Testers Wanted: Newton Driver Shafts ×

Solo tee times?

1 minute ago, Golf2Much said:

At my home course, no singles are allowed.  In fact, there's has to be a minimum of three players in order to book and/or tee off.  As a member, if I show up, want to play and there's no one on the course, they say I need to wait an hour or two until the next available single spot.  If I book for three and only I show up, I'll automatically be charged for the other two golfers.  

That doesn't sound good to me.
I'm not sure how dues-paying members tolerate that unless there are no better near-by alternatives.

I play golf socially with the same friends all the time.

On the very rare occasions that I go out alone,
I don't carry a scorecard and I regularly replay shots.
I'm essentially practicing.

If I'm paying dues, and dues are never cheap,
I wouldn't be happy to be told I couldn't do that.

5 minutes ago, RetiredBoomer said:

That doesn't sound good to me.
I'm not sure how dues-paying members tolerate that unless there are no better near-by alternatives.

The next closest 18 hole golf course is about 130 miles away, so they have what most would say is a monopoly.  

As members, we used to be able to walk the back nine early in the day before the first hole tee times made the turn.  Now, it's $500 extra a year for members if we want to walk.  

Welcome to my world!

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

1 minute ago, Golf2Much said:

The next closest 18 hole golf course is about 130 miles away, so they have what most would say is a monopoly.  

As members, we used to be able to walk the back nine early in the day before the first hole tee times made the turn.  Now, it's $500 extra a year for members if we want to walk.  

Welcome to my world!

My sole journey to Key West was MANY decades ago when I was ten-years old.

I apparently have forgotten how remote it is.

Very pretty but remote, I guess.

Florida doesn't work for me anymore.
No more Boom Boom Room at the Fontainebleau. 
No more Hialeah racetrack.
Spring training baseball, but the kids are middle aged now so they're not coming.

I did, over the years,  definitely have fun there, though.

41 minutes ago, Golf2Much said:

At my home course, no singles are allowed.  In fact, there's has to be a minimum of three players in order to book and/or tee off.  As a member, if I show up, want to play and there's no one on the course, they say I need to wait an hour or two until the next available single spot.  If I book for three and only I show up, I'll automatically be charged for the other two golfers.  

I don't think there's that many singles on a course to worry about ticking groups off with getting played through. Ridiculous business practice to turn away a customer. And they wonder why courses are losing money. 

• Ping G410 Plus, 9*
  • TM AeroBurner 3W 15*
  • Ping G425 Max 5W 17.5*
  • Callaway Razr Tour 3H 21*
  • Srixon ZX5 5-PW, Project X 6.0
  • Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore Black Satin 48*, DG X100 Tour Issue
  • Vokey Oil Can 54*, DG Wedge Flex
  • Vokey Spin Milled 60* DG Wedge Flex
  • LAB DF3, 35.5", 67*, Accra Shaft, Orange. 
  • Jumbomax Tour Series Lg currently trying on the driver. Everything else has Golf Pride MCC Plus 4 Midsize which will be switched to MCC Plus 4 Jumbo in the off-season.

Just ran into this no booking singles a week or so ago when I was meeting up with JP @JohnSmalls. We decided on 12:30 tee time on Golf Now. I went to book mine and it said tee time was not available and I’m looking right at it. JP then went in and booked the two of us and it worked.

Courses just are getting greedy. But in this case the course wasn’t busy at all. Why would you turn down a single when your tee sheet is wide open is just plain dumb.

At a minimum the course should have a check box on the system to either allow or not allow singles. When you’re not busy you allow. Maybe there is such a feature. I don’t really know. But loosing business is bad business.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:vice: Irons, Vice VGI01 Mitsubishi Wiz 60-gram regular flex (6 - PW)

:vice: VGW01, 50 Degree. Mitsubishi Wiz 60-gram regular flex, 

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

Putter, Sacks Parente Drac Center Shafted 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

My home course just added online booking a few months ago. Fortunately, I can book solo times there, but most other courses around me, I cannot.

Before the online booking became available, I would just call the pro shop in the morning and ask if there were any times I could get out there that day. I never had an issue getting on, although it usually meant playing during the hot afternoon.

2023 MGS tester: OnCore VERO X1 ball

2024 MGS tester: Edel Array putter

Driver: Callaway Epic Max 9*

3W: Ping G425 max

Irons: Srixon JX5-MKII (5-PW)

48* Titleist Vokey SM9

52* Cleveland RTX Zipcore

56* Titleist Vokey SM8

Putter: Edel Array B-1

I will try to provide a different viewpoint. 

As some of you know, I operate a semi private facility in Oregon. I have been in the golf business for nearly 30 years. I think that I have a different perspective on some issues, and sharing that perspective might be helpful for some. If you have questions, please DM me and we can discuss....

• Overbooking your group with the intention of showing up with fewer than booked. - Please stop this immediately. I know that you only want to play with your own group. However, golf course inventory is perishable. Every time you overbook a time, knowing that fewer players are going to show up, the course loses the opportunity to sell those times. Forever. That is revenue that can NEVER be recovered. The end result is higher green fees and more restrictive booking policies, like no singles, no show fees, ect...
  • When I travel, I will always play as a single. I have never, and I mean NEVER had trouble getting a spot. I just call the pro or shop staff and am cordial. It is amazing what a little kindness does. 
  • GolfNow. - I don't want to disparage their business model. I think there are many positives that GN brings to the market. Be aware that in certain circumstances, the money you pay GN to book a time does not go to the course. IME, a call to the shop inquiring about booking a "Hot Deal" time directly can pay benefits. Again YMMV.

As an operator, I will do my absolute best to accommodate groups of all sizes, from 1 to 288. Every player is valuable to us. 

Thanks for taking the time to read this.  Have a great September!

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

So many great tips and so many tough places to live to book as a single. I have been looking at every course in my area and I found 3 that will let be book as a single. I found one about 25 minutes away that let me book and I was the first one off the tee as a solo played 18 in just over 2 hours.

I have played as a single most of my adult life.

I don't mind when a course asks me to wait for another group and pairs us off especially if a course is busy. My home course in NJ had that unofficial policy although they would wave it especially if there were gaps I could get through. If it's super packed, I get a course saying we don't want a single, then a two some, then another single having to be jammed behind a group of 4 and all asking to play through. It's easier to pair them all together and have pace be equaled.  I mainly walked on, even though they had online reservations back then.

I will never understand a course turning down a single golfer reservation. I played a ton of single golf in AZ/CA when I was there and almost always they let me play alone when the course is empty even if there was a twosome behind me. Maybe once did they ask if I wanted to wait and hit balls, but that's about it.

To say sorry you need more people to even make a reservation seems disrespectful to those that don't have any playing partners that day or may be on a trip. Especially those like me that don't mind being paired up.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybrid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :callaway-small:  Tour X 2024
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours or Sketchers Max Fairway Go 4

21 hours ago, MmmmmmBuddy said:

I will try to provide a different viewpoint. 

As some of you know, I operate a semi private facility in Oregon. I have been in the golf business for nearly 30 years. I think that I have a different perspective on some issues, and sharing that perspective might be helpful for some. If you have questions, please DM me and we can discuss....

• Overbooking your group with the intention of showing up with fewer than booked. - Please stop this immediately. I know that you only want to play with your own group. However, golf course inventory is perishable. Every time you overbook a time, knowing that fewer players are going to show up, the course loses the opportunity to sell those times. Forever. That is revenue that can NEVER be recovered. The end result is higher green fees and more restrictive booking policies, like no singles, no show fees, ect...
  • When I travel, I will always play as a single. I have never, and I mean NEVER had trouble getting a spot. I just call the pro or shop staff and am cordial. It is amazing what a little kindness does. 
  • GolfNow. - I don't want to disparage their business model. I think there are many positives that GN brings to the market. Be aware that in certain circumstances, the money you pay GN to book a time does not go to the course. IME, a call to the shop inquiring about booking a "Hot Deal" time directly can pay benefits. Again YMMV.

As an operator, I will do my absolute best to accommodate groups of all sizes, from 1 to 288. Every player is valuable to us. 

Thanks for taking the time to read this.  Have a great September!

Great insights! 

WITB-

Driver  -Titleist 910D, 3w- Titleist 910F, 5hy/7hy- Titleist 910H, 6-PW - Stix , 52⁰, 56⁰, 60⁰ - Stix , Putter- AI-ONE DB / Lombardi Tour 34 custom

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

If a single books a tee time online before anyone else, that may turn off someone from selecting that tee time knowing they will be with a stranger. Causing a loss of profit for that tee time. I don't understand why a course wouldn't allow any singles at all.

AJ

PXG Black Ops Driver and Fairway Woods (3 and 7)

PXG 0311 P Gen7 Irons (4-GW)

PXG Sugar Daddy 3 Wedges (54 and 58)

Tommy Armour Impact Blade Putter

I think Pro Shops need to be more proactive in monitoring tee sheets. Tee times are becoming harder to get with the popularity of the game. It is very frustrating to try to get a tee time for a foursome and only find a slew of twosome taking up times. They should combine these groups when possible to free up times.

As someone who also plays as a single most of my rounds due to my work schedule not correlating with most everyone else I am forced to get a round in when I can which is difficult to find others to play with.  

For some to say singles shouldn’t be allowed I am kinda shocked, am I only to pay 3-4 rounds a year in a northern climate?

I understand why they don’t allow a single to book a time and accept it.  I also look at the tee sheet and see when I could likely squeeze in with another group or for big gaps.

It’s frustrating though like yesterday for me when I look at the tee sheet and it’s wide open pretty much all day.  I go and the staff says they are booked al day, but maybe 3 hours from then they could squeeze me in.  I have a membership at this public course and thankfully the pro whom I have decent relationship with said to go to the starter to squeeze me in.  Now what was frustrating is behind me the nearest group didn’t start until I hit 4th hole.

If anyone has a solution to not playing solo to get rounds in I’m open ears.

Driver: Titleist Tsi 3

3 Wood : Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead 3

Hybrid : Hogan Edge CFT Hybrid 3

Irons : Hogan Apex ftx 3 iron

Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4i-GW

Wedge : Taylor Made 56 degree

Vokey Sm8 60 degree s grind

Putter: Evnroll ev11

The pro shop tells singles or walk ins all the time where they can get them in with a twosome or 3some, or any gaps where they can get out. I'm tasked with pushing twosome together. Recently we were given an iPad that allows us to see who has checked in, and if I have 2 2somes show up, I group them and adjust the slots accordingly.   This also connects to the main shop booking tabs and allows them to add more people quickly.

WITB-

Driver  -Titleist 910D, 3w- Titleist 910F, 5hy/7hy- Titleist 910H, 6-PW - Stix , 52⁰, 56⁰, 60⁰ - Stix , Putter- AI-ONE DB / Lombardi Tour 34 custom

1 hour ago, Rob Person said:

The pro shop tells singles or walk ins all the time where they can get them in with a twosome or 3some, or any gaps where they can get out. I'm tasked with pushing twosome together. Recently we were given an iPad that allows us to see who has checked in, and if I have 2 2somes show up, I group them and adjust the slots accordingly.   This also connects to the main shop booking tabs and allows them to add more people quickly.

This all leads to better course utilization and better consistent pace of play.  All are great if there is proper pace monitoring.

I think I learned to play solo more often during Covid.  

While on vacation, I find sometimes I play alone at a very early tee time.  The course can be quite peaceful and you only shared see the turf care people, so you feel like you are the only one there is nice too.  Doesn’t happen often, but it’s cool.

:titelist-small:  TSR 3  9.0  Autoflex 405x - Official Tester 2024

:titelist-small:  TSi 3  15.0 GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:ping-small: Utility 2 Iron 18.0 - Nippon NS Pro 650GH Stiff /  :titelist-small: TS3  21 Hybrid Tensei AV Blue 65 HY Stiff

:Takomo:  4 - 9 101T Irons - KBS Tour Lite Stiff - Official Tester 2023

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 46 F - 10 BV105 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 52 F - 12 Nippon NS Pro 950 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey Forged (Japan) 56 M - 10  DG S200

:taylormade-small: MG3 60 - 12 - Nippon NS Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff

image.gif.2bc8a27613a423a3721fd3b955802132.gif  Champions Choice Newport 2+ Button Back - 35”  /  Pistolini Plus

:srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

:titelist-small: Players 4 bag  image.png.939559f85230fe16347ecf2765438915.png    :redrooster:

:Arccos: Official Tester - 2021 & Current Club Sensor User

12 minutes ago, KC Golf said:

This all leads to better course utilization and better consistent pace of play.  All are great if there is proper pace monitoring.

I think I learned to play solo more often during Covid.  

While on vacation, I find sometimes I play alone at a very early tee time.  The course can be quite peaceful and you only shared see the turf care people, so you feel like you are the only one there is nice too.  Doesn’t happen often, but it’s cool.

We get a number of solos that prefer to play with others.  There are those that play alone because they are preparing for a tournament or event and want the solo thought process.

WITB-

I am from maryland and as far as a tee time go for solo during weekdays usually have no trouble placing a time at any time of the day. But if you try to do solo tee time on a weekend in the mourning most golf courses make you play with either two or four depending on the group they pair you with. I like solo tee times in the afternoon later evening  because I can play 18 holes in about 3 hours with nobody holding me up.  

chris

• 2 weeks later...

Where I'm at, we allow singles to book tee times. We even have times where a tee time can just have one person. If there were to be a uniform policy for all courses regarding singles, I would say if you know you'll be a single, just call the clubhouse and see what's available. I've done that with courses in Coralville, IA and Iowa City, IA and feel it works quite well. The only thing I would want to change is booking for a foursome as a single, and knowing you'll be a single. Theres no reason for it.

Will play anywhere, anytime, with anyone

Regularly play as a single at my home course - how else do you get to practice, not the same as using the range. They are great and actually have it on the booking system that you will never be paired up with anyone else.

I like playing with people mostly, but I enjoy my solitude to play myself and try things out.

:callaway-small: Paradym 10.5 Project X Hzrdus Silver
:callaway-small: Paradym 3HL Project X Hzrdus Silver
:callaway-small: Paradym Heavenwood Project X Hzrdus Silver
:callaway-small: Paradym 4H Project X Hzrdus Silver
:tour-edge: EXS Pro Forged 5-PW True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Stiff
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50/SS Nippon NS Pro Modus3 Tour 105 X Stiff (8i shaft)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54/SS Nippon NS Pro Modus3 Tour 105 X Stiff (8i shaft)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 58/SS Nippon NS Pro Modus3 Tour 105 X Stiff (8i shaft)
:odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Seven with logo-bjm2.png.b7e1077b096fed17a2870b0f63b7837f.png Kotahi grip
seed.png.34e6908c56b2f4a28f3511fa62a86f0d.png SD-01 ball, :ShotScope: X5 Watch, :Clicgear: 8.0+

MGS Galway Bay Rain Gear Review: https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60769-galway-bay-rain-gear-2023-forum-review/

MGS Star Grip Review: https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63328-star-grips-2024-forum-review/

I play as a single at least once a week but walking 90% of the time. For some reason, the courses here are all booked up till you say you're walking, then miraculously they say "Oh, then just come on down" and they let you out. Apparently, they don't care about pace of play or the tee sheet, it's just a matter of cart inventory.

Many of the courses here have gone to charging a green fee and a cart fee separately, so if you're alone you are paying for the full cart fee with can be $15-25 depending on the course. In my experience, the courses in Southern California have no problem with you coming as a single, they will gladly take your money.

When it comes to GolfNow(TeeOff has been cheaper lately), I always take time to read the reviews on the specific course through GolfNow, many are notorious for extra "fees" and rules that weren't in the app, but the reviews will help you steer clear of those courses.

Cobra Aerojet MAX 9* 

Cobra Air X 3 Wood

Cobra BioCell 7 Wood

Sub 70 699 Pro 4-AW

Cleveland CG 56*

Odyssey White Hot Rossie

Ball: Maxfli Tour X