Testers Wanted: Newton Driver Shafts ×

PXG Gen 7 Irons - 2024 Forum Review

9 minutes ago, Shrek74 said:

Nice numbers, and great smash. Are you worried/surprised on the PW spin number? I thought it'd be closer to 8k+.

If I take out the lowest I'm sitting around 7200.  I also take into account that these are range balls and my flight and spin will change on the course. 

It's something I will keep an eye on, but it's not a huge flag currently with seeing the ball stop down range. 

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

23 minutes ago, Josh Parker said:

If I take out the lowest I'm sitting around 7200.  I also take into account that these are range balls and my flight and spin will change on the course. 

It's something I will keep an eye on, but it's not a huge flag currently with seeing the ball stop down range. 

We will see how they compare to your srixons.. so far I am getting more stopping power on the greens. Not exactly sure if it’s from the little bit of extra height or more spin just yet.

I have a cobra rad speed driver, cobra fly z 3 and 5 wood, taylormade m1 irons (5-PW), Top Flite Gamer wedges (52,56,60), and odyssey white ice putter. When I’m playing to keep score I typically play the Maxfli Tour X. When just getting a round in with friends or scrambling I play whatever I might find on the course or might find at the bottom of my bag.

2 minutes ago, Coulter said:

We will see how they compare to your srixons.. so far I am getting more stopping power on the greens. Not exactly sure if it’s from the little bit of extra height or more spin just yet.

Looking at the historical data for the Srixons, I was getting over 10k spin but around 52ish ft in height on PW.  It will be interesting to see what it is later this week.

13 hours ago, Javs said:

The Gen 7 P’s are the PXG players distance club and the 0317 is the players club.

For sure on the type of iron they are, but was wondering if there was a noticeable difference in feel and to what degree of forgiveness does each provide over the other? the 0317T are the only hollow body injection player iron in the 317 line and wonder how they compare in our testers hands if they have ever hit them. If not, all gouda. Was hoping 😄

Edited by Chux13

Chux Bag o' Magic:

:PXG: Black Ops 10.5°

:PXG: 0317X Proto Hybrids (17°/19°)

:PXG: 0211 XCor 2021 Irons (5-PW)

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 46° wedge

Juggernaut Max CB Full Face 52,56,60° Wedges

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 custom broomstick

:callaway-small: Chrome Tour ballz

Tech: Garmin R10/Galaxy Watch 5 Pro Golf Edition

---Opus Platinum Forum Testing Review---

5 minutes ago, Chux13 said:

For sure on the type of iron they are, but was wondering if there was a noticeable difference in feel and to what degree of forgiveness does each provide over the other? the 0317T are the only hollow body injection player iron in the 317 line and wonder how they compare in our testers hands if they have ever hit them. If not, all gouda. Was hoping 😄

I don't believe any of us hit them during the fitting as it wasn't in the cards to play.  I know I personally did not hit them.  

41 minutes ago, Chux13 said:

Like Josh, didn't hit them. 

I can say the XP's are more forgiving than the P's, but maybe a little too much help in that I tend to hit lasers with the XPs. And for what it's worth, my old set was a combo of Edel SMS and SMS Pro, and the Pro's are certainly a "players iron." They're surprisingly forgiving for a smaller clubhead, but having said that, the P's are leaps and bounds more forgiving. To me that's the big obvious takeaway from the P's so far...off center strikes still maintain a LOT of distance and playability.

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Qi10 7w, 21, :Fuji: Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff 

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Accra TZ 95 stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, 60 T Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :EVNROLL: EV8

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

45 minutes ago, Chux13 said:

Sorry I have only hit the P’s. I haven’t tried the 0317’s.

Play like a champion today!

I don't think this has been posted in this thread yet, if it has my apologies, but this one does a good job of highlighting the main performance differences between the XP and the P.

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, 60 T Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

1 hour ago, GolfSpy AFG said:

Like Josh, didn't hit them. 

I can say the XP's are more forgiving than the P's, but maybe a little too much help in that I tend to hit lasers with the XPs. And for what it's worth, my old set was a combo of Edel SMS and SMS Pro, and the Pro's are certainly a "players iron." They're surprisingly forgiving for a smaller clubhead, but having said that, the P's are leaps and bounds more forgiving. To me that's the big obvious takeaway from the P's so far...off center strikes still maintain a LOT of distance and playability.

I find the XP’s too chunky (wide) on the top line and sole. I agree that the P’s are one of the most forgiving players distance clubs that I have hit. 

I really appreciate the feedback folks, thanks a ton. Really looking forward to the final reviews and all the other feedback so far. I have not been this excited to hear about a set of irons in a while and cannot wait to get to a PXG and check them out myself.

Chux Bag o' Magic:

:PXG: Black Ops 10.5°

:PXG: 0317X Proto Hybrids (17°/19°)

:PXG: 0211 XCor 2021 Irons (5-PW)

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 46° wedge

Juggernaut Max CB Full Face 52,56,60° Wedges

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 custom broomstick

:callaway-small: Chrome Tour ballz

Tech: Garmin R10/Galaxy Watch 5 Pro Golf Edition

---Opus Platinum Forum Testing Review---

9 minutes ago, Chux13 said:

I really appreciate the feedback folks, thanks a ton. Really looking forward to the final reviews and all the other feedback so far. I have not been this excited to hear about a set of irons in a while and cannot wait to get to a PXG and check them out myself.

Of course!  Anything specific, don't hesitate to ask. 

I'll give you one more anecdote on the XPs today.  They certainly spin less, but they do spin.

This is the par 3 17th at my home course.  

image.png

If you're having a hard time reading the text from the snip I just pulled off the course site, it's basically a very upbill par 3 with a narrow green...long is dead because you can't keep a chip on the green coming back, short is in the traps.  You take par and walk away very happy here.

Yesterday I lasered it at 188 playing 202, into a club of wind. I pulled 5 iron and hit it pin-high, and made the birdie. (And the Skin!)

I like the XPs; they're solid. Yes, they spin less and border on driving iron, but they are uber-forgiving and can really help a golfer out, especially in the long clubs. 

I was able to get out for about 20 minutes today after work and hit balls with the pitching wedge and 9 iron. Boy was I all over the place. I ended up deleting quite a few shots to try and get rid of the ridiculously thinned and just bad shots in general. I don’t think it would be fair to either the pxg or my sub70 clubs to post the results from today’s session to be honest. I had a pretty tough day at work and think that really contributed to so many bad shots. 

I have a cobra rad speed driver, cobra fly z 3 and 5 wood, taylormade m1 irons (5-PW), Top Flite Gamer wedges (52,56,60), and odyssey white ice putter. When I’m playing to keep score I typically play the Maxfli Tour X. When just getting a round in with friends or scrambling I play whatever I might find on the course or might find at the bottom of my bag.

2 minutes ago, Coulter said:

I was able to get out for about 20 minutes today after work and hit balls with the pitching wedge and 9 iron. Boy was I all over the place. I ended up deleting quite a few shots to try and get rid of the ridiculously thinned and just bad shots in general. I don’t think it would be fair to either the pxg or my sub70 clubs to post the results from today’s session to be honest. I had a pretty tough day at work and think that really contributed to so many bad shots. 

s*** happens. Shake it off and get back on the horse when time permits. Forget about today. 

6 minutes ago, Coulter said:

We all have those days. Tomorrow is a new one. 

Interesting data today.  The distance was shorter than "normal" but I was also hitting into a 10mph wind so I'm not too worried about that.  What was interesting is that with the swing changes, I produced a higher ball flight than I have seen with these clubs.  I do think they could use some optimizing but that's not for this thread.  

This is for a comparison of the two sets.   I will say that it took more effort to get the ball in the air like this, but dispersion is similar.

IMG_0052.png.80cda51340493b31b892a611ba89a63f.png

SRIXON PW

IMG_0053.png.2673f106cab6c0a8a95af467b29057cf.png

PXG GEN 7 PW

IMG_0048.png.be71609b736a00f2bf59ec72c3466ee9.png

1 hour ago, Josh Parker said:

Interesting data today.  The distance was shorter than "normal" but I was also hitting into a 10mph wind so I'm not too worried about that.  What was interesting is that with the swing changes, I produced a higher ball flight than I have seen with these clubs.  I do think they could use some optimizing but that's not for this thread.  

This is for a comparison of the two sets.   I will say that it took more effort to get the ball in the air like this, but dispersion is similar.

SRIXON PW

PXG GEN 7 PW

How much do you think lift from the wind might have been affecting these shots?

16 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

How much do you think lift from the wind might have been affecting these shots?

Not a ton. The flight was pretty good and I wouldn't say it ballooned. 

2 hours ago, Josh Parker said:

SRIXON PW

PXG GEN 7 PW

Looks like a higher flight with 6 more yards and tighter dispersion. All good things!

8 minutes ago, Javs said:

Looks like a higher flight with 6 more yards and tighter dispersion. All good things!

The PXGs had a better dispersion in all directions which is great. 

1 minute ago, sirchunksalot said:

That's good to know, thanks Josh!

Yesterday's weather was pretty calm.  

I do like that the PXGs were closer in distance and side to side dispersion. It says a ton for the fitting process and fitter for PXG. 

4 hours ago, Josh Parker said:

SRIXON PW

PXG GEN 7 PW

very good and clear info...

committed to performance excellence

11 hours ago, Jim Shaw said:

very good and clear info...

Thanks!  I think it shows what a good fitting can really do with clubs.  I don't think the Srixons were misfit for my "old" swing, but they don't make the new swing easy, and I feel it in the clubs.  

36 minutes ago, Josh Parker said:

Thanks!  I think it shows what a good fitting can really do with clubs.  I don't think the Srixons were misfit for my "old" swing, but they don't make the new swing easy, and I feel it in the clubs.  

wow...the transformation is obvious in the numbers, and another thing that impresses me is how quickly the fitting and your swing melded into positive results. Both the PXG and the lighter shaft intrigue me. Are you going to be putting the longer irons on the trackman as well?

5 minutes ago, Jim Shaw said:

wow...the transformation is obvious in the numbers, and another thing that impresses me is how quickly the fitting and your swing melded into positive results. Both the PXG and the lighter shaft intrigue me. Are you going to be putting the longer irons on the trackman as well?

I have posted the PXG 6 iron numbers already and still plan on posting the 8i and 6i with the Srixons.  I got called off yesterday before being able to hit them.  

The lighter shaft did catch me off-guard as well but I think its a much lighter head than the Srixons.  They do have my SW as a D1 where the Srixons are D4.  I want to say the standard length PXG would have been C8 before the 1/2in length add.

12 minutes ago, Josh Parker said:

I have posted the PXG 6 iron numbers already and still plan on posting the 8i and 6i with the Srixons.  I got called off yesterday before being able to hit them.  

The lighter shaft did catch me off-guard as well but I think its a much lighter head than the Srixons.  They do have my SW as a D1 where the Srixons are D4.  I want to say the standard length PXG would have been C8 before the 1/2in length add.

wow, C8...ok now I am really intrigued, might be time to play around a bit with light, lighter, lightest....I will check for the 6 iron results

1 minute ago, Jim Shaw said:

wow, C8...ok now I am really intrigued, might be time to play around a bit with light, lighter, lightest....I will check for the 6 iron results

Yeah, had the PXG's been regular length it would have ended up in C8.  It's interesting to see how the specs shook out.  They are working well and with golf, I have learned to just go with the flow and use what works.  

1 hour ago, Josh Parker said:

@Josh Parker

It's great to see how much you're enjoying the PXG irons!  It's no secret they'll be a fixture in your golf bag. 😀

PXG 0211

15* Taylormade Sim 2 max

18* hybrid (Taylormade)

22* hybrid (Adams)

25* hybrid (Tour edge)

irons - Callaway Big Bertha 2002 (It's a long story!)

Putter - Odyssey AI one 2 ball DB 35¨

18 minutes ago, Lefty11 said:

@Josh Parker

It's great to see how much you're enjoying the PXG irons!  It's no secret they'll be a fixture in your golf bag. 😀

They are absolutely making a splash!