to that SS (stock is 110 +/- 3ish) or handicap, but...I play D/3w/5w at 8-9*/13.5*/18*. Not sure what the norm is, but at the top of the bag I care less about gapping and more about hitting windows and setting up the conditions to be aggressive in the most common situations I'll see on the course. Love hitting woods and generally hate long irons for that reason; IMO woods are so much more versatile and easier to shape/flight/etc. in different situations.

I have my 3w as a low launch/low spin pseudo-mini driver. Great for controlled tee shots or hitting off the deck when I need to trust a fairly straight, consistent, controllable ball flight from way out. Depending on how tight/risky the course is, I'll go entire rounds without hitting driver because my 3w gives me 90% of its distance with 90x its accuracy. 5w has the complete opposite profile; very high launch and high spin for attacking greens and getting steeper descent angles to hit and hold. I would much rather attack with that profile than try to hit a 4i/5i in. I can flight the 3w or 5w or hit them high depending on what I want...can't really do the same with a long iron. 

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 9*

3W: Titleist TS1 13.5*

5 Wood: TaylorMade Burner 18*

3h/4h: Adams IdeaTech A4 19*/22*

Irons: Cobra Forged Tec (5-P)

Wedges: Cobra Forged Tec 50*, Vokey SM7 M Grind 54*/60*

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Bat Attack

I had ditched the 3 wood for awhile and opted for a 4 wood. That was mostly due to me not being able to find a 3 wood that was consistent for me. I have since gone back to a 3 wood. I'm currently playing a G430 max. It's really easy for me to get the trajectory I want. That's probably due to it being extremely low profile. After that, it's 3, 4, 5 hybrids. I don't have enough swing speed for longer irons, and the hybrids are almost like cheating. 

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen6 TT Riptide CB 60 s

3 Wood: Ping G430 max Alta CB 65 s

Hybrids: Ping G430 19, 22, 26 Alta CB 70 s

Irons: Mizuno JPX923 forged 6-Gap TT DG 105 s

Wedges: Mizuno S23 54, 58 KBS HI-REV 2.0 115

Putter: LAB Mezz 1 max

Ball: Vice Pro Plus

Bag: Sun Mountain C-130S

Electronics: Bushnell Tour V6 shift, Bushnell ion elite  

@C_Daddy19 I struggle with this question a lot of the time. Top of my bag is D, 3W, 4H, and 4I.  The gapping isn’t bad and the 4H and 4I are pretty close in range. So I’m toying with adding a 3H and dropping either the 3W or 4I

That said, I’m putting a lot more time practicing the top end of my bag. So I’m much more comfortable with them. 

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

3W: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

4H: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2

Irons 4I-9I:  :titleist-small: T200

Wedges P, 48: :titleist-small: T200

Wedges 54, 58: :titleist-small: Vokey SM9

Putter:  :odyssey-small: O Works #1 Black

Recently sold my 3 wood and picked up an adjustable 5w (Qi10 tour) to help fix my gapping a little. I found with the courses around that I regularly play a 3w just didn’t seem practical. 

Big dogs only

case

On 4/24/2024 at 8:05 AM, ZJeb67 said:

My 3 wood is out and I've replaced it with a Callaway Mavrik 3 hybrid 18 degrees.
I don't hit the hybrid as far, but I hit it much more consistently

I did the same thing. Thinking about getting a Callaway Super 2 Hybrid  to close the gap a little bit more. 

Practical golf FTW!

@Micah T I was kind of thinking the same thing! Difficult to adapt that after being so used to Driver-3W but then finding myself often gaped out and opting for my 7W in those in-between situations.  I think trading the Driver and 3W up and living with an open spot for a bit might encourage me to get a look at a 4W or maybe even a Driving 1i?

Kind of weird to go Driver 1i -7w though???

The forever top of the bag struggle lol

WITB:

Driver: Taylormade Stealth in Tensei CK-Tour White 80g

Woods: Taylormade 3W 13 degree in HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g

Taylormade 7W 21 degree in GD Tour AD DI 65g

Driving Iron: Taylormade UDI 2i

Irons: Sirixon ZX7 MKII in Fujikura Axiom 125g

Wedges: SM10s (a forever battle of tweaking grinds and bounces)

Putter: LAB Mezz.1 with LAGP 135g Shaft Forward Press Grip

Ball: Pro V1

@Stephen1125 thank you for that insight! I'll have to take note on the 16 degree vs 16.5 degree. I feel like that would add some more even gaping to my bag and it would make me actually end up using the 4w instead of leaving the 3w in the bag.

I personally love the Taylormade Stealth 7w, a breeze to hit out of just about anything.

WITB:

On 4/24/2024 at 6:53 AM, Josh Parker said:

I'm not near the speed but my set up at the top of the bag is 

9* Driver

16* 4W cut down to 5w length.  I don't lose any distance and can work the ball super easy.  Keep it low, high, draw or fade.

19* hybrid 

I can play the 4w off the tee and have full confidence in hitting it exactly where I want it to go.

The 16* 4w cut down is an interesting one! I'm chasing utility at the top of the bag and I think Its fallen into 15.5*-16.5* 4w then down to a 21* 7w.

I really like this idea though thank you!

WITB:

On 4/28/2024 at 1:26 PM, KC Golf said:

This is a great question.  Your driver swing speed is really impressive.

I still have my 3W in there.  I used the 3W for tee shorts where driver would be too long and I can't carry the trouble, etc.  I used to game 16.5 deg vs my current 15 deg.  But I found the 15 deg has a great lower flight pattern, so I get less wind issues with it.

I should really re think this part of the bag.  You got me thinking about it.

Thank you!

Unfortunately, the high swing speed leads to the 3w not being as "safe" of a club as I feel it should be.  Something else I have considered for flight trajectory is a Driving 1i. But then my bag looks hideous with Driver-1i-7w????

It's under utilized for me, either I'm chasing par 5s in 2 with the driver or pulling back the 7w to hit a tight fairway. The 3 wood just doesnt see alot of use at its current loft and distance.

WITB:

On 4/29/2024 at 9:51 AM, GolferXY said:

I'm sure I can't help you with your decision.  I doubt there are many with that type of speed.  I still use a Callaway Jailbreak 3w and love it, I'm very consistent with it.  You play a game with which I am unfamiliar [to quote Mr. Jones].  I would like to see you blast a few at the driving range though. {Hint: video...}😉

I appreciate the candor!! I really Enjoyed the Jailbreak driver and 3w when they came out too.

I'm fairly new to the forum! Where would I be able to post some accessible videos on the Trackman/ range?

WITB:

42 minutes ago, C_Daddy19 said:

The 16* 4w cut down is an interesting one! I'm chasing utility at the top of the bag and I think Its fallen into 15.5*-16.5* 4w then down to a 21* 7w.

I really like this idea though thank you!

It's been a great addition to the bag.  The hybrid has worked well and I have considered adding the 21* to the mix as well but I like my 4 iron for a few holes that I can hit a low line drive with it and get good roll.  

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

1 hour ago, C_Daddy19 said:

I appreciate the candor!! I really Enjoyed the Jailbreak driver and 3w when they came out too.

I'm fairly new to the forum! Where would I be able to post some accessible videos on the Trackman/ range?

You can go to the member forums and start a new thread.  You could also post in a reply to this forum.  You can post directly, or you can link to a social media site like Youtube where you have posted the video.  Looking forward to it!

-XY

4 hours ago, GolferXY said:

You can go to the member forums and start a new thread.  You could also post in a reply to this forum.  You can post directly, or you can link to a social media site like Youtube where you have posted the video.  Looking forward to it!

@GolferXY Not sure if these do it justice but I need to get some actual Trackman footage with club head metrics from Club Champion to go along side! I threw in an iron swing so it's not ALL driver lol 

I also competed in Amateur WLD back before COVID, and it's supposed to be making a comeback

TrackMan Numbers.jpg

WITB:

4 hours ago, GolferXY said:

@GolferXY Not sure if these do it justice but I need to get some actual Trackman footage with club head metrics from Club Champion to go along side! I threw in an iron swing so it's not ALL driver lol 

I also competed in Amateur WLD back before COVID, and it's supposed to be making a comeback

WITB:

On 4/23/2024 at 11:07 AM, C_Daddy19 said:

As of late I've been in a personal battle of completely reconstructing my bag away from "traditionalist" styles of clubs.

I used to play a 1i-2i-3i all with a bit of technology but realized how much stopping power I was missing out on with having some woods in the bag.  I'm wanting to put a Callaway AI Smoke TD with a 7x Tour Ventus Black as a driver, and being blessed with some speed I've looked to maybe drop the 3W (currently a 13.5 degree Stealth rocket as mini-driver) and turn it into a 4W??

So top of the bag might go Driver-4W-7W??? I'm a 130mph club head speed with driver so I'm just not sure what an optimal set up for gaping would be there.

What are you playing in the top of your bag?

You're a lot faster than me (110-115), but I'm loving the AiSmoke Triple Diamond 3W (15*) I got used at Golf Galaxy last month.  Even with the stock Project X Denali shaft, I've been rocking that on many shots where I'd have been "spraying and praying" with my higher-spinning driver.  I have put a Callaway adapter on my Tensei White AV fairway shaft and will be trying that out too, but even if I don't beat the stock shaft, I can play the tips on most courses as a 50-year-old and not feel like I have to pull driver out unless I have a forced carry over 250 yards, so I'm pretty confident in that new club...now to deal with my awful Titleist TS2 hybrid at some point soon...That's a club begging for insertion into the nearest wood chipper if there ever was one...

You shoot par golf and you are asking people you never met?  How did you get to par without us?

Seriously, find whatever shafts love you.  Everything else falls into place. I play like crap, age and scoliosis/arthritis injuries.  But I'm thinking of putting a new design 3w head onto a 12 yr old Radix Matrix shafted Adams 3w because the shaft loves me.  (Speedline LP, lo profile, for fairway use).

Drv: PXG 0211, Evnflo Riptide CB Senior, Callaway 454 TI (2004) 10 and an 11, regular flex.

3W: Callaway Steelhead Xr  Tensei Blue CK 55 gram senior. TM Burner Superfast 3.0 M flex.

5W : Titleist TSi 1 on Aldila Ascent 40 regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC 3 18 degree, on Mamiya Recoil reg flex.

4 iron:  forged Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree hollow body.

6 - PW: Ping I 500, on Recoil reg flex.

Gap: 52/9 GFF Mizuno S5, Lob: 60/6 GFF Mizuno T7.

Sand: Ancien Regime 56/12 Hogan Sure Out, Apex shaft. Heavy sole.

Chipper:  Ancien Regime Don Martin "Up n In" bronze or copper. 🙂

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab "R" Ball, face balanced, 2 piece, multi material shaft.🙃

22 hours ago, C_Daddy19 said:

Jeepers, and I thought I was long!  Well, a long time ago maybe I was but never even close to that lol.  I only 

10 hours ago, ctg44 said:

You're a lot faster than me (110-115), but I'm loving the AiSmoke Triple Diamond 3W (15*) I got used at Golf Galaxy last month.  Even with the stock Project X Denali shaft, I've been rocking that on many shots where I'd have been "spraying and praying" with my higher-spinning driver.  I have put a Callaway adapter on my Tensei White AV fairway shaft and will be trying that out too, but even if I don't beat the stock shaft, I can play the tips on most courses as a 50-year-old and not feel like I have to pull driver out unless I have a forced carry over 250 yards, so I'm pretty confident in that new club...now to deal with my awful Titleist TS2 hybrid at some point soon...That's a club begging for insertion into the nearest wood chipper if there ever was one...

Hmmm....what is wrong with the hybrid?

-XY

Posted (edited)

After many years of playing a matched set of Titleist PT metalwoods at 13, 17, 20, and 23°, I had a hard time finding replacements that felt right at address.  I just couldn't get the right combination of loft, lie angle, and face angle that felt comfortable at address. 

The PTs had steel shafts and weren't weighted for graphite, and as much as I liked them, it was time for a change.  The only way I could find clubs that set up like the PTs at address, however, was to go back to wood.  That left me with a huge choice of clubmakers--Louisville Golf and nobody else--but I got a 2, 4, 5, 7 set that has served me well.

Now, I've just made a major investment to go back to metal, considering it's the 21st Century and all, because I found clubs that felt right hitting on the simulator.  Let's see what happens on the course.  

Still no 3-wood, however.   The modern ones are too strong lofted for my comfort.

Edited by RetiredBoomer

I go 15* 3 wood to 22* 4 hybrid to 23* 5 iron. Covers distances fairly well for me. Got about a 30 yard gap between that wood and hybrid but where I typically play it doesn’t matter much. Thinking about swapping hybrid for 7 wood just due to some inconsistency with the hybrid 

- toodles

• Driver: Stealth 2 
  • 3 Wood: Stealth 2
  • 4 Hybrid: Stealth 2
  • 5-GW: PXG 0311P Gen 4
  • SW & LW: TaylorMade Hi-Toe 3
  • Putter: Evnroll ER2B

On 5/2/2024 at 10:19 AM, RetiredBoomer said:

After many years of playing a matched set of Titleist PT metalwoods at 13, 17, 20, and 23°, I had a hard time finding replacements that felt right at address.  I just couldn't get the right combination of loft, lie angle, and face angle that felt comfortable at address. 

The PTs had steel shafts and weren't weighted for graphite, and as much as I liked them, it was time for a change.  The only way I could find clubs that set up like the PTs at address, however, was to go back to wood.  That left me with a huge choice of clubmakers--Louisville Golf and nobody else--but I got a 2, 4, 5, 7 set that has served me well.

Now, I've just made a major investment to go back to metal, considering it's the 21st Century and all, because I found clubs that felt right hitting on the simulator.  Let's see what happens on the course.  

Still no 3-wood, however.   The modern ones are too strong lofted for my comfort.

I play a 16.5* HL 3 wood 

Taylormade  Stealth 2  10.5*   Fujikura Ventus 5 S (tipped an inch)  @ upright @9.75*

Taylormade Stealth 2    HL 16.5* 3 wood Fujikura Ventus     6 S 

Taylormade Stealth 2   7 wood   Fujikura Ventus   7 S

Taylormade P7MC  5-PW  Aerotech Steelfiber  I 95 gm  R 

Tileist SM09 54 & 60* wedges

Ping Anser    

Bridgestone BXS         

I dropped my 3 wood a couple of years ago.  I switched to a 16.5 degree wood.  Call it a 4 wood or high launch wood.  I hit it farther and much more consistent as well.  I will never go back. In fact a 5 wood might be in the near future.  Loft is our friend. 

I carry a BRNR mini driver and a 7 wood, I traded my 3 wood for a 5 wood and carry that sometimes too just depends where I play. The 5 wood is mostly for fun because it is a little inconsistent, I bought a P7 UDI to replace it just waiting for the new shaft to come in. 

Seth

Driver: Cobra Darkspeed X w/ Nemesys Shaft 55 

2 Wood: Taylormade BRNR Mini Driver 13.5

5 Wood: Callaway AI Smoke Triple Diamond

7 Wood: Callaway AI Smoke Triple Diamond

Irons: Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 5-G w/ UST Dart V shafts

Wedges: Taylormade Hi-toe 54 and 58

Putter: Odyssey DW Cruiser converted to armlock

Ball: Vice Pro