Testers Wanted: Newton Driver Shafts ×

Unofficial Review - ACCRA Shogun Blue Driver Shaft - In Brief

IndyBonzo

I acquired an ACCRA Shogun Blue 42 model shaft about a month ago.  The Shogun is ACCRA's new 2024 top line shaft.  And I am falling in love with it.

The Blue model has been described as competing with the Autoflex shaft.  Mine is the M0 (ladies flex) at a lightweight 43 grams, paired with the Callaway Paradym AI Smoke 🔹🔹🔹 Max head at 9* and 45" and tipped 1/2".

Accra describes the Shogun Blue as follows:  "The most stable, 'extreme response design', in the industry. Shōgun Blue promotes maximum bend, fast recovery speed and optimal stability. Any golfer looking for the extreme in distance, The Shōgun Blue is being used by many of the top World Long Drive competitors due to it’s performance and stability characteristics and now every golfer can benefit from this technology."

I am familiar with this type of shaft, as I have been a user and proponent of the Otto-Phlex shafts discussed elsewhere in the forum.  Also, my prior gamer was a similar ACCRA FX shaft also in an M0 flex, and I have ACCRA FX shafts in all my fairway woods and hybrids.  My driver swing speed hovers around 97-103 +/- mph.

Shogun.jpg.51aa28bec1202e8eafc3b18e6526fee1.jpg

Why do I find myself adoring this shaft?

I have been fortunate to play golf regularly over the last few weeks and have dialed in the shaft/head combo.  My results have been excellent.

First, in three rounds last weekend, I had three drives around 300 yards (with the longest at 306), and not aided by downhill slopes.  Previously, 300 yard drives were rare for me.  And these were rounds where I hit driver on only 6 or 7 of 18 holes.  Ball flight is high but piercing, and roll out is very good.  Here are three examples.  

s2.jpg.c0c81a025fff6e84a12d41c4e06342eb.jpg

s3.jpg.c8a8422209377ce56aac892a92f7f91b.jpg

s1.jpg.26d620b7606c2406f3330ca2b0bb083e.jpg

Second, my ShotScope performance driving average increased over the last five rounds from 265 to 271 yards.  Sure, I still have some short shots when I swing poorly, but far fewer than before.

Third, and most importantly, accuracy is greatly improved.  Driver has been inconsistent for me historically.  But this shaft/head combo has almost taken the left miss out of the equation.  See below results from the last five rounds.

ShogunII.jpg.de920b7febcdb4818bcbb43e5d119424.jpg

42% fairways hit for me is really amazing.  And the right misses are very manageable, usually being at most 15 yards off the fairway unless I really quit on my follow-through (which is, still, a common failing).  They end up being a push, or a slight fade - not a slice, and in bounds and playable.  That is so very encouraging!  Seeing this data, I am going to be braver about aiming down the left side of the fairway.

Finally, I love the feel.  Yes, there is some "whippiness" at address, but I don't feel that at impact at all.  Feedback is excellent too; I know instantly if I hit the ball well and where it is headed without looking.  

All in all, this shaft has been a welcome upgrade.  I expect it to stay in the bag for a long, long time.

Working at getting better ... and very slowly getting there.

•  :callaway-small: Paradym 🔹🔹🔹 8* (:accra:  Shogun Blue M0 Otto-Phlex)
  •  :taylormade-small: Brnr Mini driver 13.5* (:accra: FX 3.0 140 M1 Otto-Phlex)
  • :callaway-small: Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids
  •  Maltby TS3 (4-8)/TS4 (9-PW)/TS1 (GW) (shafts:  :projectx: LZ 6.0)
  • :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore 53*, and 58* mid wedges (:projectx: wedge shafts 6.5)
  • :L.A.B.: DF 2.1 (BTG shaft)
  • :redrooster: Gloves

My Official 2024 TaylorMade Qi10 Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/62804-taylormade-qi10-drivers-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1014200

My Official 2023 Red Rooster Sussex Glove Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/58614-2023-mgs-forum-member-test-red-rooster-sussex-golf-glove/#comment-911042

@IndyBonzo ... Your swing speed matches mine, would you say you have a quick, sharp transition or more of a smooth transition?  

I am a big accra fan and given the distance results you are getting i may be hooked!!!  

Now i am off the the "what equipment are you thinking about" thread!  😱

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex; :callaway-logo-1: Mavrik 18* 5w;  :mizuno-small: JPX 919 HM Pro 4i;  :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

6 minutes ago, Shapotomous said:

@IndyBonzo ... Your swing speed matches mine, would you say you have a quick, sharp transition or more of a smooth transition?  

I am a big accra fan and given the distance results you are getting i may be hooked!!!  

Now i am off the the "what equipment are you thinking about" thread!  😱

I try to have a smooth transition with a slight pause at the top of the backswing.  Without that my upper and lower body get out of sync.

The Shogun will likely prefer a smooth transition.  But it happily accepts all the acceleration you can give it through the ball.  I hope that helps!

• :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore 53*, and 58* mid wedges (:projectx: wedge shafts 6.5)

My Official 2024 TaylorMade Qi10 Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/62804-taylormade-qi10-drivers-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1014200

My Official 2023 Red Rooster Sussex Glove Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/58614-2023-mgs-forum-member-test-red-rooster-sussex-golf-glove/#comment-911042

Very nice!! Curious, I know you said you use other Accra shafts, but what led you into this model? Did you try it first at a fitter or just jump in? Thx

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
3H...Cobra King Tec (MMT 70/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha '19 (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
SW, LW...Mizuno ES21 54-08, 60-06 (KBS Hi Rev 2.0)
Putter...
MLA Tour XDream or EvnRoll ER5
...all in a Bag Boy hybrid bag on an MGI Zip Navigator.
..ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour. Or "found" Pro V1.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)
Other tests: MLA putter; Cleveland Hi Bore driver; Ben Hogan hybrids.

followthrough.jpg

Those are some very nice drives you have…hoping the Accra shaft continues to work well for you!

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Stealth 3 wood

Titleist U510 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, cksurfdude said:

Very nice!! Curious, I know you said you use other Accra shafts, but what led you into this model? Did you try it first at a fitter or just jump in? Thx

TBH I watched as many reviews as I could find on YT (although not many available) and found a good price and knowledgeable seller/ fitter on the Bay and jumped.  It helps I have built up tons of faith in ACCRA.   I’m so glad I did.  This launch seems very UTR for ACCRA.  I am so impressed too.  I think it can be a godsend for lots of folks like me.  Still having great success with it!

Edited by IndyBonzo

• 4 weeks later...