Testers Wanted: Newton Driver Shafts ×

Oldie but Still Relevant Goodie? Callaway X14 Steelhead Iron Review: 20 years later.

Who is with me that newer doesn’t always mean better?

As a semi-competitive golfer, I've spent a fair amount of time with the Callaway X14 Steelhead Irons, and let me tell you—they’ve continued to impress me throughout the years. I’ve stepped away from these irons a couple times, but every time I break them back out I fall in love all over again. 

The X14s, introduced in the early 2000s, still hold up remarkably well today. The classic design features a larger cavity back and a wider sole, which offers excellent forgiveness on off-center hits. The feel at impact is solid and reassuring, with a satisfying feedback that lets you know exactly where you made contact with the ball.

One of the standout attributes of these irons is their consistency. Whether you're hitting a full shot or a delicate chip, the X14s provide reliable trajectory and distance control. The perimeter weighting helps mitigate mishits, making them a great option for players looking to improve their accuracy and consistency.

On the downside, the X14s do have a slightly chunky look compared to modern, sleeker designs. For players who prefer a more compact, tour-inspired iron, these might feel a bit dated. Additionally, the stock shafts might not be ideal for everyone, so getting fitted for your specific swing could be beneficial. Personally- I upgraded my stock shafts quite some time ago to True Temper Dynamic Gold.

Overall, the Callaway X14 Steelhead Irons are a solid choice for those who value forgiveness and consistency. While they may not have all the bells and whistles of newer models, their performance and reliability make them a worthwhile consideration for both seasoned golfers and those looking to improve their game. I personally believe that you’d be hard pressed to find a better value set whether you’re just getting into golf, or trying to rekindle an old flame with some legitimately great clubs from the not so distant past. 

Have any of you used the irons? Anybody that still uses them? Let’s discuss in the comments! 

IMG_6100.jpeg

CrashBrandoCoot

Callaway Mavrik Driver

Callaway Mavrik 3 wood

Callaway Rogue ST Heavenwood

Callaway X-14 Steelhead 3i-AW

Odyssey Eleven Triple Track DB 

11.5 current HCI

LOL I will be the last to criticize someone playing older stuff. Look at my signature

I have a friend of mine who has played a set of S2-H2 Bertha irons ever since new. He was scratch back then and even though he has aged and moved up a couple of tees he is still right around scratch now

Yeah I am one of the most brand or era agnostic guys on here.

Hey if the old stuff works and you enjoy it by all means play it

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Speeder 565 R flex- - 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R---- Irons 5 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex steel shafts--- SW -- Cleveland 588 56* S-400 Sensicore --- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter 1997 Scotty Cameron Santa Fe Fluted Bulls Eye shaft--- Bag TM Flex Lite Stand---- Yeah I know only 11 clubs 

G

• 2 weeks later...

I currently have the Steelhead X-16s in the bag. Only got back into golf this year after putting the clubs away 15 years ago. I have a love, hate relationship with mine. Upgrading to a set of PXG Gen6 as we speak so excited to see how the modern clubs can help (hopefully)

Glad to see you're still enjoying them!

O. Dunningham

• 3 weeks later...

I was playing them for a few years when I hung up the clubs for a 15 year layoff in 2008. They were easier to hit than the 1990's S2H2's I had before but provided significantly less feedback.. But while I am not a low handicapper, I hit my irons pretty well and they felt chunky and imprecise after I hit a few modern designs last year when I returned to the game. I went to the Rogue ST Max briefly and then my current Rogue ST Pro's and am much happier with them in every way.